Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Lurdiak posted:

Nintendo at least does a better job at backwards compatibility than those other fucks.

Until now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

irlZaphod posted:

I'm getting a Switch because it looks cool.

...and also because I have more money than sense (I don't have much of either, tbh).

You shouldn't, apparently it tastes terrible.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Rhyno posted:

I'm kind of on the fence with Mage 3 because in a way, Matt Wagner saved my life.

Twelve years ago I was in a very bad place mentally. I was very close to taking my own life and couldn't find much of a reason to keep on living. I sat there in the tiny place I lived in and stared at the ceiling for hours and when I made up my mind to do it, I got up and glanced at my bookshelf where my newly purchased copies of Mage 1 & 2 were sitting. (The "new" HCs Image released). And I thought to myself "If I kill myself I'll never know how the story ends." And that night, that was enough to shake me out of it. The days after were not good but I often think about how the idea of not getting to finish the story annoyed me enough to not go kill myself.

And now he's going to finish it and a very small part of me is worried that sometime in the future I might be in a bad place again and I won't have Kevin Matchstick to save me.

Pretend Warren Ellis is going to write more Fell, or Desolation Jones, or Doktor Sleepless

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Guy Goodbody posted:

The comic shop near me is having a half off back issues sale. I picked up the complete run of Amethyst Princess of Gemworld. I'm a big fan of those weird 12 issue series DC used to run, like Outcasts or Camelot 3000. On a whim, I also got Alpha Flight

All of Alpha Flight

I don't know anything about Alpha Flight, is it any good?

It's kinda hilarious how often Canada is portrayed as this Fascist military haven in the 80s X-men comics, but Alpha Flight sucked enough that no one really gave a poo poo when Bendis killed them all off panel in his New Avengers, and no one cared when they came back with no explanation.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Guy Goodbody posted:

OK, so 130 issues of Alpha Flight for 20 bucks was not the great deal I assumed it to be

Read all of it and report back. I never read it, I mostly know of it because of when they hosed around with Wolverine and the whole "one of the first gay characters in comics is retconed into a literal fairy, then dies of AIDS" thing.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

I've been hearing Stan Lee had to cancel some appearances because he's sick... :(

I love the man and I'll be sad when the inevitable happens, but it's not like he hasn't had a full life.

Here's him dunking on some lovely artists.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmLFGWAyajU&t=3s

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Madkal posted:

I wore a Spiderman costume at a Purim party tonight (think Jewish Halloween) and one person asked to see my face less she call the cops and two others said I looked scary. I now see why people hate Spiderman

People who forget the hyphen in Spider-Man should be arrested.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Rhyno posted:

John Byrne stealth account sited.

Ew, gross. Please just call me a motherfucker instead,

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

https://twitter.com/otolythe/status/841339449959145473

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Heathen posted:

During Bendis' run on Avengers when they added Ares to the team I distinctly remember Tony and Carol nervously wondering to themselves if they were flirting with each other while discussing needing new members.

... a Wolverine and a Thor?...

That was a specific thing Bendis did in Mighty Avengers that no one else was doing at the time, or had done for decades, the Wolverine ongoing that started in '88 used captions instead of thought bubbles, so I'm guessing the split started sometime in the mid 80's.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

END ME SCOOB posted:

NAMOR'S LAW IS MARITIME LAW, ALL THE TIME

I don't actually know if that's how maritime law works, I'm just thinking of old comedy bits

That's my he's got that gold belt at the top of his Speedo.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Guy Goodbody posted:

I'm 15 minutes into Iron Fist and it's kinda really terrible

Okay, when people have watched an episode or two (really one episode is all you owe a tv show) I get it if you don't like it and want to express that. But poo poo like this just makes me think you're watching the show while also browsing the forums, which means you're not actually watching the show.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

PunkBoy posted:

Someone pointed out the Iron Fist sale on Comixology, so I had to go get the Immortal Iron Fist series. Is the recent Power Man and Iron Fist series worth getting as well?

It's pretty fun, If Matt Fraction's Defenders is on there I'd make it a higher priority though.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

I thought guests were the ones who are supposed to bring gifts.

I mean you're already paying for the loving wedding.

He's talking about the wedding party, groomsmen and bridesmaids get gifts, usually worth a lot less than whatever your wedding party spent to be there for your special day.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Guy Goodbody posted:

I love comic books so much

Kinda understand why Bendis killed most of them off panel in New Avengers.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

purple death ray posted:

I think that a six-asterisk footnote across a single page of comics should legitimately get recognized by some kind of governing body. If that means they get put in the Guinness Book or if it means they get an Eisner, I'm fine either way.

I think the relevant governing body would be the court at The Hague.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I thought the Iron Man / Old Man America fight was a bit of a wet fart of an ending compared to everything else that was going on. Was one of the only bits of Hickman's run I haven't liked so far (halfway through Secret Wars and tie-ins).
It's a great palette cleanser.

I think Hickman knew he was gonna end the run with Steve Rogers and Tony Stark locked in combat, but didn't know Steve Rogers was gonna be old and Tony Stark was gonna be a sociopath by the time he got to the end.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Rhyno posted:

I think he was a bit annoyed by that. At the conference when they plotted the road to Secret Wars they didn't even have AXIS on the table yet.

I would be too, but I'll admit that I kinda liked Superior Iron-Man and wouldn't have minded that book sticking around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Rhyno posted:

Anybody got a link to PAD's GFM? I'm curious.

Apparently not curious enough to type Peter David Go Fund Me into google, but here
https://www.gofundme.com/peter-david-needs-your-help

• Locked thread