Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Claremont's dialog is an improvement on what came before too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Madkal posted:

Some days I just wonder what the he'll ever happened to Harvey comics and will kids today know who Casper the Ghost was? Then I feel old.

Remember when there was a Caspar movie in the 1990s? I remember it being pretty big when I was little; came out when I was maybe four. It's one of those movies that was pretty big but I think it's largely forgotten now.

When I was little I remember loads of movies seeming huge and I'd get really hyped for them even if I didn't actually go and see them in the cinema: Space Jam (which I did go to see), The Mask, Jurassic Park, Batman & Robin, Wild Wild West (I'm still so, so disappointed that that movie turned out so poorly), Men In Black.

I really keenly remember seeing the trailers for Cutthroat Island being on TV and they made a big impression on me; obviously it fizzled out in theatres and I forgot about it, but then when Pirates of the Caribbean came out about 10 years later I thought it was the same movie and it had just had a really long wait between the trailer and the release. :v:

It all built up to The Phantom Menace - I don't remember any movie ever having been as big before it had even come out as that one and I never had and never have been so excited to go and see a film (only The Force Awakens comes close).

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

My Lovely Horse posted:

Well I'll keep going and maybe Claremont had an epiphany at some point.

Or at least stops sending the team to space. Love the space art, hate the space storylines, but did suddenly understand the joke behind that plot arc in Morrison's Doom Patrol.

I'll go ahead and stop you: He didn't.

joehonkie
Jan 12, 2006

I'm a member of STARS.

My Lovely Horse posted:

Well I'll keep going and maybe Claremont had an epiphany at some point.

Haha. No.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I think there's an identifiable point where Claremont's writing style undergoes a slight change, maybe around the time he wrote the Brood saga, and I think it's because he read Alan Moore's Captain Britain stories.

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

Alaois posted:

Stan Lee died in a car accident in 1972, the Stan Lee we've seen since then is a very dedicated double. Why do you think he stopped writing comics that year?

Actually, it was a helicopter accident that same year and he fell into a coma. He awoke as Punished Lee.

joehonkie
Jan 12, 2006

I'm a member of STARS.
I just remember he did a few stories in Marvel's Star Wars and (aside from other problems they had that weren't his fault) the walls of text encircling every panel made it clear you had just entered the Claremont Zone.

He's like the poster child of show don't tell.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Claremont is good. Sorry BSS

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

purple death ray posted:

Claremont is your dad who was an activist in the 60s, 70s and early 80s yeah he was involved in free love poo poo but he totally was actually politically active as well and doesn't quite understand modern social justice concepts but really enjoys listening to you talk about them.

Lightning Lord fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Mar 14, 2017

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Lightning Lord posted:

Claremont is your dad who was an activist in the 60s, 70s and early 80s yeah he was involved in free love poo poo but he totally was actually politically active as well and doesn't quite understand modern social justice concepts but really enjoys listening to you talk about them.

He's taking over Champions from Waid.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I want to clarify the line, "sorry BSS", I'm not apologizing for thinking Claremont rules, I'm expressing condolences to you all for not realizing that Claremont rules.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Lurdiak posted:

X-men in space is the circle of hell reserved for gamblers and cheats, I think.

X-men time travel is for child killers.

The brood saga is awesome and so is days of future past

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Wheat Loaf posted:

He's taking over Champions from Waid.

Really I heard an interview with him and he sounded so old and tired.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

He's 66, which leads credence to my belief that he's actually Marv Wolfman's younger brother, except way better.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

CharlestheHammer posted:

Really I heard an interview with him and he sounded so old and tired.

Nah, I was only joking.

Roth posted:

He's 66, which leads credence to my belief that he's actually Marv Wolfman's younger brother, except way better.

New Teen Titans wanted so badly to be Claremont X-Men.

I like them both, but honestly, there's no contest between them. X-Men is leaps and bounds better.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I just read the best costume origin story ever. When mild-mannered college student Carol Connor was scratched by a science cat, she gained the abilities of a cat and became the superhero Cat Claw. She stole some metal cloth from the school, but only enough to make boots, gloves, and a mask. She also stole her roommates tights, because her roommate apparently tore her tights a lot so always had spares and wouldn't notice if some went missing. The final piece of the costume was a bikini she had been given as a gift but refused to wear because it was too revealing. After all, if everyone knew Carol Connor would never wear such a small bikini, no one would ever suspect that she could be Cat Claw!

Guy Goodbody fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Mar 14, 2017

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Guy Goodbody posted:

I just read the best costume origin story ever. When mild-mannered college student Carol Connor was scratched by a science cat, she gained the abilities of a cat and became the superhero Cat Claw. She stole some metal cloth from the school, but only enough to make boots, gloves, and a mask. She also stole her roommates because tights, because her roommate apparently tore her tights a lot so always had spares and wouldn't notice if some went missing. The final piece of the costume was a bikini she had been given as a gift but refused to wear because it was too revealing. After all, if everyone knew Carol Connor would never wear such a small bikini, no one would ever suspect that she could be Cat Claw!

:wtc:

Comics, everybody!

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Well that all checks out. I am now ashamed of my words and deeds.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Guy Goodbody posted:

I just read the best costume origin story ever. When mild-mannered college student Carol Connor was scratched by a science cat, she gained the abilities of a cat and became the superhero Cat Claw. She stole some metal cloth from the school, but only enough to make boots, gloves, and a mask. She also stole her roommates because tights, because her roommate apparently tore her tights a lot so always had spares and wouldn't notice if some went missing. The final piece of the costume was a bikini she had been given as a gift but refused to wear because it was too revealing. After all, if everyone knew Carol Connor would never wear such a small bikini, no one would ever suspect that she could be Cat Claw!

