Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

he isn't really a small "l" liberal though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

I just found out that the email I sent to my 88 year old grandma back home that I haven't seen for almost 9 months didn't get through because she is having trouble with the NBN being installed at her house. Her old internet connection mustn't be working anymore.

I'm so loving angry.

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

look it's all well and good for you to talk about profitability but it's one thing to be profitable but it's another to be profitable enough

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

For those who are interested, I just got an email from the guys behind Saturday Paper. They are following the lead of Crikey by offering a weekday daily "briefing" in the morning that is basically a neat summary of news from Australia and around the world.

I don't think it's a paid-for thing, whereas I think Crikey's is. Crikey's version comes out around 8am EST but I think you have to be a subscriber to get it.

Both of these outlets do high quality investigative work, and Saturday Paper has been great from the beginning when it started a few years ago. I have zero problem advocating for either of them and if you can spare the sub fee do it.

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

It's a pretty straightforward win for both outlets. They already have the staff on board to do it, and they are already trawling the web and other sources for material for their normal publications so it's only natural and minimal additional investment to give out a daily in the morning for content news freaks.

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

You see, class is not what you have now but what your family used to have 3+ generations ago.

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

open24hours posted:

The argument that we need to reform our welfare system because of automation always gives me the shits.

Aside from humanity always finding a new problem to work on once we've solved an earlier one, which we will do again once cars and factories are automated, we need to reform our welfare system now and for reasons that have nothing to do with automation. Arguments for welfare reform in a world with robots are just as applicable in a world without them.

My only thought with regard to the "new problem" is that a post-automation world just involves us solving bigger problems, such as mass space travel and population. If we can spend the rest of human existence solving that without consuming Earth in the process, we'll be fine.

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

I think the main reason why Hitler's legacy lasted so long was because what he did was directly lived by so many people who shared their stories pretty much straight away both during and after WW2. Having the last generation who lived through it quickly dying off means we have nobody around who actually remember what it was like personally, so we have to rely on much more tenuous stories from film and books.

Its much easier for the modern fascist to dismiss this sort of namecalling because they didn't have to live through the direct effects of this sort of fascism themselves.

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

Like that Spencer guy getting an elbow to the face on camera doesn't get the fact that during the 30s in Germany he could get much worse for much less and seemingly at random. His assumption is that merely being on the same side as the oppressors guarantees immunity to future elbows to the face.

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

Capt.Whorebags posted:

I'm not sure that Fascism really describes PHON. My understanding of fascism was that the individual worked for the ultimate good of the national strength (which was usually defined in a ubermenschen sort of way) happily enough making a buck as well..

I think a majority of PHON supporters want to do whatever they like, including being rascist pricks. Other than that they want the smallest government lossible, or if it's a big government, it spends its time persecuting those other people.

or OR... their material concerns have become so bad that they are willing to place them over and above all other considerations when determining who best to lead the country, and whichever stupid numpty promises to address their material concerns is the one for them

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

Konomex posted:

Whilst not advocating for assassination. At what point does it become a viable idea?

If you had the chance to murder the Nazi party before they came to power, would you do it? If someone advocates for Nazi ideas, is it your morale duty to explode them?

I claim that if somebody could magically go back in time and stop the Nazis from gaining power the world as we know it now would be unrecognisable for how differently the path each person and nation would have taken in the aftermath. This isn't necessarily a good thing either.

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

Tough call, that 2% for petty theft could come with a torture and death sentence in 1933.

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

ungulateman posted:

More importantly, is performing a perfunctory act with no consequences beyond making somebody unhappy unethical, even if that person is Literally Hitler

i say no but it's a very dumb question imo

Depends on your perspective I guess. Analysing it from a materialist perspective (and therefore utilitarian, which is the only way to evaluate these things, fight me) the choice can be made simply by balancing the chance of being caught against the material gain to yourself relative to your existing asset base. It's well known that Hitler was independently wealthy and while it would ruin his night, he would not be materially affected beyond maybe not being able to pay for dinner. He won't starve, and more to the point he might receive sympathy from Eva Braun and maybe a hug. Meanwhile assuming that 2% worked in your favour and the wallet contained enough money the risk might well have been worth it.

Of course if you're some idiot who values rules and laws over and above your own security (inc. food security) then go ahead and leave it in his pocket.

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

Or, if you feel compelled to evaluate it from a Freudian perspective, the wallet represents repressed desire for your mother and the act of taking it is a way to break the taboo's influence on your mind. The aftereffects of this may well be too uncomfortable to bear.

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

trap sprung :getin:

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

I'm legit sad about Murray Ball, I sent them an email a few months ago because we were in the area and would have stopped in but his son replied saying he can't really speak to anybody these days. Now I know why :smith:

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

I'm on the side of those that think this is both a stupid idea and that the government won't go for it. If they are indeed stupid enough to go for it because they are desperate for a solution then everybody here in this thread should NOT use whatever super you have to do all of this and just rent forever because whoever goes for this is going to lose their money one way or another.

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

Bogan King posted:

AAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHA

The coal thing is plausible, only because coal generation is cheaper without a carbon price. If they implement pumped hydro, the electricity required to pump uphill has to come from somewhere and without a shitload of new renewables in place beforehand the only answer is to ramp up existing fossil fuel generation.

That's not to say there won't be an increase in solar and wind to replace them into the future but without a carbon price or a specific regulatory incentive coal will still be the cheaper option. The only thing the east coast gets out of it is that when the renewables finally get so cheap to surpass coal once and for all, the storage solution will be in place to smooth out the fluctuations inherent in both types of generation.

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

Joyce is right that there need to be jobs in the regions to entice people to move there, but this kinda seems a bit hamfisted to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

Its encouraging to see just how much the opposition in the party to focusing on 18C has come from them not wanting to shift focus away from economic issues. Granted they should oppose it for the right reasons but you can bet they're getting the pressure from all sides to get on with making everybodys life a little easier.

• Locked thread