Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.
Roberts just called the Guardian 'fake news' in estimates so there is that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.

The AFR posted:

The federal government will urge the Fair Work Commission to avoid a reduction to take-home pay by phasing in the cut to penalty rates over such a long time that it's masked by annual wage increases.

With his government under growing political pressure to take a stance on the decision, Malcolm Turnbull said he was favourably disposed towards the phase-in option and would most likely recommend it when it made a submission to the Commission on how to implement the cuts.

Mr Turnbull said on Thursday that no reduction in take-home pay was an objective of any change to modern awards and the government supported mitigating or offsetting a reduction "as far as possible".

This could mean phasing in the reduction over two to five years.

So I guess this means over the next 2 - 5 years the minimum wage is going to go up by $100 pw so :toot:

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

The ABC posted:

Australia's gender pay gap has narrowed slightly — including those in top-tier managing roles — but only because of an economic downturn, according to researchers.

Maybe the LNP really are for women and they're tanking the economy for everyone so that it's equally poo poo for everyone. Makes you think.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

https://twitter.com/G_Parker/status/836742000342814721

Guess we're not going to see more jobs after all.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

Vic Premier posted:

Victorian renters will finally be able to enjoy the safety and security of long-term leases.

Announced today by the Andrews Labor Government, a new long-term standard tenancy agreement will be developed for leases of more than five years. The Government will also amend the Residential Tenancies Act to ensure it covers leases for longer than 5 years.

The change will mean greater security for both tenants and their landlords, providing stability for renting families and a more steady income source for property owners.

While short-term leases remain the norm in Victoria, it’s clear that many Victorians want a more permanent option, with more than one in five renters in their home for five years or more.

The new standard tenancy agreement will be developed in consultation with stakeholders and implemented in 2018. A website will also be developed to connect people looking for long-term leases with available properties.

The announcement comes as work to update the Residential Tenancies Act continues. By introducing long-term leases earlier, renters will have security sooner, and the remaining issues with the Act can be given the attention they deserve.

Today’s announcement continues the rollout of the Labor Government’s housing strategy.

The Government has already committed to the creation of a $1 billion Social Housing Growth Fund that will provide dedicated assistance to community housing associations to help support up to 2,200 households.

100,000 lots in Melbourne’s north have also been rezoned to create 17 new suburbs, boosting land supply and making housing more affordable for Victorians.

Quotes attributable to Premier Daniel Andrews

“Raising a family is stressful enough without worrying about whether you need to move every 12 months. Long-term leases will end that uncertainty.”

“There are 884,000 Victorians who rent, or own a rental property. This change will give renters the chance to put down roots and landlords a more certain income.”

Quotes attributable to Minister for Consumer Affairs Marlene Kairouz

“More than 25 per cent of Victorians rent. They should be able to have the security that comes with a long-term lease, and that’s exactly what we’re doing.”

“This is about giving Victorian renters and landlords the security they need– the ability to lease a property long-term and a way to help renters find their future home.”

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

https://twitter.com/tanya_plibersek/status/837099770111913984

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

https://twitter.com/lanesainty/status/837105289077805056

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

The ABC posted:

The Queensland Liberal National Party is to hold an unprecedented meeting of its state and federal MPs this weekend to discuss ways of countering a resurgent One Nation.

The office of the Queensland opposition leader Tim Nicholls has confirmed to 7.30 that MPs from regional and provincial areas will be meeting in Bundaberg on Saturday.

Despite speculation this week about a possible demerger of the LNP, 7.30 understands that issue is not on the agenda.

Rather, the inaugural meeting of the LNP's Provincial Policy and Implementation Council will examine ways the party can better campaign in areas where One Nation is gaining in popularity.

"No-one, except for a few extremists, wants the party to de-merge," Toowoomba-based Senator Barry O'Sullivan told 7.30.

"It's not going to happen.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

These seem relevant

https://twitter.com/TimWattsMP/status/838156693343105024

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

Just look at what people are doing now, it's what people would do as Nazis 2.0: The Reichening kicks off. So for me it's shitposting and crying myself to sleep.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

open24hours posted:

Do beach shacks even exist anymore? I thought they were all bought up and renovated decades ago.