Now I'd buy that for a dollar...!

Who are we kidding? You know that poo poo is going to be $3.99.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
It's honestly not a terrible comic. Cat Claw was meant to be Yugoslavia's Spider-Man, so she's got that fun jokey personality. They made her a college student instead of a high school student so she could be nude a lot.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Guy Goodbody posted:

It's honestly not a terrible comic. Cat Claw was meant to be Yugoslavia's Spider-Man, so she's got that fun jokey personality. They made her a college student instead of a high school student so she could be nude a lot.

that second sentence is brutally European

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

purple death ray posted:

I want to clarify the line, "sorry BSS", I'm not apologizing for thinking Claremont rules, I'm expressing condolences to you all for not realizing that Claremont rules.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Wheat Loaf posted:

Nah, I was only joking.

New Teen Titans wanted so badly to be Claremont X-Men.

I like them both, but honestly, there's no contest between them. X-Men is leaps and bounds better.

Yeah, Teen Titans have been my favorite team ever since I watched the animated series as a kid, and I really would never put New Teen Titans over plenty of other great comics from the 80s, let alone Claremont's X-Men.

I will say though, I do think if you're more used to the writing and storytelling of modern comics, then a lot of comics pre-1985 do take a bit of getting used to to appreciate.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Anyone else play Breath of the Wild and go "Kite Man. Hell yeah!"?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
Is there a definitive year in which comics got rid of thought bubbles in favour of captions? One thing I love about reading old comics is the thought bubbles that always seemed more personal than a caption which could either be used for first person or third person narration.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I love the ones where, for example, J. Jonah Jameson would be ranting that he needs Pictures! Picture of Spider-Man while Betty Brant would say, "Mr Jameson, I don't understand why you're so obsessed with Spider-Man!" and Peter Parker would be in the background with a thought balloon that said, "No one must know that I am Spider-Man!"

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Madkal posted:

Is there a definitive year in which comics got rid of thought bubbles in favour of captions? One thing I love about reading old comics is the thought bubbles that always seemed more personal than a caption which could either be used for first person or third person narration.

Thought bubbles need to come back.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

joehonkie posted:

I just remember he did a few stories in Marvel's Star Wars and (aside from other problems they had that weren't his fault) the walls of text encircling every panel made it clear you had just entered the Claremont Zone.

He's like the poster child of show don't tell.

Claremont wrote a comic in 1999 called Contest of Champions II and it involved him writing Deadpool. It meant wall-to-wall words.

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

Madkal posted:

During Bendis' run on Avengers when they added Ares to the team I distinctly remember Tony and Carol nervously wondering to themselves if they were flirting with each other while discussing needing new members.

... a Wolverine and a Thor?...

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

purple death ray posted:

I think the majority of us are able to recognise his massive contribution to the medium while still cringing at his idiosyncrasies.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I highly recommend Kong: Skull Island. It is a very entertaining monster movie and is what A new King Kong needed to be.

The after credits scene is a massive nerd boner inducer too.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Heathen posted:

During Bendis' run on Avengers when they added Ares to the team I distinctly remember Tony and Carol nervously wondering to themselves if they were flirting with each other while discussing needing new members.

... a Wolverine and a Thor?...

That was a specific thing Bendis did in Mighty Avengers that no one else was doing at the time, or had done for decades, the Wolverine ongoing that started in '88 used captions instead of thought bubbles, so I'm guessing the split started sometime in the mid 80's.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I thought Kong was trash. Larson and Hiddleston couldn't have seemed less interested in acting in it.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Mar 15, 2017

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
You can map it pretty closely to when Miller's Dark Knight Returns became everyone's touchpoint for superhero comics.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I feel like Watchmen also lacked thought bubbles, but there might still be a few in there.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Teenage Fansub posted:

I thought Kong was trash. Larson and Hiddleston couldn't have seemed less interested in acting in it.

The monster stuff was good, anything involving a cast filled with people I really like was just awful though. It was a very poorly written movie propped up by some good giant monster fighting.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

It's a narrative device. Old comics used thought bubbles because the narrator was the writer, and therefore you had to show what characters were thinking outside of the explanation of what was going on - modern comics use captions because typically they are written as narrated by the characters in the scene, and their thoughts are therefore part of the narrative rather than sitting outside of it in a bubble.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

X-O posted:

The monster stuff was good, anything involving a cast filled with people I really like was just awful though. It was a very poorly written movie propped up by some good giant monster fighting.

I don't know if I'll get to see it (if only because I never have time to go to the cinema these days) but I hope it doesn't fail or anything because I'm super keen to see Godzilla vs Kong whenever it comes out. :allears:

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Roth posted:

I feel like Watchmen also lacked thought bubbles, but there might still be a few in there.
Imagine Watchmen written in overexpository mid-70s style. Kovacs walks by on the very first page with his sign and there's a thought bubble "No one must know I'm really Rorschach - and thanks to my mask made of black and white fluids between latex, they won't!"

Days of Future Past was pretty good and Claremont seems to tone it down a little after that but now that I've read it I've kind of lost all interest in this project and want to skip straight to Morrison's run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Madkal posted:

Is there a definitive year in which comics got rid of thought bubbles in favour of captions?

V for Vendetta.

• Locked thread