Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

BIG HEADLINE posted:

The Soviets started importing grains after a pretty major drought in 1963 made a huge dent in their livestock from panicked slaughtering, but my guess is that this storyline might've been suggested to them by their new advisor. The Soviets were uber-paranoid in the early 80s, because they could begin to see the end coming, and thought every little thing was a capitalist plot to perform the ~coup de grace~.

Within the show, the Jennings were clearly primed to reach this conclusion by Gabriel. It's kind of fun that this news has now flipped Philip over to taking his turn at being *intense* about dealing with this project: 'Why don't we just kill Morozov immediately, stab stab stab' and Elizabeth has to tell him to chill for once.

I assume the 'not treating Paige like a child' process will go beyond playing the world's tiniest violin, but I agree this sets them up for some nice subtle scenes down the line if they show Paige doing the technique at key moments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

Mameluke posted:

loving goons. Philip is not loving a child off-camera. That was literally dealt with during the third season.

I thought the way he got out of it was hilarious and awesome, too.

'Will you... pray with me?'

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

Doronin posted:

I binged through S2 - S4 on Amazon, and having actually used an identical bullshit story to get out of getting involved with a girl I didn't like, I thought that was hilarious and one of the best moments of the series.

That and Philip's "I feel like poo poo all the time" to one of his assets, which I think was the same season. It really felt like the mask slipped completely away for a second there and you saw how much of a toll all the awful things the Jennings constantly have to do takes on this guy, who also has to constantly pretend that everything is fine, even with his own side.

That might have been my very favorite moment so far.

Well. That or Gaad v. Mail Robot.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

OMGVBFLOL posted:

Phillip's reaction to the news about the crops was genuinely uncomfortable to watch. Rhys' acting and Emmerich's direction were on point. Also Elizabeth trying to empathize with his anguish and falling short.

Yeah that was devastating. Philip was all the way back in thinking he was protecting the Soviet Union from a biological attack, and now he finds out it was all bullshit, he killed some innocent lab dope, and once again has been doing awful poo poo for no good purpose.

He's gonna be such a mess.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

Doronin posted:

First, whoever mentioned The Patriot on Amazon in this thread and called it 'transcendent,' thank you for that. I started watching that this weekend and holy poo poo. That's some of the best TV there is.

That said, I'm really eager to see where this season of Americans even ends up at this point. Usually I have a vague sense at what the endgame is of a story. Phil has had hangups and misgivings with the cause from Day 1, but I am beginning to wonder if Elizabeth might not be starting to really question things.

Yeah I agree. The honey trap stuff was bothering her last season and now it's clear she (with good reason) really struggles with what she did to Yung-hee's family. Elizabeth seems to still be more on board that Philip (didn't appear to give a poo poo about the dude in the lab) but she's not the unwavering zealot of earlier seasons.

I know we're not getting a happy ending for the series; at this point I wonder how dark they're gonna go.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

GobiasIndustries posted:

I think Gabriel recalled himself because of the whole 'Philip's son' situation. I think there was genuine love and care going on and Gabriel realized he had gotten too close and couldn't keep up that particular lie.

I agree with that. Gabriel couldn't keep working with Philip while keeping the whole son situation from him.

Whether his comment about Paige was meant as an apology or not, it was obviously devastating to hear. Oh by the way, you were right about it being a bad idea to get your daughter involved in this, of course we're way past the point of no return on that now, byeeeeee.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER
I didn't think the last season sucked. If you think that each season of a TV series needs to have its own beginning-middle-end arc to it, then it didn't work very well, but I don't think it was meant to. I think, at this point, that the writers are looking at the whole story they want to tell, and this past season more or less got us to the point where all the main characters we follow are thoroughly disillusioned with what they've devoted their lives to up til now.

We had a brief flicker of renewed dedication from the Jennings when they thought they were preventing the US from destroying the USSR's food supply, but then that turned out to be a lie, and the Soviets turned around and used the biological weapon they said they only wanted protection from. Stan is fairly thoroughly done with the FBI, between the lack of movement on Gaad's murder and trying to blackmail Oleg. The Oleg thing, we've talked about. I think they did a good job setting up all our characters in a place where they're done eating various kinds of poo poo and obviously itching to do something different.

Now, if they don't use the final season to do something compelling with this setup, I'll agree the whole thing was bad. The quality of the show is sufficient that they've earned my trust so far though. My guess is the final season will be a glorious car crash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

EL BROMANCE posted:

Hey now, don't forget we got to watch people dig a hole for 15 minutes. Like, they specifically extended the episode past normal running time so we could take it all in.

Ok the hole digging scene was baffling, I give you that. I dunno if they thought it was going to be tense or something but it was not great.

• Locked thread