Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

It's Alpha Flight #2: Fear Itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Which is following up on his appearance in Jason Aaron's Wolverine In Hell story, I believe.

I also like how that original Alpha Flight post includes Purple Girl, AKA the Purple Man's daughter by a Canadian lady he raped with his powers, and she's the least crazy part of it.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
I finished Hickman's Avengers/New Avengers/Infinity.

Felt bummed out seeing Tony and Cap end that way at the end of everything.

Gonna read Hellcat next on Unlimited for some lighthearted superheroics.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Moving sucks

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

OhFunny posted:

I finished Hickman's Avengers/New Avengers/Infinity.

Felt bummed out seeing Tony and Cap end that way at the end of everything.
I thought the Iron Man / Old Man America fight was a bit of a wet fart of an ending compared to everything else that was going on. Was one of the only bits of Hickman's run I haven't liked so far (halfway through Secret Wars and tie-ins).

quote:

Gonna read Hellcat next on Unlimited for some lighthearted superheroics.
It's a great palette cleanser.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I thought the Iron Man / Old Man America fight was a bit of a wet fart of an ending compared to everything else that was going on. Was one of the only bits of Hickman's run I haven't liked so far (halfway through Secret Wars and tie-ins).
It's a great palette cleanser.

I think Hickman knew he was gonna end the run with Steve Rogers and Tony Stark locked in combat, but didn't know Steve Rogers was gonna be old and Tony Stark was gonna be a sociopath by the time he got to the end.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

The pacing is a bit weird too because the real "end" to the other plotlines happens later in Secret Wars 1.

I was happy that there was much less jumping around than with the Fantastic Four / FF run, and that with one exception you can just read everything a trade at a time.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
So I have $10 in credit at a local chain of comic book stores that I can only use in the month of April. I am considering getting either:

Saga Vol. 7 TPB -- $14.99 (so I'd pay $5 out of pocket), but I could also read it from the library in the meantime, and a local used bookstore where I also have store credit will inevitably get a clean used copy, if I'm patient.

-or-

Spider-Man/Deadpool #6, written by Scott Aukerman -- $8 (which is much more than I would normally want to spend on a single issue)
-and-
Booster Gold/Flintstones, because I'm a huge Booster Gold fan and my favorite artist Mike Allred did the cover, even though I have never liked the Flintstones, even as a kid -- $4.99 (so I'd pay $3 out of pocket for both comics).

Saga will obviously be easier to read and get later, but what do you all think?

Big Bad Voodoo Lou fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Mar 30, 2017

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Skwirl posted:

I think Hickman knew he was gonna end the run with Steve Rogers and Tony Stark locked in combat, but didn't know Steve Rogers was gonna be old and Tony Stark was gonna be a sociopath by the time he got to the end.

I think he was a bit annoyed by that. At the conference when they plotted the road to Secret Wars they didn't even have AXIS on the table yet.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Rhyno posted:

I think he was a bit annoyed by that. At the conference when they plotted the road to Secret Wars they didn't even have AXIS on the table yet.

I would be too, but I'll admit that I kinda liked Superior Iron-Man and wouldn't have minded that book sticking around.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

So I have $10 in credit at a local chain of comic book stores that I can only use in the month of April. I am considering getting either:

Saga Vol. 7 TPB -- $14.99 (so I'd pay $5 out of pocket), but I could also read it from the library in the meantime, and a local used bookstore where I also have store credit will inevitably get a clean used copy, if I'm patient.

-or-

Spider-Man/Deadpool #6, written by Scott Aukerman -- $8 (which is much more than I would normally want to spend on a single issue)
-and-
Booster Gold/Flintstones, because I'm a huge Booster Gold fan and my favorite artist Mike Allred did the cover, even though I have never liked the Flintstones, even as a kid -- $4.99 (so I'd pay $3 out of pocket for both comics).

Saga will obviously be easier to read and get later, but what do you all think?

This is going to sound weird coming from me considering I don't and will never read one and have read and love the other, but go with the Saga trade. It's a trade and not a single issue. And as much as I love that issue, no single normal sized issue of a comic is worth $8. Go buy it on comixology instead.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Skwirl posted:

Yeah. I found old Cap and crazy Tony very jarring along with the 8 month jump forward. It throws the pace of the series off wildly.

