Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

We can all agree playing MAF vs. the Flames was a passive "gently caress-you" for not trading for him, yeah?
Betting they wish the narrative carried out a little differently on that one.

He could've been yours, Burkie-boy.

Maf is actually playing pretty well lately and the Pens have a lot of games in March so probably more just resting Murray.

I'm a little worried that Maf playing halfway decent will tempt them to yank Murray the minute he has a bad playoff game, though. They nearly cost themselves the Cup last year with that stupidity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

ElwoodCuse posted:

Baseball is the absolute worst for "unwritten rules" bullshit and this has been the case for decades. Meanwhile in hockey you have opposing coaches and parents threatening 6-year-old Sidney Crosby because he's "too good".

From my experiences playing and coaching youth hockey I can confirm that video someone posted earlier of parents fighting in the stands and screaming is pretty much spot on for hockey parents. People are fuckin nuts.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Kilza posted:

Well, it should be Laine if he outproduces Matthews, given the trend of "give the Calder to the rookie with the most points (more GP as a tiebreaker)". Like right now I'd say Laine wins the Calder with the 5 point edge, if Matthews gets within 1-2 points he probably wins because :lol: NHL writers.

I could also see Laine winning if he managed to lead the league in goals, which isn't out of the realm of possibility but it'd be tough with Winnipeg having played more games than any team in the league.

e: Pens got the NCAA free agent everybody wanted:
https://twitter.com/penguins/status/841775568412631040

With how injured our forwards are he could immediately play :v:.

College FAs have been good for the Pens so I'm happy about this.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

aejix posted:

But without them, we'd never have been blessed with this:

https://youtu.be/EN2_PSs2Pjc

Every time I watch it I like something else - the goalie sticking with the play til the whistle, whatever the gently caress "GET THE WHEELS ON THE BUS(?)" means, the mortified lady with blonde hair walking back to her seat going "oh god not this bullshit again". A perfect microcosm of junior hockey stereotypes

I'm sure other sports are like this too but yeah hockey parents are ridiculous.

The worst though is when you get those youth hockey coaches that teach their teams to play dirty. I hope there's less of that now but that poo poo was common as gently caress when I was growing up and is the type of behavior that inevitably inflames the parents too.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

DJExile posted:

Barring some tomfoolery, Columbus should get home ice and a pretty favorable opponent for round 1 so I'd be surprised if they didn't finally break through this year.

What exactly is favorable about playing Pittsburgh or Washington?

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

DJExile posted:

Oh goddamnit I'm still thinking of the old system :saddowns:

They could theoretically play Toronto. Also if they get home ice and play the Pens they'd probably win that series anyways.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
The Pens were pretty bad last night. Also apparently Hainsey might be injured now too. We'll probably have guys from Wheeling playing by the time the playoffs start.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Malkin left the morning skate early for hopefully not injury related reasons and apparently Ron Hainsey is hurt now too given this was the d at line rushes:

Dumoulin-Schultz
Pouliot-Cole
Streit-Ruhwedel

Got like 10 defensemen on this team and it's still not enough

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

DJExile posted:

how do all the pens keep dying

It's karma for the ridiculous luck we get with acquiring good players.

On the plus side Hornqvist said he is symptom free and is a game time decision. I hope Malkin is just sick or something.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Malkin won't play tonight because of an upper body injury and they'll know more in 24 hours. lol.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Pungry posted:

I would like to live in this reality.

Yeah I'd be okay with that

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Hating on Burrows as a ref seems pretty okay to me

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Vincent Van Goat posted:

I'm pretty sure most people thought it was garbage from the get-go

I liked the thought of it at first because having rivalries build from repeated playoff series seemed like a good idea but the divisions are so stupidly unbalanced this year that it's just dumb that whoever finishes fourth in the Metro gets basically a free pass to the ECF. I mean it's actually worse to finish first than fourth, how dumb is that?

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Look Around You posted:

Speaking of tity defensemen, what are the pens even going to do with pouliot? He was a major contributing factor on 3 of the goals against last night, and he's just such a defensive liability with seemingly no upside. I mean he's only getting played because we have I think 4 regular defensemen hurt, but you have to figure there's another D down in WBS that can play over him.

What an awful draft pick.

He stinks, but they should probably hold onto him as long as possible and hope for the best. It's not like he has any trade value.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

That's my local team. Their coach sometimes plays in the A league here in the summer.

I don't go to their games really but I did hear from a teammate about this. The SPHL is a pretty physical league with lots of fights.

Ginette Reno fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Mar 19, 2017

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
SCG is a pretty awesome line that will probably get hurt in the playoffs because of Columbus and/or Washington taking runs but oh well

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Stretch Marx posted:

Well he said the Penguins were going to win the Cup and then Trump got elected. Are you willing to make that gamble?

The Pens won the cup twice under Obama so don't pin this on us :colbert:.

I am curious to see who won't go to the White House because of Trump. I'm guessing most guys will go though. NHLers are Republicans in general because their limited grasp of politics comes down to taxes = bad.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I hope the season comes down to a tie between Columbus and Washington and they get to the flip a coin procedure and Washington loses the toss and has to play the Pens in the first round.

