Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Nintendo at least does a better job at backwards compatibility than those other fucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Gaz-L posted:

Can I ask for some sources/links? I know they basically washed their hands of the story, but I've never heard any statement giving examples of things they weren't allowed to do, certainly nothing like Retro's mentioning that they weren't allowed to actually have Samus as a bounty hunter in any meaningful way because Nintendo didn't seem to understand what the phrase means in the West.

Just as an example, Team Ninja was told by That loving Jackass Sakamoto that the Gravity Suit being purplish pink looked weird and stupid, even though it had been that color since the very first game, so they were told to change it so that it isn't purple, resulting in the final game where the Gravity Suit isn't an actual suit but just an aura around the Varia suit. He was always constantly asking them to redo things like that and micromanaging every single decision they made, to the point that the only real creative freedom they were likely allowed was how much of Samus' nipple we can make out through the zero suit.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Rhyno posted:

Matt Wagner just announced the final chapter of Mage, The Hero Denied, will debut this summer. I've been waiting almost my entire adult life for this.

I've been waiting my entire life for River City Ransom Underground and these nerds are talking about Other M instead.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Are they still running with the "Steve Rogers. Agent of Hydra" thing? Is it actually working? Did they give themselves an out?

They're doing Secret Empire 2 soon, I imagine that's when it'll all shake out.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

While it's pretty dumb to freak out at a comic storyline changing a character as if it was going to be the status quo forever, it's probably pretty unwise and demoralizing to have Captain America be a nazi in the current political climate, especially if he's going to be written by Nick Spencer and give weird moralizing speeches to Tony Stark's corpse about how Hillary Clinton caused Benghazi or whatever that was about.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I always liked Alpha Flight, even if their ongoing was bad. They're from Canada, like me. :unsmith:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Is that the Marvel America comic or the weird knockoff version.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

That's too bad, I was hoping for it to be good.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Yeah that's like the opposite of what that word means.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Decius posted:

I surely said it in one of these threads already, but if Nazi Cap gives a weird speech about taking white economic anxiety seriously to the corpse of Tony Stark it probably isn't meant as an endorsement of this talking point. It is probably rather meant as showing a symptom of his Nazi-Hydra brainwashing thanks to Kobik.

I'm not inclined to give Nick "White Flight" Spencer that much credit.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Don't die, Len Wein.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Roth posted:

For some reason, writing two midterms today hurt like crazy to do. Like, it felt like my hand was burning while writing, and now I'm worried I'm starting to develop carpal tunnel or something.

I had multiple surgeries on my hand while I was in college. Tests were not a good time.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I've been hearing Stan Lee had to cancel some appearances because he's sick... :(

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I just don't see the point of an autographed thing if the autograph isn't a reminder of actually meeting the person. Otherwise it's just a dumb scribble.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Rhyno posted:

While I am often puzzled by it, a large chunk of my profit share checks come from people buying autographed things so I don't complain.

I wonder how many of those people are buying them just so they can sell them to other people who want to sell them, etc.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

That would explain the avatar.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Thanks to my transistor-powered computer, I'm able to answer you that it entirely depends on the writer/editor team of the comic and that people like Len Wein were writing in that style well into the late 80s.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

X-men in space is the circle of hell reserved for gamblers and cheats, I think.

X-men time travel is for child killers.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Gavok posted:

I want an Oompa Loompa. Now!

I want Gavok's Oompa Loompa!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

It was the critics, not the internet, that said it was real real lame.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Aw man. :( I really loved the art in those first 10 issues of Swamp Thing. It gave the story such a creepy vibe.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

My Lovely Horse posted:

What's starting to get to me about this show is how the fight scenes are filmed and edited like bog standard brawl scenes. All I can think of whenever one comes on is this Every Frame A Painting. If you're bringing a superhero to the screen who was born out of the mid 70s martial arts craze, and you don't do martial arts film fight scenes, you've already hosed up the fundamental concept beyond redemption.

https://twitter.com/BrianJNorris/status/843172574272114688

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Guy Goodbody posted:

Isn't Danny Rand supposed to be a kung fu master? Why does he fight like that?

Because they didn't bother hiring a fight choreographer.

But seriously the only thing I can figure is that no one in charge thought filming good fights was important. In a kung fu show.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Mar 20, 2017

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I'm gonna name my kid The Beyonder and my other kid The Living Tribunal.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Ghostlight posted:

My family name is also Blackagar.

If someone can tell me why I did this, I'd love to know.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Mar 21, 2017

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I thought guests were the ones who are supposed to bring gifts.

I mean you're already paying for the loving wedding.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I just threw a Mr. A comic at someone going on on twitter about how nazis totally have freedom of speech and we should try to reach a middle ground with them. Ha ha ha.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I don't have that mozilla plug-in.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Guy Goodbody posted:

I love comic books so much

This is some Poe's law poo poo if I ever saw it.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

We need to teach young stories that they don't need a time gap to be beautiful. Otherwise they'll adopt unhealthy subplots and grow up to have lame resolutions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Guy Goodbody posted:

Old 2000 AD comics can be pretty racist :(

Yeah. I went "Yikes!" a lot reading old progs. It's that typical type of British racism where they make a show of how they're totally ok with black people, unlike those dumb Americans, but then they'll caricature east asians, indians, middle easterners, etc. to a degree that competes with racist 4chan memes.

• Locked thread