Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
I still can't see Dutton getting up. I know it's what elements in the right wing media would probably prefer, and it's getting plenty of media speculation because of that and also because it's somewhat sensational - but I just don't think Dutton could win a spill against Turnbull. I don't see the people who have to work with that dumbshit disaster of a minister giving him the support over the guy who, while indecisive and disappointing, at least knows when to back away from a poo poo idea.

You just know Dutton's going to continue to work like a thuggish QLD cop and double down on everything in the same way Abbott did, which is ultimately what cost him the leadership in the first place. Scomo is a snake, and every bit as much a racist bastard, but at least he's capable of some degree of diplomacy and subtlety. gently caress, even poodle Pine could probably run the party better than the potato man. And if there's one thing you can count on the Liberal party for, it's abandoning any promises, any idealism, any "good sense" and especially any evidence-based policy as long as it gets them back in. Dutton won't be able to return the Libs to power, and the bulk of the party room have to know that.

Also, I really don't get the popular notion that Bishop has excluded herself from the running due to "disloyalty". I don't see how she's any less loyal than any of the rest, and given Abbotts rapidly declining credibility, that shouldn't matter. She's widely considered the most effective minister, she's never really been involved in anything scandalous and she never says stupid poo poo. So yeah it's gonna be a gender thing. Which is good, because she could probably take Shorten apart if she were able to control the party room.

Of course Brexit and Trump have proven that nothing is too ridiculous in TYOOL 2016/17.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
It always baffles me the way parties who campaign in WA often try to force the narrative away from the actions of their Federal counterparts. Some examples include:

- 2013 Labor Campaign asking Gillard to keep away, using "WA Labor" in all major comms.
- 2017 Liberal campaign asking Turnbull to keep away
- 2017 One Nation campaign trying to pretend federal issues aren't relevant to the state election campaign

2013 proved pretty handily that it doesn't matter - Western Australians DO consider the actions of the Federal parties when voting at the state level. Barnett should have been handily defeated, yet he actually managed a swing toward the Liberal party due to the massive ongoing media campaign against the Federal Labor Govt in preparation for the impending election towards the end of that year.

Ignoring issues at a federal level will definitely lose her the "frustrated with the majors" vote, because it paints her as yet another political actor, rather than someone willing to consider and deal with their problems.

So, good I guess.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN posted:

Jesus, cash is considered a moderate!?

Yeah. She just wants to gently caress the poor over. To be Liberal right these days, you have get behind the banning of women from voting and/or leaving their houses without male permission, and the grinding of people of colour into a rich nutrient paste for use as chicken feed.

Keep up!

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

How good's it going to be when he moves most of the dept. of Agriculture into his own electorate and they respond by voting him out next election.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Nothing in the media yet that I can see, but the Australian Unions facebook page just streamed a presser claiming they've had "bombshell" legal advice that the FWC's ruling on penalty rates could have impacts on nursing, teaching and aged and disability carers.

Not sure how accurate/verifiable this is at this stage, but if the media picks it up in time it could have a substantial effect on the results tomorrow.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Ora Tzo posted:

But the Libs still are likely to hold the WA upper house right?

We're all hoping for a Legislative Council with a makeup that's stacked with even more clownshoes single interest twits than the federal one.

It's the way bicameral parliaments are meant to be apparently

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Murdoch first. I would not put it past him to have little to no succession plan, given his propensity for actively loving future generations to the benefit of other boomers.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Is the ALP going to do some last minute surprise like the Medicare text message? That would be cool.

I actually thought that's what the Unions Australia"bombshell" thing about penalty rates this morning was going to be, but I haven't seen it pop up anywhere else yet.

e. It's on the guardian though https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2017/mar/10/penalty-rate-cuts-precedent-other-industries-union-advice-says

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Drink a beer for each seat the Tories lose?

Suicide pacts are cool and good.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Your Federal Minister for Justice Michael Keenan:

”One Nation are the same as any other party"

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
I for one am delighted that we're now 40 minutes in, and they haven't wheeled out Chris Uhlmann.

Maybe the pump broke.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Holy gently caress Peter Abetz is out of a seat.

Well. Turns out it CAN get harder.

Who knew.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
I remember back when this thread was less partisan.

gently caress that.

I'm sipping cheap scotch and smirking like I imagine someone who could survive a missed paycheck without losing his house does.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Didn't it used to have one or two token tories..

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
My favourite part about Keenan's feats of mental gymnastics and refusal to admit that they have been slaughtered were horribly out of step with the population is the fact that so many of the north of the river seats that flipped today make up parts of his federal seat.

Based on these results, he'll be fighting to retain his seat at the next poll.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
PHON unlikely to win any upper house seats based on figures so far.

heh. hehehe,

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
The Aus media really wanted us to have our own mini Trumpocalypse, didn't they.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
He looks like he's doing his victory speech in a loving bingo hall though. At least put a corflute behind him or something...

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Oh gently caress he's in Rockingham. Probably is a bingo hall then! :v

Did anyone else watching the speech hear boos from the crowd when he thanked the Union movement??

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
When Mal Brough's rentboy is the best talent you can muster, it's probably wise to manage your expectations.

:smug:

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

NPR Journalizard posted:

Does anyone know how many votes needed for a full quota in the LC?

Apparently not (I've been asking around too)

Who's the blonde woman in the brown thing on ABC and why is she shilling so hard for the liberal party?

