Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Here I made this to help some of you understand the PHON > ALP > LNP preference flow:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

I thought you needed a heartbeat to suffer a stroke.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Zenithe posted:

That diagram is great but implies lnp are unionists.

I don't understand how but I suspect that may be the problem.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-03-22/peter-reith-hospitalised-after-serious-medical-emergency/8376596

My favourite part about this article is the last line:

abc posted:

More to come.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Well there was that ChAFTA campaign they did a few years back..

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Keep your pants on Auspol. The CFMEU as an institution are cool and good.

Are all of their members are ideologically pure? Sweet Jesus No... but I respect the institution and what it has and continues to do for us.

But for the purpose of a venn diagram that aims to explain how someone's going to preference the ALP above LNP but after PHON... Okay maybe for the sake of accuracy, that segment should have said "Racist Tradies".

edit: "From QLD" is redundant.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

hiddenmovement posted:

Supercheap auto are fine. Their bread and butter is either physically large items (e.g batteries, 5 liters of oil), or stuff that you need today when you have the free time to replace that part.

Having someone assure you that the sw4636784-nb is definitively only for the commodore made before July 2012 doesn't hurt either

Yeah I was scratching my head at this one too. I buy a tonne of stuff online, but the poo poo I buy from SCA is typically heavy or bulky, and given Australia's god awful postage, it's way more convenient to just jet up the road to the local than wait a up to a week for something to make it 12km from the local warehouse, or 2+ weeks from the Eastern States, even for small stuff. Cheap car poo poo has been available from Ebay forever, and SCA don't seem to be failing en masse, so this smells a bit of scare campaign to me

Even Harvey Norman - JB/Ebay/AliExpress/DX etc have been undercutting them for small box stuff like small electronics for years, and I don't think Amazon coming in is going to devastate them overnight.

Add to that the fact that pretty much every US based online retailer (take Steam for example) marks up Aus sales just because, and it might not be the end for local retail yet.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Well, the Libs "sticking their company tax right up their own arsehole" would probably mark the first occasion that they've actually taken expert advice.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

bigis posted:

Lol this government has accomplished nothing except the ABCC which nobody gives a poo poo about.

Yeah about that...

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/act...322-gv3oq5.html

quote:

The federal government's building watchdog cut a deal to keep a disgraced former union official out of jail in return for testifying against his former colleagues, the Federal Court has found.

Seven of Canberra's top CFMEU officials could have been hit with fines of more than $1 million over the allegations of breaking industrial laws in a case which relied heavily on the word of convicted blackmailer Halafihi Kimonu Kivalu.

But the Australian Building and Construction Commission's case against seven members of the union's ACT branch has failed with the evidence of Mr Kivalu deemed, by Federal Court Judge Geoffrey Flick, too unreliable.

Hey that name seems familiar,

quote:

Nearly two years since the Royal Commission into union corruption hearings came to Canberra in a blaze of publicity, there has only been one conviction as a result of allegations aired in the proceedings; that of Mr Kivalu who was given a suspended jail sentence in June 2016 after pleading guilty to blackmail charges.

GG Malcolm. G fuckin G.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Med student? Forensic Scientist? Mortician?

Plenty of people who have business looking at corpses, even icky ones.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
How are the bogans going to know who to trust, with Lambie and Hanson at loggerheads?!

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

hooman posted:

It'll be determined by latitude.

QLD loses again.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
We'll take them to 459 Bar during a grind show and they can talk to our friendly neighbourhood anarchists about loving right off,

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

JBP posted:

Who cares.

Me. I care.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Yeah it's kinda a huge deal for WA, formerly known as The Scrunt State.

Edit: our resident electoral megasperg says it's a long call, and to wait 20 mins, when the AEC are actually pushing the button.

As to why it's a big deal to me, Lynn McLaren has been SUPER supportive of the NTEU aka best union, and is an all round top sort.

Don Dongington fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Mar 24, 2017

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

open24hours posted:

I wonder where they're getting the info from, I tried to look it up and I can't find any statistics in the normal places that break down household income by personal income.

I wouldn't be surprised if it's a typical Tory "Feelpinion", with no actual basis in fact or figures.

If the statement had any factual basis, they would surely have cited the relevant report or used the actual figures, rather than using vague language like "Many high income households".

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
I can only assume the shitshow that was the 3 day "debate" on the subject of 18C was ironically enough to convince her that "Hrm yeah gently caress we need this." See also:

https://www.buzzfeed.com/markdistefano/18-c-town?bffbozpol&utm_term=.eeaxQ6g7o#.es6802XzW

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Elissimpark posted:

Unlike some of the other crossbench senators, Lambie actually has compassion for other people and usually seems open to changing her stance on policy. She's been slowly sliding leftwards since PUP - recent sharia law business notwithstanding.

Reading the policies on her website is frustrating, though - so close Jacqui, but not... quite... there!

(maybe a slight bias here - she's one of my senators and her office is down my street a bit)

No I think that's generally it. She's concerned about Sharia law because to the simple and uneducated and with the way that opponents of Islamic immigration frame it, it's concerning. Those of us with a basic understanding of How Australia's Legal System Works and who bother to look a little deeper at an issue than the front page of whatever rag Murdoch vomits onto the Tasmanian landscape once a week know better, but that's clearly not how she rolls.

Beyond that, she's mostly working on a platform that shows concern for issues that affect normal people - much like left wing representatives try to do. Lo and behold, most of those issues affect the "latte sipping" segments of the population the same way they affect suburban mums and dads (Who knew!), so despite her cognitive biases she's going to find she has far more in common with the Greens than One Nation.

She can't SAY that though, because aforementioned news outlets would tear her apart and call her a fascist.

• Locked thread