Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Power walk: Dutton, Cormann in secret talks

KEY conservative powerbroker Mathias Cormann and Liberal leadership aspirant Peter Dutton have been meeting for secret talks most mornings this week.

After a week of leadership turmoil for Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull, The Courier-Mail can exclusively reveal the pair has been meeting, early morning for a walk and talk.

Finance Minister Senator Mathias Cormann was the numbers man for former Prime Minister Tony Abbott during the 2015 spill and remained with him until the end.

Immigration Minister Peter Dutton has been shaping up as the favourite to be the next Liberal leader, particularly among conservatives, because of his ability talk straight and cut through.

This morning the pair continued with the early morning walk down Red Hill towards Parliament, dressed in exercise gear, joggers and baseball caps pulled down.

Neither Minister responded when asked for comment this morning on what brought them together.

While there has been little mood among Government MPs for a leadership change, Mr Turnbull has been dogged by agitation from his predecessor Tony Abbott, who last week accused the Turnbull Government of being “Labor lite” and at risk of a “drift to defeat”.

Senator Cormann dramatically shut down the former leader, calling his comments “sad” and “destructive”.

But on Monday a Newspoll revealed the Government was trailing Labor by 10 points on a two-party preferred basis, while its Coalition’s primary support was at 34 per cent — five points lower than when Mr Turnbull successfully challenged Mr Abbott.

The Prime Minister warned his Liberal colleagues against further disruption, telling their party room meeting on Tuesday “disunity is death”.

The leadership questions have given more ammunition to the Opposition, with Mr Shorten having his own message for Caucus this week.

“Malcolm Turnbull’s only achievement this year as Prime Minister has been to make Peter Dutton look like a candidate for the leadership,” he told his colleagues this week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Konomex posted:

One more thing. When driverless cars exist, and they will. What do we do with all the unemployed uber/taxi/truck/bus drivers?

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Leaked Liberal polling forecasts huge WA election loss for Premier Colin Barnett

The WA Liberal Party's internal polling shows the state government is in a "far worse" position than that shown by published surveys, which point to a Coalition loss on Saturday, and the preference deal with One Nation is to blame.

A source who has seen polling conducted for the WA Liberal Party one week ago said the government was facing a two-party preferred position of 57-43.

This could lead to the Liberal-Nationals Coalition haemorrhaging as many as 20 seats.

The party has already given up hope in several seats including the marginals of Forrestfield, held by Nathan Morton, and Perth, held by Eleni Evangel. But a source familiar with internal tactics said the party was also not expecting to hold the seats of Joondalup, which is held by Jan Norberger with a 10 per cent margin, Jandakot and Kalamunda, currently held by Health Minister John Day with a similar margin.

The party believes Labor could also pick up the seats of Southern River, Darling Range, Belmont, Mount Lawley, Bunbury, Bicton, Balcatta, Wanneroo, Burns Beach and Riverton - all currently held by the Liberals with double-digit margins.

The 57-43 position is far worse than Fairfax Media's ReachTel poll results published four days ago. That survey put the LNP trailing Mark McGowan's Labor party 48-52.

A Galaxy poll published on the weekend in the Sunday Times newspaper had the government in a worse position of 46-54.

WA Liberal state director Andrew Cox did not respond to Fairfax Media's requests for comment. Last month Mr Cox approved a deal for the Liberals to preference One Nation above their National Party Coalition partners in the Upper House in country regions.

The Liberal source said the dismal forecast for this weekend's state election was the result of a major backlash to the Liberal Party's preference deal with One Nation.

"Liberals want to be able to say we're for stronger borders but we're not racists," the source said.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Replace the traffic stick men with dank memes

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Rural Victorians are basically Queenslanders

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

I poll Melbourne and the issues are climate change and housing

I call anywhere else in Victoria and the number one issue is the council is stopping Vinnie from doing burnouts in the cul-de-sac.

Also muslims

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Anidav do you have a switch yet?

I do.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

*Sends Campbell Newman to the seat of Indi*

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

QLD Labor are cheeky fuckers but won't this just drive more votes to ONP dooming us all?

Metal Gear?

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

QLD is going to be fine.

Absolutely fine.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Link?

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Is ABC News 24 streaming coverage or what? I need video feeds of broken dreams!

