Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
I gotta assume that if that's the case, Disney is feeding him money just because they don't want Stan Lee Dies Broke headlines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cactus Jack
Nov 16, 2005

If you even try to throw to my side of the field in a dream, you better wake up and apologize.
Those old legends, especially sports stars, are never really broke since they can just hold an autograph signing/do photos. Rinse, repeat until they are dead.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Cactus Jack posted:

Those old legends, especially sports stars, are never really broke since they can just hold an autograph signing/do photos. Rinse, repeat until they are dead.

At some point people stop giving a ahit though. We have people calling the store daily looking to dump sports autographs and a large amount of them are bottoming out in value.

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

I actively avoid buying anything signed. You want me to pay twice the going rate because some person I don't know met a celebrity I'll never meet and has them scribble all over my precious children's comic book? Why would I pay that? Its not enough that rear end in a top hat got to meet Stan Lee you want me to foot his travel expenses too?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
If I get something signed it's always personalized. Celebs seem to appreciate it because you're clearly not trying to just make a profit off it.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Rhyno posted:

At some point people stop giving a ahit though. We have people calling the store daily looking to dump sports autographs and a large amount of them are bottoming out in value.

Well, I'm sure a lot of them are just getting it for themselves and not planning to sell.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
Signed stuff is always personalised for me or family/friends. gently caress the idea of flipping.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I just don't see the point of an autographed thing if the autograph isn't a reminder of actually meeting the person. Otherwise it's just a dumb scribble.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I guess if you're buying a print, or original artwork or something? Adds authenticity? I don't know.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lurdiak posted:

I just don't see the point of an autographed thing if the autograph isn't a reminder of actually meeting the person. Otherwise it's just a dumb scribble.

While I am often puzzled by it, a large chunk of my profit share checks come from people buying autographed things so I don't complain.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Rhyno posted:

While I am often puzzled by it, a large chunk of my profit share checks come from people buying autographed things so I don't complain.

I wonder how many of those people are buying them just so they can sell them to other people who want to sell them, etc.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lurdiak posted:

I wonder how many of those people are buying them just so they can sell them to other people who want to sell them, etc.

The stuff we sell is already marked up to what is considered "retail" so I'm assuming it's for themselves. We are currently working on getting Jaylon Smith in to do an actual signing so we'll see how many people turn up to get re-sellable stuff.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I wore a Spiderman costume at a Purim party tonight (think Jewish Halloween) and one person asked to see my face less she call the cops and two others said I looked scary. I now see why people hate Spiderman

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Madkal posted:

I wore a Spiderman costume at a Purim party tonight (think Jewish Halloween) and one person asked to see my face less she call the cops and two others said I looked scary. I now see why people hate Spiderman

People who forget the hyphen in Spider-Man should be arrested.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Skwirl posted:

John Byrne stealth account sited.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

That would explain the avatar.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Rhyno posted:

John Byrne stealth account sited.

Ew, gross. Please just call me a motherfucker instead,

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It's too late, your cover is blown.

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

Skwirl posted:

Dude he just said he was at Jewish Halloween. I'm pretty sure I met a Herschel Spidermann at some point.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Rhyno posted:

There's a lot of rumors floating around about how cash poor Stan really is and how he's got a lot of debts he wants to square before he dies. He made some really bad deals over the last 20 years and at one point didn't even have the rights to his own name. So I can understand why he'd unretire. But when we saw him at WW two years back he looked like hell and had to be prompted to do pretty much everything. Then there's that video from SDCC where he was on stage with the Fox film cast and when it was over he kind of wandered around looking confused and Channing Tatum rushed over to walk him off the stage.

Didn't that one guy loving him over in the Stan Lee Media deal really hurt him? Like, literally millions?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Didn't that one guy loving him over in the Stan Lee Media deal really hurt him? Like, literally millions?

Yeah, like MILLIONS and if the old report is true Stan doesn't even have the rights to his own name currently.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
From the top of misty mountains, a wise old mystic whose uncle works at Nintendo passes down the old reports, HAST THOU HEARD, THESE FANTASTIC TALES

Word is around the ol' insider water cooler that Stan Lee doesn't even have the rights to his own name!