There are a bunch of heritage listed ones in the national park south of Sydney. From what I remember though the title on them is non transferable so when the owner dies it becomes crown property again. That's not to say they are very common but they definitely exist.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

Laserface posted:

My Nan owns one of these. its $100 a year to keep and when the lease holder dies, its over.

you're also not allowed to maintain them or improve them. they have no electricity or running water.

Theres maybe 3-4 of them left standing. if it was a property you could sell (and could improve on it), it would be worth millions.

there was a fairly heated battle between the leasers and the national parks over ownership of them because the RNP wanted to clear them to make the land available for parking/camping but yeah, they ended up being heritage listed so even after the lease is over I imagine they will be there until 'vandals' ruin them.

That's pretty cool, very noice spot for a holiday shack. It's good that they're not allowed to be built upon / traded though as there are more than enough beach towns anyway and there should be more national park. As someone who grew up surfing Garie and camping at Era a bunch I'm a bit jealous you got shack access though.

Back in Auspol related stuff. It seems Hanson is giving up all pretence of having a clue about what she is on about.

https://twitter.com/josh_jerga/status/838554886157426688

https://twitter.com/NicPerpitch/status/838585945188282368

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

Laserface posted:

They cant be sub let or anything either. If I want to stay there my nan has to write a letter to the RNP informing them I am staying, and when/how long/how many.

its a total waste of time because you really want to just go for the day due to the nature of the place, but you cant because the second you are unlocking the door the ranger is there asking who you are and what you're doing while hes calling the police.

Just get 52 letters written for each weekend of the year and party.

-------

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

He's the gift that keeps on giving.

"OK, I will stop calling it Neo-Fascist and call it the Australia Institute as that is its actual name"

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I wonder if it is just the women who are not declaring houses or if people are just white anting them. It's Ley and now Cash who have made the news for this and it seems unlikely that they're the only two.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

Seems like a good time to bring this back

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Probably an old grey-hair in the Liberal party wants to get rid of all these women folk messing up the place. Politics is a man's job

It's been mentioned that they're both moderates too so it could be the right trying to get Dutton into a softer light.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

So Paris is upping their vacant property tax from 20% of fair rental income to 60%. They don't like property speculation as well as wanting a fair and robust rental market. It turns out they really are better at doing the sophisticated thing better than we are.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

New FDotM

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

JBP posted:

JBP sucks.

https://twitter.com/MarkDiStef/status/838927410737242112

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

JBP posted:

He's a scab, I'll call him what I want.

:thumbsup:

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

Is it full communism that is coming next? Please let it be that.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

Get rid of cars and have it so you can cross anywhere because it's safe from those metallic murder beasts now. :unsmigghh:

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

Someone needs to shove one of those new, fancy, lady traffic lights down Mr 77's maw

https://twitter.com/inthehansard/status/839069951231078400

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

Roberts is full blown bonkers, it would be more funny / less sad though if he wasn't a loving senator.

David Lyinghat just retweeted this too

https://twitter.com/AusGovGunFacts/status/839084614354358272

(hint: that is a nazi)

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

Paingod556 posted:

Technically, it's an Imperial German Army sturmtruppen in 1918. So, not a Nazi.

But wouldn't it make more sense to have a picture of Australian corpses littered around Fromelles instead? Are troops and all that.

proto-nazi then

this page hasn't talked nearly enough about the traffic lights in melbourne so have this hot take

ninja edit: what a snipe

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

The Guardian posted:

A behavioural surveillance scheme being trialled by a Queensland council in an attempt to anticipate antisocial and illegal acts has prompted concern, with civil liberties advocates saying the technology is “straight out of 1984” and has been linked to racial profiling.

The Queensland privacy commissioner, Philip Green, confirmed he had not been consulted by Toowoomba regional council over its trial of “privacy-invasive” behavioural recognition software with CCTV cameras, which has been linked to racial profiling in the United States.

Toowoomba’s foray into behavioural surveillance technology was also criticised by civil libertarians who warned that people deemed “abnormal” by an algorithm faced being harassed by authorities.

On Monday the council rolled out a month-long trial of “camera analytics software”, which purportedly links with CCTV networks to identify safety risks posed by members of the public.