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Recoome posted:

I guess people in WA are also too dumb to vote for multiple houses in one election

I'd take the Legislative Council predictions with a pinch of salt. We still have GTV and all that convoluted poo poo so we won't have a real picture of the layout for a few days.

Either way Labor are going to have a free ride for 4 years. The only question is whether they need Green votes in the upper house. Which would be best case scenario.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
I'm looking forward to the Liberal right's response to this. Turns out all of the media comparisons between PHON and Trump/Brexit were a load of poo poo, and maybe lurching to the right isn't the saving throw they thought it was.

I'm not sure this is going to empower Dutton a great deal, although it may still damage Turnbull if he tries to drop Budget 2014 Version 2.0 in May.

I'm pretty sure they're still turbofucked, and being a byelection away from losing their lower house majority, it's gonna be a fun year.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Konomex posted:

McGowan is the member for Rockingham, he sits in the Labor heartland of WA. Every seat around his is red.

We don't have money for fancy corflutes. Also, I'm pretty sure that's our town hall. You big city snob.

Yeah I live in Wellard :P

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Schlesische posted:

I'd love to see Labor go to the Nats and say "we won't touch Royalties for Regions if you guys vote with us in the upper house".

They won't. They also won't stop Roe 8 or hike up royalties on mining companies. I don't think they'll sell Western Power though, if they do they're going to get destroyed on a scale that makes this election win look like a line call.

You just watched what happens to a party who breaks every core promise they took to the last election here. With the ALP likely beholden to those 3 Greens upper house votes to pass legislation, I highly doubt they're going to backflip on that one and all but guarantee a hostile LC next term, if not a total loss.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Bogan King posted:

:allears:

------------------

Ohh, you must be from NSW, AKA The Worst State.

Sorry buddy.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
It'd be interesting to see a modern, progressive Labor govt working with the Nats and Greens to deliver consensus-based policies that account for the needs of both urban and regional citizens.

2017 sure is weird.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
The West really isn't much better than the Australian. They're a little less overtly racist but their owner is still the single biggest Liberal donor in the country, and it sure does show.

Oh and they're the only major paper in town anymore, since Murdoch sold them the Sunday Times last year.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Mr Chips posted:

They both seem to be wildly out of touch with the bulk of the populace and run their own weird little campaigns (eg 18C for the Australian, shark culling for the West Australian)

I feel like they don't even operate under the pretense of being there as a relevant, impartial news source anymore - They exist to confirm conservative biases and they seem pretty happy with that.

Which would be fine if there were print alternatives like there are in other cities but welp

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Just give us this week you sour fucks :P

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Comstar posted:

The ACCC said LNG gas developers fell into a trap of assuming $100+ oil prices would continue, rather than planning an assumption of the long-run average of prices around $55.

Rentseekers.txt. This is the same bullshit speculative ignorance that both federal and WA liberals pulled with the iron ore boom, before driving the country into a ditch. It's almost like government handjobs supporting poor business practices with minimal accountability is a poo poo model or something.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Adults in charge!

:banjo:

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
I am 95% certain that the broader public would not accept a nuclear power solution, particularly post-Fukushima. What we would see if the coalition adopted a nuclear energy policy would be a larger scale version of Roe 8 in WA, or the East-West link in Vic:

- Govt scrambles to get poo poo moving despite popular opposition
- Incompetence and strong legal and political challenges hold the project up
- Labor has a an easy choice between opposing the project, or losing whats left of their chunk of the progressive vote to the Greens
- Govt moves into an election year, signs contracts anyway, tries to lock poo poo in and "fast tracks EPA approvals etc", creating further negative publicity for the project
- Election happens, govt is loving eviscerated, incoming Labor govt tears up contracts and moves to cheaper renewables.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
It's fine everybody.

The further they disappear up their own asses, trying to fight a culture war they lost last decade, the more hilarious it's going to be when they inevitably get slaughtered at the next poll.

By a bag of flour no less.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Hold the phone

ABC currently has Diane Evers picking up the 6th South West seat, bringing it to 15 ALP, 3 GRN, 18 ASSHL

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Starshark posted:

:sigh: Again with Kenny and the dog-loving. Why doesn't anyone talk about all the dogs he DIDN'T gently caress?

Yeah. Let us know when you find one.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Based on the miniscule margin with which Potatoman holds his own electorate, the difference between Turnbull and Dutton's leadership heading into the next election is going to be 'comprehensive defeat’ vs ’historically significant wipe out’. Any seat with a margin of less than 10% is toast. The resulting 3+ term Labor govt may even fix our revenue problem, internet, media monopoly and education funding issues.

So yeah bring it on is what I'm saying.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

I... what?

Based on how poorly most of the pollsters (in particular, Newspoll) forecast the most recent election (WA), do you think perhaps this totally unreasonable bounce in Liberal popularity may be a little uh...

Horseshit?

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Just imagine if the opposition leader wasn't a sack of White Wings low-sugar cake mix,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

NTRabbit posted:

They've got maybe a month to get Brandis out of the country before the Bell Group case returns and Brandis gets properly hosed for being an immensely stupid, and incompetent lawyer.

All the WA Liberals were gonna be hosed too, but their lawyers successfully argued for an adjournment until after the election they knew they were going to lose. Friend of mine on the case was pretty bitter about that.

Please tell me they're still exposed as gently caress and Colin might go to jail HNNGGG

• Locked thread