Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

I just spent a week in Orlando with four days in Disney and two days in Universal. As always, the Marvel section of Universal's Island of Adventure fascinates me. Mainly because of the Disney/Marvel deal that happened about ten years after the fact and how everything still coexists.

Also because the Spider-Man ride has the bizarre choice of a Sinister Syndicate line-up where it's Doc Ock, Hobgoblin, Hydroman, Electro and... Scream for some reason. As in the female symbiote character from Venom: Lethal Protector. The lady that looks like Carnage and Medusa had a kid. The villain who appeared in a handful of comics in the early-to-mid-90s along with one video game, then didn't appear again until about 15 years later for the sake of being killed off by Eddie Brock. They must have really been desperate for female representation on the Spider-villains front.

Because of Disney/Marvel, Islands of Adventure has almost completely been unchanged over the last decade. A couple rides got refurbished and they updated the costume for the guy walking around as Cyclops, but the whole place is drowning in 90's superhero art. Meanwhile, not a single reference anywhere to Iron Man because back in 1999, that's how little a poo poo anyone gave about Iron Man. They have a giant billboard-sized cutout of MODOK, but no Iron Man.

Meanwhile, Disney includes a quick clip of Guardians of the Galaxy during the montage at the end of the Great Movie Ride and is currently replacing Disneyland's Tower of Terror with a Guardians ride because that whole franchise became a thing after Universal had any chance to make any claim on it. You can have Gamoras walking around a Disney park but no Captain Americas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

CapnAndy posted:

Yeah, Universal has the theme park rights I think literally east of the Mississippi? It's really arbitrarily geography-based, I remember that much. But Disney is barred by contract from doing Marvel poo poo in their own parks because Marvel sold those exclusive rights to Universal (and Universal's giving them up as much as Fox is gonna give back Fantastic Four or the X-Men, and for the same reasons).

Disney is barred from using the Marvel name as well as anyone who's part of the X-Men, Avengers, Fantastic Four and Spider-Man corners of Marvel. And I guess Daredevil too, since there's a Nelson & Murdock sign thrown in there. Guardians of the Galaxy is a special exclusion because the concept, at least as we know it, came to be well after the Universal contract happened. Disney is able to have people dress up as the characters, insert GotG footage into the Great Movie Ride, show sneak previews of the movies and even do a GotG ride itself, but they have to handle it as its own thing. In other words, it's "Guardians of the Galaxy" and not "Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy."

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

joehonkie posted:

I just remember he did a few stories in Marvel's Star Wars and (aside from other problems they had that weren't his fault) the walls of text encircling every panel made it clear you had just entered the Claremont Zone.

He's like the poster child of show don't tell.

Claremont wrote a comic in 1999 called Contest of Champions II and it involved him writing Deadpool. It meant wall-to-wall words.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

I want an Oompa Loompa. Now!

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

New Episode of Death Battle: Venom vs. Bane

Venom sounds like a possessed Charles Nelson Reilly at times, but it's all good.

Gavok fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Mar 22, 2017

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Unlucky7 posted:

So, the writers at comics alliance on twitter are saying that the site has been put "on hiatus". So basically it's gone again :(

I am holding out for early April Fools joke, but I know it is very far off.

I have some good friends there, so that sucks. Especially since Chris is about to get married and stuff :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Senior Woodchuck posted:

So some people in a Facebook group I'm in are twisting themselves into knots trying to turn Peter David's "I'd Rather the IRS Not Take My House" GoFundMe into an excuse to call him a shithead, and I want to punch through the loving universe like Superboy Prime.

Superboy-Prime posted:

Well maybe he should just make more comics or something. He shouldn't beg the internet for money because of his lovely financial planning.

Well. This is awkward.

• Locked thread