Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

quote:

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/nsw/extech-sicen-sun-made-replica-guns-in-lounge-room-using-3d-printer-court-hears-20170301-gunws8.html
Police say they have seen an emerging trend in the manufacture and subsequent sale of 3D firearms, which can be made to shoot bullets.
:ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

What do they do now if a veteran is making false claims that could be refuted by releasing the information? Show it to a judge and have the court order them to stop/apologise/whatever?

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Recoome posted:

What type of false claims? Is this the Jackie Lambie style false claims, or do you think that the legislation might be used to silence detractors?

I mean your post is an extremely hot take here but you might want to contextualise your comment with what actually just happened with a person speaking out about Centrelink. I'm guessing you took a glance at that and were like "lol bitch had it coming"

I would have thought a 'false claim' would be pretty self explanatory. It's a claim that is, in fact, false.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

There's probably not a lot you can do other than wait it out and keep contacting them. If she's in severe financial hardship she might be eligible for another payment while she's waiting.
https://www.humanservices.gov.au/customer/subjects/crisis-and-special-help

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Cleretic posted:

Automation is absolutely a thing that needs to be worried about and addressed RE: labor rights, but driverless cars is absolutely the wrong part to be addressing because it's totally unfeasible to roll them out to any significant level in the near future, it would require a much more gradual shift. The only company really pushing for it to happen soon are Uber, who are currently falling apart for other reasons (but probably-stealing the tech for their driverless cars and then rushing their implementation probably didn't help). Automation is a much more real and immediate fear to to other industries.

Uber, for the record, are most likely pushing the driverless cars far more than they seem to be ready for because they see it as the most feasible way to become solvent. They've never really found a way to make money, especially for how fast and insistently they've grown.
The argument that we need to reform our welfare system because of automation always gives me the shits.

Aside from humanity always finding a new problem to work on once we've solved an earlier one, which we will do again once cars and factories are automated, we need to reform our welfare system now and for reasons that have nothing to do with automation. Arguments for welfare reform in a world with robots are just as applicable in a world without them.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Think big. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kardashev_scale

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

quote:

“My comments were I respect the man. He is very patriotic towards his country, the people love him, he is doing so well for the country. So many Australians here want that leadership here in Australia.”

Pretty accurate.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

NoNotTheMindProbe posted:

We have one of the most highly educated populations in the world. Why can't we just design and build our own planes?

Isn't it more about showing we're serious about our relationship with the US? Kind of like a gang initiation but instead of killing a dude you buy a plane.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

JBP posted:

That's a ludicrous suggestion. No state is ever going to want to support people buying holiday homes interstate, nor should it be forced on people that want to buy a beach shack.
Do beach shacks even exist anymore? I thought they were all bought up and renovated decades ago.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

JBP posted:

There are plenty of places outside Portsea, Torquay or whatever that are cheap and cheerful. If you go 500m back from the beach, you're in shack town.

e: there are also plenty of beachside small towns that don't have fancy pubs and development around that are still economically priced due to being unpopular or not near a brand name beach. They're drying up though.
Must be a different scene down there, there's virtually nothing on the NSW south coast that's in the shack price range (<$100k), although there are a few empty blocks for less than that.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

https://twitter.com/AnnaVidot/status/838884025141899264

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

I hope they have hard copies of the datasets, I hate reading off a screen.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

quote:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-03-08/all-synthetic-drugs-to-be-outlawed-in-victoria/8334958
She said the legislation will be amended to apply a blanket ban to the production, sale and promotion of any substance that has a psychoactive effect.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Bogan King posted:

^ i thought we already had analogue laws that would cover this sort of stuff.

Apparently not. I don't like these kinds of laws because they make it explicit that the government isn't concerned about safety, they just don't like the idea of people getting high.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

As if the government are going to give some upstart American the chance to take profits away from local rent seekers.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Someone who thinks like that probably isn't going to be convinced by statistics, but here's a chart with links to the data. http://unemployedworkersunion.com/job-seekers-v-job-vacancy-data/

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

quote:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-03-14/cashless-welfare-card-to-continue-after-trial-success/8350946
The Federal Government has hailed its cashless welfare card trial a "success" in Ceduna in South Australia and Kununurra in Western Australia and will continue to use it in both towns.

The trial was designed to limit participants' access to cash.

It has seen 80 per cent of most recipients' welfare quarantined on a cashless debit card, which cannot be used to buy alcohol or gamble.

The remaining 20 per cent has been credited to participants' regular bank accounts and therefore was able to be withdrawn as cash.

