Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm 15 minutes into Iron Fist and it's kinda really terrible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd

redbackground posted:

Omnibobb, your GL ring is in the mail.

Noice! Thank you

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Guy Goodbody posted:

I'm 15 minutes into Iron Fist and it's kinda really terrible

Okay, when people have watched an episode or two (really one episode is all you owe a tv show) I get it if you don't like it and want to express that. But poo poo like this just makes me think you're watching the show while also browsing the forums, which means you're not actually watching the show.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Skwirl posted:

Okay, when people have watched an episode or two (really one episode is all you owe a tv show) I get it if you don't like it and want to express that. But poo poo like this just makes me think you're watching the show while also browsing the forums, which means you're not actually watching the show.

That post was motivated by my genuine shock at the moment where a random homeless man just walks up to Danny and says "hey I got a cell phone, do you need to google anything?"

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I mean, judging a show after 15 minutes seems really dumb either way. Unless it's a 15 minute show.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.
I'd be okay with judging a half hour show after fifteen minutes, if the first fifteen minutes was bad enough.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I watched the first episode earlier tonight, and wasn't thrilled. I lost count of scenes with Danny telling Donald Jr. and Ivanka that he just wanted to talk, with them getting scared or angry and trying to get rid of him. Too bad he couldn't blurt out something to prove his identity (like "Hey, remember we played that board game on the roof as kids, and Donald Jr. knocked everything over and blamed me when my parents showed up"), rather than just saying "We need to talk" over and over again.

I'm so behind on Flash, Arrow, Legends, and Legion that I won't be in any hurry to binge-watch Iron Fist after that opener.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

If nothing else, it's nice that Iron Fist takes place during the drat day.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

I watched the first episode earlier tonight, and wasn't thrilled. I lost count of scenes with Danny telling Donald Jr. and Ivanka that he just wanted to talk, with them getting scared or angry and trying to get rid of him. Too bad he couldn't blurt out something to prove his identity (like "Hey, remember we played that board game on the roof as kids, and Donald Jr. knocked everything over and blamed me when my parents showed up"), rather than just saying "We need to talk" over and over again.

I'm so behind on Flash, Arrow, Legends, and Legion that I won't be in any hurry to binge-watch Iron Fist after that opener.

He does exactly that in the car like a half hour into episode 1.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Mar 18, 2017

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

My friend watched it and says it's basically Nolan Batman, except Batman is kind of a leftist instead of an authoritarian prick and occasionally a scene from a kung fu movie is spliced in. This was a negative criticism btw.

People really cared about the handful of boardroom stuff in Immortal Iron Fist and didn't care about stuff like him beating up a roomful of Hydra agents or fighting in a cosmic version of Enter the Dragon at all!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'm on episode 4 and it's not even close to the worst comic book show ever. Could be more fights but the use of the IF thus far has been good.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Is Black Mirror the first Snyder Batman thing? Is it before or after Court of Owls?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Escobarbarian posted:

Is Black Mirror the first Snyder Batman thing? Is it before or after Court of Owls?

It's the first thing. The Black Mirror trade is his entire run in early 2011 'Detective Comics'. He also did the 'Gates of Gotham' miniseries during that time. Then the New 52 happened at the end of the year and he moved to the main 'Batman' series. Court of Owls is the first storyline from that.
Now he's on 'All-Star Batman' in the Rebirth era.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 11:39 on Mar 18, 2017

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Rhyno posted:

I'm on episode 4 and it's not even close to the worst comic book show ever. Could be more fights but the use of the IF thus far has been good.

Internet in 'irrationally declaring something merely average to be the new Worst Thing Ever and deserving on insane amounts of scorn and derision' non-shock.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

It was the critics, not the internet, that said it was real real lame.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Lurdiak posted:

It was the critics, not the internet, that said it was real real lame.

Even then it was classic "GTA 12 given a 7/10 by Gamespot, is worst game every made" hyperbole.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I've never been able to make it through a whole season of these Marvel shows so while I'm not hating it after episode 2 I also don't have very high hopes. I would have higher hopes if they hadn't already repeated the plane crash flashback like five or six times.

