Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender
lol if you think a guy with this neck can be successful at anything other than eating leaves off the branches of tall trees

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Joey Freshwater posted:

I like how you guys are calling Glennon a journeyman QB when he's only ever been on one team. He also hasn't been completely awful, but he hasn't blown the doors off either. McCown started over him because he was coming off of that mystical season in Chicago where he was somehow good and Lovie brought him in.

I'm not saying that I believe that he's worth what's being reported, but I also don't think he's as bad as you guys are making him out to be.

He's a backup. Not a backup to a HOF like Brady, Manning, or Rodgers where there's a case to be made that maybe they have upside, they're just never going to beat out the HOF while they're still playing (or in the case of Manning, somewhat playing). A backup that the Bucs looked at, gave some playing time to because they hated their old QB, and as a result thought "nah" and started a journeyman QB, then when he sucked drafted a new QB. "Journeyman" is being generous for the talent he's displayed.

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

Joey Freshwater posted:

I like how you guys are calling Glennon a journeyman QB when he's only ever been on one team. He also hasn't been completely awful, but he hasn't blown the doors off either. McCown started over him because he was coming off of that mystical season in Chicago where he was somehow good and Lovie brought him in.

I'm not saying that I believe that he's worth what's being reported, but I also don't think he's as bad as you guys are making him out to be.
Are you his agent? Glennon is terrible.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Excuse me I think you'll find that Glennon completed 90% of his passes last year and threw a TD nearly once every 10 attempts!

To be fair to him if you were so inclined you could imagine things to hope for after his rookie year. He got screwed over by the regime change and Lovie wanting no part of him, then after that year it just happened that there was a legit #1 prospect at QB when they had the top pick. So yeah he's not sitting behind a hall of famer, but he's sitting behind the current front office's guy who has looked pretty good and given them no reason to give Glennon another chance.

Having said that I wouldn't want any part of him if my team needed a quarterback (or if my team needed a quarterback more than it already does).

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
He's showed enough upside that I'd take him as a guy who could compete over some 33 year old retread. Not at 14mil AAV tho you must be high

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

the aristocrats!

quote:

Appearing on 106.7 The Fan in D.C., the Washington Post's Mike Jones referred to NFL Network's "report" of a three-way trade involving Kirk Cousins, Tony Romo, and the 49ers as "fake."

Jones seems to believe Redskins president Bruce Allen used NFL Network's Ian Rapoport as a mouthpiece to spread the rumor as a misinformation tactic with the Redskins embroiled in front-office drama. Ultimately, the Redskins decided giving Jay Gruden a two-year extension would be better P.R. "Bruce was like, alright we gotta do something because my fake Ian Rapoport Redskins three-way trade thing didn't work to change the story." Jones suggested the Redskins are now seen as so dysfunctional NFL agents are wary of their players signing with Washington because they're unaware of who's in charge. GM Scot McCloughan did not attend the Combine and is expected to be let go after April's draft.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender
hahaha that is loving amazing

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Man imagine thinking your GM has some serious issues and not taking care of that BEFORE FREE AGENCY AND THE DRAFT THE MOST IMPORTANT MONTH OF A GM'S YEAR.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
Scot Mccloughan's face looks like a giant angry red pimple ready to burst

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

UUA CVG 230000 KZID /RM TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE BENGALS DYNASTY
he's loving expected to be let go after the draft?

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

a patagonian cavy posted:

he's loving expected to be let go after the draft?

In a bold move the Redskins have drafted a kicker in every round.

*Gm flips bird and walks out*

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

LiquidFriend posted:

Are you his agent? Glennon is terrible.

lol he's not terrible. He hasn't been good to great, definitely mediocre but he's played on some god-awful teams. You idiots are acting like he threw pics every time he took a snap. He's got a positive TD/INT ratio and a not bad QB rating.

Volkerball posted:

He's showed enough upside that I'd take him as a guy who could compete over some 33 year old retread. Not at 14mil AAV tho you must be high

Pretty much this but I guess my disagreeing with him being awful obviously means I think he's on par with HOF Qbs.

