Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010

Gorilla Salad posted:

He does have an honours degree in civil engineering, so his horrible painting at least has some grounding in reality :shrug:

Of course, in its own special way its equally on the nose as anything Trump commissioned where he's swathed in gold and striding forth like an emperor - full of poo poo, just coming from the opposite direction.

EDIT: Holy poo poo, I didn't realise how right I was about Trump's portraits.

This looks like a crop from one of those joke images where the presidents are riding bears and velociraptors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010
https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2017/mar/04/middle-class-revolt-how-pauline-hanson-took-her-message-beyond-the-battlers

quote:

A solicitor who runs an inner Brisbane law firm tells Guardian Australia he will consider voting One Nation in part because of Hanson’s communication style.

“She’ll just give it to you straight. I think people appreciate that,” he says.

Despite property searches showing the lawyer holds 18 properties that were collectively worth $1.6m more than a decade ago, he says he doesn’t think of himself as “middle-class” because he is from an immigrant Italian family.

“My father came here and picked up a pick and shovel and worked like a dog and made some dough. That’s the type of immigrants we should still be trying to get.”

In news that will surprise few in the thread, rather than being the desperate forgotten unemployed, one nation voters are actually just irredeemable shitbags.

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010
http://www.theage.com.au/federal-po...306-gurnpc.html

quote:

Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull is considering a proposal for a major restructuring of the federal government that would create a US-style Department of Homeland Security.

The stated aim of the plan is to improve co-ordination across the government in preventing terrorist attacks. It would merge at least half a dozen relevant federal agencies from two departments into a mega-department.

The putative minister for homeland security would be the current Immigration Minister, Peter Dutton.

Jesus loving Christ.

quote:

Senator Brandis' sacking would be the trigger for the reorganisation. The Attorney-General is staunchly opposed to being moved on, and, together with other ministers, is understood to be strongly opposed to the proposed restructuring.

one finger curls back on the monkey's paw

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010
If you have an issue with people assuming that the generic walk person is male by default doesn't introducing a visually distinct female symbol confirm that everyone who assumed that was correct the whole time?

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Outspoken senator Jacqui Lambie wants to know how many Muslims are helping protect Australia's borders.

She's also keen to know if any Muslim employees at the Department of Immigration and Border Protection have the authority to reject Christian refugees from coming to Australia.

Wait, is Jacqui Lambie crusading against Australia's mistreatment of refugees by trying to find the Muslim infiltrators in the system? :psyduck:

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010
Using superannuation for your first home deposit is fine when you are never going to be able to retire anyway :shepicide:

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010

Tokamak posted:

It is also going to be twenty years until a large scale renewable projects is politically viable. I don't think time is a good argument when this thread (and John Howard) were arguing about nuclear and renewable projects a decade ago. A better argument is money, but the government makes terrible funding decisions all of the time. I don't think they will be able to convince the public to spend 10+bn on it though.

At this point in time I prefer any action that will transition us away from coal, over no action. As long as it is new scientific funding, a nuclear program is not the worst way to spend money. The major capital investments are a decade into the future, and you don't even need to commit yourself to building the reactors. It is an insurance policy. The larger benefit is that you are creating work in a field where there is not a lot of work to go around.

Again, I would prefer them to invest a billion dollars into a large scale renewables project, but that is not even on the cards.

How is nuclear more politically viable than renewables? The current government doesn't give a poo poo about either and renewables have labor/greens/a reasonable proportion of the public behind them.

e: I think part of the problem with pro/anti nuclear arguments is they tend to be applied universally, you can be pro nuclear as far as thinking countries with a nuclear industry should invest and particularly that closing nuclear plants and using gas/coal instead as many countries are doing is totally crazy, while it still isn't necessarily the best option for Australia.

ModernMajorGeneral fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Mar 17, 2017

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010
Conservatives: Anti-discrimination laws are unnecessary as the free market will ensure customers are driven away by bigotry

[people threaten to not use bigoted businesses]

Conservatives: LEFTIST BULLIES MY FREE SPEECH

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010

goodog posted:

The LNP will be saved by the next generation of savvy young politicos.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/yo...e023c793422e601

quote:

I also believe 90 per cent of ALP and LNP members would be the same.”

“The comment made was in response to a statement by another person that all young political party members would have joined the Nazi Party in the 1930s

100% accurate tbh.

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Mark Latham has been fired and is now melting down on twitter: https://twitter.com/RealMarkLatham

Even Latham has some awareness nobody cares about his show unless he says something people consider disgusting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010

Don Dongington posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if it's a typical Tory "Feelpinion", with no actual basis in fact or figures.

If the statement had any factual basis, they would surely have cited the relevant report or used the actual figures, rather than using vague language like "Many high income households".

Someone said this earlier in the thread but it's probably a fact that 100% of low wage earners that Liberal MPs have a personal connection with live in high income households.

• Locked thread