Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I can't decide if that's my favorite rivals probation or the time MV probated someone (might have been Intruder actually) for talking about Demarcus Faggins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

SKULL.GIF posted:

Andrew Luck is closer to Jay Cutler than Aaron Rodgers and it will take the Colts a very long time to figure this out because Luck is above the Dalton line

Even if this is true he's still well above the Jay Cutler line, and is the type of quarterback you simply can't give up on since there just aren't enough quarterbacks in the world. There's basically nothing for them to figure out except making the rest of their team better unless they completely bomb (which, unsurprisingly would probably take Luck pissing blood for another year) and luck into a draft with a good QB prospect.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Amy Pole Her posted:

Curious when we trade Landry.

He's been demanding 14 million per season so uh yeah. That's a lot.

That seems...somewhat reasonable for an opening position for Landry given Antonio Brown's contract?

He's not AB good of course, but he's pretty good and that contract ups what guys who deserve to be locked up are going to ask for.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
There's some possibly questionable science behind the one helmet all year thing being safer. As I recall it's not well researched or anything, but I feel like we should throw the NFL a bone on the rare occasions where their heart is in the right place.

Although we should not allow the Jags to get away with those terrible helmets they're forced to put on every game of course.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

whypick1 posted:

Looks like a backup QB spot just opened up...

*remembers Frank Clark is still on the team*

...or not.

Doesn't seem like all that big of a deal in an NFL punishment sense because he wasn't driving. I guess if the weed was physically on him and not just in the car that might make things worse?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

a neat cape posted:

What would make Miami of all teams opposed?

Stephen Ross spent his own money renovating the Dolphins' stadium didn't he? Might be a philosophical thing?

If that's correct I think he only did that after asking for and not getting public money, so maybe he's just bitter.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

a neat cape posted:

Most Raiders fans I know are about how I am with the Chargers. Really wanted them to stay, annoyed they're moving, will still be Raiders fans.

There's a little more gently caress Spanos than gently caress Mark Davis talk though

From the outside looking in Mark Davis seems like the closest thing in quite a while to an owner who has a decent reason to move. The Spanos's made enemies of everyone in San Diego and it sounds like they weren't willing to work with the city unless that vote that never had a chance passed. Kroenke was flat out offered a brand new stadium completely funded without having to put anything in himself and he told St Louis to gently caress off (and told them how much they sucked on his way out, which would be funny if he wasn't such a scumbag).

Oakland seemed to just choose the A's over the Raiders, there was never even a passable plan.

e: And O.Co is a legit dump that needs to be replaced, and not just a stadium that's structurally fine but doesn't make enough money.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Mar 27, 2017

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

sean10mm posted:

Brady's career is going to end sometime, if nothing else he'll get injured and at 40+ won't be able to recover worth a poo poo no matter how much illicit Brazilian HGH avocado ice cream he ingests.

He could crap out at any instant, or maybe push it out to 41 or 42 if he's lucky, but I feel like that's the outer limit of what's plausible.

I still believe (against any current eye tests) that Brady is going to go out in the next couple of years and it won't be pretty.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

big money big clit posted:

Bernard Hopkins won a legit light heavyweight belt at 49 years old.

Yeah I'm a sucker for boxing but I honestly believe what BHop was able to do in a sport where most people his age can't speak very well anymore is the most impressive old man sports thing. At least in modern history. He completely transformed himself as a fighter over the years too, if you go back and watch his first match with Roy Jones Jr he was actually the aggressor the entire time.

It's finally over now (even if he does fight again, it's over), but he had one hell of a run.

e: Big George Foreman deserves mention for hanging around forever too, although he did take 10 years off in the middle.

Jagr's super impressive too, especially since so much of his game is physically being stronger than other people. Like he just sticks that big rear end out and keeps guys 20 years younger than him off the puck.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Mar 28, 2017

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

Why do these old uniforms make everyone look like they had diapers on?

Overly large hip and tail pads I'd assume.

Kinda like huge neck rolls being a thing in the 90s, but way less cool looking.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Intruder posted:

I think it's funny people accuse Moorer of taking a dive when if you watch the fight not only does George pretty clearly catch him right before the final KO punch (his hands just drop like a foot), after the KO you can clearly see Moorer's eyes are just glass at that point

I still maintain big George was a better boxer than Ali and it took a perfect storm of circumstance for him to lose that fight

Foreman has a pretty legit argument as one of if not the most devastating punchers in history. If Moorer took a dive (he didn't) he took a dive the hard way by letting himself get lit up.

And yeah, knowing that just makes the Ali fight even more impressive and I agree it was just a mash of everything working out to make history.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Michael Irvin was accused of raping a woman again.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

fsif posted:

Hey guys, Tyrod/Shady/Watkins is the best triplet in the NFL.

Can I get a three-page derail about me me me now?

This works better if you have a recently dominant or at least very good team. I'd advise you to check out the Kawalimus system where you insult everyone's intelligence by claiming everything about your team is the worst ever in a transparent attempt to get attention, although you might have to find an obscure hobby to make people like you.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

ulmont posted:

Not true. Second quarter, 9:54 to go, there's a 4th down play. Then again with 3:37 to go, then in the 3rd with 11:36 to go, with 7:12 to go, with 1:56 to go, and finally again in the 4th with 6:25 to go.

Did you look at the play by play?

A team, not both teams. The team that scored 7 points in that game predictably had plenty of 4th downs.

It made me wonder about the playoff game between the Chiefs and Colts where no one punted, but both teams kicked field goals on 4th down. I'd imagine not ever facing a 4th down is fairly unique.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Mar 30, 2017

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Eli Wiggum posted:

If there is I'm pretty sure it was an extremely high-scoring game

PFR doesn't have play by play back this far but the highest scoring NFL game probably had at least 2 4th downs. One punt return for TD and a field goal at the end of the game.

Oooh, if we open it up to college maybe Georgia Tech over whoever it was 222-0, not because the bad team didn't punt but because they either turned it over or quick kicked every time to get rid of the ball? Someone watch the Jon Bois thing about that game again and tell me.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

a neat cape posted:

Who is LAC

Was there an LAC last year

They're all right, they've just stagnated with a big dumb dude and a little guy throwing him passes...hmm, this joke doesn't really work.

Because the Clippers make the playoffs :v:

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Michael Sam sacked Johnny Manziel in a preseason game, so if nothing else his heart is in the right place.

For the bottom of that list I was under the impression Shane Ray was doing ok. Not amazingly or anything, but a decent NFL pass rusher.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Apr 1, 2017

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

a neat cape posted:

Unfortunately

Is this a comment on the draft class or do you hate Keenan Allen for getting hurt now too?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Volkerball posted:

That would be the raiders. That o line is full of road grading mother fuckers. If you were a DT or MLB facing them and AP you'd be sore on Monday for drat sure.

Peterson doesn't like the shotgun and even before your quarterback's finger made it impossible to take a snap from under center the Raiders ran a lot of that. I don't even know what team is a good fit for what he actually wants anymore. Dallas maybe but they don't need him at all.

Also isn't he reportedly still asking for a lot of money? Like you either chase rings for cheap or go for cash if you're at the point of your career he's at. His whole free agency saga has seemed kind of delusional to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

swickles posted:

Don't the Patriots make a huge deal about refusing to sign people with domestic violence issues in their past?

They maybe did at one point, but Myra Kraft died a while back. Also I don't know if beating your child would have bothered her as much as Christian Peter's crap did.

Frankly it doesn't bother me as much as Christian Peter's crap did.

• Locked thread