Human Services Minister Alan Tudge said the cards would now be used on an ongoing basis in Kununurra and Ceduna, with six-monthly reviews.

"The card is having the result of reducing the alcohol, the gambling and the drug abuse," he said.

Mr Tudge made the decision after receiving a 175-page government commissioned review by Orima Research of the year-long trial.

The evaluation involved interviewing stakeholders, participants and their families.

It found on average a quarter of people using the card who drank said they were not drinking as often.

While just under a third of gamblers said they had curbed that habit.

But researchers did record claims people were finding ways around the system.

They included "a couple of examples of suspected prostitution" and merchants "overcharging for a product or services and then refunding the difference in cash."

As revealed by the ABC in September, Kununurra taxi drivers have been accused of helping customers circumvent the system.

"We're monitoring this, we're constantly trying to avoid this occurring and at the end of the day though ... and I've said this repeatedly, we're not going to let perfect be the enemy of good and we are getting good results here even though there might be some individuals who try to skirt the system," Mr Tudge said.

The review recorded anecdotal claims of an increase in crime committed by Kununurra children wanting cash, and more domestic violence in Ceduna.

But the report said it was not clear whether the increased reports of domestic violence were because of changes in reporting requirements or increased community awareness, rather than the trial.

Data suggested overall crime had reduced in Ceduna but there had been no short-term evidence of reduced crime in Kununurra.

Mr Tudge said the crime figures were preliminary and not conclusive.

"I simply point to the local police who say that this is a good intervention and that they support it and I also point to other community leaders who believe that there has been a reduction in some of the assaults and domestic violence as well," he said.

"But let's get the hard data and that will come out in the final evaluation at the end of June."

The review reported 31 per cent of participants answered yes when asked, "Since being on the cashless debit/Indue card [has this] happened to you: You've/the family has been able to save more money than before".

Asked whether such a question sounded like push-polling, Mr Tudge said the questionnaire had been done at arm's length from the Government.

"This was done by an independent evaluation, I had nothing to do with the questions which were asked," Mr Tudge said.

The big question is whether the Government will roll the card out nationally.

Mr Tudge said that decision had not been made and refused to say whether it would be revealed in May's federal budget.

"I get in big trouble if I talk about the budget before it's released and so I don't plan on doing it now," he said.

The card has its critics and one in two participants said it had made their life worse.

Ian Trust, the executive director of the Wunan Foundation, an Aboriginal development organisation in the East Kimberley in Western Australia, said his support for the card had come at a personal cost.

"People in Kununurra see me as one of the perpetrators of infecting this sort of card on them," he said

"But what we had before the card, which is just open sort of slather of people buying heaps of alcohol with the money that they get, the amount of damage it was doing, I think that this is definitely an improvement on what we had previously," he said.

Mr Trust said he would support the card being rolled out across the country.

"Yes I do, I think this is a more responsible way of actually delivering support and social services to our people regardless of what colour they are," he said.

Something to look forward to then.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

People probably care less about civil liberties now than they did then.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

quote:

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/act-news/regions-pitch-for-government-departments-in-apvma-senate-inquiry-20170313-guwu1u.html
Armidale may have an unexpected new rival to its claim on hosting the national pesticides authority.

Southern Downs Regional Council, based 150km inland from Brisbane, is on the hard sell for the Australian Pesticides and Veterinary Medicines Authority in a Senate inquiry into its forced move from Canberra.

The small farming community, home to about 36,000 people, joined 16 other regional councils and bodies from across the country using the Senate inquiry to pitch for government departments.

It marks a transformation for the inquiry, originally intended to focus on the APVMA's move and risks to human and animal health, the profitability to the agriculture and fisheries sectors, chemical industries and Australia's trading reputation.

The driving force behind the APVMA's relocation, Deputy Prime Minister and Nationals leader Barnaby Joyce, last month encouraged regional communities to write to the Senate committee about the benefits of decentralisation, drawing accusations he was derailing the inquiry.

As regions pitched for federal agencies, the inquiry learnt Southern Downs had its eye on several including Meat and Livestock Australia, and the Grains Research and Development Corporation.

It wants to lure them with its 'crisp country air', shopping complexes and lack of rush hour traffic.

"There have been many examples of successful relocation with regional cities such as Ballarat, Bendigo and Geelong all attracting a plethora of different public authorities through various decentralisation programs," Mayor Tracy Dobie said.