Hellcat is fun and good. :kimchi:

SMP
May 5, 2009

Evil Tony and Old Cap were pretty unfortunate for Hickman, just because it's so unerringly weird and short lived, but I don't think it affected things too much. His Stark was pretty Superior-ish already and Cap in a power suit isn't that different. He was clearly heading towards those two assholes beating each other up at the end of all things, regardless.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

How was Avengers World?

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

SMP posted:

Evil Tony and Old Cap were pretty unfortunate for Hickman, just because it's so unerringly weird and short lived, but I don't think it affected things too much. His Stark was pretty Superior-ish already and Cap in a power suit isn't that different. He was clearly heading towards those two assholes beating each other up at the end of all things, regardless.

Old Cap was such a dick, and I wonder if it would have been more or less effective if he was his standard younger self throughout. Alternately, I'd like to know how much Hickman changed to reflect his age-d status.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Doctor Spaceman posted:

How was Avengers World?

I enjoyed it greatly. It's inessential but good. Especially the issues drawn by Checchetto.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Doctor Spaceman posted:

How was Avengers World?

I thought it was ok, and probably worth reading on Unlimited, but I also remember it dragging somewhat. For whatever reason it just didn't stick with me.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Just live with the time gap.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

We need to teach young stories that they don't need a time gap to be beautiful. Otherwise they'll adopt unhealthy subplots and grow up to have lame resolutions.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Doctor Spaceman posted:

How was Avengers World?

Incredibly unnecessary, but vastly better than it had to be. It was actually a really very good book.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
So, the writers at comics alliance on twitter are saying that the site has been put "on hiatus". So basically it's gone again :(

I am holding out for early April Fools joke, but I know it is very far off.

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Mar 31, 2017

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Unlucky7 posted:

So, the writers at comics alliance on twitter are saying that the site has been put "on hiatus". So basically it's gone again :(

I am holding out for early April Fools joke, but I doubt it.

The site has been worthless since Andy Khouri left for DC.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Rhyno posted:

The site has been worthless since Andy Khouri left for DC.

I used to visit it daily, but I haven't checked in in probably a year, or maybe around the time Laura left? It's been awhile.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I still enjoy Chris Sims stuff.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
They were updating as of 35 minutes ago.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

CapnAndy posted:

They were updating as of 35 minutes ago.

They said that they had content for the day. Otherwise, this is basically their last day.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Aw. That sucks, even if they have gotten super clickbait-y.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

CA had basically become a repository for Sims articles with reposted content from TownSquare's other sites, which are worthless garbage dumps. They still did the occasional good essay from other people. I feel bad for Kieran Shiach. If this is legit I'll miss them (again)

Lightning Lord fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Mar 31, 2017

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Ca sort of became the spot for stuff about diversity in comics which I appreciated, even if sometimes it seemed like that was the only thing they ever talked about any more

rip

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I get all my news about comics from SA and D_T's titty blog. Sorry to see all of your primary news source gone.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Had no idea Comics Alliance was even still in operation.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

where the gently caress am I going to read about Sims discovering the wonders of Sonic comics now?!?

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Unlucky7 posted:

I am holding out for early April Fools joke, but I know it is very far off.

I have some good friends there, so that sucks. Especially since Chris is about to get married and stuff :(

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Gavok posted:

I have some good friends there, so that sucks. Especially since Chris is about to get married and stuff :(

I didn't know he was marrying Aidan, congrats to him. At least he's still writing for Marvel...

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Lightning Lord posted:

where the gently caress am I going to read about Sims discovering the wonders of Sonic comics now?!?

At least we got The Transformed Man out of it. Or, as I like to call it, A Grown Man Learns To Cry About Toy Robots.

CrcleSqreSanchz
Aug 21, 2002

I'm feeling something new...something...I'm happy??!!
The Reason Superboy has to be non-binary according to the fiction inside of my head

Seriously though I did like the site when they would make interesting articles instead of just regurgitating the news of the day. Which seemed to be scarcer to find with every passing month. I guess I was turning into a chauvinistic werewolf before my own eyes...

Basically I'm going to miss Chris Sims.

trashbuilder
Dec 26, 2013

Look at all the poor opinions I have
I have a pretty good feeling Comics Alliance is going to be an April fools joke, but i am also often wrong

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
Bet they rebrand as Comics Axis.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

trashbuilder posted:

I have a pretty good feeling Comics Alliance is going to be an April fools joke, but i am also often wrong
Lots of the staff are talking about being unemployed and even putting up gofundmes, if it's a prank it's a dedicated one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

trashbuilder posted:

Nah, writers are on Twitter looking for jobs already

• Locked thread