Why are seasons still a fixed number of episodes in the age of Netflix? They're produced with binge watching in mind every step of the way, might as well cut the fat and make them 6 or 7 episodes instead of padding them all to hell with repetitive flashbacks and "let me explain what I can do" exposition. Although in that regard they're at least fully in line with classic comics writing; maybe I'm just sensitized to it at the moment but it does stand out.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

My Lovely Horse posted:

I've never been able to make it through a whole season of these Marvel shows so while I'm not hating it after episode 2 I also don't have very high hopes. I would have higher hopes if they hadn't already repeated the plane crash flashback like five or six times.

Why are seasons still a fixed number of episodes in the age of Netflix? They're produced with binge watching in mind every step of the way, might as well cut the fat and make them 6 or 7 episodes instead of padding them all to hell with repetitive flashbacks and "let me explain what I can do" exposition. Although in that regard they're at least fully in line with classic comics writing; maybe I'm just sensitized to it at the moment but it does stand out.

Well, in the Marvel case, it's because the deal was for a fixed number of hours of content over the duration of the contract.

In the general sense, it's because most of this content is made for US based companies and the perception of a 'season' of TV in the US is still something in the double-digit number of episodes. Plus some other shows handle things better, like Kimmy Schmidt, which only really had one big misfire last season out of 13 episodes.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Chuck Berry no :smith:

joehonkie
Jan 12, 2006

I'm a member of STARS.

Gaz-L posted:

Even then it was classic "GTA 12 given a 7/10 by Gamespot, is worst game every made" hyperbole.

No, it's actually really negative stuff I've seen from multiple outlets.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Wheat Loaf posted:

Chuck Berry no :smith:

Bernie Wrightson just passed too :(
https://www.facebook.com/157503094275422/photos/a.362459693779760.105656.157503094275422/1873624719329909/?type=3&theater

edit: And this is with Len Wein just getting over some major surgery. It would've been something to lose both Swamp Thing creators.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Mar 19, 2017

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Aw man. :( I really loved the art in those first 10 issues of Swamp Thing. It gave the story such a creepy vibe.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Gaz-L posted:

http://www.metacritic.com/tv/marvels-iron-fist?ref=hp

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I found out why that massive Alpha Flight bundle I bought ended at issue 105. Issue 106 is literally the only rare or valuable issue of Alpha Flight, because it's the one where Northstar comes out

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
Someone pointed out the Iron Fist sale on Comixology, so I had to go get the Immortal Iron Fist series. Is the recent Power Man and Iron Fist series worth getting as well?

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Teenage Fansub posted:

Bernie Wrightson just passed too :(
https://www.facebook.com/157503094275422/photos/a.362459693779760.105656.157503094275422/1873624719329909/?type=3&theater

edit: And this is with Len Wein just getting over some major surgery. It would've been something to lose both Swamp Thing creators.

RIP, Bernie. Swamp Thing is one of my favorite comics, both the original and Moore versions. Frankenstein is brilliant. I'm sure people will post tons of his best work but while he was the master of horror he was also a really funny guy. Like he did Hulk/Thing - The Big Change and the Heavy Metal strip Captain Sternn, one of the features chosen for the movie. Funny poo poo. Dude was super versatile. An all-star illustrator, he'll be missed.

Guy Goodbody posted:

I found out why that massive Alpha Flight bundle I bought ended at issue 105. Issue 106 is literally the only rare or valuable issue of Alpha Flight, because it's the one where Northstar comes out

It's also loving awful, this is the panel where he comes out

PunkBoy posted:

Someone pointed out the Iron Fist sale on Comixology, so I had to go get the Immortal Iron Fist series. Is the recent Power Man and Iron Fist series worth getting as well?

Ya. If you don't have it get the original PM&IF series too.

Lightning Lord fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Mar 20, 2017

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

PunkBoy posted:

It's pretty decent, but VERY different in tone to IIF. It's also a little sexist, honestly, given how Jessica's used and the one really cringeworthy appearance by Black Cat. I did like Cage calling Songbird for help during CW2, though, it was a nice callback to the Jeff Parker Thunderbolts and it makes sense they'd keep in touch, as superhero ex-cons.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Gaz-L posted:

It's pretty decent, but VERY different in tone to IIF. It's also a little sexist, honestly, given how Jessica's used and the one really cringeworthy appearance by Black Cat. I did like Cage calling Songbird for help during CW2, though, it was a nice callback to the Jeff Parker Thunderbolts.

