Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

cheese-cube posted:

Alternatively we should buy weapons from Rosoboronexport. At this stage who really gives a gently caress? The Russians are selling systems that Aus actually needs, like 3M-54E ASM and Su-35S platforms.

Mate, I fukken love me some Russian military equipment but that's just a terrible idea.

1. I recall hearing that integrating the Hellfire onto our Tiger helicopters was a bit of a shitshow, now imagine trying to get Russian stuff to play nice with NATO stuff.
2. Now extend this to C2/C3/radios/etc equipment that would be different.
3. We couldn't guarantee parts supply.
4. It would open us to pressure from Moscow (bad).
5. There is no way in hell that they would sell to us due to the fact that we would immediately send a copy of anything over to the US for them to have a look at.

There's much more to it, but that's just off the top of my head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

NoNotTheMindProbe posted:

We have one of the most highly educated populations in the world. Why can't we just design and build our own planes?

Planes and more importantly, their engines are utterly hard as gently caress design and to build. Plus it would require decades of massive public funding to even get it off the ground. Considering that the current mob killed off the car industry over :qq: Muh Expensive Subsidies :qq: I don't think it's likely.

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

Periphery posted:

How about we just not buy expensive military boondoggles and instead buy things we actually need and will actively use?

The best idea, also something that's not going to happen :sigh:

• Locked thread