Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
I would have thought it would have an effect on malpractice insurance too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

It's me, I'm the person who works twelve days a year

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

I wondered for a sec why the gently caress the liberals would launch a site named protectourweekend then remembered their idiotic line about small business owners having to work weekends because otherwise they'd have to pay someone a fair wage to do it :qq:

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

The Poll bludger at Crikey details what might be the real reason the Liberals are seeking to knife the Nats in WA

quote:

Poll Bludger: the party with the cojones to take on the mining fat cats is ... the Nationals?

The rent-seeking minerals peak body is campaigning hard against the one party that dares to suggest charging the mining companies more for carting away Western Australia's material wealth.

William Bowe — Editor of The Poll Bludger

If politically disengaged Western Australians are aware that a state election is being held next Saturday, chances are they have the Chamber of Minerals and Energy to thank.

Since early November, free-to-air television has been saturated with advertisements in which a series of ordinary Joes denounce a proposed new tax on a mining industry, which, notwithstanding an acknowledged recent downturn, is said to hold the key to the state’s future prosperity.

Even before the formal campaign period began, the cost of the advertising was put at $2 million — well on the way to what a major party would ordinarily expect to spend over the full length of an election campaign.

Only with the quickening of the campaign tempo over the last week has either party’s advertising matched the visibility of the mining industry’s.

In tone and content, the ads are all but indistinguishable from those unloaded on the Resource Super Profits Tax when Kevin Rudd unveiled it six weeks before the termination of his leadership in June 2010.

Aside from the very specific details of the policy being denounced, the only observable distinction is the political target — not the Labor Party this time, nor even its rival in the race to form government after next Saturday.

Instead, the mining industry sledgehammer is being applied to the walnut of the National Party, which has again illustrated the independence of mind peculiar to its Western Australian state branch by offering a brave strategy to tackle a public debt forecast to reach a dizzying $40 billion in 2019-20.

This involves increasing a lease rental rate paid on iron ore production by BHP Billiton and Rio Tinto from 25 cents a tonne to $5 — finally adjusting for inflation a rate that had effectively gone unchanged since it was set in the early 1960s.

It is promised that this will add as much as $2 billion to government revenue annually, assuming the correctness of inevitably contested assumptions.

The policy bears all the stylistic hallmarks of party leader Brendon Grylls, whose remarkable electoral achievements over the past decade largely reflect his success in imposing the Royalties for Regions scheme on the Barnett government.

This reserves a quarter of the state’s mining royalty revenue for regional projects, and would itself be first for the chop under any rationally ordered scheme to restore the budget to health, if either major party dared countenance it.

But whereas Royalties for Regions offers a politically happy confluence of thinly spread pain and thickly concentrated benefit, the loser this time around is the most powerful enemy that anyone in Western Australian politics could contrive to create for themselves.

Even so, the initial reception appeared positive, with a ReachTEL poll in September finding 45.4% in support and 31.5% opposed — suggesting the public now takes a much more sceptical view of the mining industry than it did when federal Labor’s ill-fated tax plans were launched at the peak of the boom.

But when the same pollster repeated the exercise after two months of the ad campaign, support was found to have dropped to 34.8%, with opposition up to 39.0%.

The Chamber of Minerals and Energy further cranked up the psychological pressure on Grylls late last year by releasing results of two privately conducted polls from Pilbara, the formerly Labor-held seat to which Grylls audaciously moved in 2013 as part of a successful strategy to break the party out of its wheat belt heartland and into the then-prospering mining regions of the state’s north and deep interior.

Both showed Grylls in third place, with the implication that the Liberals would win the seat ahead of Labor after the distribution of his preferences.

In late January, however, the Nationals countered with a very different internal poll of their own, showing the Liberal vote tanking and Grylls headed for much the same winning margin over Labor he achieved in 2013.

Either way, there are a number of reasons to think the mining industry can rest easy so far as Grylls’ tax policy is concerned.

Every other party of consequence, including One Nation, is vehemently opposed, and it is highly unlikely that the Nationals will emerge from the election in the formidable bargaining position they enjoyed in 2008, when they held the balance of power in both houses of parliament.

