Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Urcher
Jun 16, 2006

Solemn Sloth posted:

So the Andrews government has announced three new policies targeting housing affordability:

Removal of stamp duty (for some people) and addition of a land tax (for some properties) is a step in the right direction.

Hopefully they eventually go all in on land tax replacing stamp duty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Urcher
Jun 16, 2006

Bogan King posted:

It's been the biggest topic, people ask me about preferences and they don't understand the voting system, the preference system, the preferences. I'd like it to be introduced into the educational system.

Looks like today is the day I agree with a One Nation policy.

Urcher
Jun 16, 2006

gay picnic defence posted:

same

is there a specific name for this phenomenon of people rejecting facts and authoritative sources of information in favour of whatever bullshit coincides with their worldview? I wouldn't mind doing some reading on it

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Selective_exposure_theory

Urcher
Jun 16, 2006

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Duelling was actually an example in my law degree of a strict liablity offence.

So you can be convicted of dueling even if you didn't know you were dueling? Sounds odd to me. How often do people get into unwitting duels?

Urcher
Jun 16, 2006

JBP posted:

Ignorance of the law is no defence.

Strict liability is about ignorance of what you were doing, ignorance of the law is different.

Urcher
Jun 16, 2006

Cartoon posted:

Humour? :monocle: Not on MY AusPol :toughguy:

It's OK. They didn't know what they were doing.

Urcher
Jun 16, 2006

MysticalMachineGun posted:

"What about poor people who rely on public transport?"

"Who gives a poo poo? BIG DATAAAAAAAAAA!"

I want to know how they plan to safeguard the transport history data of the entire population.

J/k they don't plan do to anything that might interfere with private profits innovation

Urcher
Jun 16, 2006

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Of course they'll store it all on IBM Cloud Servers, and if it gets hacked, so what? If you weren't doing anything wrong you have nothing to hide!

I'm only sightly concerned about "hackers". The bigger problem is the companies with the data using it for shady purposes like Uber's god view and walks of glory, selling the data to affiliates, and not requiring due process before giving data to law enforcement.

Urcher
Jun 16, 2006

JBP posted:

What is Uber's God view? I only take transport to my house from getting drunk/high so I don't understand the wider implications and bows that can be drawn.

e: Outside of them watching you go to Marxism 2017

https://www.forbes.com/sites/kashmirhill/2014/10/03/god-view-uber-allegedly-stalked-users-for-party-goers-viewing-pleasure/#38d1575c3141

Uber employees can get the real time location of everyone using uber (possibly just with the app installed, not necessarily currently in an Uber vehicle). Sometimes they do it to see why people are running late for a meeting. Sometimes they do it at parties to show off.

Urcher
Jun 16, 2006

JBP posted:

What did Uber do to them once they tracked them?

Gave their location out to all the party goers.

Uber employees also use it to stalk their exes. http://www.news.com.au/finance/busi...dbe2a90cfe56c66

Urcher
Jun 16, 2006

hooman posted:

Found on facebook, on the abhorrent australian memes page.

Is that the abhorrent "australian memes page" or the "abhorrent australian memes page".

I'm asking for a friend.

Urcher
Jun 16, 2006

freebooter posted:

Can anybody recommend a good accountant in Melbourne? Last full financial year I was working in Australia I went to H&R Block and gave them $200 to spend ten minutes on etax and inform me that I owed the government $250, I mean, I could have done that.

Do you actually need one? The online tax filing thing in MyGov is pretty easy to use and prefills most of the data for you.

Unless your finances involve a mix of foreign income and capital gains the main advantage of an accountant is them pointing out deductions you didn't know about, and you can get most of that benefit by browsing https://www.ato.gov.au/Individuals/Income-and-deductions/Deductions-you-can-claim/

Urcher
Jun 16, 2006

Word cloud for February, just in time:

2017: JF

2016: JFMAMJJASOND

2015: JFMAMJJASOND

2014: JFMAMJJASOND

2013: AMJJASOND

Highlights from last month's thread:

You Am I posted:

He's one of her moron candidates does something disgraceful: "Oh that's our Pauline/One Nation! What laughs! Here's Pauline again with an awful sound bite. Remember Pauline is the only alternative to Labor and Liberals"

The Greens: Either deathly silence or OMG RABIT LEFTIES WANT US TO EAT MUNG BEANS AND poo poo IN A HOLE while totally misunderstanding most of the faceless men during the Rudd/Gillard/Rudd days.

Cartoon posted:

At best you are balancing/redistributing/rationalising. It strains the English language beyond what it can take to suggest that reducing a penalty rate is giving anybody anything. Also your example (although obviously deliberately simple) in no way reflects the actual opinions of the current business environment in Australia.

When is terror not terror? Ask an expert:

"Proven to be?" The Lindt inquest is yet to report and I'm cautiously confident there will be largely painless. Also lol at all these homeless people trying to fulfil its RET but is anyone really that loving stupid?

Also I think not!

Also you day traders who were looking for investment advice who bought gold on my say so? Sell it now for a big splash (Hence 'The Human Headline'). Especially ironic is his Deputy Chief of Staff - Communications - source ) is clown tier. This makes it even more suspicious that Shorten was given the high profile soft serve on Ten's panel with Joe Hildebrand, Jono and the actual opinions of the highest reported rape rates in the room I guess ).

JBP posted:

Oh. I'm an only child and my parents to die is a more effective use of my dad's yearly income and he was senior at the same time sold tax cuts for business, no wage growth, the LNP are bad. Bad and sad, three words. I'll help the poor people, kiss the babies, gently caress the lonely housewives. I'll fix it all."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Urcher
Jun 16, 2006

http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2017-04-01/abbott-announces-leadership-challenge/8404860

• Locked thread