Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
Liefeld was legit lovely at drawing feet. He hid them, obscured them, or found other ways of not including them in his drawings all the time. Long and short, anatomy is just not his strong suit. He was just a very produtive and dependable artist in an industry full of flaky people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Scratch Monkey posted:

He was just a very produtive and dependable artist in an industry full of flaky people.

Never, ever underestimate the importance of being someone who will just Do The drat Work, yeah. He’s also, by an account I’ve heard from someone who was speaking to a tiny audience with no reason to lie about it, just a genuinely nice guy.

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

Anonymous Zebra posted:

I know the "Liefeld is a terrible artist" meme is basically intractable on the internet at this point, but the dude absolutely can draw feet, but has always had a very niche style he likes to draw comics with that tends to not draw attention to the feet. The guy has had a very interesting career that goes far beyond the same couple of panels people always post, and if anyone is interested, you can actually learn about it here.

Yes, the store is more likely a homage to Deadpool's creator than a dig at Liefeld.

that video you linked was nice. i havent given a poo poo about comics in 25 years but when i did, i loved liefelds insane poo poo. but also it turned me off of comics because the writing was so thin haha. it was nice to learn that he is basically a good guy.

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
fuckin nerds

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer

Scratch Monkey posted:

Liefeld was legit lovely at drawing feet. He hid them, obscured them, or found other ways of not including them in his drawings all the time. Long and short, anatomy is just not his strong suit. He was just a very produtive and dependable artist in an industry full of flaky people.
Mignola is another artist who has cheerfully admitted he was terrible at drawing feet, and that's why a lot of his earlier work has e.g. lots of spooky swirling mist at ground level :allears:

Hollandia has a new favorite as of 04:49 on Apr 23, 2024

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Part of it was also the Xtreme '90s. Rule of kewl and all that, the market had yet to crash (assuming we're talking about pre-1995ish) so you had holo/foil covers and new #1s coming out continuously, and big guns/pouches/thigh & bicep bandoliers were all the rage -- and, at least for the rule of kewl and the guns/etc., those were right in Rob Liefeld's wheelhouse.

I don't think it's fair to say that the '90s favored bad art. Instead, and again this played to Liefeld's strengths, they favored dynamism above all else, at least in mainstream cape comics.

But I was out of comics for a good chunk of the 90s, only getting back in via a chance encounter with Morrison's JLA, so I'm not really the expert, and this has all been mostly picked up by osmosis, so I could be way off base.

Montague Tigg
Mar 23, 2008

Previously, on "Ronnie Likes Data":
the only negative thing I've ever seen about Rob Liefeld as a person was a video of him at a convention maybe possibly sorta being a dick in response to someone egging him on about feet or pouches. my conclusion after all the poo poo I've seen and read about him was we'll add things made by him is that Rob Liefeld is cool and good, his art is not. I think most people, myself included, are envious that he's gotten so far and had such a cool career on such little "talent".

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Hackers film 1995 posted:

that video you linked was nice. i havent given a poo poo about comics in 25 years but when i did, i loved liefelds insane poo poo. but also it turned me off of comics because the writing was so thin haha. it was nice to learn that he is basically a good guy.

Well, opinions on Liefeld are pretty mixed actually. He's a credit hog who was big on creators owning their creations instead of the bosses until he was a boss. Also his speed as an artist took a dive after he left Marvel. There was also the time he got in trouble for ripping off Captain America where Marvel had to threaten to sue him because it was so close.

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

muscles like this! posted:

Well, opinions on Liefeld are pretty mixed actually. He's a credit hog who was big on creators owning their creations instead of the bosses until he was a boss. Also his speed as an artist took a dive after he left Marvel. There was also the time he got in trouble for ripping off Captain America where Marvel had to threaten to sue him because it was so close.

yeah but in the grand scheme of modern celebrity assholes being sexpests and/or abusers thats pretty light. not giving credit to artists when due sucks though.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Admiralty Flag posted:

I don't think it's fair to say that the '90s favored bad art.

The 90s absolutely favored bad art.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
They favored bad Bart.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Talkin' about The Simpsons.

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

Heath posted:

Birds are cooler than dinosaurs. That's why birds are still around and dinosaurs aren't.