Ultimately, the industry has a bigger objective in mind than simply seeing off a policy proposal from a marginal player like the Nationals — a point made abundantly clear by its massive advertising spend in Perth, where the party isn’t even fielding any candidates.

It’s to ensure that no political party, major or minor, ever loses sight of the fact that any endeavour to draw more revenue from the industry will come at a heavy political cost.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

and police wonder why some people think they're loving scum

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Konomex posted:

I imagine it more hinges on the fact he was just in a rather horrific crash, and so went into automatism mode, which isn't such an unheard of thing. But... that's in terms of people pulling themselves free of a crash. I've never heard of someone going into murder mode. Flight or fight I guess?

Sets a dangerous precedence I would think.

I'm going to say someone who loses any semblance of self control or restraint when involved in high stress situations is not in fact suitable to being a police officer

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

So the Andrews government has announced three new policies targeting housing affordability:

1) First home owners will be exempt from stamp duty on a property $600,000 or less
Smart idea, but I'm not sure that the $600,000 really hits the mark for affordability.
In the South East, you're looking at Dandenong(30km from the CBD) and further to get median prices under $600k (Dandenong's median was $599,950 in the December 16 quarter, and realistically that's being suppressed somewhat by the dandenong brand)
In the East, you need to go out the Emerald(40km)
In the North, Thomastown and beyond (15km)
You need to go West of Sunshine West on the other side(15km)
e: Actually I just looked up the detail and there's a marginal concession offered up to $750k, so that's really good.

Given the stress already on both roads and public transport it's not really ideal. $700k would have included a lot more areas with decent services and accessability.

2) A tax on dwellings that sit unoccupied for more than 6 months of the year, valued at 1% of the capital improved value per year
This is good, there's a chunk of housing stock tied up by people just waiting to realise a capital gain which serves no use to anyone other than the speculator parasites that own them.

3) A pilot program for government co-ownership of houses. Funded for $50M initially, the government will take an equity share in the house of up to 25%, means tested on income ($95k for couples, $75k for singles), with the co-owner to provide at least 5% deposit. The government will realise it's investment upon the sale of the property.
I like this a lot, particularly as it may signal willingness to stop the retreat from investment in social housing.

I have been pleasantly surprised by the state labor government many times since their election, they are continuing to come out with smart and targeted policies. I hope that media hyperbole around the CFA and SkyRail and the loving grift of the scumfuck Speaker of the House doesn't let the Coalition get a look in to undo the good work next year.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

2 JSFs grounded at Avalon for another day because there was a chance of a storm somewhere between Melbourne and Brisbane :allears:

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Fearless Fairfax Journo Paul Malone has responded to claims that he's a piece of poo poo by saying that actually if andie fox didn't want centrelink to release her private data to the public through his article, maybe she shouldn't have criticised them publicly with any personal information.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Starshark posted:

Well, don't. If you want to use that word go to the GBS thread. You can get a free av cert if you use there often enough.

No don't

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

You Am I posted:

Nardella's attitude to this whole affair has been Bronwyn Bishop like. I wonder what he thought he'd get out of this, keeping this attitude.

$100k?

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

If only there was some way of generating electricity that didn't rely on constant consumption of finite resources

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Good size rally against the ABCC in Melbourne led by the CFMEU.

Seems like the Sydney one has good numbers too

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

An excerpt from Crikey in which Pauline Hanson accidentally sits down with GRundle

quote:

“Hey, roll your sleeves up,” the operative said to a candidate, “makes us look average. Not like Labor, Liberal, not like politicians.” I looked down at my table. My reporters’ notebook was on it, unopened, with the legend “reporter’s notebook” across the cover. My media credentials saying “MEDIA”, were beside them. It was difficult to know what more one could do, short of wearing a fedora with “Press” in the band.

