Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

CapnAndy posted:

Look, Nintendo would like to make another Metroid, it's just that they already covered how all women exist only to bear children and find ultimate self-realization through having babies while any rejection of that bio-truth is pure evil. It's not their fault that they've already addressed the totality of the female human experience and there's no other facets to address.

Other M was a franchise killer, sorry

I have no idea how, at the very least, that scene at the ending where Adam stops her from going into FakeTourian and instead ejects the final level into the sun in favour of a Metal Gear-rear end ending got past ANYone at Nintendo. Team Ninja, sure, they animated their monsters, flips, and made sure Samus had bomb-rear end bouncing titties, so their job was done, but how the gently caress do you let that design choice get beyond even just a document.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Team Ninja wasn't the problem at all, and actively tried to fix Sakamoto's fuckups.

ImpAtom posted:

Team Ninja is on record that they were shut down when they tried to make better gameplay decisions

Can I ask for some sources/links? I know they basically washed their hands of the story, but I've never heard any statement giving examples of things they weren't allowed to do, certainly nothing like Retro's mentioning that they weren't allowed to actually have Samus as a bounty hunter in any meaningful way because Nintendo didn't seem to understand what the phrase means in the West.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Doctor Spaceman posted:

There was a good Let's Play done a few years back that had a section with interviews and dev comments.

Team Ninja kept wanting a less stupid control system but Sakamoto insisted they not use the nunchuk because ~reasons~.

Thanks for this. I think one of the more telling elements is him admitting he barely has any awareness of Prime, (or ANY first person or even 3D games, by the sounds of it)

One or two of the elements he mentions for the story make sense the way they're phrased in the quotes, but not in the way they came out in game. Samus being crap at relationships or everyday social interaction is actually a fine concept and could be played for equal parts comedy and pathos, but that's not what was shown.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

CapnAndy posted:

Yes, no, and I guess yes since there's an upcoming event based on all the other heroes finding out and going to war with Cap over it I can't imagine he stays Hydra by the time it's done.

I assume Sam and/or Bucky beat him back to sense. Maybe holo-ghost Tony is involved.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
There was a short lived Alpha Flight series in the late-2000s (maybe early 2010s?) which is kind of topical now because the bad guy is basically using the Purple Girl to brainwash Canada into a super-conservative fascist state, including turning Northstar's husband against them (in a VERY unsubtle anti-gay conversion allegory), and trying to make Aurora's 'good girl' personality betray the team for being immoral heathens.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I didn't hate America #1 but it very much reads like a novelist's first attempt at a comic script, and I mean FIRST, like first draft. I'm not sure the editor even looked at it before passing it on to Quinones. It reeks of trying to do what she'd normally take 5 or 6 chapters to do in prose, in 5 or 6 PAGES of comic, basically the opposite of decompression, so nothing gets developed except in the briefest of terms. It's the same feeling I got from TNC's Black Panther, but more pronounced, because he had a very defined context for the character to start with, with the Hickman stuff as a base, and had a better grounding in the MU, wheras Rivera felt like she wasn't confident enough in dealing with all the wider universe stuff, so she ditched it.

I mean, beyond Prodigy existing there, I would have had NO idea the college existed in 616, and there's really no reason it needs to. Hell, there's no reason for the breakup because long-distance is meaningless when you can punch portals across loving dimensions and move nearly faster than light. That smacks of not wanting to deal with a thing Ewing set up.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Doesn't include the 4th nephew Phooey, table is invalid.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Gavok posted:

I want an Oompa Loompa. Now!

Looks like we've got a bad egg here, folks!

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Lurdiak posted:

It was the critics, not the internet, that said it was real real lame.

Even then it was classic "GTA 12 given a 7/10 by Gamespot, is worst game every made" hyperbole.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

My Lovely Horse posted:

I've never been able to make it through a whole season of these Marvel shows so while I'm not hating it after episode 2 I also don't have very high hopes. I would have higher hopes if they hadn't already repeated the plane crash flashback like five or six times.

Why are seasons still a fixed number of episodes in the age of Netflix? They're produced with binge watching in mind every step of the way, might as well cut the fat and make them 6 or 7 episodes instead of padding them all to hell with repetitive flashbacks and "let me explain what I can do" exposition. Although in that regard they're at least fully in line with classic comics writing; maybe I'm just sensitized to it at the moment but it does stand out.

Well, in the Marvel case, it's because the deal was for a fixed number of hours of content over the duration of the contract.

In the general sense, it's because most of this content is made for US based companies and the perception of a 'season' of TV in the US is still something in the double-digit number of episodes. Plus some other shows handle things better, like Kimmy Schmidt, which only really had one big misfire last season out of 13 episodes.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

PunkBoy posted:

Someone pointed out the Iron Fist sale on Comixology, so I had to go get the Immortal Iron Fist series. Is the recent Power Man and Iron Fist series worth getting as well?

It's pretty decent, but VERY different in tone to IIF. It's also a little sexist, honestly, given how Jessica's used and the one really cringeworthy appearance by Black Cat. I did like Cage calling Songbird for help during CW2, though, it was a nice callback to the Jeff Parker Thunderbolts and it makes sense they'd keep in touch, as superhero ex-cons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Which is following up on his appearance in Jason Aaron's Wolverine In Hell story, I believe.

I also like how that original Alpha Flight post includes Purple Girl, AKA the Purple Man's daughter by a Canadian lady he raped with his powers, and she's the least crazy part of it.

• Locked thread