The technology, sold by a company called iOmniscient, includes facial and number-plate recognition technology and touts an ability to anticipate antisocial behaviour in crowds, such as vandalism and other crimes.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

^ i thought we already had analogue laws that would cover this sort of stuff.

--------

The ABC posted:

Victoria's former deputy speaker has refused to answer questions about whether he listed a caravan as his primary residence in order to claim tens of thousands of dollars in entitlements.

Imagine getting $100k bonus for saying you lived in a caravan to scam your country and then quitting in a huff because you got called out on it and asked to pay it back. At least NSW knows how to do corruption properly, lift your game Vic.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

Happy international womens day ladies, the chamber of commerce has your back. See cutting penalty rates is their gift to women so now they can work more hours on Sundays. Who says men never do anything for you females.

https://twitter.com/AusChamber/status/839294771961049089

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

QUACKTASTIC posted:

Loving the responses

Yeah, it doesn't go over well at all.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

Have some stats about people who work Sundays too. These people should be set alight for such egregious bullshit.

https://twitter.com/PeetzDavid/status/838577339088830464

https://twitter.com/PeetzDavid/status/838621292035088384

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

That chamber of commerce thing got an update

https://twitter.com/theamwu/status/839309458207432706

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

The Guardian posted:

The head of the Department of Human Services has blamed the “robo debt” scandal largely on welfare recipients’ failure to engage with Centrelink.

The Senate inquiry into Centrelink’s “robo-debt” system began on Wednesday, hearing from the community sector, the community and public sector union, tax office officials and the secretary of the Department of Human Services, Kathryn Campbell.

Critics of the system say its many flaws have combined to create a debt recovery process that is unfair, inaccurate and inhumane.

The inquiry heard that the system has only recovered $24m so far, although it has raised, or identified, $300m. It sent 217,403 letters between July and December demanding explanations from welfare recipients, 36,305 of which did not result in a debt.

The system raised 133,282 debts, 12,733 of which were either reduced to zero, reduced, or written off or waived.

The system, which began last year, places a greater reliance on data matching to detect discrepancies between income reported to Centrelink and the Australian Taxation Office.

It removes human oversight over that data-matching process and allows it to automatically generate letters demanding an explanation from welfare recipients.

If no response is received, the debt is automatically imposed, often using a crude calculation that averages an individual’s annual income over Centrelink’s 26 fortnightly reporting periods. More than 6,500 of the initial letters were sent to wrong addresses.

Centrelink was relying on addresses it held on its own records, not the electoral roll, to target people who had stopped receiving benefits years ago.

Sorry poors but it is your fault the centrelink debt poo poo blew up. You didn't engage with centrelink (about poo poo we didn't tell you about).

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm always torn in the taxi uber fight, gently caress taxis but gently caress uber. Uber are worse but sweet gently caress the taxi cartel really needs a boot to the face for the poo poo they pull too.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Immigration Minister Peter Dutton, through Michaelia Cash, said his department did not collect data about the faith of its employees.

Social Services Minister Christian Porter also said there was no requirement for welfare recipients to declare their religious beliefs, so the information wasn't available.

Dutton is sure as gently caress looking to collect that info now though.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

Roberts keeps delivering

https://twitter.com/inthehansard/status/839704761695797248

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

Sydney Morning Homosexual posted:

A Liberal MLA has been accused of handing out how to vote cards for Pauline Hanson's One Nation as early voters cast their ballots in Esperance in Western Australia's south.

Dr Graham Jacobs, who entered parliament in 2005, has represented the electorate of Eyre since 2008 and is standing for re-election in Saturday's ballot.

At a polling station in Esperance, he was spotted handing out his own party's how to vote cards - but also holding One Nation election material.

A witness at the pre-polling station at the Esperance Courthouse, who did not want to be named, said a number of voters were perplexed when he allegedly tried to hand them the One Nation cards.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

MysticalMachineGun posted:

This is going to be a fun weekend :allears:

It's ramping up.

https://twitter.com/PatrickPG/status/839954058773348353

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

Good. Apparent heart attack though so not sure if true as he showed no signs of having a heart.

• Locked thread