The council pledged to "actively campaign" for an agency in one of its centres, Warwick (population 15,000) or Stanthorpe (5,000).

And it offered something appealing to APVMA bosses tired of working in McDonald's at Armidale, boasting of "available office space or zone commercial land that can accommodate an agency."

"The Southern Downs Regional Council will facilitate the logistics of any move to ensure an agency that moves to the region is able to perform its function seamlessly."

Albury City Council made a pitch for the Murray-Darling Basin Authority, while Mid-Murray Council, outside Adelaide, included the Education, Industry and Employment departments in a long list of large government agencies that could move to regional areas.

The council joined others inviting the Senate inquiry to hold a hearing at regional areas.

Lockhart Shire Council, in southern NSW, urged the government to look further afield than major centres such as Albury and Wagga Wagga in relocating departments.

"Smaller sub-regional towns should not be overlooked when considering the decentralisation of government agencies," mayor Rodger Schirmer said.

"Other smaller towns could and should be considered in respect of relocating individual business units, shared service centres, outreach posts and other government services that can be provided remotely."

Lachlan Shire Council, centred in Condobolin, said it would benefit from the relocation of people to nearby centres Dubbo, Orange and Griffith.

"This improves medical, social and educational services that residents can travel to and to take advantage of these improved services," general manager Robert Hunt said.

"Lachlan Shire would support a federal government department relocation to its area but reality is that a research office from agriculture or chemical testing would be of greater benefit."

In a submission, ACT Chief Minister Andrew Barr condemned the forced move as "a misguided exercise in public governance that has failed to achieve the desired public policy goals for the APVMA or Armidale."

It is a signature policy of Mr Joyce, whose New England electorate includes Armidale.

The plan has been labelled as "blatant pork barrelling" by the opposition.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

These are government departments, not businesses. The only reason the Southern Downs Regional Council can say that kind of thing is because they know the federal government (i.e. you) will ultimately pay for it.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

How much does 10% of royalties amount to? Is South Australia about to create a few billionaire farmers who were lucky enough to be in the right place at the right time?

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Yeah you'd have to be pretty loving dumb to think making people miserable wasn't the whole point of the exercise. I'll be rolled out across the country, probably firstly to groups that are easy to poo poo on, like young people, and slowly expanded to cover the rest of the population.

It'd be good to see the actual report if anyone has it, it's presumably been released to journalists but I can't find it online.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

https://www.mhs.gov.au/sites/g/files/net1006/f/cdc-wave1-interim-evaluation-report.pdf

I found the report.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

freebooter posted:

Also as others have pointed out the Caleb/Daisy thing is a really good example of how the right-wing press is propped up by big money, you cannot imagine any young writers on the left getting paid to write poo poo that monumentally bad

I wonder if it's just a matter of supply. Lots of people want to write vaguely leftish pieces and competition for paid work is fierce, writing slashfic about Bill Leak must be a pretty uncontested space.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

quote:

Malcolm Turnbull has warned that gas companies risk their “social licence” to operate without reservation quotas if they fail to supply Australian domestic industry.

Turnbull made the comments at a doorstop in Canberra before his meeting with the gas companies on Wednesday aimed to force them to increase domestic supply.

It comes as the energy and environment minister, Josh Frydenberg, has supported South Australia’s plan to incentivise landowners to accept development of gas resources. He also suggested gas companies should release more supply to the domestic market without a reservation policy.

When asked about imposing a reservation policy, Turnbull said the federal government had “considerable power” to control exports, but said his aim was to “ensure we have action from the gas companies”.

“The gas companies – I have no doubt – are very well aware they operate with the benefit of a social licence from the Australian people.

“And they cannot expect to maintain that if while billions of dollars of gas are being exported, Australians are left short.”

Earlier on Radio National, Frydenberg said Turnbull would tell gas companies the government wanted them to produce more gas for the domestic market, including by developing their untapped reserves faster.

Frydenberg said prices had increased due to increased export of liquid natural gas, less investment in exploration due to low oil prices, and gas moratoria in several states.

But the increases had not been sufficient to incentivise development of reserves, which Frydenberg said amounted to 180 years’ supply in the Northern Territory and 40 in Victoria.

Asked about potential shortages next summer, Frydenberg noted the companies had existing supplies that they could release into the domestic market in the meantime.

Frydenberg said gas reservation is a “double-edged sword” that could increase supplies in the short term but decrease incentives to invest in exploration and extraction.

Asked if he supported a gas reservation policy, Frydenberg said he was not backing the idea because the government “wants industry to lead”.

