Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Aesculus posted:

Jacqui Lambie??? :confutoot:

Don Dongington posted:

I can only assume the shitshow that was the 3 day "debate" on the subject of 18C was ironically enough to convince her that "Hrm yeah gently caress we need this."

Unlike some of the other crossbench senators, Lambie actually has compassion for other people and usually seems open to changing her stance on policy. She's been slowly sliding leftwards since PUP - recent sharia law business notwithstanding.

Reading the policies on her website is frustrating, though - so close Jacqui, but not... quite... there!

(maybe a slight bias here - she's one of my senators and her office is down my street a bit)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Don Dongington posted:

No I think that's generally it. She's concerned about Sharia law because to the simple and uneducated and with the way that opponents of Islamic immigration frame it, it's concerning. Those of us with a basic understanding of How Australia's Legal System Works and who bother to look a little deeper at an issue than the front page of whatever rag Murdoch vomits onto the Tasmanian landscape once a week know better, but that's clearly not how she rolls.

Beyond that, she's mostly working on a platform that shows concern for issues that affect normal people - much like left wing representatives try to do. Lo and behold, most of those issues affect the "latte sipping" segments of the population the same way they affect suburban mums and dads (Who knew!), so despite her cognitive biases she's going to find she has far more in common with the Greens than One Nation.

She can't SAY that though, because aforementioned news outlets would tear her apart and call her a fascist.

I want to sit down with her and a copy of the Koran and explain that we won't have sharia law without the caliphate which, despite what ISIS claims, doesn't currently exist and is unlikely to exist in the future.

I like to imagine this would be the first step in a series of epiphanies that lead Jacqui to joining the Greens, the Greens storming into government and ushering in a glorious new epoch in Tasmanian history.

• Locked thread