Grittybeard posted:

To be fair to him if you were so inclined you could imagine things to hope for after his rookie year. He got screwed over by the regime change and Lovie wanting no part of him, then after that year it just happened that there was a legit #1 prospect at QB when they had the top pick. So yeah he's not sitting behind a hall of famer, but he's sitting behind the current front office's guy who has looked pretty good and given them no reason to give Glennon another chance.

Also this

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

FizFashizzle posted:

the aristocrats!

They really want to overtake the Browns for sheer stupidity, don't they?

:master:

Joey Freshwater posted:

lol he's not terrible. He hasn't been good to great, definitely mediocre but he's played on some god-awful teams. You idiots are acting like he threw pics every time he took a snap. He's got a positive TD/INT ratio and a not bad QB rating.

Pretty much this but I guess my disagreeing with him being awful obviously means I think he's on par with HOF Qbs.

Also this

I think the problem with sticking up for Glennon is that he looks like a genetic mistake from some hillbilly-themed slasher movie.

I agree that his actual play is merely mediocre rather than incredibad.

sean10mm fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Mar 6, 2017

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Joey Freshwater posted:

careful, man. The hivemind has spoken.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Chichevache posted:

Jesus Christ everyone was bagging on the Bucs for benching him when they did and now he's Christian Ponder 2.0

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

SHOAH NUFF posted:

Scot Mccloughan's face looks like a giant angry red pimple ready to burst
I dont have it bookmarked or anything but someone posted a before/after picture of him before the alcoholism hit him hard and after he got out of rehab the first time. The difference was stark.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Jesus Christ everyone was bagging on the Bucs for benching him when they did and now he's Christian Ponder 2.0

I wouldn't give him 15 a year, but I'd definitely like my franchise-- if we didn't have a qb-- to give him a shot instead of reaching in this year's weak crop. :shrug: He can't be worse than Osweiler. Give him a Matt Flynn contract.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

In a bold move the Redskins have drafted a kicker in every round.

*Gm flips bird and walks out*

my coworkers and i agree that the best thing for the bears to do is draft the two best kickers in the 3rd/4th rounds and let them battle it out. it's not like they're going to have any offense anyways,

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

This isn't the way I remember it, they were bagging on the Bucs specifically for benching him for a McCown rather than actually believing he had any sort of future.

So, uh, yeah I'd rather have him than either McCown brother if that's the bar you're setting.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Chichevache posted:

Hey I don't think Glennon is terrible, just that you were wrong about what a journeyman QB costs

but also Glennon isn't good enough to be a franchise QB so if you are hiring him to lead your team you are basically admitting that this season is a wash

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

TheChirurgeon posted:

Hey I don't think Glennon is terrible, just that you were wrong about what a journeyman QB costs

but also Glennon isn't good enough to be a franchise QB so if you are hiring him to lead your team you are basically admitting that this season is a wash

You are right, I was wrong. Other posters seem to think Glennon is a completely known quantity, which I do disagree with. Yeah, he probably sucks, but so does everyone except ~20 guys. I still think he's worth trying if you don't have a franchise guy yet.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Kalli posted:

Man imagine thinking your GM has some serious issues and not taking care of that BEFORE FREE AGENCY AND THE DRAFT THE MOST IMPORTANT MONTH OF A GM'S YEAR.

The Texans did that after firing Capers and had their best draft in franchise history :shrug:

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Chichevache posted:

You are right, I was wrong. Other posters seem to think Glennon is a completely known quantity, which I do disagree with. Yeah, he probably sucks, but so does everyone except ~20 guys. I still think he's worth trying if you don't have a franchise guy yet.

Yeah that's fair enough. I suspect his benching wasn't some palpably unfair act and more due to his ability to not play his way back into a starting role, but I see where you are coming from. He may be worth trying, but your plan should be that he won't, with the potential to be pleasantly surprised if he does.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

Chichevache posted:

I wouldn't give him 15 a year, but I'd definitely like my franchise-- if we didn't have a qb-- to give him a shot instead of reaching in this year's weak crop. :shrug: He can't be worse than Osweiler. Give him a Matt Flynn contract.

