Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib

So here is the March thread and it is a very important thread because it is for March and March is the month of my birth! So very important indeed. To celebrate this month here are some facts that you might not know about me:

1. Madkal likes to read good comics
2. Madkal comes from Southern Africa
3. Madkal would say that his favourite character is Batman but deep down he knows it's WIld Dog.
4. Madkal has swam with dolphins and sharks
5. Madkal has a copy of Spawn number 1 which is missing it's cover
6. Madkal likes beer and comics (but not at the same time)
7. Madkal wants you to read good comics.

So there you go. Now you can used this discussion thread to discuss all things Madkal, as I am sure you want to do. If you don't want to discuss all things me though, I guess you can use this thread to discuss other things (even comic book related).

Also read good comics!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Spilling good beer on a good comic is a waste of both things. Also the more I drink the harder it is to follow the panels on the page.

Also good comics have been shown to improve your health.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Endless Mike posted:

Oh, sorry about your poor motor control, I guess.

This is me. Except with beer and comics

Also thanks.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Next time.you feel like that just think to yourself that you can't die until you know for certain whether I named one of my future children after you. Let that question keep you going.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I own Lobo Paramilitary Christmas special and I still love it. I used to own Lobocop as well but I think I lost that one a long time ago.
I would probably pick up any Lobo trade DC would release but clearly they don't want my money.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Gavok posted:

I just spent a week in Orlando with four days in Disney and two days in Universal. As always, the Marvel section of Universal's Island of Adventure fascinates me. Mainly because of the Disney/Marvel deal that happened about ten years after the fact and how everything still coexists.

Also because the Spider-Man ride has the bizarre choice of a Sinister Syndicate line-up where it's Doc Ock, Hobgoblin, Hydroman, Electro and... Scream for some reason. As in the female symbiote character from Venom: Lethal Protector. The lady that looks like Carnage and Medusa had a kid. The villain who appeared in a handful of comics in the early-to-mid-90s along with one video game, then didn't appear again until about 15 years later for the sake of being killed off by Eddie Brock. They must have really been desperate for female representation on the Spider-villains front.

Because of Disney/Marvel, Islands of Adventure has almost completely been unchanged over the last decade. A couple rides got refurbished and they updated the costume for the guy walking around as Cyclops, but the whole place is drowning in 90's superhero art. Meanwhile, not a single reference anywhere to Iron Man because back in 1999, that's how little a poo poo anyone gave about Iron Man. They have a giant billboard-sized cutout of MODOK, but no Iron Man.

Meanwhile, Disney includes a quick clip of Guardians of the Galaxy during the montage at the end of the Great Movie Ride and is currently replacing Disneyland's Tower of Terror with a Guardians ride because that whole franchise became a thing after Universal had any chance to make any claim on it. You can have Gamoras walking around a Disney park but no Captain Americas.

Interesting that they wouldn't include Shriek instead for a female villain as she was definitely more memorable in the 90's than Scream.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I just saw Stan get interviewed last week at ECCC by Todd MacFarlane and it was the highlight of the show. Stan was sharp and funny and I wish him well, because it will be a sad day when he passes.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Signed stuff is always personalised for me or family/friends. gently caress the idea of flipping.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I wore a Spiderman costume at a Purim party tonight (think Jewish Halloween) and one person asked to see my face less she call the cops and two others said I looked scary. I now see why people hate Spiderman

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
It's me. I'm Stan Lee. Just don't tell that Stanley Lieber guy.

Honestly, please don't die Stan Lee.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Some days I just wonder what the he'll ever happened to Harvey comics and will kids today know who Casper the Ghost was? Then I feel old.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Is there a definitive year in which comics got rid of thought bubbles in favour of captions? One thing I love about reading old comics is the thought bubbles that always seemed more personal than a caption which could either be used for first person or third person narration.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

omnibobb posted:

Yo, does anyone have any those plastic Green Lantern rings they were giving out a couple years ago laying around? My kids and I have been playing Green Lantern lately and I wanna get us rings of our own, but they are going for like 7 bucks each on Amazon. I'm down to pay shipping and a few bucks for the rings, but not 7 + 6 shipping that it'll be there.

I made a Green Lantern battery using the instructions here for my niece. She wasn't too impressed but your son might be. It was quite easy to make and I didn't really use everything recommended.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I told my fiance that if we have any kids I would name one of them Jethro but it isn't because I give a flying gently caress about Deathstroke's son.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I am looking to find some place online that sells standard superhero emblem t-shirts for my wedding and it is proving to be a pain in the rear end. Some sellers sell some shirts and not others, quite a few are asking for 20 bucks and up which would be okay but that is going to add up very quickly, and other places do silly things with the emblems when all I need is plain Batman, Superman, Aquaman, Green Lantern, and Flash emblems on a shirt. Anyone know a good website that isn't superhero stuff to order some superhero t-shirts?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
The idea was to give them as a gift for the groomsmen (as we are all pretty big comic book nerds). That combined with flasks as we are all big comic book nerds who drink as well.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

CapnAndy posted:

Here's basically all the logo tees you need, man, and be grateful because I went to loving hot topic dot com to get that link for you.

Much appreciated on the sacrifice made. I got a chuckle when the first pop-up was for a Nirvana shirt.

Aphrodite posted:

If that doesn't work those mall kiosks that are everywhere will do whatever you want, I think.

Sadly don't have many of those that do that where I live.

I am thinking I might just go to a custom shirt pressing place. Probably will be the cheapest option.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Endless Mike posted:

How many groomsmen do you have that $50 a pop adds up quickly?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Lurdiak posted:

I thought guests were the ones who are supposed to bring gifts.

I mean you're already paying for the loving wedding.

I hear you but the amount of stuff that comes with paying for the wedding. My fiance is freaking out about having to pay for her bridesmaids make up and hair as is.

I figured we would all wear superhero t-shirts under our tuxes and that would be it. Haven't really considered renting the tuxes as well but could possibly budget for it. Also there is already a fine bottle of whisky to go along with the flasks.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Lurdiak posted:

I just threw a Mr. A comic at someone going on on twitter about how nazis totally have freedom of speech and we should try to reach a middle ground with them. Ha ha ha.

Something something my grandfather didn't go to Normandy to talk to Nazis something something.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

RandallODim posted:

Is your grandpa Jack Kirby

As much as I loved my granfather I do wish Jack Kirby was my Grandfather.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

X-O posted:

Oh I know this one!

What is the Summers Family?

Alternate answer: clone saga.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

trashbuilder posted:

I have a pretty good feeling Comics Alliance is going to be an April fools joke, but i am also often wrong

One of my co workers writes for them and she mentioned on Facebook that she just posted her last article so it sounds legit.

• Locked thread