Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Hey, it's March and we're talking about Australian Politics!

In Recent News:
The Fair Work Commission - an independent body - handed down a ruling that essentially said "society sees working on Sunday as a greater hassle than any other day but lol if we're going to pay you more for it" reducing hospitality and retail workers award rates to be more in line with Saturday.

Tony Abbott continues to be a glaring hypocrite by being the Rudd to Turnbull's Gillard, despite the fact that Rudd was actually popular with people and unpopular with his party, where Abbott is unpopular with absolutely everyone.

WA state election is coming up and there's been some furore about the Libs preferencing One Nation over the Nationals. This is actually the Libs looking to the future instead of the 50's for a change and realising that the Nationals are dead as a loving dodo.

The Parties and Their Leaders:

The Liberals

Lead by Malcolm Turnbull George Christensen, the Liberal/National coalition stand for all that's w/right in Australia. They're currently sitting on a minority government with a slim margin, and dealing with sniping from former leader Tony Abbott. Universally reviled SA senator Cory Bernardi recently left the party to form his own conversative party (bringing the count of Australian conservative parties up to loving 5) so hopefully this it the last time we'll ever need to talk about him.

Lab-ah

Run by Bill Shorten Joe De Bruyn and the Shoppies Union, the Labor party stands for regaining power and doing whatever the right faction of the caucus wants. Shorten's current strategy is to sit back and watch the Libs eat each other.

Pauline Hanson's One Nation

Despite the name this party now simply copies whatever dear leader Trump does. They have 4 senate seats thanks to a Double Dissolution election and are gaining power in WA in QLD.

The Greens

Australia's only truly left party, the Greens look to leader Karl Marx to light the way while some faux-leftie named Di Natale sends out Facebook posts and tries to ignore the SALTies attempting splits in NSW.

quote:

There is an irc channel, #auspol on synirc where Australians discuss things, presumably dark spooky things that man was not meant to know.

IRC Rules: Don't be a shithead, don't say racist, sexist, or nasty things. Don't discuss verboten topics.

MysticalMachineGun fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Mar 2, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

noice

Also, be afraid:
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/mar/01/think-trumps-travel-ban-was-bad-peter-dutton-may-soon-have-the-power-to-play-god

The Guardian posted:

Think Trump’s travel ban was bad? Peter Dutton may soon have the power to play God

The world reacted in horror as President Trump’s executive order to limit travel from seven Muslim-majority nations saw families torn apart and citizens refused entry at US airports. US courts have blocked the order for now, yet Australia’s immigration minister, Peter Dutton, seeks those very same draconian powers.

Two bills currently before federal parliament are an attempt to significantly expand Dutton’s Trump-like powers. This expansion would increase his power, decrease government accountability and all but write out the courts’ review powers. They would allow the immigration minister to play God; to make significant decisions that would affect the lives of vulnerable people, and to do so unchecked.

Information about a welfare recipient is considered protected but there are exceptions to the rule

The first is the “visa ban bill”, formally the Migration Legislation Amendment (Regional Processing Cohort) Bill 2016 – a proposed law that would prevent any adult taken to Nauru or Manus Island after 19 July 2013 from ever making a valid Australian visa application. It applies to asylum seekers intercepted at sea and taken to Nauru or Manus, including those currently in Australia for medical treatment.

The visa ban bill contravenes Australia’s international human rights obligations. Refugee law experts, human rights advocates and even the Labor party, which reintroduced the use of detention centres on Nauru and Manus, argue the bill is inhumane, discriminatory and pointless.

In a similar vein to Trump’s executive order, this ban will separate families.

The only so-called safeguard is that the minister would have the power to overrule the visa ban in individual cases when he considers it is in “the public interest”. Of course, a safeguard that relies on the whim of the decision-maker, with no independent oversight, is no safeguard at all.

The second bill, currently before the Senate, is the Migration Amendment (Visa Revalidation and Other Measures) Bill 2016. This bill allows the minister to personally issue a revalidation requirement for entire specified cohorts of visa holders, immediately preventing them from being able to enter Australia until their visa is revalidated. The power is not limited to any particular class of visa.

