Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
I don't think you can ever be an ironic Nazi any more than you can be half pregnant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Godwin himself stated that Godwin's Law doesn't apply if you're talking about actual fascists.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Yeah, that does stand to reason, and might be one of the things that comes with normalisation.

"Are you sure he's a fascist? He doesn't seem that bad to me?" Meanwhile the Hispanics/Jews/Muslims in your neighbourhood start walking around in fear of what's going to happen next.

EDIT: This stuff passing out of living memory does has an effect, too, I think. At mum's old work the guy who organised her payroll was postwar migrant from Germany, a lovely old man; I remember reading his wife's memoir of when they were pre-war Germany and remarking that someone in their street had been disappeared for simply having the BBC Overseas Service on their radio. They decided to get the hell out of there when they got the chance.

The Deadly Hume fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Mar 5, 2017

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Capt.Whorebags posted:

I'm not sure that Fascism really describes PHON. My understanding of fascism was that the individual worked for the ultimate good of the national strength (which was usually defined in a ubermenschen sort of way) happily enough making a buck as well..

I think a majority of PHON supporters want to do whatever they like, including being rascist pricks. Other than that they want the smallest government lossible, or if it's a big government, it spends its time persecuting those other people.
It's probably closer to Know-Nothing or Nativism. It's pretty much a dumb-arsed form of fascism.

Hanson is parroting Trump (antivax, thinks Putin is a cool guy) because she sees Trump has had a winning strategy, where in fact in a functioning democratic system Trump wouldn't have gotten past Go. Of course it's arguable whether our country's electoral system is particularly functional either, but as it is, Hanson is going to be hard-pressed to get any more than 1-2 seats in the lower house, seeing as the Greens who are far more politically savvy (at least in Victoria and Tasmania) still struggle to get that many.

Dawson is probably their best bet because you'd have to look at someone like Christensen and conclude that PHON is closer to the centre than that guy.

Thing is, for all the dumb talk about One Nation becoming more sophisticated, Hanson might have a few more resources to throw around, but essentially she's still peddling the same know-nothing (or Nativist) twaddle that she was 20 years ago. But of course what happened since was that, well, we have normalised things like offshore detention.

(Mutters something about Hanson being given an easy ride by the media because they love carnival sideshows.)

While we definitely have to take PHON seriously (and literally), the bigger problem is that the L/NP coalition is spooked by her to the point where they think the only way they can win votes back is by hurting people, whether it's through Robodebt or cutting penalty rates. The problem with that is now it's hurting people who vote - of course they've tried a few suppression techniques, but the whole compulsory voting thing means that it's not just a case of mobilising your dudes and suppressing their dudes, you have to win over the swinging centre as well.

The ALP under Shorten is kind of boring (and they are definitely craven on certain issues) but although their primary vote isn't fantastic either, they will be in the position where they can say, well, we're the Sensible Centre.

The next stage is the WA State Election - from the polling it looks like the ALP there will get a 10-11% swing from 2013, which will be more enough to win them government with a handful of seats to spare. Upper house, though, who the gently caress knows what's going to happen with that. I'm just glad I don't have to live there.

A state election result like that probably shouldn't have as much effect on the federal scene, but if the federal Liberals immediate response is to ditch Turnbull for Dutton and think that'll solve all their problems, nah. It's just going to deepen the stink around the government - maybe a bit of a poll bump at first as the initial tone-deaf "DUTTON IS A DYNAMIC SPECIMEN OF A MAN" puff pieces get farted out because good golly gosh does the media love a novelty, but as he's actually called on to do things that he is incapable of, and because he doesn't have that shield of gravitas Turnbull started off with, the drift is going to continue.

Why the gently caress would they choose Dutton, anyway? He is a dumb Queensland copper who thinks with his cerebellum and is just going to dilute the primary vote even more. I could understand if they went with that ratfucker ScoMo because he's NSW Right and does have some kind of evil charisma, but Dutton? He curdles milk and makes babies cry everywhere he goes.

The Deadly Hume fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Mar 5, 2017

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Now I remember why I stopped posting in these threads because I wasted too much time posting these stupid braindumps

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Scylo posted:

Tbf nick xenophon is also in the mix when it comes to non two party influence
And his party has actually won House of Reps seats. (well, seat.)

Some of his policies are still poo poo, like he supports the penalty rates cut, but at least he's relatively sane.

Interesting observation by Possum Comitatus @Pollytics who does a lot of polling is that the corrupt Trump stuff is actually a turn-off for a lot of potential PHON voters even though they've been cheesed off by the major parties. These are votes that could easily go elsewhere.
https://twitter.com/Pollytics/status/835828327961124864

Her doubling down on that poo poo today probably won't help, and of course most of the people she recruits turn out to be muppets who couldn't even cop a feel in a sea of nipples.

Trump can wing it because he's got a bunch of arseholes around him who are more than happy to write up poo poo for him to sign while he fucks off to his golf course for a week. Hanson has James Ashby, of all people.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

The government's already at the point of doxxing people for daring to speak out against policy so why the gently caress not establish a Stasi.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Did people bitch this much when they changed the ped lights from text?

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

I hope Andrew Bolt dies next.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

The Deadly Hume posted:

I hope Andrew Bolt dies next.
Or maybe Chris Kenny. Hell, I'm not fussy.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Oh of course the WA poll is tomorrow. Better stack up on popcorn

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

At least people seem to have have worked out that PHON are all idiots before they voted this time. Maybe the cribbing the Putin love and antivaxxer poo poo from the Trump playbook didn't play out as well as Pauline thought it might.

I'm not sure how the upper house numbers usually play out in WA with the regional divisions, guessing they may get one or two up there, but the RWNJ vote seems to be all over the shop.

EDIT:

@GhostWhoVotes posted:

#Newspoll WA State Primary Votes: LIB 32 (+2) NAT 5 (0) ALP 41 (+3) ON 8 (-5) GRN 7 (-2) #wavotes #auspol
OK here we go. If ALP's getting over 40% primary...

This rules.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Ora Tzo posted:

Such messaging will go over better in QLD.
What about the part where Hanson suggested QLD give some of their GST share to WA for the hell of it?

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

A good cartoonist died :(

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

trunkh posted:

So has this kind of reactionary response from federal government/leaders to state leaders / policy announcements occurred before? I don't have a memory of such occurrences and it seems so petty.
Not sure if this counts but when ACT legalised equal marriage they got the tonne of bricks treatment.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

BTW, the bubble popping is the optimistic scenario.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

QUACKTASTIC posted:

poor Bill Leak, thought of 18C and died
triggered

• Locked thread