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Ally with One Nation thinking that the Nationals are a dead horse

Racist voters see you trying to ally and go back to the nationals

One Nation vote tanks as voters go back to the Nationals

Accidentally tie yourself to a dead horse thinking it's a living horse

Piss off the living horse thinking it's a dead horse

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Absolutely destroyed.

WA and QLD BFF

NSW and TAS are now the only Lib govts left?

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

I cannot wait for Quirk to fall.

My Rod will be Harding

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Libs down to 10 :eyepop:

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Isnt the Tasmanian guy pretty popular as well?

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

One term Dan.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

*sighs of relief for Australia maybe improving*

*Looks at QLD eating its own poo poo in the corner and listening to its little brother Ipswich telling QLD to burn it all down*

Qld ALP: Abortion, maybe?

*keeps eating own feces and mumbling about muslim bikies shooting property investors on the Gold Coast*

MEANWHILE BRISBANE INSISTS THAT BUSES WITH RUBBER TIRES ARE NOT ACTUALLY BUSES BUT A MYSTERIOUS VECHICLE SIMPLY CALLED "METRO"

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Jonah Galtberg posted:

Stop talking about a state nobody cares about except as a distant curiosity, Anidav

Your guilty conscience may force you to only care about NSW and VIC but deep down you yearn for a cold hearted Queenslander to experiment with fascism, brutalise bikies and rule you like a king!

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Let us remember the pre election articles

A tired premier, a surging One Nation, and a risk-averse alternative: how the west was lost

Perth: Gary Flatt had been a Labor voter all his life, just like his train driver dad. Then John Howard came along.

"He was probably the greatest PM we ever had," says Flatt, a power station operations technician from Collie, a mining town of 7000 people two hours' drive south of Perth. "He was a strong leader."

Since Howard, though, he's been fed up with both major parties, and won't be voting for either at Saturday's WA state election.

"One wants to let in thousands of refugees and the other wants to sell off the power grid," Flatt says.

Instead he'll be voting for Pauline Hanson's One Nation: "She's a force to be reckoned with now."

The Harley Davidson enthusiast – who has a bushy beard, tattoos covering both arms and gold rings on his fingers – supports weekend penalty rates and big infrastructure spending. But he's sceptical of renewable power and Muslims ("The ones in the cities are not integrating. They should fit in or f--- off.")

"We should stop all foreign aid, freeze all politicians' wages, get rid of the deficit, drug and alcohol testing for everyone on the dole," he says.

"We need a Donald Trump in Australia."

According to Perth-based election analyst William Bowe, Flatt's hometown of Collie has much in common with the rust-bucket areas in the US that turned for Trump.

"If there is a One Nation boilover anywhere, I've got my eye on that seat," he said recently.

Home to two mines and three power stations, Collie has been hit hard by the downturn in coal prices. Last year local mine operator Griffin Coal, which was taken over by an Indian conglomerate in 2011, handed workers a 40 per cent pay cut.

"There is a lot of anger in the town at the moment," says Darren Flatt, Gary's nephew, who joins us for a chat outside the local bakery.

He was laid off by Griffin two years ago after 27 years service and says the mine owners are "mongrels".

Both his apprentice sons would like to stay in town and work but don't think there will be jobs for them.

FACEBOOK SHARE

EMAIL

TWITTER

WHATSAPP
Politics
News
List subcategories
SAVE
LICENSE ARTICLE
232 READING NOW
A tired premier, a surging One Nation, and a risk-averse alternative: how the west was lost
Advertisement

Matthew Knott
16 hrs ago
Play Video
Who are you Mark McGowan?
Perth: Gary Flatt had been a Labor voter all his life, just like his train driver dad. Then John Howard came along.

"He was probably the greatest PM we ever had," says Flatt, a power station operations technician from Collie, a mining town of 7000 people two hours' drive south of Perth. "He was a strong leader."

Since Howard, though, he's been fed up with both major parties, and won't be voting for either at Saturday's WA state election.

"One wants to let in thousands of refugees and the other wants to sell off the power grid," Flatt says.

RELATED CONTENT

Fighting for his political life: on the road in WA with Eric Abetz's brother
WA election: An idiot's guide to preferences and voting
Instead he'll be voting for Pauline Hanson's One Nation: "She's a force to be reckoned with now."