There's plenty of evidence for that, whether it's his frequent appearances at conventions under the name "Stan Lee", his online presence under the name "Stan Lee", or possibly multiple businesses he has launched in the past couple of years using the name Stan Lee, like Stan Lee's Kids Universe, Stan Lee's Comicaze/Comicon, etc.

Some heretics say that the secret whisperers high in the castle might not know what the gently caress they're talking about, and they're mixing up the entire debacle of Stan Lee Media (a legally distinct entity/name from Stan Lee the Person With the Name Stan Lee) and how some dirtbag froze out Stan Lee from SLM, stole all of the money from SLM and fled the country.

This completely-divorced-from-Stan-Lee-the-person corporation is a bankrupt hollowed out shell that has spent the past decade and a half getting sued and filing frivolous counter lawsuits about how technically maybe they own the X-Men and 20th Century Fox should be paying them, not Disney. They also were selling people licenses to use Spider-Man in stuff despite clearly not owning Spider-Man. They've lost every single case that has been taken to court and this has been going on for fifteen years and all of this is like... right on Stan Lee's Wikipedia page but you know who the gently caress knows, anything is possible and I'm not an insider so maybe Stan Lee is broke as gently caress and has to call himself Lan Stee at signings or something because that's the word on the street.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Stan Lee has to hold comic conventions under maritime law?

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Stan Leigh

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Stan Lee's name is public domain, anybody can change their name to Stan Lee.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Aphrodite posted:

Stan Lee has to hold comic conventions under maritime law?
All comic conventions are under maritime law. It's why the flags outside have a yellow fringe. Wake up, sheeple!

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Stan Lee was taken to the hospital in the 1980s and when they pumped his stomach it was full of two gallons of New Universe comics.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Stan Lee died in a car accident in 1972, the Stan Lee we've seen since then is a very dedicated double. Why do you think he stopped writing comics that year?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Alaois posted:

Stan Lee died in a car accident in 1972, the Stan Lee we've seen since then is a very dedicated double. Why do you think he stopped writing comics that year?

Because he fell in love with the superior medium, anime. Have you not seen Heroman?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

He pulled a fast one and only sold the name Stanley Lieber.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

https://twitter.com/otolythe/status/841339449959145473

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

So marvel unlimited had more Adam warlock comics dumped this week. He has gotten a lot put up over the last month. Was he ever cast in GotG2?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
It's me. I'm Stan Lee. Just don't tell that Stanley Lieber guy.

Honestly, please don't die Stan Lee.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Mr Hootington posted:

So marvel unlimited had more Adam warlock comics dumped this week. He has gotten a lot put up over the last month. Was he ever cast in GotG2?

The closest anything has been said was that Gunn recently said that an Adam Warlock toy that was released was not a toy for the movie even though it was released alongside the movie line. And then when some sites ran that as confirmation that Adam Warlock was not in the movie Gunn said it was not confirmation or denial of anything, just that the toy wasn't part of the Guardians movie toys.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Doesn't include the 4th nephew Phooey, table is invalid.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Some days I just wonder what the he'll ever happened to Harvey comics and will kids today know who Casper the Ghost was? Then I feel old.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Hi, I'm reading old X-Men comics and I have a question: at what point roughly did writing guidelines in comics shift away from constant expository and explanatory dialogue, magically changing into costume and using terms like magnetism and telekinesis as catch-all justifications for superpowers because as much as I want to get to grips with some superhero history I don't think I can take much more of this. Maybe it's just the concentrated dose.

it's some time after 1981 I have gathered that much

My Lovely Horse fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Mar 14, 2017

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Thanks to my transistor-powered computer, I'm able to answer you that it entirely depends on the writer/editor team of the comic and that people like Len Wein were writing in that style well into the late 80s.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Well I'll keep going and maybe Claremont had an epiphany at some point.

Or at least stops sending the team to space. Love the space art, hate the space storylines, but did suddenly understand the joke behind that plot arc in Morrison's Doom Patrol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

X-men in space is the circle of hell reserved for gamblers and cheats, I think.

X-men time travel is for child killers.

• Locked thread