The comments suggests that Turnbull, who has so far not ruled out a gas reservation policy, is wielding the possibility as a threat to force gas companies to take action without further regulation.

Frydenberg said he was “very concerned” about South Australia’s plan to give its energy minister powers to direct the Australian Energy Market Operator (AEMO) to control flow on the South Australia’s interconnector.

The federal minister is seeking advice about whether that plank of the policy is in breach of market rules.

He said the national energy market rules “do need to be reformed” and the government was working with the Australian Energy Market Commission on changes, like setting prices on a five-minute, not 30-minute, period which would encourage more battery storage.

Frydenberg said it was “unfortunate” that South Australia had acted ahead of reviews of the rules, including the Finkel review of energy security.

But Frydenberg praised South Australia’s decision to “incentivise landowners to get more of the pie when they develop the gas reserves on their land”, and encouraging more battery storage.

“What we don’t want to see is the national market fragment by states taking ... decisions in their own jurisdictions which could be to the detriment of other jurisdictions.”

The South Australian premier, Jay Weatherill, told Radio National his plan gave the energy minister easier access to emergency powers which already exist as part of market rules.

“We have to go through a lengthy bureaucratic process ... and have a state of emergency existing before we can act. This is to act before an emergency occurs.

“We had this absurd situation on the 8th of February when everybody knew a heatwave was coming that the Australian Energy Market Operator chose to black out South Australians rather than turn on Pelican Point gas-fired power station.”

Weatherill said that was “unacceptable” and the national electricity market was “broken”.

Weatherill said the new powers would overcome “market power concentrated in the hands of a few companies” that were used “to screw” South Australian consumers by limiting power supplies to increase prices.

Weatherill blamed the Abbott and Turnbull governments for national energy shortages, saying the abolition of a carbon price had resulted in an “investment strike” that had pushed up the price of energy by under-investment in generation.

Come on gas companies, we're counting on you! Do it for Australia.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Paying market rates for gas does seem pretty reasonable. In a perfect, or at least better, world this would lead to more investment in renewables rather than threatening to interfere in the gas market.

open24hours fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Mar 15, 2017

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

quote:

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2017/mar/15/wayne-swan-calls-for-public-sector-expansion-to-push-economy-to-full-employment

Governments must be prepared to expand the size of the public sector and employ more people directly as part of pushing the Australian economy to full employment, according to the former Labor treasurer, Wayne Swan.

Swan will use a speech in Adelaide on Wednesday to argue that full employment needs to be an active strategy for governments, not a passive one.

Wednesday’s intervention is part of efforts Swan is spearheading to generate community discussion about the concept of inclusive growth, and also challenge his party to develop a more overtly progressive policy platform for the next federal election to appeal to disaffected low and middle income voters currently being courted by Pauline Hanson and other protest parties.

The former treasurer will use a speech he will deliver at Flinders University to argue governments need to embrace the use of fiscal policy “to get to and stay at full employment”.

“To reverse the squeeze on middle incomes and to power economic growth, the case to boost public investment through the use of active fiscal policy is irrefutable,” he will say.

“Pushing the economy back to full employment would restore the bargaining power of workers and repair the broken link between labour productivity and wages.

“And when we talk about full employment we’re talking about secure ongoing jobs.”

He says that means governments providing more than job training. “Governments must not only direct their emphasis on job training and reskilling initiatives but must also be willing to contemplate more ambitious programs of public investment and direct employment.”

The former Labor treasurer used a speech at the Australian Workers’ Union national conference at the beginning of the month to argue the opposition needed to put rising inequality at the heart of its agenda for the next federal election – and also consider whether a “Buffett rule” should be part of the policy mix.

Swan was the first figure from the Labor right faction to validate the debate, which thus far has been pursued by left faction figures.

Neither the Labor leader, Bill Shorten, nor the shadow treasurer, Chris Bowen, are keen on the “Buffett rule” concept.

Shorten recently told a town hall meeting in Canberra reforming negative gearing was a more effective redistributive mechanism than making wealthy people pay a minimum share of tax.

This week’s Guardian Essential Poll suggests, however, that the concept would be popular. The poll found a clear majority of voters would support a range of tax increases, including a Buffett rule.

Swan insists the Labor party needs to give the “Buffet rule” serious consideration.

He will acknowledge on Wednesday Shorten’s analytical point on negative gearing, but argue Labor needs to do more. “Labor’s decision to scale back negative gearing for future investments and tackle capital gains concessions is a critical part of making our tax system fairer.

