Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

PK loving SUBBAN posted:

Tbh I thought Letang should've retired after the stroke. Then when had another concussion in 2015 I thought for sure he would put his health first.

This time it's a vague upper body injury but I think i heard somewhere it's another (suspected) concussion. Dude need to hang them up before he winds up dead or in a home with mush for brains.

I think I'd risk it for the 50m dollars or whatever huge amount he has left on his contract.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011
I feel like there is absolutely no benefit to putting your dominant hand lower on the stick, basically every action you make with the stick comes from the top hand

I guess you do aim wrist shots with the bottom hand tho

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

Slappy Pappy posted:

Ok I have to know the rest of that first sentence. ...semen and goalie?

Defensemen probably

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

El Gallinero Gros posted:

How do you guys feel about this draft class?

It's bad

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

fits posted:

it took him 907 games but ovetchkin is finally in his first goalless streak of double-digit games at 10 :eyepop:

He's on pace to finish 18th in the goal scoring race, which would be the worst finish in his 12 year career. Here are his goal finishes for his first 11 seasons: 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 3, 3, 4, 5, 14

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011
Trouba, Enstrom and Myers are all dead so check out the defence the Jets are icing tonight!

Chiarot - Byfuglien
Morrissey - Postma
Stuart - Melchiori

:gary:

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

Lol. Laine could outscore Matthews by 10 points in 8 less games and he still wouldn't win the Calder

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

Spring Break My Heart posted:

Why do you think that?

Because of the mad hype Matthews has gotten by playing in the Toronto market?

Media types like Jeff O'Neil hyping him as the most valuable player in the league, Mackenzie and LeBrun both claiming Matthews is a top 20 NHL player today and Friedman saying that he hoped Laine didnt win the Rocket cause it would make the choice for the Calder "impossible". That last one was really convinced me that Laine has no chance at the Calder. A rookie winning the Rocket should not make the Calder a hard choice. It should make it a really loving easy one actually.

Why do you think the NHL writers are going to pick anyone other than Matthews?

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

Stretch Marx posted:

Definitely the Sharks. If I was a Rags or Isles fan I wouldn't like the Devils. Not because of some sort of rivalry; but because the loving Devils are boring as gently caress to watch. I don't care who the team is playing as long as the game is fun to watch. The only possible rivalries that are ever worth it come from two teams being both really good and being evenly matched. Forced rivalries by location are always disappointing because generally one team is better than the other.

I hate watching games against the Wild cause they're pretty boring overall but I love games against the Blues cause the teams clearly hate each and poo poo normally goes down when they face the Jets

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011
Hymen has 22 even strength points which doesn't look good when you look at his linemates who have 55 points and 50 points respectively, but that starts to make more sense when you realize Matthews has only 37 even strength points and Nylander 27 at even strength. I don't think he's dragging that line down as much as people claim he is, his linemates are only outscoring him by so much because of the amazing powerplay production that they've gotten on the year

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011
Matthews to me doesn't seem like the type of player that really requires anyone else to produce offense. Maybe it's from always being far and away the best player on the ice during his development years but his style really seem to be more 'selfish' than I was anticipating from the scouting reports.

I think he'll end up being a player like Crosby, who can drive a line by himself and only gets a slight boost by playing with players that on paper should be large upgrades.

Marner is kind of like the exact opposite, where I don't feel he'd produce much at all with scrubs on his line, but with talented linemates he can really bring the offence.

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

Stretch Marx posted:

Well considering the last two poaches they did from the KHL I'm holding faith that this guy is also good.

Is Zaitsev good though?

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

Paulocaust posted:

Lol if you think Mitch Marner can't create his own offence. That's the worst take I've heard in some time.

You must not read your own posts very often then

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011
I'm fine with good teams meeting early, it makes for more interesting series early on.

I say this as a fan of a team that is decidedly Not Good though

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011
https://twitter.com/NorthEndRick/status/843605411639058432

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

DJExile posted:

Yeah this is all I can think of. Vegas is gonna need some big contracts to get to the floor.

They only need to reach 60% of the cap floor in their first year I thought?

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011
They only need to take 32.4m in the expansion draft, which averaged to 1.08m per player taken. They'll probably only need 1 overpriced player to hit that mark, my guess is they take a guy that's over priced but not horrible so no Girardi or whatever. Bobby Ryan is my guess

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011
It's not decided yet. They backtracked when everyone called them morons

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

JoelJoel posted:

I know it's probably only big nerds who care, but why hold back? I can't think of a single reason other than maybe they don't want us to know how stupid most gms actually are (we know).

Do they actually have a secret no-fun policy?

E: nah, I gave it some more thought. It's gotta be like 60 out-of-touch and 40 incompetence/stupidity.

The league cares more about its GMs than it does its fans, it's really as simple (and bush league) as that

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011
I love Bettmans NHL where a team with 33 wins and 38 losses is now considered 'good'

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011
Record should be based on regulation and OT wins, with shootout wins being the first tie breaker. The points system is dumb

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011
I didn't really care about the shootout until we got the glory that was 3v3 OT. Just extend 3v3 to 10 minutes and there will be basically no shootouts

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

Duck Rodgers posted:

Both Buff and Morrissey missed part of the 3rd period last night, and the Jets have recalled Brendan Kichton from the Moose. Which means that there's a chance that the Jets will play tonight missing six of their starting seven defensemen. The tank is on.

Kichton was a regular healthy scratch for the Moose. The Jets are icing what would be a very bad defence at the AHL level.

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011
Why did Boeser's offensive numbers regress so much this season as opposed to last? I remember last year people trying to say he was a better NCAA prospect than Connor

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011
A sizeable contingent of Jets fans seem to think they'll protect Lowry over Perreault in the expansion draft because 'Lowry is 6'5' which pretty conveniently leaves out the fact that 6'5 Adam Lowry is a far worse hockey player than 5'10 Matthieu Perreault.

Perreault is on fire lately and his advanced statistics indicate he's a legitimate top line winger. I'll be so loving pissed if we gift him to Vegas.

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

Zodijackylite posted:

Lowry is 23, has a cap hit of $1.125m, and is a RFA after next seasons.
Perrault is 29, has a cap hit of $4.125m, and is signed for four more seasons.

They could replace Perrault with a UFA of similar age/cost.

Lowry is a 4th line centre and Perreault is a top line winger, look at how wrong this post is

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

Citizen Tayne posted:

When the rest of the league takes liberties with your stars on the regular, I'd say there's nothing wrong with calling up a big man on occasion to protect him.

What player was Sestito protecting from 5'9 Toby Enstrom when he boarded the gently caress out of him and gave him a concussion?

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

grack posted:

I think Zaitsev is a top pairing D for Toronto with Reilly?

Toronto doesn't have a top pairing D

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

El Gallinero Gros posted:

So that's a no.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=160169

http://www.pensionplanpuppets.com/2016/8/25/12637836/adam-brooks-is-better-than-we-think

He's been playing really well since he turned 18 and he's apparently got a really high hockey IQ

Lol. A player still playing junior hockey at age 20 is not going to be an top 6 NHL forward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011
Let me provide a list of current top 6 NHL players that played their overage year in junior hockey:

Not too mention he plays on a stacked team on a line with Sam Steele, who is far and away the best forward in the Dub and probably all of junior hockey

• Locked thread