Hanson arrived eventually, and we and she and 30 supporters — times two hours, 60 hours of campaigning foregone — trooped out to hear her denounce Mark McGowan and Labor for putting the Liberals before One Nation in preferences, the match of what One Nation were accused of doing with the Libs. People, tattooed, mulleted, singleted, besieged us to get a photo with her. Agency reporters fired questions at her about vaccination. She kept her poise. Caro Meldrum-Hanna, Four Corners reporter extraordinaire, in serious glasses and a white T-shirt so neat as to have been pressed in the ABC’s atom-smashing labs, tried to get to the front. She wore a neat backpack, jetpack like; one gained the impression that she had been blasted out of a tube in Ultimo, in a perfect parabolic arc, to land in this press conference outside Target in Rockingham, WA.

Sympathetic hands propelled her forward, like a Newtown leper being presented to Lady Jesus. “Senator Hanson given [something something something — this is probably the bit I should have taken notes on] why should people vote for you?”
“Do you have a short memory?” Hanson asked, and then returned to Mark McGowan preferencing the Libs over One Nation. On message.

Later, back at Gloria Jeans, the supporters posed for photos with each other and compared tatts, a veritable armoury of Celtic axes, Mexican skulls, martini glasses, and the old Holden logo, many of them sagging over wrinkled skin. These folks had been early adopters, no stupid quotes in cursive script above the collar-line for them.

Colin approached: “When we sit down I’ll bring you over, no one else, just you, ’cause we can talk to you.” Oh Colin, Colin, Colin. At what point does a reporter vet himself and have himself thrown out of the building? Now I would have to ask confronting questions, and all I really wanted to do was write about the motel fittings.

We sat beside the leader, and Colin introduced us.
“Who do you write for?”
“Crikey.”
Hanson’s Picasso eyes parted and flared, one glaring at Colin, the other at me, a bifurcated Medusa stare. “They haven’t always been nice to me,” she said. We hadn’t been that very morning, with my colleagues Keane and Bowe carving up One Nation like a Christmas goose. I hoped she hadn’t read it, and started in on the infrastructure thing, figuring it gave a chance for a straightforward enough answer.
“We don’t have to choose between the deficit and the things we want to do. With federal funding and government savings on waste-“
“Politicians always say they’ll pay for stuff with efficiency savings, that’s a politician’s answer.”
“‘I want to run the government like I run my household, like I ran my shops,” and there it was, the same magical tralala. One Nation can’t decide whether it wants to be an economic nationalist party, talking back to free market, small government mantras, or the last Howardian party (which even Howard’s wasn’t), spruiking savings and the fair go at the same time. We finished early. Colin said he’d send me the next day’s itinerary. I never heard from him again. I’m not sure anyone else has either.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Oh also if you hate your ears there's apparently a "Young IPA Podcast" hosted by Andrew Bolts son.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

That attitude is actually correct, it's just the specifics they apply it to (Colin Barnett and a footy ground) are dumb

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Good loving riddance, the only real shame is that his original fall didnt kill him and spare the world his hideous opinions.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Loving the tone arguments put up by morons, what about his family :qq:

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

aejix posted:

I can't wait to see who they select to replace Leak. Caleb Bond still uses crayons right? He should have a crack

Drop him on his head and hope for the best

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Defending two racist corpses in two days, is Malcolm Turnbull finally discovering a consistent policy platform?

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

adamantium|wang posted:

they're all white people too

Liberalism is super loving bad and harmful

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Quasimango posted:

Don't think there's any point continuing to attack him now he's dead, but I think the fact that he was apparently very charming and friendly in person means that Australian media types have had their judgement clouded as to just how repugnant his later work was.

Alternatively: all the white people in the media are actually just the most waspy rear end liberal motherfuckers= ever and don't actually give a single poo poo about minorities.

Source: everything they say and do ever

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Fuckin lol at some of the swings getting recorded in seats, they need a bigger dial

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

22% swing in Bunbury :laffo:

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

WA Labor are going to sell the power company within two years

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Removing negative gearing would not lower house prices but also simultaneously crash the housing market

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

My friends are dead racists and school children, you'll never guess which one I want to bone

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

freebooter posted:

What an absolutely loving vile sentence. Imagine being the wonk paid to carefully draft bland statements about human rights "challenges" while people are getting gang-raped and watching their children be burned alive.

