Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
The comic shop near me is having a half off back issues sale. I picked up the complete run of Amethyst Princess of Gemworld. I'm a big fan of those weird 12 issue series DC used to run, like Outcasts or Camelot 3000. On a whim, I also got Alpha Flight

All of Alpha Flight

I don't know anything about Alpha Flight, is it any good?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rhyno posted:

Jesus God no.

Skwirl posted:

Alpha Flight sucked

OK, so 130 issues of Alpha Flight for 20 bucks was not the great deal I assumed it to be

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Oh bullshit, it's not even the whole series. It's just 1-105 and both annuals. I'ts missing the last 25 issues. I got ripped off.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

pubic works project posted:

Are you in Indianapolis? My comic shop had that same sale! Picked up a ton of Batman and Detective to make a huge dent in what I need to complete a post-COIE collection.

Naw, Texas

pubic works project posted:

No idea what he's talking about. But I read it and it's just lovely.

I think he mean's the groan-worthy attempts to be "woke" like the kids. Like when America says, "An alien made of pure white light? Well, white is just the absence of color, so I'm gonna punch it with my brown fist!"

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Soonmot posted:

It's gorgeous and the comic is fine, just a bit disjointed and rushed. The biggest problem I had was America breaking up with her girl friend and some of the dialogue. As far as first issues go, it's got me looking forward to number two.

That breakup scene was the worst. She breaks up with her girlfriend because she can't handle a long-distance relationship, and then teleports away using her teleportation powers. That should've been hilarious, I don't know how they hosed that joke up.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
John Wagner and Alan Grant wrote a Lobo mini-series called Unamerican Gladiators that served as a sequel to their max-series The Outcasts and had covers by Mike Mignola. DC has never reprinted it or collected it in a trade. DC is a jerk

It also featured my new favorite DC villain, Wolfman Marv.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Stan Lee's name is public domain, anybody can change their name to Stan Lee.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Alaois posted:

Stan Lee died in a car accident in 1972, the Stan Lee we've seen since then is a very dedicated double. Why do you think he stopped writing comics that year?

Because he fell in love with the superior medium, anime. Have you not seen Heroman?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I just read the best costume origin story ever. When mild-mannered college student Carol Connor was scratched by a science cat, she gained the abilities of a cat and became the superhero Cat Claw. She stole some metal cloth from the school, but only enough to make boots, gloves, and a mask. She also stole her roommates tights, because her roommate apparently tore her tights a lot so always had spares and wouldn't notice if some went missing. The final piece of the costume was a bikini she had been given as a gift but refused to wear because it was too revealing. After all, if everyone knew Carol Connor would never wear such a small bikini, no one would ever suspect that she could be Cat Claw!

Guy Goodbody fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Mar 14, 2017

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
It's honestly not a terrible comic. Cat Claw was meant to be Yugoslavia's Spider-Man, so she's got that fun jokey personality. They made her a college student instead of a high school student so she could be nude a lot.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I knew the Canadians had a hand in it

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
When the Alpha Flight member Snowbird was born, because she was half magic, Shaman had to tether her soul to the Earth in order for her to take physical form. But he hosed up, and tethered her soul specifically to Canada. So if Snowbird ever steps outside the Canadian border, she will die.

Why do you guys hate Alpha Flight? I'm only a dozen issues in, and I kinda love it. It's just so goofy. Between Alpha Flight and Letterkenny, I think I'm becoming a weeaboo but for Canada instead of Japan

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
It's hosed that Namor is banging Marina even though she's like 16, but that's Namor I guess

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm 15 minutes into Iron Fist and it's kinda really terrible

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Skwirl posted:

Okay, when people have watched an episode or two (really one episode is all you owe a tv show) I get it if you don't like it and want to express that. But poo poo like this just makes me think you're watching the show while also browsing the forums, which means you're not actually watching the show.

That post was motivated by my genuine shock at the moment where a random homeless man just walks up to Danny and says "hey I got a cell phone, do you need to google anything?"

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I found out why that massive Alpha Flight bundle I bought ended at issue 105. Issue 106 is literally the only rare or valuable issue of Alpha Flight, because it's the one where Northstar comes out

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Lightning Lord posted:

It's also loving awful, this is the panel where he comes out

I'm like, 80 issues away from that, so I can't comment on the issue as a whole or that panel in context. But by itself, I like it. I'm tired of characters coming out over a kitchen table. They're superheroes, if they're gonna reveal their homosexuality, I want them to do it in the same way they reveal a new super power; mid-battle, catching the bad guy by surprise and winning the day.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Isn't Danny Rand supposed to be a kung fu master? Why does he fight like that?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Aphrodite posted:

How could Wolfsbane have fans?

Scottish furries

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Don't make your wedding into a celebration of Time Warner intellectual properties, man. Just have a regular wedding.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Just get them bottles of good scotch or something

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Poor Aurora :( Life just shits on her constantly.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ghostlight posted:

It's free speech not equal speech.

I think it should be equal speech. I think everybody should get an equal amount of speech. If you use it all up really fast, too bad, you don't get to express any more opinions.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I love comic books so much

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm about 50 issues into Alpha Flight, and I gotta be honest with you guys, I love it. They are all terrible. They're the worst superheroes. I'm not exaggerating when I say they spend most of their time, a clear majority of their superheroing, on preventing their own members from going evil.

Skwirl posted:

Kinda understand why Bendis killed most of them off panel in New Avengers.

Because Bendis is a hack?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Old 2000 AD comics can be pretty racist :(

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Lightning Lord posted:

Which ones in particular are you talking about?

Robo Hunter. I found all three volumes in a used book store, which is great because it's so rare to find 2000 AD stuff in America. but then I started reading it and, yikes. For instance, Sam's Cuban robo-cigar,

And I couldn't find any images of them online, but Ian Gibson draws some pretty drat adorable incredibly offensive Japanese caricatures.

aside from that tho, it's not bad

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I couldn't find a picture of the Japanese caricatures, but the robo-rabbi should give you an idea

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Let's just switch to the French Revolutionary Calendar. Somebody start the Germinal thread

• Locked thread