The Harley Davidson enthusiast – who has a bushy beard, tattoos covering both arms and gold rings on his fingers – supports weekend penalty rates and big infrastructure spending. But he's sceptical of renewable power and Muslims ("The ones in the cities are not integrating. They should fit in or f--- off.")

SHARE ON FACEBOOK
SHARE ON TWITTER
LINK

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/fed...309-guv2b1.html
Collie resident Gary Flatt in the main street of Collie.
Collie resident Gary Flatt in the main street of Collie. Photo: Tony McDonough
"We should stop all foreign aid, freeze all politicians' wages, get rid of the deficit, drug and alcohol testing for everyone on the dole," he says.

"We need a Donald Trump in Australia."

SHARE ON FACEBOOK
SHARE ON TWITTER
LINK

Pauline Hanson on the Hustings in Kalgoorlie.
Pauline Hanson on the Hustings in Kalgoorlie. Photo: Dean Sewell
According to Perth-based election analyst William Bowe, Flatt's hometown of Collie has much in common with the rust-bucket areas in the US that turned for Trump.

"If there is a One Nation boilover anywhere, I've got my eye on that seat," he said recently.

SHARE ON FACEBOOK
SHARE ON TWITTER
LINK

Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull with Julie Bishop and Premier Colin Barnett.
Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull with Julie Bishop and Premier Colin Barnett. Photo: Andrew Meares
Home to two mines and three power stations, Collie has been hit hard by the downturn in coal prices. Last year local mine operator Griffin Coal, which was taken over by an Indian conglomerate in 2011, handed workers a 40 per cent pay cut.

"There is a lot of anger in the town at the moment," says Darren Flatt, Gary's nephew, who joins us for a chat outside the local bakery.

Photo gallery
Pauline Hanson in Perth
He was laid off by Griffin two years ago after 27 years service and says the mine owners are "mongrels".

Both his apprentice sons would like to stay in town and work but don't think there will be jobs for them.

SHARE ON FACEBOOK
SHARE ON TWITTER
LINK

Colin Barnett, Brendon Grylls, Pauline Hanson and Mark McGowan. Illustration by Alan Moir.
Colin Barnett, Brendon Grylls, Pauline Hanson and Mark McGowan. Illustration by Alan Moir.
There's clearly fertile ground for populist politicians like Hanson in towns like Collie. Many homes proudly fly the Aussie flag; on the main street one man passing by has the southern cross on his cap, another on his singlet.

There's no political correctness either. It's "skimpy" night at the Victoria Hotel when Fairfax Media visits for dinner on International Women's Day. The barmaid wears a red bikini top, sequined knickers and knee high socks.

But – despite all the hype – it's far from certain One Nation's seeds will bloom on election day in the west.

Hanson has dominated media coverage and spent the past week travelling across the state, building up expectations of a thumping result.

But, rather than the tour de force she had hoped, it's been a train wreck.

Hanson's comments on Sunday's Insiders program questioning vaccination caused an uproar, overshadowing anything she had to say about state issues. Four days later, Hanson admitted she was wrong to say parents could test their children for adverse reactions to vaccines.

Since then, she's contradicted state leader Colin Ticknell on whether she supported taking GST revenue from her home state of Queensland and giving it to WA ("I think Colin Ticknell has had a senior's moment," she said.)

A former state president and his wife, aged 87 and 79, announced they were suing Hanson for age discrimination, claiming she had sacked them because they were "too old".

Throughout the campaign, Hanson has been dogged by questions about her preference deal with the Liberal Party. She insists the preference swap was necessary for One Nation to break into the state Parliament.

But the decision infuriated candidates such as Collie-Preston contender David Miller, an electrical fitter and traditional Labor voter who spoke out against the deal.

Rather than giving the major parties the middle finger, Hanson was now cutting backroom deals with them. It made her look like something dangerous if you're fishing for votes in the anti-establishment pond: a regular politician.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

DON PUNCH!

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

I approve of Labor electing known and loved Double Dragon and Contra mini-boss Don Punch.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't that a 18-18 deadlock?