Raptors still exist. :colbert:

Velocity Raptor has a new favorite as of 01:56 on Apr 23, 2024

Liquid Chicken
Jan 25, 2005

GOOP
NWS for drawn ding-dong

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Liquid Chicken posted:

NWS for drawn ding-dong

As somebody that lived in Aroostook County, Maine being a smelly foot tracks.

Also as somebody that was born in Detroit, it also tracks that the city is the unwashed second (maybe even 3rd chin) of America.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WaJhpqAWjuE
This is a fun video.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
Liefeld's art isn't great, but he definitely does not suck as an artist, since he's massively successful and has created characters that still show up in media without significant alteration. He'd probably seem like an even nicer dude if he wasn't constantly being joked about.

The whole aesthetic he was a part of is just insane. I'm enjoying seeing it back a bit in X-Men '97, too. Which, if you at all enjoyed the originals or are an X-Men fan is fun as hell, in a deranged soap opera kind of way.

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Okay well me being wrong in some limited situations doesn't change my overall point.

thepopmonster posted:

Santa canonically drinks from a glass of milk

Beer, Santa canonically drinks a beer

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

muscles like this! posted:

Eh, he created Deadpool in that he designed the character but isn't responsible for anything that people actually like about Wade.

Not even the name, that was Fabian Nicieza who was taking the piss for Rob creating a palette swapped Deathstroke.

Amphigory
Feb 6, 2005

Tree Bucket posted:

NO ITS NOT

What was her rant like? Would you describe it as a nonsense verse or composition; a rigmarole with apparent meaning which proves to be meaningless?

I feel seen...

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Anyone whose favorite Deadpool is Daniel Way's should be put on a watchlist.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Anybody who likes Deadpool should be put on a watchlist.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

Byzantine posted:

Anybody who likes Deadpool should be put on a watchlist.

What about The Dead Pool, the 1988 film from the Dirty Harry series?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

kazil posted:

What about The Dead Pool, the 1988 film from the Dirty Harry series?

Seminal copaganda.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Seminal? Sounds like the cops made a bust.

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

“Is this some kinda bust?”
“Well, it’s very impressive, yes, but we need to ask you a few questions.”

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
I have a mental disorder where when I read stuff I unconsciously switch out the vowels for funnier ones, so Shatterstar is always going to be Shitterstore to me. Likewise is Shitterstack my go to for stock photography.

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

I am frequently incorrect too

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

thepopmonster posted:

The minimum size of an Olympic swimming pool is 50mx25mx2m deep (depth is minimum 2m, other dimensions are fixed). That's 660,430 gallons.

Santa canonically drinks from a glass of milk in each household he visits when it is left out for him; that's probably an average of at least 2 fl oz per glass, or 64 households/gallon, or at most 42 million milk-houses per swimming pool.

There are about 24m children 5 and under in the US this year. Two-or-more child households, lactose intolerance, and that only 75% of US households have a Christmas tree (presumably, those without a tree don't propriate Santa) cut the number of milk offerings down a bit, but if we assume 2.1 million households do this (slightly less than 1 in 10) then the US contribution to the Calculated Pool Index of Santa Swallowing is probably at least 0.05 pools/year, so Santa goes through a minimum of 5 pools/century.

It takes between 20-30 minutes for water to go from mouth to bladder, and Santa's schedule is very tight - he's not going to be able to stop for a break. Fortunately, we have documentation that Santa has a method for storing things that would otherwise be impossible to transport, so we can confidently conclude that Santa's pee is stored in his sacks.
They should have gone for 666,666 gallons

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

E:

BrianBoitano has a new favorite as of 21:42 on Apr 23, 2024

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

is this from bash.org?

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
They should be called armordillos.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Hell and drat being swear words is so adorably cute :kimchi:

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.

Tree Bucket posted:

They should be called armordildos.

ROFL

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

At least show some Liefeld atrocities

https://nerdist.com/article/rob-liefeld-infamous-big-chested-captain-america-art-up-for-auction/

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

You mean like this post?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Didn't someone identify the two separate Schwarzenegger photos that he was referencing from?

(they are from different angles)