Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Came to post dis. See you, space cowboy.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/business/media/bill-leak-dies-aged-61/news-story/491da24376f792c2e9447d702cebf948

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Bogan King posted:

Good. Apparent heart attack though so not sure if true as he showed no signs of having a heart.

He literally had brain damage from a head injury.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

wombat74 posted:

I love Elon Musk. One of the Atlassian guys asked him about his cousin's claims to be able to "solve" SA's energy issues...

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/840032197637685249

He should probably make the same big, open armed promises to his employees.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Starshark posted:

Does anyone know where Leak is going to be buried? I have to take a piss.

Well the rumours are that The Australian have been taking advantage of his brain injury for years by egging him on to do the most racially charged, homophobic poo poo possible.

Don't get me wrong though, a lot of his work since 1995 has been more moderate levels of his recent bullshit.

JBP fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Mar 10, 2017

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Help us Randian Supermen, you're our only hope.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Quasimango posted:

Don't think there's any point continuing to attack him now he's dead, but I think the fact that he was apparently very charming and friendly in person means that Australian media types have had their judgement clouded as to just how repugnant his later work was.

He won 9 Walkleys or some poo poo which is an award administrated by the AJA and now MEAA. His portraits were fantastic for a long time and he was a well respected political cartoonist. He went loving hard slide right after being kicked in the head, but there are plenty of examples of fairly nasty cartoons prior to 2008. His work from 1970 to 1990 wasn't offensive because it was always attacking white people of whatever political designation rather than full on edgy racism.

I'm going to check out some archival poo poo and fact check myself though because the 70-80s were a different time and he probably wasn't held to account.

e: I bought a mech keyboard and I can't type on it good yet

JBP fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Mar 10, 2017

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Yeah it was posted along with the Australian saying they hate freedom or whatever.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

aejix posted:

gently caress me, here I was legitimately thinking Musk/Tesla were finally going to lead the way despite the best efforts of the Tories/Republicans and yet even they aren't immune to loving over the workers. :(

Lesser of two evils? Am I allowed to have some sliver of hope that one of these incomprehensively rich people will actually use that wealth/power for the greater good?

*Hands over novice guide to capitalism*

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Senor Tron posted:

I'm fully expecting SA to buck the trend and end up as the only Coalition state government soon. That said all this Tesla stuff in the news the last couple of days is a wildcard, the power outages have really hurt the government but if they can get consistent messaging about how it's the result of Lib privatisation and they are doing things to fix it everything could flip.

I don't think Andrews is going to survive but I'm also mired in endless pessimism and misery.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Wait what's wrong with Cooper's? They support a religious thing?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

ewe2 posted:

Reminder that Daisy Cousens has a Masters in creative writing. Let that one sink in a bit.

Also, sorry to be an erzatz twitter feed but jfc

https://twitter.com/SenatorMRoberts/status/841439459690258432

Melbourne Comedy Festival started early this year?

Do PHON support nuclear power or are they nimby on it?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

What does a political erotica editor make these days anyway?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

She want that weird white-right dick. Caleb want that weird white-right tang. We all have needs and wants guys.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Stop kink shaming itt imo

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Zenithe posted:

SDA have publicly opposed the cuts, but are beyond poo poo so who knows

edit. also, most of their members work from large companies that are unaffected anyway so they barely have an incentive to do poo poo.

They enabled the justification of cuts by signing deals for major retail with lesser penalty rates. How this union doesn't care or understand that corporations constantly scream about precedent being set when one worker loses a provision is loving beyond me.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I don't know what anyone expected.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

SLASHER HAWKE posted:

It would have been so much easier to say "industrial action shouldn't be illegal."

The only developed country on earth that I am aware of that can fine a population $7000 a head for a general strike.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

The day I can call the cops because my boss has hoarded my super and stolen my money is the day I will respect the rule of industrial law.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Urcher posted:

So you can be convicted of dueling even if you didn't know you were dueling? Sounds odd to me. How often do people get into unwitting duels?

Ignorance of the law is no defence.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Urcher posted:

Strict liability is about ignorance of what you were doing, ignorance of the law is different.