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Oh man. I LOVE Coopers Extra Stout

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

In Queensland, the WA result has been watched closely by the state Labor government, which must go to the polls by May 2018.

Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk had looked likely to call an election for late 2017 but party strategists said the WA result - and a series of mistakes by Senator Hanson and her candidates - meant February 2018 had now firmed as preferred polling date.

The Queensland Liberal National Party has refused to rule out doing a preference deal with One Nation, instead saying it would examine options on a seat-by-seat basis. Senator Hanson has indicated her party would consider something similar.

One Nation is still expected to do well in its heartland state, with Labor and the LNP worried about outer urban and inner regional seats falling to the Hanson-led movement.

In WA, One Nation chalked up its highest vote share (12.7 per cent) in Moore, an outer metropolitan region north of Perth, and Mandurah, to the south of the capital. The demographics of those seats are similar to some in western Sydney and Melbourne.

One Nation secured an average of 8.1 per cent in seats the party ran candidates in. It is expected to win at least two upper house seats, with the help of Liberal preferences.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Only asshats use Freudian theories.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Simple words, but he could sense my despair and confusion behind them. He paused. “I can, Sonic,” he began. He did not shy away. This experience was such that it shrouded his every moment. “Have you heard of Planet Freedom? "

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

I like how Swan got his rear end beat for the half assed mining tax and came back from excile as a god-drat communist.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

The answer is 200 houses

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Slutlungs strikes back.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Howdy friends the pills I've seen have been testing the term "energy security"

And how we need more coal plants or else our energy is insecure.

Also nuclear power is back on the table, multiple tests.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Oh and someone check on Foxtel to see if they're okay

Hmm. I think I want to go to Victoria before its too late.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

NoNotTheMindProbe posted:

We're going to get it right this year for sure. It's our turn! I can feel it!

I wonder what happened in 2012 to 2013. Really activates your almonds

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

"Have you tried killing the poor? "

" just because we ran it though a computer simulation doesn't mean we would actually do it."

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

This Newspoll might have a bunch of questions about energy security in it. Which really would give the Liberals the edge because most people are still in the "Solar isn't there yet" mentality.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

JBP posted:

Is there any rational reason the LNP got a bump in polls outside of Snowy river? I've felt like they were losing momentum and looking awful lately. What have I missed if anything?

Union Lady saying breaking the law is okay has flipped alot of older people back to the LNP.

You know the complicated SWING BOOMERS

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Doug Stubbs and his wife Sue, who live at Collingwood Park in southwest Brisbane, are doing it hard, because Centrelink has refused to grant them disability and the carers allowance.

An internal review stuck with the original decision and now the case is going before the Administrative Appeals Tribunal. But it is dragging out and the bills, including medical expenses, still must be paid.

Supporters are raising money to help them get by. The 55-year old former transport contractor has undergone a series of surgical and other procedures that have made him unable to work and he needs care at home. His disability is the result of a horrific motorcycle accident that resulted in multiple fractures, an acquired brain injury and a right arm amputation.

Despite this, he did not generate enough points on the Centrelink test to qualify for payment.

A Centrelink Officer wrote, “While I accept that your right, dominant hand is non-functional as a result of the amputation, there is no objective medical evidence to indicate that there is a severe functional impact on activities like turning the pages of a book, using a pen or pencil or using a keyboard or carrying most objects with your functional arm.’’

According to the rules, he can work 15 hours a week. Regardless of what might be suggested by a piece of paper, rea;life reality is that Doug cannot work. Being able-bodied would be a challenge enough at his age. With disabilities like his and younger, fit alternatives, employers are not going to take him on.

Doug’s case is important, because it will be a test for many others finding themselves in the same boat. The message that needs to get through to Centrelink and the department heads is that people are have real life challenges, including problems overlooked, by an arbitrary and restrictive test that at best, only provides a rudimentary assessment. A thorough medical assessment, supported by competent medical evidence is needed. This is not what happens today. Those making the decisions must be reminded that they dealing with human beings, not case numbers.

FIT TO WORK!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

http://archive.sclqld.org.au/qjudgment/2017/QDC17-017.pdf

Apparently the Council told the annoying street preachers in the Queen st Mall to piss of.

They should tell the Mormons and the Jehovah s Witnesses to gently caress off too.

• Locked thread