This power may be exercised on the basis of defined criteria, such as health checks, but may also be exercised when the minister considers it is in “the public interest” to do so. The unfettered, exceptionally broad power this gives the minister over any individual residing in Australia, who does not hold Australian citizenship, is alarming.

Refugees are too often described by politicians and parts of the media as a problem. But behind the headlines are people with powerful personal stories. The Guardian’s Dear Australia project is a new series that will hear the firsthand testaments of refugees and asylum seekers. Together their videos will tell the larger story of those who seek sanctuary to build new lives in Australia

These bills allow just one person – the immigration minister – to make substantial and permanent decisions about another person’s life: whether a young woman will be sent back to the persecution from which she fled; whether a baby born in Australia to asylum seekers will be allowed to grow up with his or her parents; whether a person will have their visa cancelled without warning or opportunity to apply for its reinstatement.

The minister’s decision is virtually unreviewable unlike Trump’s executive order which, we have seen, the courts can interrogate.

Liberty Victoria’s Young Liberty for Law Reform has comprehensively reviewed the past 60 years of Australia’s immigration laws and found a troubling increase in decision-making powers that include “public interest” as a condition for the exercise of a non-reviewable, non-compellable ministerial discretion.

Public interest has been described by the courts as entirely discretionary and politically motivated. So, Dutton can decide whether to exercise his decision-making power and he defines what the public interest is. No checks. No balances. No accountability.

The government argues that ministerial discretion is necessary in migration matters, and that it is often used in compassionate cases. That does not mean that this power always achieves compassionate outcomes.

While increasing the minister’s powers, these two bills also sideline the checks and balances that keep our government accountable.

Powers of this kind have long been criticised. As far back as 1989 the then-immigration minister, Robert Ray, attempted to remove all ministerial discretion from the Migration Act, stating: “Decision-making guidelines are perceived to be obscure, arbitrarily changed and applied, and subject to day-to-day political intervention in individual cases.”

In 2004, a Senate inquiry into ministerial discretion in migration recommended that these powers should be “a last resort to deal with cases that a truly exceptional or unforeseeable.”

The committee found the minister’s ability to “micro-manage” the immigration system concerning, given it “creates the possibility and perception of corruption.” And in 2008 then-immigration minister Chris Evans stated he was uncomfortable with the unprecedented power given to the immigration minister because these powers lack transparency, accountability, appeal rights and allowed him to “play God.”

Discretionary ministerial powers were originally established to prevent injustice. They were a tool to fix anomalies, a safety net reserved for extraordinary cases, and a power to override the missteps of a blind bureaucracy.

These bills increase Dutton’s ability to make life or death decisions. They allow him to decide which families get to be together and which don’t. They do all of this while simultaneously eroding the safeguards that were designed to protect fair decision-making.

The minister must not be allowed to play God.

Why would he even want to be PM when he can wield so much power?

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

I'm so glad you brought that over - he's a full on fake news, white supremacist, misogynist Trump supporter.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Ray Hadley in good opinion shocker

Recoome posted:

Only the loving ultranationalists would wear faux Islamic religious dress while going to court for racial vilification

Is this in Queensland? Do they think they're the Chaser or something?

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

A Turnbull government cabinet minister has been caught out failing to properly declare her financial interests, potentially placing her in “serious contempt” of federal parliament.

Employment Minister Michaelia Cash did not declare a mortgage on a $1.4 million investment property for almost four months – and finally made the disclosure only after questions from Fairfax Media.

Ms Cash bought the house next door to her home in the upmarket Perth suburb of Floreat in early November, property records show.

It’s the fourth house in her portfolio, and second investment property. Ms Cash took almost three months to declare the house but did not declare the new mortgage – both of which are required under the rules.

Watch nothing come of this, but still :bisonyes:

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

The same journalist who broke the Ley story broke the Bronwyn Bishop story, there's something going on I reckon.

