Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Rhyno posted:

Matt Wagner just announced the final chapter of Mage, The Hero Denied, will debut this summer. I've been waiting almost my entire adult life for this.

I can't wait to see how old as hell Kevin Matchstick looks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

purple death ray posted:

Claremont is good. Sorry BSS

Claremont is your dad who was an activist in the 60s, 70s and early 80s yeah he was involved in free love poo poo but he totally was actually politically active as well and doesn't quite understand modern social justice concepts but really enjoys listening to you talk about them.

Lightning Lord fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Mar 14, 2017

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

purple death ray posted:

I want to clarify the line, "sorry BSS", I'm not apologizing for thinking Claremont rules, I'm expressing condolences to you all for not realizing that Claremont rules.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Guy Goodbody posted:

Why do you guys hate Alpha Flight? I'm only a dozen issues in, and I kinda love it. It's just so goofy. Between Alpha Flight and Letterkenny, I think I'm becoming a weeaboo but for Canada instead of Japan

Byrne's run is actually pretty solid, aside from Byrneisms like his :airquote:subtle:airquote: signalling that Northstar is gay. After he leaves it pretty much falls apart, and Bill Mantlo's run is absolutely the worst thing he ever wrote, saying that as a fan btw. It's worth looking at for the Mike Mignola art though.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

joehonkie posted:

Claremont Zone

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

RandallODim posted:

This is fantastic and I'm so happy to have had it introduced to my life.

:hfive:

joehonkie posted:

One of my local comic shops has a huge box of Legion flight rings because nobody wants a Legion flight ring.

I want to be Giffen-era Mon-El so yes I would like one, even though I wouldn't need it.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

My friend watched it and says it's basically Nolan Batman, except Batman is kind of a leftist instead of an authoritarian prick and occasionally a scene from a kung fu movie is spliced in. This was a negative criticism btw.

People really cared about the handful of boardroom stuff in Immortal Iron Fist and didn't care about stuff like him beating up a roomful of Hydra agents or fighting in a cosmic version of Enter the Dragon at all!

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Teenage Fansub posted:

Bernie Wrightson just passed too :(
https://www.facebook.com/157503094275422/photos/a.362459693779760.105656.157503094275422/1873624719329909/?type=3&theater

edit: And this is with Len Wein just getting over some major surgery. It would've been something to lose both Swamp Thing creators.

RIP, Bernie. Swamp Thing is one of my favorite comics, both the original and Moore versions. Frankenstein is brilliant. I'm sure people will post tons of his best work but while he was the master of horror he was also a really funny guy. Like he did Hulk/Thing - The Big Change and the Heavy Metal strip Captain Sternn, one of the features chosen for the movie. Funny poo poo. Dude was super versatile. An all-star illustrator, he'll be missed.

Guy Goodbody posted:

I found out why that massive Alpha Flight bundle I bought ended at issue 105. Issue 106 is literally the only rare or valuable issue of Alpha Flight, because it's the one where Northstar comes out

It's also loving awful, this is the panel where he comes out

PunkBoy posted:

Someone pointed out the Iron Fist sale on Comixology, so I had to go get the Immortal Iron Fist series. Is the recent Power Man and Iron Fist series worth getting as well?

Ya. If you don't have it get the original PM&IF series too.

Lightning Lord fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Mar 20, 2017

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Gaz-L posted:

It's pretty decent, but VERY different in tone to IIF. It's also a little sexist, honestly, given how Jessica's used and the one really cringeworthy appearance by Black Cat. I did like Cage calling Songbird for help during CW2, though, it was a nice callback to the Jeff Parker Thunderbolts.

Yeah I was disappointed by Jessica. Has she ever really been written well outside of Alias?

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

joehonkie posted:

Mr Hootington, pubic works project, bobkatt013, Lightning Lord, do you still want Legion Flight Rings?

Ugh, I don't have PMs so I must divulge PERSONAL INFORMATION. I knew this was a bad plan.

Nah, I already have one. It was just anger about you disrespecting the future's greatest heroes.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

I'm gonna name my next kid Seven.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

*whistles and draws a 7 in the air with index finger*

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Timeless Appeal posted:

Do you think Nick Cage forgot that he could have just named his son Clark?

Or Kal without the "-El"?

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

A friend of mine had a normal wedding, but the groomsmen (I was not one, I did the ceremony :getin:) wore superhero ties.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Ties are better. At least for regular suits.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

*most popular Iron Fist comic, full of fights, pulp action and mystical happenings has like five pages tops of business drama*

*show adapted from it has multiple business and courtroom scenes, also fighting scenes are real bad*

:smuggo:

Makes sense.

Lightning Lord fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Mar 22, 2017

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

CA had basically become a repository for Sims articles with reposted content from TownSquare's other sites, which are worthless garbage dumps. They still did the occasional good essay from other people. I feel bad for Kieran Shiach. If this is legit I'll miss them (again)

Lightning Lord fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Mar 31, 2017

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

where the gently caress am I going to read about Sims discovering the wonders of Sonic comics now?!?

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Gavok posted:

I have some good friends there, so that sucks. Especially since Chris is about to get married and stuff :(

I didn't know he was marrying Aidan, congrats to him. At least he's still writing for Marvel...

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Guy Goodbody posted:

Old 2000 AD comics can be pretty racist :(

Which ones in particular are you talking about?

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

I read the Eagle reprints of Robo-Hunter at a real young age and noticed absolutely none of that most likely because I had no idea what racist caricatures were at like 7

Sure hated that cigar though

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Senior Woodchuck posted:

So some people in a Facebook group I'm in are twisting themselves into knots trying to turn Peter David's "I'd Rather the IRS Not Take My House" GoFundMe into an excuse to call him a shithead, and I want to punch through the loving universe like Superboy Prime.

So you're saying he doesn't want to live like a gypsy Roma?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Gavok posted:

Well. This is awkward.

I think that guy is actually Superboy Prime. Looks like in our reality he got sentenced to post on SA instead of DC's now non-existent forums

• Locked thread