Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

gently caress Kane but yeah in what way is a game boring when it has a hat trick, 66 shots on goal (including 31 in the 2nd period alone), and 51 hits? That sounds like a pretty fun game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

I heard it's free dog whistle night at the Bell Center.

lmao

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/Sportsnet/status/837462787886440448

oh god :cry:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

E: oops not GDT

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

AsInHowe posted:

""Obviously I look forward to playing in a building in front of fans that I played in for so long, played some big games in, had some fun games," Subban said. "Probably the thing I look forward to the most is hopefully Madame Beliveau there."

That would be Elise Beliveau, the widow of Jean Beliveau who loved wearing her Subban jersey to Canadiens games."

He blew Elise kisses before the game :3:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Flyers signed German Rubtsov to his entry level deal

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Rotten Cookies posted:

Geman is Russian? What's next, cats are dogs and flyers win shootouts?!

we live in strange times

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

A wonderful tribute video from Tampa Bay looking back on the career of Mark Streit

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

shyduck posted:

Ugh the Flyers have a road trip at the end of the month going through Winnipeg, Minnesota, Columbus and Pittsburgh. I can't help but feel that's going to be the season right there

Hell, if anything the season is this week. Winnable games vs. Buffalo, Toronto and Boston all on the road. I still think they finish just outside the playoffs but if nothing else maybe they gently caress things up for some of the higher up teams.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

ESPN posted:

Ken Holland of the Detroit Red Wings has suggested expanding the playoffs to nine or 10 teams in each conference with play-in games similar to MLB, and the strength of the Metropolitan Division this season -- where the fourth-place team has more points than the Atlantic Division leader -- has generated some questions.

:laffo: yeah, OK there Ken.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Spring Break My Heart posted:

They still wouldn't make it, and the divisional stuff is bizarre to bring up in that discussion.

I think the divisional thing is more pointing towards teams who are going to want to tank to get the WC1 spot since the Atlantic is a mess.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

shyduck posted:

So the Atlantic is the new Southeast Division

This year, yeah. I don't think anyone predicted Tampa Bay to fall as hard as they did and the fancy cats are still hurting, neither of which helps things. Buffalo's still in patient rebuild form and had Eichel out for a while. Detroit is a 100% disaster.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Putting Detroit in the east and fixing up who's in what division seemed to fix a lot of the problems from beforehand, like Detroit playing a playoff game at 11PM eastern time because it's against LA. At this point I don't see why you need the divisional round.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Cookies brought this up in the discord, why not just say a divisional lead means you're guaranteed a spot in the playoffs, but not a seed?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

How often do the GMs meet? If they do after the end of the playoffs (i'm assuming they would) then i could see season/playoff-altering decisions made at that point. Trying to decide on those items when you're 1 month from the playoffs would be a huge mess.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Kilza posted:

Even though this would never happen nowadays, I'd love for the NHL to go back to having the top 16 teams in the league make it, regardless of conference/division. Then 1 faces 16, 2 faces 15, etc.

Oh man this would be a hoot

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

glynnenstein posted:

Completely regardless of the Caps' many Regular Season ChampionshipsTM, following the EPL for the last few years has made me appreciate how dumb it is that we have these teams play 82 games and then throw most of that out and say, okay but now it's for real.

Yeah the EPL is fun to watch but gently caress if I can ever make sense of the table and when things count/don't count.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

A straight-up league seeding would give us this as of right now:

Toronto vs. Washington, Isles vs. Wild, Nashville vs. Chicago, Boston vs CBJ, Ottawa vs. Pittsburgh, Calgary vs. NYR, Anaheim vs. San Jose, and Edmonton vs. Montreal.

Not gonna lie, that would own.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yo Vegas sign this kid

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Furnaceface posted:

Sounds way too similar to the Hascheck

"WHAT WAS HE SUPPOSED TO DO???"

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Levitate posted:

their stupid terrible announcers

This is reason enough. Holy poo poo.

Jovial Cow posted:

In case you were all wondering Antti Raanta now has the best pads in the NHL:

They looked fantastic with the road whites.

