Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

Is the prevalence of the phrase "Judeo-Christian values" because it's frowned upon to hate on the Jews?

Clearly it's okay to paper over the history of anti-Semitism, and well, anti-Catholic (or anything not CoE) that prevailed in this country.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

Cartoon posted:

Well interesting you mention anti catholic sentiment because rather than just saying outright they are a Catholic group they would rather hide behind the more inclusive sounding "Judeo-Christian". I think it has also become a dog whistle for meaning Old school christian as well.

I think it's a phrase most often used in place of "whites only".

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

I'm not sure that Fascism really describes PHON. My understanding of fascism was that the individual worked for the ultimate good of the national strength (which was usually defined in a ubermenschen sort of way) happily enough making a buck as well..

I think a majority of PHON supporters want to do whatever they like, including being rascist pricks. Other than that they want the smallest government lossible, or if it's a big government, it spends its time persecuting those other people.

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

Dude McAwesome posted:

hahahahaha, that's magnificent.

"i'm not dumb, i read books."

Ah yes, the Brandis Gambit is a favourite at senate estimates and committees.

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

Starchy Tuber tells CEO's to "Stick to Knitting" instead of social activism:

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/fed...318-gv11uh.html

So, you'll no longer be accepting donations from these guys Peter?

Also, love the "But mah free speech" outrage about those getup types boycotting companies. It's not blackmail, it's the free market.

There was some talk about legislating against organised boycotts when the Alan Jones turd hit the fan a couple of years ago, no doubt it's being put in the microwave for a reheat as we speak.

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

DancingShade posted:

The people of Australia are free to live whatever lives they choose just so long as they choose to go back to church, return to the tradition of tithing 10% of their salary, all women wear long dresses instead of men's pants and the peasants cease disrespecting their social betters.

Anything else is just bullying by the filthy lefties.

This is literally what T Abbott believes, as well as anyone else who lists B.A. Santamaria as their hero.

Nuclear families, living under the grace and authority of local bishops, as far as the eye can see.

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

gay picnic defence posted:

That would rely on Bishop being dumb enough to take the job. She might be an evil piece of poo poo but she's also cunning as an outhouse rat and I doubt she'd let herself be set up to take the fall like that

See also: COSTELLO, Peter

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

So that's what Dementors look like without their cloaks.

The QandA photo shows a clear case of resting lich face.

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

LNP have mastered the art of postal vote harvesting. Their bloc voters respond very well to postal vote solicitation.

Hell, Morrison admitted that they had a superior postal vote scam on election night last year, that's why he was confident close seats would fall their way.

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

Lid posted:

The way Marcus Cornish sees it, Penrith is "the last bastion of the Australian way of life in Sydney" and it is his job as a local councillor to "inoculate" the area against the dark changes that have swept the rest of the region over the years.

Asked what he means by "last bastion", the Penrith City councillor is blunt. "It is the most Anglo-Saxon area in Sydney," he says, outside of Macarthur, to Penrith's west. As a result its residents are more relaxed than they are in other parts of the city. Crime is lower, he says. People still play backyard cricket.

Thousands of people trudging in to Penriff Panfers Club to see lovely bands, eat at chain restaurants and pile all of their hard earned in to massive halls of fruit machines.

He may just be right.

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

Bill's legacy lives on.

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

Ten Becquerels posted:

The Australian ran a front-page story about Sally McManus supposedly faking her CV by lying about being on the Macquarie Uni student union council in the 90s. Turns out they were actually being lazy idiots by not noticing or bothering to find out that the student union and the student council were two separate things, and she was in the union, not the council. Top quality journalism right here.

Yes and the "correction" piece was headlined "Sally McManus clarifies Macquarie Uni student union past", to give the impression that she's had to explain her actions, rather than "Unprofitable chip wrapper makes hash of yet another hatchet piece"

Capt.Whorebags fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Mar 30, 2017

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

Don Dongington posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if it's a typical Tory "Feelpinion", with no actual basis in fact or figures.

If the statement had any factual basis, they would surely have cited the relevant report or used the actual figures, rather than using vague language like "Many high income households".

Well you see that even though a family might be making $400,000 in salary, once you factor in private school fees, BMW leases, mortgage payments on their Bronte house and the bare minimum 3 overseas trips a year, they're actually struggling.

Also, that $400,000 salary is only about $30,000 taxable due to 6 negatively geared properties, furthermore.....

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

Lid posted:

Mr Hockey said the President's hostility to the media, often delivered in late-night or early-morning Twitter bursts, was shared by many Americans. "His war against the media has public support," Mr Hockey said.

While noting the folly of political predictions, Mr Hockey said he suspected the President's recent failure to repeal Barack Obama's healthcare regime - his core election promise - would have "little negative impact" among Republican voters.

"It will be seen as a failure of the system and will reflect poorly on the already poorly-regarded Congress," he said.

This is why I'm in favour of career diplomats getting critical postings such as Washington, London, Beijing, Jakarta or the EU.

Politicians will see every engagement through the prism of political expediency. Much weight is given to the ability of politicians to be able to open doors and leverage friendships but this can come back to bite when either Australia or the foreign country changes government. Diplomats understand that diplomacy and foreign relations is the domain of incrementalism - real progress is not made in leaps and bounds, but small concessions and changes.

Granted, my left bias tends to see Beasley as an exception to this, but I recognise that overall we'd be better served by having professionals in these roles.

Ditto APS departments - bring back the permanent secretaries (well, perhaps give them a tenure of 10 years) and remove politics as much as possible.

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

Solemn Sloth posted:

Mark Kenny having a big dumb meltdown on the front page about :qq: the senate isn't the house of government, it has no mandate, it's unrepresentative, leave malcom alone:qq:

Try applying the loving slightest bit of rigour to your thought you idiot fuckboy

code:
Upper House				
Party	Vote	Seats	Representation	Misapportionment
LNP	35.2%	30	39.5%		4.3%
ALP	29.8%	26	34.2%		4.4%
GRN	8.7%	9	11.8%		3.1%
PHON	4.3%	4	5.3%		1.0%
NXT	3.3%	3	3.9%		0.6%
LDP	2.2%	1	1.3%		-0.9%
HINCH	1.9%	1	1.3%		-0.6%
FF	1.4%	1	1.3%		-0.1%
JLN	0.5%	1	1.3%		0.8%
Lower House				
Party	Vote	Seats	Representation	Misapportionment
LNP	42%	76	50.7%		8.7%
ALP	34.70%	69	46.0%		11.3%
GRN	10.20%	1	0.7%		-9.5%
NXT	1.80%	1	0.7%		-1.1%
IND	11.10%	3	2.0%		-9.1%

What do they expect, a clerk sitting alone in the chamber to rubber stamp everything that comes up from the house? Praise allah that it takes a referendum to change the constitution, otherwise the senate would have been legislated out of existence long ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

starkebn posted:

When you barely get a one seat majority in the lower house you obviously have the mandate to just do whatever you loving want

Unless of course the Natural Party Of Government is in opposition, then blocking bills in the senate is a useful tool to convince the Bunyip Potentate to sack the government.

• Locked thread