Just following orders m80

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Liberalism is bad and far more interested in being chums with the popular and the powerful than enacting any sort of change

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

aejix posted:

If you cover up his feet with your thumb it looks like he's making GBS threads piss onto Leak's grave, which feels more appropriate.

Also Turnbull has announced (emphasis on that word) a $2bn upgrade to the Snowy Hydro scheme. No new dams but "could" increase capacity by 50%:

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2017/mar/16/turnbull-2bn-snowy-hydro-electric-expansion

This bit where my terminal cynicism kicks in:

Big gently caress off announcement $2BN RENEWABLE PROJECT MALCOLM BEST PM EVER ALL IS FORGIVEN to take to heat out of the actual concrete action from Weatherill. But, if the Libs are going into this with any intention other than turfing the feasibility study once it's complete, I will be shocked.

I'm looking forward to that dense gently caress Frydenburg explaining why hydro renewable good, wind and solar bad (Assuming most 30+ aussies still have quite a sentimental or romanticised attachment to the Snowy Hydro, they'll pitch it as "oh its always been in our glorious history as a nation of frontiersmen, not like that new age fart-powered renewables").

So I guess the main question I have: Is AREA any good? Havent had time to look up their board and history but if they are actually a genuine cause for good and not some loving think tank stacked with ex-Libs and a leafy name, maybe some good will come out of this!

Pumped hydro isn't really about increasing capacity, it's about evening the load through storage. You still need to connect it to a power source, and if that isn't a variably generating renewable like wind or solar you're just wasting money. It takes more energy to pump the water back up to the higher reservoir than you get back when you're releasing it through the turbines, so you need to be pumping at peak production (high radiation/high wind), and then releasing during peak demand.

Someone in another thread mentioned another take on this which is locating it on the coast so you can just use the ocean as the lower reservoir, although my suspicion is using salt water would cause an increase in maintenance costs.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

So Victoria has been floating some potential changes to the Residential Tenancies Act including support for 5/10 year leases, limiting rent increases, allowing long term tenants to make modifications and banning no pet clauses.

The Real Estate peak body is having a fit, the funniest bit of which is threatening that some landlords will exit the market and invest elsewhere, as if lovely landlords not outcompeting potential owner-occupiers would be bad for anyone other than the parasites themselves.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Listening to an economist on RN regarding the Snowy scheme. He reckons it's probably going to be powered by coal generation.

If that's the case it would actually increase emissions intensity because you lose around 30% of power by using pumped hydro for storage.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

DancingShade posted:

If they're 7 property mortgages in debt to own everything they can't afford to leave anything vacant anyway.

They'll have to sell to the people they outbid who were just looking for a place to live

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

When even the yelling economics guy on morning tv tells you your policy is dumb within 24 hours you really are hosed for ideas

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Brown Paper Bag posted:

It looks like the ALP will win 16 seats in WA's upper house, which means they only need the 2 Green votes to pass legislation.

This is the best possible outcome

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Starshark posted:

:sigh: Again with Kenny and the dog-loving. Why doesn't anyone talk about all the dogs he DIDN'T gently caress?

Righto, what's their name then

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Abbott is a 100% santamaria coven catholic

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Abbott left his seminary because he was disgusted by people in the infirmary who claimed they were too sick to get their own meals

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

gay picnic defence posted:

probably a ham fisted attempt at making himself look a bit anti-establishment or something

also I suppose he feels he needs to be getting a few more mentions in the media and be seen to be showing some 'leadership' to support his pitch for the top job so we'll probably see more of this

gotta build on the momentum of that 3%

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

gay picnic defence posted:

probably thinks it's merely due to his lower profile than some of the alternatives

I still reckon Morrison will be the next PM though

Depends how much people in the party think of him as legit, imo they don't want to put anyone up that they actually want to see lead because they've given up on the next election.

Wouldn't be surprised if they chucked Bishop up there so they can say "we let a woman lead the party and the country" while also saying "clearly women don't work out in leadership, as shown by this historic election loss, see you in another thirty years".

• Locked thread