GODDAMN :swoon:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Washington only leads the league by 5 points, and the eastern conference by 7.

Clearly time to panic.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

oh we talking crazy stares?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

corn on the cop posted:

hey who wants to see the worst defense iced this year

https://twitter.com/MattLoug/status/839176792699187200

my immediate reaction is to point to what the Flyers have put out there when Ghost is benched, but man the more I look at that... :stare:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah I get that the Sedins have deep roots in Vancouver but i really can't imagine people giving them a hard time for making one last run somewhere while the Canucks are very clearly in tank/rebuild mode.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

jesus christ :stare:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Rotten Cookies posted:

This reminds me of "Jarome! It's me! Olli! I'm back!"

I think someone in here had that as an avatar/text?

R-Lam

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

lol at levitate's av

also if you want to see exactly how atrocious the flyers have been since the start of the year, their SBNation page has you covered!

quote:

Entering last night’s game against the Buffalo Sabres, the Flyers’ goal-based metrics at 5-on-5 were nothing short of horrid. Their Goals For percentage of 41.74% ranked 29th in the NHL, ahead of only the Colorado Avalanche, and it’s been even uglier since the turn of the calendar year. Over their past 26 games, Philadelphia was outscored 26 to 50 during 5v5 situations, good for an eye-poppingly atrocious 34.21% Goals For percentage. No team has been worse in 2017.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Mike_V posted:

Is the Salary Cap bumping up to about $75M next season? Or was that always planned?

I think it'd been planned to go up there as of a year or two ago but the canadian dollar being down postponed it.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

CBJSprague24 posted:

Do they factor in the goalie's impact on what the team did versus what they were expected to do or is it just "best goaltender in the league"? If they do, does Holtby get points knocked off because "He's on the Caps" whereas Bob gets extra credit because "your team was supposed to be flaming poo and instead might get home ice in the first round"?

The only time I've ever paid attention to the vote was when Bob won in 2013.

I think Vezina's mostly just been straight up best goalie.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

i am the bird posted:

Beat writers are starting to pen thoughts about Blashill being fired. All glory to the blood god.

Also, Fire Holland.

Firing Blashill isn't gonna do poo poo if Holland is still GM of that team

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

flyers bad water wet earth gay

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

ImplicitAssembler posted:

- Sedins don't look like they're even trying. They had 3 shifts where they put some effort into and looked good, but so many bad passes and half-arsed efforts.

They're 36 years old and stuck on a disaster of a team that clearly isn't making the playoffs. At this point I don't blame them.

alternatively, maybe management got them drunk too

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Blashill's probably not a great coach but let's not pretend he was inheriting greatness and hosed it all up. When he showed up, Detroit was an aging Datsyuk, a couple middling-to-bad goalies, and a headshot-throwing defenseman that the TV crew couldn't stop jacking off over all combined with a bunch of low level grinders and GOOD MICHIGAN BOYS, most of whom range from 3rd line talents to those that should never leave the AHL level, and all of them tied to contracts that even Paul Holmgren wouldn't have offered.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/MichaelFarber3/status/839471394714963969?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

lmao this take is 3 fire emojis

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

gently caress Boston gently caress AMac gently caress this season go tank hard boys

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Shawn Cotureier posted:

I don't even care if they cancel sports

that's wild

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Philadelphia is now a "bubble team" in the loosest definition of the term

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Take our MAF
Take our MAF
put his 'tending to the test
just chain him to the post, cherie
and he'll provide the rest
fleur-de-lis
glove shake-y
at least he's not named Niemi
Mind his 5-hole, though, it's dire
don't believe us? Ask the Flyers
Sometimes he flops
and rides the bench
but did I mention he speaks French?
and on your team he won't be second-best
so go on, have a ball
Jim Nill just give a call and
take our MAF
Oui, our MAF

god drat :golfclap:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah I feel like there's really just gonna be a bigger secondary market now, since the Leafs don't suck nearly as much

• Locked thread