God drat would that be glorious

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Only until Washington sweeps your gimped up team.

We could have the Wheeling Nailers in there and the Caps would find a way to blow it

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Mind_Taker posted:

It's going to own when like the loving Senators make it to the Finals after all of this talk about the Metro dominance.

Yeah people are making fun of the Atlantic a little too much. You know one of those teams is gonna go on a bullshit run now and then get swept by the Hawks.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
You're only losing one player. It'd be pretty hard to get set back substantially by the expansion draft unless you lose a Matt Murray or someone like that.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

The Golden Man posted:

Matthew Tkachuk owns

gently caress yeah

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Drew Doughty is a fucker though so it's okay

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
The Leafs are cool and good right now but it's still hard to disabuse me of past distaste for Tie Domi and Darcy Tucker that gives me a lingering resentment for the Leafs

e: I guess in hockey terms that makes me like that grandpa that still hates Japanese people because of WW2 even though they're nice now

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Looks like Corrado might play tonight for the Pens. Interested to see how he pans out. He did alright possession wise the last time he got a chance, albeit with pretty high o zone starts.

Can't suck worse than Pouliot anyways.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

A Typical Goon posted:

I love Bettmans NHL where a team with 33 wins and 38 losses is now considered 'good'

I get irritated when I see a team that is like 30-30-10 say they're a 500 team. No, you lost 40 times motha fucka. OT may be a gimmick but it's part of the game now. Deal with it.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Kilza posted:

McDavid was insane during the first period last night and could've easily had 5 points from that period alone. He also went around Norris Trophy Winner Drew Doughty like it was nothing:

https://twitter.com/EdmontonOilers/status/844002896945410048

He's like as gimmick as early career Ovechkin for me. He does the same thing every time and you know it's coming but you just can't stop him because his speed is so insane. If he works on his shot like Sid did and becomes a better goalscorer the sky is the limit.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Levitate posted:

tbh since he relies so much on his speed I'm worried that a significant injury or just aging a bit down the road is going to really hurt his ability and production, BUT that's also just me being contrary

His hands are pretty ridiculous too. He'll be fine. Plus even if he lost a step he'd just be blindingly fast instead of holy gently caress fast.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Cartoon Man posted:

The Penguins are going to win the Stanley Cup.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

xzzy posted:

Do Crosby's forearms look like Popeye's?

Because I think they'd need to be to get that much velocity with a move like that.

Yeah he's got beastly upper and lower body strength. Bear in mind he's like 5 11 and plays at 200 pounds.

Carver posted:

I never really see that many players help control/defend the puck with their free arm like Crosby, I guess it's harder than it looks?

Jagr is/was famously good at it. It's hard to do it and maintain control of the puck and have the presence of mind to know where your teammates are on the ice but for someone like Jagr I guess not so much.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

DJExile posted:

at this point I'd like to think they can at least gently caress up someone else's playoff hopes but i'm not even sure that's possible

The way things are going for the Pens healthwise I fully expect the Flyers to take out at least one of our players this week when they play

e: Just please don't make it Matt Murray this time. Or uh Sid. Leave him alone too.

Ginette Reno fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Mar 22, 2017

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
He apologized to the beard next faceoff which is weird because that nut shut looks pretty intentional.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Aphrodite posted:

I don't think coffee but everyone says that McDonalds is surprisingly the best you can get in a drive-thru.

Yeah they have pretty good coffee. Dunkin Donuts does too but only about half of those even have a drive-thru.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I'd be okay with the Jackets winning if they didn't have Dubinsky but because they do I'm afraid I can't quite deal with that just yet

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

ElwoodCuse posted:

gently caress Dubinsky why aren't yinz rooting for Brooks Orpik and that Russian fellow

I don't particularly like Orpik. Ovechkin is fine. If he wins, good for him.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

DJExile posted:

As far as other leagues go, is the KHL basically considered the next best league in terms of quality/competition/money after the NHL?

Yeah. It's definitely better than the AHL, but is quite a bit worse than the NHL.

I miss Kovalchuk though. I hope he comes back at the end of his deal there.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

DJExile posted:

Rasmus Ristolainen gets 3 games

I wonder how many Guentzel got

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

The Little Kielbasa posted:

Why aren't the Pens intentionally throwing games to fall to fourth.

Too late for that, the Rangers have been on it for weeks.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
That play happens a million times a game. Crosby happened to get him in just the right spot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

LumpyGumby posted:

What really sucks is that I'll be back there next year, attempting to try and cheer us on as we fellate the other team, and I'll be jerking off my money right into Kroenke's eyes, because apparently I'm a masochist she I hate myself and all I stand for. Worst team in decades and it seems everyone is fine about it.

My girlfriend is a Pens fan, there's a winning team right there that I could cheer for. It wouldn't be hard. Is that what you want? Another Pittsburgh fan? I'll do it I swear I'll do it

Welcome to the club. Crosby can axe murder fingers and get away with it. It owns.

• Locked thread