Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Americans and their fingerguns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Samuringa posted:

Comic Publishers just don't give a poo poo.

I'm not sure why they would or should either. Comic books are like the lowest common denominator of story telling.

Complaining about lovely illustrations in comics is like complaining that the plot in your YA novel is reductive and cliche.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Guy Goodbody posted:

I'm actually gonna explain this one because it's important. Tokyo Story is a 1953 movie by acclaimed Japanese director Yasujiro Ozu. Widely considered his masterpiece and one of the greatest movies ever made, it's a slow moving, intimate portrayal of a family in post-war Japan. Like most Ozu movies, the major themes are conflict between the expectations of different generations, societal change, the inevitability of death, and the continuance of life.

Visually Ozu is famous for locked down, static shot. He rejected the dynamism of American cinema and instead aimed to draw the viewer into the simple domesticity of his scenes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_LXe4PIKtQ

Here is a poster for Tokyo Story

Now this is some top quality Guy Goodbody posting.

Bring back the rule.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Crain posted:

Who hurt you?

Nah he's right.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Mushika posted:

This person sounds very cool and good, and if Maggie doesn't agree, Maggie is a very silly person.

Based on the way it's described, something tells me that person doesn't have the self awareness required to make those things properly endearing. I suspect Maggie has her reasons.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

She also shoots a gun in that arena and rides around infalls out of a gunship. More butch than Holdo at least, but perhaps less butch than forest guerrilla Leia.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Please explain why you find that humorous.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Can we maybe not discuss the cosplayers and anime characters Guy Goodbody wants to gently caress?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

I feel like you could definitely gently caress someone up with that Cactus Club.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

I think it would best used as some sort of Atlatl.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Samuringa posted:

This one is very appropriate for a lot of threads

The Tingler got a second Hugo nom? That's good poo poo.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

If it makes you feel better, remember that when your plane crashes, it won't hurt. Yes, it will be terrifying as the increasingly severe turbulence shakes the plane until the lights are flickering on and off, and luggage is flying out of the overhead bins, which have burst open. Yes, when the pilot loses control, and the plane begins to plummet to earth, you'll be frightened almost beyond belief. It will be like being stuck on a roller coaster with an infinitely-downward first hill. As the control surface malfunction caused by extreme airspeed over the wings causes the plane to begin spinning, you'll be flung from your seat (the flimsy seat belt will be useless, at this point), and pinned to the walls, as will your fellow passengers. The sound of their screaming, and your own, mingled with the sounds of mechanical struggle, structural failure, and, oh God, the wind, will make an unearthly cacophony the likes of which few people ever experience. However, when your aircraft impacts the ground, it will be with such speed and violence, that your body will be immediately rendered into a fine paste, and incinerated. Your brain will have no time to process any sort of sensation. You will feel nothing. You won't even be aware that you have crossed the threshold from life into death. You will just be... done.

It seems not so bad, except for the scary prelude.

Oh that's overblowing it entirely. Only like 27% of fatal airline accidents begin at Cruise phase, and most of those are Controlled Flight Into Terrain; you'd have no time to worry, and maybe even one hell of a view for a second or two!

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Completely dumb and inaccurate.

Her costume should be an oversized bodypillow with an image of her costume on it :colbert:.

Or be showing at least casual disdain for him.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Guy Goodbody posted:

the post WW2 european peace is a historical abnormality, and only happened because of the Cold War. Now we are watching that peace break down. Within the decade NATO and the EU will have collapsed, and then they can go back to France trying to conquer the world and Germany not being a country

All jokes aside, a European war as happened in the 19th and 20th centuries likely cannot occur, at least not for decades. The entire idea behind the European Economic Community was to integrate the French and (West) German economy, along with other western-aligned European countries, to ensure that they would not develop the self dependent economies required to fight a total war against each other; if they tried it today, any combatant would immediately on the brink of collapse. Given that the French and German governments remain the biggest supporters of that common market today, we're not going to see that kind of action any time soon.

We're much, much, more likely to see low intensity conflicts - which the belligerents claim are not technically wars - in Eastern Europe rather than anything approaching the major European wars of the past.

pics unrelated

PittTheElder has a new favorite as of 17:30 on Jul 11, 2018

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Brewmaster posted:

Crimea 2, electric boogaloo?

Estonia: Donbass Part II

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Phanatic posted:

Entangled and mutually-dependent economies have never prevented countries from going to war with each other. Do you think Germany had a self-dependent economy in 1914? Germany couldn't even feed itself and had to import about a third of what it lived on. The economies of the European nations were enormously interdependent until most of the continent decided to self-immolate.