If 2 teams offer him Flynn contracts then one team will have to up their offer to an Osweiler contract.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

DariusLikewise posted:

If 2 teams offer him Flynn contracts then one team will have to up their offer to an Osweiler contract.

I feel like there might be some middle ground between 8 million guaranteed and 37 million guaranteed.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
I just realized Sam Bradford threw for almost 4,000 yards and had a 20:5 TD to INT ratio last year.

That's really not bad at all

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

89 posted:

I just realized Sam Bradford threw for almost 4,000 yards and had a 20:5 TD to INT ratio last year.

That's really not bad at all

Bradford wasn't the Vikings issue, it was the offense literally falling apart around him.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
https://twitter.com/IanKenyonNFL/status/838829201885102081

https://twitter.com/IanKenyonNFL/status/838829422731997184

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I dont have it bookmarked or anything but someone posted a before/after picture of him before the alcoholism hit him hard and after he got out of rehab the first time. The difference was stark.

I used to look about ten years younger than my age until I spent several years in a swimming pool of vodka. Now I'm 32, sober seven years and I look like I'm pushing 40. Turns out that being toasted and dehydrated every day does terrible things to your skin, who knew?

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

big money big clit posted:

Bradford wasn't the Vikings issue, it was the offense literally falling apart around him.

I wish I could time travel to 2012-2014 and share this with the forums.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Chichevache posted:

I don't think he's a completely known quantity, but I also think we've seen enough that these contract numbers and Buccaneers interest in re-signing him sounds like the Rams talking up Casey Keenum at the end of 2015.

big money big clit posted:

Yeah, the Vikings problem is their offensive line is terrible and also super injured.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
winz

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

FizFashizzle posted:

the aristocrats!

Sign Tebow you fuckheads.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Kalli posted:

I don't think he's a completely known quantity, but I also think we've seen enough that these contract numbers and Buccaneers interest in re-signing him sounds like the Rams talking up Casey Keenum at the end of 2015.

Yeah that talk came out of nowhere and the most hilarious/baffling bit to me was Kubiak coming out of nowhere talking up a guy he literally refused to start over a pick-6-throwing machine

quote:

Yeah, the Vikings problem is their offensive line is terrible and also super injured.

It takes a lot to make the Cowboys' defensive line look good, but they certainly obliged

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

Cash Monet posted:

Sign Tebow you fuckheads.

Browns should trade Joe Thomas for him and some farm teamers. gently caress yeah moneyball!

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

FizFashizzle posted:

the aristocrats!

gently caress this stupid team.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

TheChirurgeon posted:

It takes a lot to make the Cowboys' defensive line look good, but they certainly obliged

That was a pretty good game. I enjoyed it.

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

Joey Freshwater posted:

Also this
Ah, you're not going to sucker me into an Alex Smith type of argument here.

Glennon hit the bench because he couldn't handle being pressured and his confidence was easily shaken up which led to some real uneven performances. The upside with Glennon wasn't enough to really feel interested in being patient.

He's a good #2 guy that can dink and dunk around with a scaled down playbook and take a shot or two down the field when your team gets behind, but you're going to be wondering when your younger QB with a higher ceiling is gonna be ready.

He's Hoyer at an inflated price.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
https://twitter.com/TMZ/status/838789666123833344?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

a patagonian cavy posted:

lemme whisper in your ear brock osweiler got $37 million guaranteed

Yeah and as has been repeatedly stated, it was a once in a generation contract for a relatively unknown commodity at quarterback that blew up in the Texans face.

Teams tend to do things the same way they always do them and most organizations are risk averse because of fear of tying their job to one dumb mistake that can cost you your job. I wonder if Smith feels as comfortable making that Brock deal if he isn't so tight with the owner.

All I am saying is that number is clearly being leaked by Glennon's camp, just like the numbers on his career being tweeted by Ian Kenyon are being pushed by the teams trying to sign him.

It's negotiations through the media and focusing on an outlier as opposed to normal signing trends is silly, even if it is more fun to overreact to it.

I could absolutely see the Bears signing him for $15mil a year, but they won't tie themselves to more than one year of him. That is the one thing about Pace contracts his first two years as GM -- he pushes most of the guaranteed money up front so they are not tied down.

• Locked thread