Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.
Federal Government is definitely laying the groundwork for some harsh cuts in the upcoming budget.

The West Australian posted:

Malcolm Turnbull has warned of a mountain of debt - closing in on $500 billion - that future generations will have to repay unless the federal budget is brought under control.

“That will mean, inevitably, they will either have reduced government services or higher taxes or probably both,” the prime minister told ABC radio on Thursday.

“We cannot keep on living beyond our means and passing a larger mountain of debt on to the shoulders of our children and grandchildren.”

Treasurer Scott Morrison will need to issue a new direction within months allowing government debt to rise beyond $500 billion.

Treasury officials told a Senate committee debt was due to go above $500 billion early in the 2017/18 financial year and a new direction is needed from Mr Morrison in order for the Australian Office of Financial Management not to be in breach of its own laws.

The latest figure from the AOFM for Australian government securities on issue, dated February 24, was $477 billion.

The mid-year economic review forecast the figure to be $496 billion by the end of this financial year.

Treasury senior official Matt Flavel says the government’s figures show the “path of debt in nominal terms continues to rise over the medium term”.

In late 2013, then-treasurer Joe Hockey reached a deal with the Greens to get rid of the $300 billion debt ceiling.

But Mr Hockey soon after issued a direction to Treasury, without having to go through parliament, to ensure the total face value of stock and securities that may be on issue was limited to $500 billion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.

THELMA LETCH

what a loving name

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Actually this is the new FDotM

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

We had a double dissolution election so that the ABCC could conduct this important public service.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

gay picnic defence posted:

There were a bunch of generators that couldn't run during NSW's heatwave but from memory that was due to them loving up for various reasons and not because they didn't have any gas to burn.

yep IIRC it's because they were asleep at the wheel and there was about 2000MJ of generation that failed to fire during the heatwave. Unsure how much was gas and how much was coal but i'm assuming a good deal was gas.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Solemn Sloth posted:

So Victoria has been floating some potential changes to the Residential Tenancies Act including support for 5/10 year leases, limiting rent increases, allowing long term tenants to make modifications and banning no pet clauses.

The Real Estate peak body is having a fit, the funniest bit of which is threatening that some landlords will exit the market and invest elsewhere, as if lovely landlords not outcompeting potential owner-occupiers would be bad for anyone other than the parasites themselves.

I've been reading some of that policy work around housing/housing affordability and I am very excited about it all. Even if housing affordability stays as poo poo as it is, renters will at least not be total second-class citizens? Being able to get a five-year lease and a nice doggo would rock my world.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Bogan King posted:

https://twitter.com/SkyNewsAust/status/842181014600400897

And the boomers stealing money from the young train keeps chugging along.

Bogan King posted:

House prices go up, the people who currently own the houses get a lot of money from the people who don't and people are left with no money to retire on.

Yep

This government likes to harp on about intergenerational theft, and the welfare system being unsustainable, but this would be absolute stupidity. What happens if you use your super as a deposit (for the profit of current homeowners at that), and then there's a market correction? The bank forecloses, you end up bankrupt with nothing to support you in your old age except for a welfare system that's constantly undermined at every turn.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Zenithe posted:

Seems stupid, aren't we one of the best choices possible to store nuclear material (geologically stable, literally thousands of square kms where nobody goes ever etc.)

quite possibly complicated by native title/traditional ownership?

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Konomex posted:

SA is awaiting a law review on changes to provocation laws to remove the gay panic defense without accidentally also removing legal defences for victims of domestic violence.

Game lifted, just doing their due diligence.

Thankfully, Queensland codified domestic violence defences some years ago.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

She can sure as hell be a powerful advocate when she actually knows what she's talking about.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

what an idiot.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

goodog posted:

The LNP will be saved by the next generation of savvy young politicos.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/yo...e023c793422e601

hahaha this guy is on the academic board at UQ

e: he also made news recently for being happy that abortion will remain a crime in qld :allears:

https://www.buzzfeed.com/ginarushton/this-young-bloke-is-happy-abortion-will-remain-crime?utm_term=.cgWOrODWD#.mg4X9XZoZ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

https://twitter.com/RealMarkLatham/status/846950460439351300

I'm not a homophobe! you are! I love gays!

-Mark Latham, 2017

• Locked thread