Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Hi, I'm reading old X-Men comics and I have a question: at what point roughly did writing guidelines in comics shift away from constant expository and explanatory dialogue, magically changing into costume and using terms like magnetism and telekinesis as catch-all justifications for superpowers because as much as I want to get to grips with some superhero history I don't think I can take much more of this. Maybe it's just the concentrated dose.

it's some time after 1981 I have gathered that much

My Lovely Horse fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Mar 14, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Well I'll keep going and maybe Claremont had an epiphany at some point.

Or at least stops sending the team to space. Love the space art, hate the space storylines, but did suddenly understand the joke behind that plot arc in Morrison's Doom Patrol.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Roth posted:

I feel like Watchmen also lacked thought bubbles, but there might still be a few in there.
Imagine Watchmen written in overexpository mid-70s style. Kovacs walks by on the very first page with his sign and there's a thought bubble "No one must know I'm really Rorschach - and thanks to my mask made of black and white fluids between latex, they won't!"

Days of Future Past was pretty good and Claremont seems to tone it down a little after that but now that I've read it I've kind of lost all interest in this project and want to skip straight to Morrison's run.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I've never been able to make it through a whole season of these Marvel shows so while I'm not hating it after episode 2 I also don't have very high hopes. I would have higher hopes if they hadn't already repeated the plane crash flashback like five or six times.

Why are seasons still a fixed number of episodes in the age of Netflix? They're produced with binge watching in mind every step of the way, might as well cut the fat and make them 6 or 7 episodes instead of padding them all to hell with repetitive flashbacks and "let me explain what I can do" exposition. Although in that regard they're at least fully in line with classic comics writing; maybe I'm just sensitized to it at the moment but it does stand out.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Iron Fist episode 3: good thing there's an explosion alarm, but no fire alarm, in this archive

What's starting to get to me about this show is how the fight scenes are filmed and edited like bog standard brawl scenes. All I can think of whenever one comes on is this Every Frame A Painting. If you're bringing a superhero to the screen who was born out of the mid 70s martial arts craze, and you don't do martial arts film fight scenes, you've already hosed up the fundamental concept beyond redemption.

e: they had RZA direct an episode? Okay, I'm sticking it out at least until that one.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

That's the exact one that finally made me think of Every Frame. And then they had the fight club and all I could think of was Ong-Bak.

I still feel like Batman Begins is at least partially to blame for establishing super close up, heavily edited fight scenes and showing that you can get away with it.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Guy Goodbody posted:

Isn't Danny Rand supposed to be a kung fu master? Why does he fight like that?
ironfistshow.txt

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I mostly named Batman because I remember the marketing at the time made a semi-big thing out of giving Bruce Wayne a very distinct fighting style and how there was going to be impressive hand-to-hand combat, and after all that, seeing it on the big screen was decidedly an "uhm" moment. By the time Dark Knight Rises came around they again talked up Bane's fighting style and I just thought "yeah not falling for that again." Editing to enhance action scenes is fine and a lot of perfectly good movies do the thing where you don't see an impact, but thanks to good editing you think you did. It's when you cobble a fight scene together entirely out of individual moves and stunts, while having thematic ties to a genre that lives off "legitimate" fight scenes, that things start to stink.

So, what Iron Fist comics are good? I actually know next to nothing about him, just how the idea for him came up and that he showed up occasionally in the Spider-Man comics I read as a kid, which isn't exactly a unique selling point (I imagine there was a line).

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Endless Mike posted:

Immortal Iron Fist by Fraction, Brubaker, and Aja.
Sweet. Specifically the Fraction/Brubaker/Aja half of the run, I take it?

Episode 4: reporter lady it is 2017 there is the internet. Also it's actually getting kind of sad how the show is obviously trying to hit all the standard kung fu staples but the fight scenes themselves are just kinda there.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Endless Mike posted:

No, no, keep reading after Brubaker leaves.
Cheers.

That synth theme they have in Iron Fist feels really out of place too. I keep thinking I'm watching Stranger Things.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

They live forever, you know. You're only multiplying the trauma by however many people take care of her after you die.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Sure but that just seems like bad value for money.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Iron Fist episode 5: still holding out to see what RZA makes of this, but if I wasn't, this is where I would have quit. When I want corporate legal drama I pick up a John Grisham novel.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Episode 6: okay this was actually pretty decent. RZA knows what he's doing; specifically I got the impression that he knew exactly what level of martial arts aptitude he could count on and staged the fight scenes accordingly. Good episode.

It's gonna be downhill all the way from here, isn't it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Episode 7: I expect Ward to start talking about Huey Lewis and the News any second.

These Marvel shows shift gear a lot, don't they? Set up a conflict, build it up for one or two episodes, then, bang, it's resolved and there's a new status quo before you blink. At times it feels like they dug out rejected scripts and shoehorned in Danny Rand and a fight scene (it definitely did with ep 5). And they love killing off central characters mid season, which would work better as a watercooler moment if they didn't release the whole season at once. I'm wary of what's to come since this is the exact thing that ruined Luke Cage for me.

• Locked thread