It's a joke due to that being a commonly used phrase and we are talking about duels.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

gay picnic defence posted:

I wonder how you'd go about organising some sort of homebuyers strike where no current or would-be owner occupiers bought property for a few months

So you'd take people that want to buy a home out of the equation and leave investors to reap some discounts for a bit :c00l:

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Spin, spin, spin!

Does "Exclusive poll" in this case mean one they just made up? Then again, I wouldn't be surprised - waiting at the Doctor's yesterday across from me an old couple were talking about it and posited why couldn't Weatherill just turn Pelican Point into a gas powered station. Preeeeeety sure it's a lot more complicated than that.

The poll was taken 2 days before that presser and indicated 39% blame SA and 35 or 36% blame the national energy market. I'm fairly sure that Weatherill knocked that figure into reverse with his appearance alongside Frydenberg.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

MysticalMachineGun posted:

The nerd boner for nuclear power mystifies me. Chatting to some guys at work about nuclear vs renewables, I raised an article I read ages ago that it would take 20 years for nuclear to be viable in Australia, but renewables are ready now. And they kept saying that nuclear would improve its technology but "there's no guarantee that renewables will get more efficient" and it's like, gently caress, engineers are working on both, what's the difference?

I support nuclear power but we should have built a rector for NSW at the very least about 15 years ago, so gently caress it just motor through and get some big honking solar farms and energy storage up and running.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

We have a 50 something billion dollar defense budget and military dudes are always citing energy as a military issue in the future, as well as global warming. So just cut that by 6 billion for a two year stretch, build 4 loving 800mw Cal style solar farms and not worry about gas and poo poo because you're suddenly good for energy in one or two entire states.

By not worry about gas I mean not require as much since all you need it for is to boot up the solar reactor each morning and that only uses a fraction of what a gas plant would for way loving higher output per unit.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

zedar posted:

Wouldn't they need 19 to get the majority in a 36 seat house? Which would make it the greens plus someone else.

You are correct. They will need to get libdems, shooters and fishers or one nation on board if you took it as a given that the greens will support a bill.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Brown Paper Bag posted:

Ah okay. This ABC article suggests otherwise (right at the end):
http://ab.co/2nHlBNQ

Yeah I don't know how they come to that conclusion, because 18 ALP/GRN versus 18 LNP/DKHDS is a tie.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Bury the spent rods on Manus.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Bill Leak died lmao

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Surname/tweet combo. Fake news.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Bill Leak status: still dead

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I only hope that the new Snowy project will mean a resurgence in dinky di Australian cinema.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Is there any rational reason the LNP got a bump in polls outside of Snowy river? I've felt like they were losing momentum and looking awful lately. What have I missed if anything?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Throw the book at them, Mal.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Anidav posted:

A Centrelink Officer wrote, “While I accept that your right, dominant hand is non-functional as a result of the amputation, there is no objective medical evidence to indicate that there is a severe functional impact on activities like turning the pages of a book, using a pen or pencil or using a keyboard or carrying most objects with your functional arm.’’

Is this as a result of a medical assessment? I don't know the clink process for appraising an injury, but this guy is arguably a 75% incapacity worker under work cover which means you get paid. Obviously he can't do this because it isn't work related, but you would think that an independent medical board/examiner would reach the same conclusion as the hardcore shitcan work cover system.

What on loving earth it this "centrelink officer" on about?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Does putting a pencil in my mouth count as holding it?

Also thanks for showing me something worse than commcare and wc, what a time to be alive.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I didn't realise Q and A still had viewership due to it being interminable trash.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

18D also clarifies it to the point that it's meaningless. Gotta whistle out to them dogs though.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Urcher posted:

I'm only sightly concerned about "hackers". The bigger problem is the companies with the data using it for shady purposes like Uber's god view and walks of glory, selling the data to affiliates, and not requiring due process before giving data to law enforcement.

What is Uber's God view? I only take transport to my house from getting drunk/high so I don't understand the wider implications and bows that can be drawn.

e: Outside of them watching you go to Marxism 2017

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

What did Uber do to them once they tracked them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Urcher posted:

Gave their location out to all the party goers.

Uber employees also use it to stalk their exes. http://www.news.com.au/finance/busi...dbe2a90cfe56c66

Ah well.

• Locked thread