“This is a good start but we do need a through discussion of a Buffet rule to give people confidence that wealthy individuals are paying their fair share.

“On the corporate tax side we need strong action against transfer pricing and debt dumping and we need to fix the petroleum resources rent tax.

“Both sets of measures would go a long way towards repairing our budget bottom line.”

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

2018: Turnbull actively considering removing employer contributions from superannuation. "In this modern world where super is used to buy a house we don't think there's a compelling reason for employers to be forced to subsidise their employees' lifestyles."

open24hours fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Mar 16, 2017

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

I can understand a desire to be generous with these things, but $5m is really getting up there.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Ten Becquerels posted:

“Processing Mr Dreyfus’s request was a long and exhaustive task and had to be done on top of the attorney’s ministerial and other responsibilities,” so of course it took 3 years! Think of all that exhausting work George had to do to fulfill his responsibilities as a minister!

The department line seems to be that no record of any meetings doesn't mean that the meetings didn't happen, because if the meetings were spontaneous they wouldn't be entered in the diary. This sounds like a very reasonable reasonable explanation that I definitely believe. It also still admits that he had no plans to meet with legal aid groups, and if he ever did it was probably a result of them chasing him down.

This seems like a really dumb thing to say, as it compels the reader to ask why a minister should be allowed to have an undocumented meeting to discuss government business?

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

About time someone prosecuted them.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

JBP posted:

Is this as a result of a medical assessment? I don't know the clink process for appraising an injury, but this guy is arguably a 75% incapacity worker under work cover which means you get paid. Obviously he can't do this because it isn't work related, but you would think that an independent medical board/examiner would reach the same conclusion as the hardcore shitcan work cover system.

What on loving earth it this "centrelink officer" on about?

They have a list of things to tick off and a certain number of points are assigned to each item. If you don't get enough points you don't get a pension. It's not about medicine.

https://www.dss.gov.au/sites/default/files/documents/05_2012/dsp_impairment_tbls_final_rpt.pdf

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

quote:

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/fed...322-gv3psz.html
Moving public servants out of Canberra is "core business" for the Turnbull government, Deputy Prime Minister Barnaby Joyce says, and more of it is likely following the move of the pesticides authority to his seat of New England.

In an interview with Fairfax Media, Mr Joyce said the Australian Pesticides and Medicines Authority's forced move had prompted political attacks from Labor but that "it is now resonating as one of the biggest positive things" he had done as Agriculture Minister.

One of the greatest hurdles facing the plan to move the APVMA to Armidale is the objections of the public servants who work at the agency with just 10 of its 103 highly-trained regulatory scientists believed to be interested in moving their lives to the north.

But Mr Joyce had a blunt message for public servants who have complained about the relocation, with the minister arguing the move had been in the national interest, while linking decentralisation to helping people to find affordable housing.

"The more they [Labor] get excited about it, the more people not living in the cities think that's a good idea," he said.

" If you want people to have a job where they can get a cheaper house, surely the jobs need to be where cheaper houses are.

"I believe in decentralisation, I think it is core business, otherwise we will end up with just two big cities, one called Sydney and one called Melbourne.

"We have to find a reason for people to live somewhere else.

"The sooner Tamworth, Dubbo, Orange have a 100,000 people, or 200,000 people, you can take a little pressure off Sydney and Melbourne."

In practice, he said, that meant "sections of departments - not a whole department, and where it can appropriately work" could be moved to the regions in the future.

He brushed aside the concerns of the APVMA workers who did not want to go to Armidale, comparing his plan to the early days of Canberra.

"People always say they don't want to go, they never do, they didn't want to go Canberra, before that they didn't want to go to Sydney from Liverpool," Mr Joyce said.

"History is made by people not wanting to go somewhere.

The APVMA move has attracted criticism from every lobby and industry group in the various sectors it regulates, including agricultural, chemical and veterinary medical groups.

A cost-benefit analysis conducted by accounting giants Ernst and Young at a cost to taxpayers of $270,000, found the direct cost of moving the authority north will be $25.6 million, the benefits to the Australian economy would be "modest" and the advantages for the agency itself "limited".

But Mr Joyce said he still believes his plan is good for Australia.

"The action of a government with vision is not to ask people their personal opinion, it's to do what is good for the nation," he said.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

If she wasn't kicked out for being too candid about her racism Hanson would probably still be a Liberal, so her voting in favour of welfare cuts should be expected.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

quote:

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/fed...327-gv79iu.html
Immigration management have been lambasted over their plan to spend a quarter of a billion dollars fitting out a new office, with the politicians asked to approve the proposal accusing them of poor preparation and failing to provide vital information.

