Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
Di Natale has come out in full throated support of Sally McManus and the rights of workers to pursue industrial action and break unjust laws in doing so.

Australian Labor Party lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

gay picnic defence posted:

That would rely on Bishop being dumb enough to take the job. She might be an evil piece of poo poo but she's also cunning as an outhouse rat and I doubt she'd let herself be set up to take the fall like that

This is true, I guess that's why Dutton is an actual potential choice, he's dumb enough to accept it.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Roger your article is just plain wrong. As the owner of 3 investment properties I have seen their values steadily rise and the will continue to do so. The factors to cause a fall, principally rising unemployment, are simply NOT THERE.

You are just unhappy because you have missed out on the greatest boom of the century whilst I an some other astute investors have cleaned up.

I want to frame that comment, it's perfect.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

open24hours posted:

This seems like a really dumb thing to say, as it compels the reader to ask why a minister should be allowed to have an undocumented meeting to discuss government business?

Yeah, I would have thought it would be a legal requirement to keep track of all
meetings conducted as a minister, and if they don't qualify as a meeting conducted in his guise as minister they sure as gently caress don't count for consulting with community groups.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

An idea so bad even Coles and the SDA agreed it shouldn't be put to workers

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

quote:

"A senior young Liberal source told BuzzFeed News that Edwin Nelson and his hard right faction are “beyond a joke”.
“They are vitriolic and have gone as far as physically assaulting other Young Liberals. If ordinary YLs were able to vote to expel these bigots, they’d have been expelled years ago.”

I guess nobody is all bad.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Straight marriage has way stronger ties to incest than gay marriage ever could

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Bogan King posted:

I think it's more the infighting that shows he's a weak leader than any particular care about 18c one way or the other. It gives the ALP stuff like this to throw at him

https://twitter.com/workmanalice/status/843923649082007552

I don't see him ruling it out, I see him saying it's not a priority because he knew he would cave to the feral right at some point

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Oh also I don't think there's any coincidence about the ferals deciding to roll Turnbull over on 18C on harmony day(also the UN day for the elimination of racial discrimination)

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Hahahahhahahahhahahahahhahahahhaahhahaa

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

I was visiting some friends in the APS a few weeks back, and they were of the legit opinion that Brandis' downfall isn't necessarily a lack of intelligence but rather a complete and total inability to delegate anything ever due to his belief that no one else could do anything as intelligently as he can.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

And I would have gotten away with it too if it wasn't for those meddling corporations

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

QUACKTASTIC posted:

He's not wrong

Please describe to me the person who previously voted PHON above ALP above LNP but is swayed by 18C

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

BBJoey posted:

so phon still has 3/3 while the lnp has 1/3

somehow this does not seem a winning proposition

They don't need to beat PHON, they need to beat the ALP. I'm still extremely dubious that anyone who has stuck with Labor up to this point is going to be swung by tweaking of 18C.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

hooman posted:

Reminder: There are large populations of Australians without head injuries who liked Bill Leak.

Large populations is stretching it given The Australian has a paid circulation of 3, all of whom are rusted on liberal voters

Unless you mean they're all giant fatties

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

You Am I posted:

CFMEU are racists?

Yeah this is bullshit, CFMEU regularly provides big burly support to anti racist rallies. People who think the CFMEU are one of the bad unions are fuckwits

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

jfc :negative:

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Anidav posted:

CFMEU is pretty racist in Brisbane. When the Asian FTAs with China and South Korea went through there were marches onto City Hall for about a week and you would often see dudes dress as samurai holding "HAHA FOOLISH AUSTRALIAN!" signs and other recycled WWII Zap a Jap/Yellow Peril tropes.

Made walking to QUT kind of concerning because you'd have to drift through CFMEU dudes dressed as asian stereotypes with loving dumb signs about how the Asians are coming.

Yeah I'm going to go out on a limb and say the determining factor in racism here is not in fact union membership but rather the fact that they're in Queensland you dumb jock

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

https://twitter.com/rpy/status/844338998923354113

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Forced relocation is a necessary part of history, from the trail of tears to the continual migration of the nomadic steppe tribes westwards from Central Asia

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

JBP posted:

Why do people hate the Adani mine so much?

It's hosed, it doesn't make economic sense without massive government subsidies (like all fossil fuel), and it has massive environmental implications both on site and for transportation of the product

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Pauline Hanson has said we need to vaccinate against Islam. Which I guess means we should teach it in schools or embrace comparative religion subjects or something?

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Azmet Jah posted:

FYI the WA Legislative Assembly is probably the most authentically loving insane of Australia's parliaments. Labor's got twice the Libs' lower house MPs but still probably won't control the assembly because the bush elects half the members. It's for authentically ridiculous WA reasons too. The changing face of mining, Aboriginal disenfranchisement, the state's dumb aristocracy - all capped off with the Greens' genuinely baffling 'bio-regional identity' policy. Love it, all so WA.

What are you even talking about, Perth has like 42 of the 60 odd seats and Labor has a massive majority in the legislative assembly

E: oh, you mean the legislative council. The assembly got fixed a decade ago

Solemn Sloth fucked around with this message at 11:08 on Mar 24, 2017

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

PHONs opposition to strikes and their use of them comes from the same place: it's actually effective.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Lol not even Uhlmann gave Turnbull a pass mark for yelling a lot today

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

https://twitter.com/smurray38/status/847227741594202112

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

BBJoey posted:

shockingly the proportion of people on low wages who live in a household with someone on a high wage is negligible 🤔

Richard di Natalie's au pair doesn't count because she was under the minimum wage, not on it.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Mark Kenny having a big dumb meltdown on the front page about :qq: the senate isn't the house of government, it has no mandate, it's unrepresentative, leave malcom alone:qq:

Try applying the loving slightest bit of rigour to your thought you idiot fuckboy

code:
Upper House				
Party	Vote	Seats	Representation	Misapportionment
LNP	35.2%	30	39.5%		4.3%
ALP	29.8%	26	34.2%		4.4%
GRN	8.7%	9	11.8%		3.1%
PHON	4.3%	4	5.3%		1.0%
NXT	3.3%	3	3.9%		0.6%
LDP	2.2%	1	1.3%		-0.9%
HINCH	1.9%	1	1.3%		-0.6%
FF	1.4%	1	1.3%		-0.1%
JLN	0.5%	1	1.3%		0.8%