Probably an old grey-hair in the Liberal party wants to get rid of all these women folk messing up the place. Politics is a man's job

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

If they want to portray Dutton as softer they should boil him for a while

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

G-Spot Run posted:

Faces of PHON voters on ABC24 this morning and the haggard toothless stereotypes are out in force

I loved when she asked that old dude about Hanson's policies and he just kept repeating that he liked her

I also love how doing a deal with the Libs is hurting both parties. The supporters of the lady that parrots Trump and Alex Jones talking points don't like being tied to establishment politicians (Hanson's been in politics what, 20 years now?) while the supporters of stronger borders and loving the poor don't want to be correctly called outright racist

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

:psyduck: replace them with WALK and DON'T WALK and there's no gender bias, jesus.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Cirofren posted:

Vic polls have turned against labour. The hun's frontpage says voters are abonding them in droves and according to the ReachTEL poll they'd lose 18 seats if the next election was now.

They blame the $100k scandal as though crossing signals have nothing to do with it!

Why Victorians whyyyyyyyyyy

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

You Am I posted:

The Herald Sun has hated Dandrews winning the last state election and have tried everything to get dirt on them, both with the CFA and the youth justice issues.

Can they weight the polls though? I know the Hun's leanings, but if they're reporting accurate poll figures then their smear campaign is working :(

Bogan King posted:

Happy international womens day ladies, the chamber of commerce has your back. See cutting penalty rates is their gift to women so now they can work more hours on Sundays. Who says men never do anything for you females.

https://twitter.com/AusChamber/status/839294771961049089

Can we please have an employment report published weekly that will unequivocally show that profits will rise for this but not one single new job or more hours will be created.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

I'm sure I've posted the exact same thing before but to view Hanson as an outsider when she's now been a politician for twenty loving years is a hell of a thing.

Same with Lambie, they're not outsiders, they're just politicians who nobody loving voted for so they kept shifting around until they did.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

This is going to be a fun weekend :allears:

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Doctor Spaceman posted:

And they only get about $5 an hour too.

Much better.

Shouldn't pollies be happy with more weeks in Canberra? That's more tax payer money they can hoover up for staying in their partners' houses.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

It's a beautiful day friendos

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

The Deadly Hume posted:

A good cartoonist died :(

I'd love to see a count of how many papers eulogise Murray Bell vs Leak.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

:(

I've been funding a homophobic agenda for like 16 years, gently caress off Dr Tim.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

aejix posted:

Attaboy Jay

I eagerly await the wall-to-wall coverage of Libs screaming hysterically that we'll all be rooooooooned

That's what worries me, we're a one paper town after all. Then again the local Libs haven't seen power in over a decade and "fixing our power problems" is a pretty hard policy to attack.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

The Advertiser, the last six months probably: "C'mon Weatherill, do something about the power outages you useless lefty fuckstick"

The Advertiser, today: "Weatherill's doing something about power but it's going to coooooooooost mooooooooooooooooooney :qq: :qq: :qq: "

Seriously, the headline is "Weatherill's Power Bill to South Australians" when it should be "The cost of privatising our electricity grid in the 90's"

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

That is one hell of a Simpsons/Futurama mixed metaphor there

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Milky Moor posted:

i'm happy as anyone else to rip on bad writing but it's pretty funny to watch dudes rip extra hard on someone (probably because she's a woman)

Yeah, it's because she's a woman, not because she wrote a gushing piece about racist piece of poo poo Bill Leak and how feminism is bad, and then removed it.

Yep, just dudes picking on the ladies again.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

SLASHER HAWKE posted:

that one was though wasn't it?

Was it written by Andrew Bolt?

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Wethearowns.

Sadly the Advertiser hasn't backed up yesterdays' front page by spluttering "2.5 billion power charge from Trumble" instead it's all footy and state Libs being slightly ahead in some key seats due to Xenophon's party taking votes.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

hooman posted:

Man who's party privatised Telstra complains about quality of service from Telstra.

That part was good, but this part was better:

“If people want to enter politics then do that, but don’t do it from the office overlooking the harbour on your multimillion dollar fees each year.

“It’s high time these people pulled back from these moralistic stances and we’d be a better society without them.”

Without context this could be seen as a swipe at any number of Libs.