True, but the scale is totally different now. The ECSC was specifically designed to prevent France and Germany (and Italy and the Low Countries I guess) from being capable of sustaining the strategic industries required to fight each other in a prolonged conflict. The degree of entanglement is huge compared to the international trade seen during the run up to WWI.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Voyager I posted:

That's Sherman's music. Grant would probably just play Battle Hymn of the Republic (which is also about stomping the Confederacy).

Technically it could still be Dixie if you wanted: https://youtu.be/gvjOG5gboFU

Could make a good hook out of Battlecry too: https://youtu.be/bW4ZwyYJYbQ

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

As an aside, I deeply appreciate your method of embedding the pictures separate from the tweet; way better on mobile.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Raptor1033 posted:

I guess I'm just the hater who's getting bored of that gimmick.

I mean you're certainly not the only one.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

That's still not funny.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Nobody would need to complain about anime if it stayed quarantined within ADTRW.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

rodbeard posted:

It's November in Japan. Let's talk about anime.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:yeshaha:

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

I do trig routinely at work, and back in school vector calc was rad as hell. Ask me about quaternions (don't actually this is PYF).

Dagen H posted:

Everyone hates Ohio.

/Ohioan

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

RareAcumen posted:

drat people, all I did was post a video I thought was funny and I hoped other people would enjoy. Did not think that two minutes was too much of an investment at the time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_GbFMtPF6I

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-1Ue0FFrHY

You'll note this thread is not called "PYF random rear end video"

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Melaneus posted:

Follow the rules guys.

Don't pull your penis out (unless you really need to). Indecent exposure is a class 2 felony.

I am a good neighbor, I follow that rule.

not actually though

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

I am appalled by that man's lack of eye protection.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

snergle posted:

sherman was a war crime machine against the south

:lol: lost_cause.txt

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Sherman should have a national holiday, at least until the last statue of a Confederate leader is torn down.

Then that holiday should be renamed after Metacomet.

PittTheElder has a new favorite as of 03:12 on Mar 14, 2019

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Like wasn't it a good decade or two where Western was really the only type of movie anyone made?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

luxury handset posted:

not just movies either, most television shows of this era were westerns as well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tdAvEOt-l_I

Holy poo poo, Russ Tamblyn is way older and way more accomplished than I realized. I only knew him as Chuck Margaret, perhaps his least well known role.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

yikes

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Data Graham posted:

Also that one time you kept your phone active and didn’t switch into airplane mode so you could finish texting while the plane taxied on its takeoff roll, you should have heard what it sounded like in the ATC’s ears, it was like a fuckin USR Courier handshaking at 33.6 up in there

Every time I hear ATC audio I'm consistently surprised at how poor the audio quality actually is. Seems like they should be able to work out a very clear digital solution, but I'm guessing that runs in to many reliability/range/nobody wants to spend money on ATC problems?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

I'd watch that.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

piss explosion posted:

Saw this on LinkedIn. Forwarding to my dear and near.

Excited for my new diet

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

bike tory posted:

Japan uses a different year to the rest of the world, based on the current emperor's reign. The current date in Japan is 30/04/05. The current Japanese emperor is stepping down at the end of April, triggering a new era (for the first time, normally it happens when the emperor dies). The current era is Heisei (平成).

The new emperor starts on the 1st May so it'll go back to 01/05/01. The new era is going to be called Reiwa, with the kanji you can see in the tweet.

This is pretty niche knowledge that I only have because I lived in Japan. Posting that tweet with zero context was dumb.

This is helpful, I also did not know this. Even knowing that though, that picture still isn't funny. Might as well have it say the word gust is inside the word August, it's not anything. In short:

Gokuweed420 posted:

I have my phone zoomed in so I can't see usernames,and yet every time I see a post that has absolutely 0 comedic value presented I think "is that GG" and it always is, and after dozens of times one begins to wonder.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

JoelJoel posted:

If you have to write a short essay to explain the joke, it isn't a good joke.

Counterpoint: GG being required to explain why an image was funny every time he posted one was very funny.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

You realize that there's an entire country of people who speak Japanese and that 99% of the culture actually has nothing to do with anime, right

See I always assumed this had to be the case, but whenever I see anyone on the internet talking about some good Japanese movie or TV show, 95% of the time it's anime, and 50% of the time it's giant robot or school girl anime. Weeaboos are ruining my entire image of a country.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Besesoth posted:

Weird how nobody's complaining about this image that's only funny if you're part of a niche hobby whose fans are notoriously obsessive and won't shut up about it. 🤔

I mean you're not wrong, it's just that the guy who posted whatever that is doesn't post unfunny poo poo constantly.