Yeah I was disappointed by Jessica. Has she ever really been written well outside of Alias?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

PunkBoy posted:

It's pretty fun, If Matt Fraction's Defenders is on there I'd make it a higher priority though.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Lightning Lord posted:

It's also loving awful, this is the panel where he comes out

I'm like, 80 issues away from that, so I can't comment on the issue as a whole or that panel in context. But by itself, I like it. I'm tired of characters coming out over a kitchen table. They're superheroes, if they're gonna reveal their homosexuality, I want them to do it in the same way they reveal a new super power; mid-battle, catching the bad guy by surprise and winning the day.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Iron Fist episode 3: good thing there's an explosion alarm, but no fire alarm, in this archive

What's starting to get to me about this show is how the fight scenes are filmed and edited like bog standard brawl scenes. All I can think of whenever one comes on is this Every Frame A Painting. If you're bringing a superhero to the screen who was born out of the mid 70s martial arts craze, and you don't do martial arts film fight scenes, you've already hosed up the fundamental concept beyond redemption.

e: they had RZA direct an episode? Okay, I'm sticking it out at least until that one.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

My Lovely Horse posted:

What's starting to get to me about this show is how the fight scenes are filmed and edited like bog standard brawl scenes. All I can think of whenever one comes on is this Every Frame A Painting. If you're bringing a superhero to the screen who was born out of the mid 70s martial arts craze, and you don't do martial arts film fight scenes, you've already hosed up the fundamental concept beyond redemption.

https://twitter.com/BrianJNorris/status/843172574272114688

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

That's the exact one that finally made me think of Every Frame. And then they had the fight club and all I could think of was Ong-Bak.

I still feel like Batman Begins is at least partially to blame for establishing super close up, heavily edited fight scenes and showing that you can get away with it.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Neat how that almost loops perfectly.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

My Lovely Horse posted:

That's the exact one that finally made me think of Every Frame. And then they had the fight club and all I could think of was Ong-Bak.

I still feel like Batman Begins is at least partially to blame for establishing super close up, heavily edited fight scenes and showing that you can get away with it.

It was the Bourne movies.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Isn't Danny Rand supposed to be a kung fu master? Why does he fight like that?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Guy Goodbody posted:

Isn't Danny Rand supposed to be a kung fu master? Why does he fight like that?
ironfistshow.txt

joehonkie
Jan 12, 2006

I'm a member of STARS.
Mr Hootington, pubic works project, bobkatt013, Lightning Lord, do you still want Legion Flight Rings?

Ugh, I don't have PMs so I must divulge PERSONAL INFORMATION. I knew this was a bad plan.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

joehonkie posted:

Mr Hootington, pubic works project, bobkatt013, Lightning Lord, do you still want Legion Flight Rings?

Ugh, I don't have PMs so I must divulge PERSONAL INFORMATION. I knew this was a bad plan.

I'm fine. Thanks any how. :)

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

My Lovely Horse posted:

I thought it was fine in Batman Begins, since with Batman it's somewhat the point that everything he's doing is so fast and confusing that all you're left with is an oddly-moving black shape and then it's gone and you've been beaten up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

CapnAndy posted:

I thought it was fine in Batman Begins, since with Batman it's somewhat the point that everything he's doing is so fast and confusing that all you're left with is an oddly-moving black shape and then it's gone and you've been beaten up.

My memory is the Ras fight had the fast editing too, and it just obscured the action when it shouldn't have.

I don't know offhand what movie had fast-edit fights prior to Bourne and BB (something did) but the fast edit problem is really apparent in late 90's Bay movies, like iirc Armageddon. A lot of movies at that time were using fast edits to disguise sloppy action sequences. I rewatched Blade 2 last week and was impressed that most of the fights kept the editing down, although that made the few action bits with fast editing more apparent.

• Locked thread