:ironicat: :ironicat: :ironicat:

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

The Before Times posted:

This government likes to harp on about intergenerational theft and this is the hugest projection because they're robbing the young to feed the pensioners as we speak

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Spin, spin, spin!

Does "Exclusive poll" in this case mean one they just made up? Then again, I wouldn't be surprised - waiting at the Doctor's yesterday across from me an old couple were talking about it and posited why couldn't Weatherill just turn Pelican Point into a gas powered station. Preeeeeety sure it's a lot more complicated than that.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

JBP posted:

The poll was taken 2 days before that presser and indicated 39% blame SA and 35 or 36% blame the national energy market. I'm fairly sure that Weatherill knocked that figure into reverse with his appearance alongside Frydenberg.

Ah, fair enough then.

Anidav posted:

Also nuclear power is back on the table, multiple tests.

The nerd boner for nuclear power mystifies me. Chatting to some guys at work about nuclear vs renewables, I raised an article I read ages ago that it would take 20 years for nuclear to be viable in Australia, but renewables are ready now. And they kept saying that nuclear would improve its technology but "there's no guarantee that renewables will get more efficient" and it's like, gently caress, engineers are working on both, what's the difference?

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

That paragraph in between the two highlighted ones... what the gently caress is that

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Bogan King posted:

It's easy to lose sight of the little things when such matters of importance as 18c are being discussed but it should be noted that the NSW Transport Minister thinks apps will replace public transport in the next decade.

Please note that anytime someone says 'big data' they are talking right out of their arse. In fact it is quite possible that anyone who seriously talks about big data to be entirely composed of arse.

"What about poor people who rely on public transport?"

"Who gives a poo poo? BIG DATAAAAAAAAAA!"

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Urcher posted:

I want to know how they plan to safeguard the transport history data of the entire population.

J/k they don't plan do to anything that might interfere with private profits innovation

Of course they'll store it all on IBM Cloud Servers, and if it gets hacked, so what? If you weren't doing anything wrong you have nothing to hide!

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

https://www.facebook.com/JamesMcGrathLNP/posts/1287467034674621

Sounds reasonable until he sounds like a four year old in the last line.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Had to watch Bolt Report last night since I was over at my folks (and I half believe my Dad just watches it when I'm around to wind me up) and in a half hour jerk off session about removing 18C he talked to Henderson about ABC bias and played a 5 second clip of Paul Barry saying "in my opinion, renewable energy is the future".

Paul Barry, in a 5 second clip from his once a week, 15 minute show.

Highlighted by Bolt in his half hour tirade against 18C (nightly) that he was personally convicted under.

ABC BIIIIIIIIIIIIASSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Also out of court settlements are now called "hush money" when they want you to think it's bad. It's all so blatantly transparent.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Bogan King posted:

Truly in touch with the common man.

*holds hundreds of dollars of taxpayer money up to his nose*

"Oh yes, this definitely passes the sniff test"

*rolls it up and snorts coke*

"As does this!"

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

JBP posted:

I like Barnaby in a weird way.

He's like any politician that when he says things you agree with, you nod along and go "makes sense" with a bit of mixed in country no bullshit mixed in. It's just a shame that he very, very rarely says things reasonable people agree with.

CAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARP

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

starkebn posted:

paraphrasing what I heard on ABC Radio 20 minutes ago:

host: the business tax cuts aren't really popular with the broader public though are they? A recent IPSOS poll puts support at about 44%

president of the BCA: well, they're not 50% or more but there is clearly a majority who support the cuts

host: -did not challenge that verbal diarrhea at all-

.~forging a narrative~.

:laffo:

People don't listen to numbers, just keep saying majority and they'll believe you

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Cartoon posted:

Turns out wind farms are the great satan.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-03-28/wind-farm-settings-to-blame-for-sa-blackout-aemo-says/8389920

Well not really but we'll choose to believe it despite any amount of facts. A factoid for long term players - The SA grid is privatised.

Isn't this like asking the fox to evaluate why henhouse security failed?

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

JBP posted:

Mark Latham sure is a piece of poo poo.

What'd he say?

What'd she say?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Paul Barry called it last Thursday on Media Bites :smug:

• Locked thread