Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005

Solemn Sloth posted:

2) A tax on dwellings that sit unoccupied for more than 6 months of the year, valued at 1% of the capital improved value per year
This is good, there's a chunk of housing stock tied up by people just waiting to realise a capital gain which serves no use to anyone other than the speculator parasites that own them.

It's a pity the plan is not as straightforward as that, it won't have the impact a proper land tax would:

quote:

There will be exemptions if it is a holiday house, a deceased estate or if the owner is overseas.

"This will send a really strong message to people that if you are effectively banking an empty property and denying that to the market and contributing to the lack of supply, then there's something you can do about it," Premier Daniel Andrews said.
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-03-05/stamp-duty-changes-to-make-house-cheaper-in-victoria/8325970:

Reminds me of the discussion around property taxes in Italy (or could possibly be Greece) where if the building is under construction they don't have to pay tax, so they just leave a room incomplete in many homes so they can dodge. I feel like we're going to have the same avoidance strategy where foreign investment isn't touched and local investors just line up to declare their holiday homes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
Faces of PHON voters on ABC24 this morning and the haggard toothless stereotypes are out in force

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005

Bifauxnen posted:

There is that one great Chicken Parmigiana cartoon about him though. Can someone repost it? I don't want to go looking it up while I'm at work

http://hilarity.chickennation.com/index.php?start=27

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
loving hell. I have hardly any super as it is.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005

You Am I posted:

loving hell this government does the complete opposite to what experts tell them to do, don't they?

I have a bit of super, but sure as poo poo not going to use any of it to buy a house, it's so stupid that it beggars belief. I can't believe Turnbull (since Morrison has been pretty well demoted from being Treasurer) is thinking of going ahead with this

To clarify I wouldn't either, but I think I've had pretty average earnings and time worked for a mid 30s woman and I have less than $50k in super. I would need to pull it all for a house deposit at current medians, and that would leave me retiring with maybe $100k? I don't even know how much you're meant to have but it doesn't seem like that's how much you're theoretically supposed to have. So it's just setting up another Boomer-esque pension crisis or starvation as above

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005

Lid posted:

Entirely unrelated

Alright but it is still the wisest place to put all my stuff and my fragile mortal body so hopefully that message of better investment spreads

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
Better get a lawyer son. And a copy of the xray

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
Being forced to live with your parents probably isn't the common interpretation of 'high-incone household' (pub test would assume domestic partnership) but I bet it's more than 2/3s of the households they're referring to.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
You can't tell me what to do da-gurgle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
Greedy fucks laughing their arses off while taking savings out of the hides of people who can't afford to buy the goods

• Locked thread