Even Turnbull government MPs say they are "deeply unimpressed" with the Department of Immigration and Border Protection's handling of the mega-proposal, going so far as to compare its top officials to "unco-operative witnesses".

In a heated hearing last week, members of the Parliamentary Standing Committee on Public Works also castigated the department for providing it with incorrect figures, a blunder secretary Mike Pezzullo blamed on a consultant who used "the wrong spreadsheet".

The department is seeking approval to spend $255 million to fit out a new Canberra headquarters, in what is thought to be the most expensive plan of its type in federal government history. Under the proposal, the number of buildings the department inhabits in the national capital would shrink from 12 to five, with the main office located in a new state-of-the-art building next to Canberra Airport.

Mr Pezzullo said the consolidation will ultimately deliver a net benefit to the taxpayer, with more than $230 million in savings over 30 years.

But some committee members have suggested the proposal may not be approved in its current form, which is heavily reliant on landlord "lease incentives".

Committee members are concerned the incentives distort the true cost of the proposal, making it less than transparent.

Liberal committee chairman Scott Buchholz led the attack, accusing the department of repeatedly changing its proposal and not informing MPs.

"The committee is deeply unimpressed with the way it has been provided with information on this project to date," he said.

"This is unacceptable as the committee can only make judgements about the project based on the information that is provided."

Mr Buchholz told Mr Pezzullo and the paramilitary Border Force's boss Roman Quaedvlieg that the department's "lack of preparation" had made the committee's job far more difficult, leading to significant delays in its deliberations.

"While I do not believe it is the department's intention to be unco-operative, it would be understandable if the committee members saw the department as unco-operative witnesses," he said.

Members also raised concerns about value for money, with Labor senator Alex Gallacher pointing out the new building has been sitting empty for eight years.

"You're paying the maximum rate that you would pay for a lease in Canberra, in an area where the building is eight years old and there is allegedly somewhere between a 20 per cent and 40 per cent occupancy rate," he said.

But senior official Ben Wright said it was a "good deal" and noted the building's condition as "a cold shell" meant it was cheaper and easier to fit out to the department's specifications.

The fit-out is due to begin in August this year and be completed by February 2021. The upgraded buildings would accommodate 6000 staff.

Jesus Christ they are fuckwits. For those not familiar with Canberra, the Department of Immigration is currently located in Belconnen and, along with the ABS, is one of the major employers in the area. Belconnen is a thriving area with shops, schools, services and public transport. Immigration employees presumably also live in the area.

Canberra airport is in the middle of nowhere, has virtually no services, no public transport, limited childcare options and the roads are barely adequate for the traffic as is.

I'm almost tempted to believe it's deliberate attempt to damage an important part of the city for the benefit of the Canberra Airport Group.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Showing it by SA4 hides a lot of the variation, seems to be a lot near Melbourne.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

I wonder where they're getting the info from, I tried to look it up and I can't find any statistics in the normal places that break down household income by personal income.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

hooman posted:

As revealed in the interview above, they don't have any info, they're full of poo poo. They have no statistics of how many people on minimum wage living in high income households and are just throwing bullshit around to see what will stick against raising the minimum wage.
Maybe, I think there might be an element of truth to it if you ignore the context in which people live, and it's hardly a reason not to raise minimum wage. Like five people on low wages sharing a house, which could put the household into a high income category despite no one living there being particularly well off.

I'd be interested to see what the figures look like.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

BBJoey posted:

the only dataset i can think of that could provide that info is HILDA, which isn't available publicly.

but it's available to me. i'll check the numbers.

quote:

https://www.fwc.gov.au/documents/sites/wagereview2017/submissions/ausgovsub.pdf
Analysis using the HILDA Survey shows that, in general, low paid workers are more likely to be young, female, single or without children. They also have varied living standards and levels of household income with nearly half of low paid workers in the top 50 per cent of household income.

Yeah, I'd look it up but it might breach the ethics agreement to post quick and dirty stuff from HILDA online. Would be worth looking at what proportion of those low payed workers in high income households are living with their parents.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Narrabundah is almost like two separate suburbs, the part near Griffith is nice and the part near Fyshwick is not so nice. It used to be a low income suburb and, to a lesser extent, it still is, but it's improving rapidly and the location is good.

• Locked thread