Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Aye Doc posted:

the teams who really deserve to be laughed at. Starting with, of course, The Montreal Canadiens.

In: F Andreas Martinsen, F Steve Ott, F Dwight King, D Brandon Davidson, D Jordie Benn
Out: F Sven Andrighetto, F David Desharnais, D Greg Pateryn, 2017 4th-round pick, 2018 conditional 4th-round pick

The Habs need cap space. Martinsen, Ott and King are all off the books at the end of the season.
The Habs have 5 2nd rounders in the next two years. They also have their firsts and thirds.
Are they terrible pickups that indicate a bad train of thought from the GM? Yes. Should the Habs be mocked for it? Yes. Is this the sign of a franchise going from "decent, playoff second round" fodder to "garbage, 50 years of no cup" fodder? No.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

MononcQc posted:

I'm okay with this if they're making space to sign Radulov.

It's Galchenyuk I'm worried about. He's going to want like 6-7m a year for 4-5 years. Beaulieu, Nesterov and Radulov have to be resigned and they're all going to want big pay rises. Then there's the possibility of Markov wanting to go around a couple more times.
None of this is cheap. If the cap stays flat, Habs are in trooooouble.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

By god I think you're on to something here.

- Alexei Emelin

gently caress YOU gently caress YOU gently caress YOU gently caress YOU gently caress YOU gently caress YOU gently caress YOU gently caress YOU gently caress YOU gently caress YOU gently caress YOU gently caress YOU gently caress YOU gently caress YOU gently caress YOU gently caress YOU gently caress YOU gently caress YOU

https://twitter.com/glefrancoisLP/status/837332858138202112

gently caress I hope he got it right.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

THE HABS BREAK THE FEBRUARY CURSE AND WIN A GAME BEFORE OT!!!

(Also PK makes me sad these days

Schlesische fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Mar 3, 2017

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

JawKnee posted:

Gonna nail that 1% target

I'm encouraged by how the Habs have a 3% target to nail.

DuhSal posted:

I'm thinking if the Leafs make the playoffs they're going to get curbstombed. They've shown themselves to not be able to handle strong offensive pressure too well when the game gets really hard this year and it'll only be harder during playoff time. I would like to be pleasantly surprised of course. Still pretty happy with how the season has went though.

On the one hand, they're going to have to learn how to play under pressure and where the line on what you can get away with is (and how to play defense, holy poo poo the goals they let up are baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad). On the other hand, if the Toronto media turns against them because they get swept or if it starts to hammer on Lou to make changes to win now the Leafs are probably going to blow the best chance at winning a ring since 1967.
I'd kinda prefer the latter since I already hate the Toronto media and routinely mute the feed if I'm watching a game with Toronto callers.

Schlesische fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Mar 3, 2017

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Kilza posted:

They're still enamored by the fact he won the Conn Smythe with them in 2006.

Hey, you never know. They might get 3rd in the Atlantic and make the second round before getting curbstomped by whichever Metro team ends up as the first Wild Card. :v:

They haven't beaten Montreal in 12 games, will probably struggle against Ottawa and I could see them leaving a series against Boston with a lot of bruises (and bruised egos).

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

DuhSal posted:

I don't like the Toronto media at all either but I have to imagine even they can't be so stupid enough as to expect much more from a team in year 2 of a rebuild. The team have already achieved more than expected so anything else should be just fine. Should. I also don't really see Shanahan blowing up the rebuild so soon because of media pressure. They definitely have a plan and stated as such so I'm going to go ahead and believe them that they'll continue with it.

Also, Montreal's media is much worse.

I think if they do pile on the pressure it'll be hard to avoid looking to sign some of the free agents of the day which will limit ice time to prospects who need it and might have a major impact on the ability to resign the legitimate star prospects in 2-3 years time. Also, a successful year this year might lead to them going "well Hunwick and Polak were good on the ice, lets give them 5 years at 3mil each!".

In my experience, Toronto media is worse than Montreal media, because one of them is hidden behind layers of French (and Joual) but I can definitely believe that when you tally it all up, Montreal's is worse (Toronto's is still absolutely terrible, and they need to calm down on fellating Leafs players not called "Rielly, "Marner", "Matthews" or "Nylander"). Having said that, you just know that when Toronto starts winning and all those bandwagon fans show up, I guarantee you Toronto's media will be 10 times worse than it is now, worse than even the rectum of sports media that has produced such turds as L'Antichambre.

Schlesische fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Mar 4, 2017

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Lost in all the hoopla of other teams and more interesting goings on, Le Club du Canadien actually managed to genuinely beat a team. First time since January.

Turns out Ott was the missing link, who knew?
(heavy sarcasm above)

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

The Dirty Burger posted:

Does Vegas finish with more points than Colorado next year?

Bigger question, if the Avs win the lottery do they bother burning their team down?

ehnus posted:

With all the fired coaches and GM being complete dogshit, and idiot teams doing idiot things like rehiring them, I'd think the league would want to keep them out as long as possible if they want the quality of play to go up.

Clod "soopercoache" Joolienne is a prominent example of a coach who would be unhirable at the moment if that stupid rule was still in play, to say nothing of the fact that Lumbus doesn't seem to be complaining about Torts.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Aphrodite posted:

I think Montreal wouldn't mind giving up a 2nd to hire Julien.

I doubt they pay Boston a 2nd for a Bergeron.

Also, MacJesus is real good. Like Lebron "gently caress this climb on my back and lets go" levels of good.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Martytoof posted:

I was out so I didn't get to watch the Habs game last night but put on the highlights when I finally crawled onto my couch in a drunken stupor. Did they actually play well or was the score just an indication that Hank seemed to be just as drunk as me on some of those goals?

Habs played well, Rags played poorly, Hank missed one or two of the goals he really should have stopped.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Anders posted:

I hope he does well, he grew up two hours away from where I did.

I think Julien praised him for his hard work.
He's coming into a crowded situation, but he and King are probably the two better players of the deadline acquisitions.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Going back to this conversation briefly, Soccer is a really bad sport to compare *anything* to. The reason the title race in (say) the EPL is pretty boring is because you either a) aren't invested enough in it, b) don't care about the teams fighting for it or c) both.
European soccer, with the exception of last year in the EPL, is suuuuuuuuuuuuuuper predictable. If you're Barca, Real, Bayern, Juve or PSG you don't need to give a poo poo about the league because over 40-or so games you're going to be better than everyone else more consistently. Bayern, Juve and PSG are pretty much guaranteed the crown these days and Barca and Real are the only real competition for one another (although every now and then a plucky upstart arises to challenge the Godzilla vs King Kong battle they have going on). So the UCL is where you dump your best players and where people watching have the most fun (also international ads make the competition and the teams buckets of money, increased ticket prices make the teams buckets of money, international tv rights make the teams buckets of money... you get the point)

Australia's football codes generally try to make the regular season more entertaining by giving the first four seeds huge advantages. In the AFL, for example, finishing first means you play 4th and if you win you get a week off and if you lose you get a chance to play the winner of 5th vs 8th (finishing inside the top four earns you the "double chance"). That also doesn't work for the NHL (could work well in the NFL, but wouldn't stop teams from choking hard in the Superbowl).

CBJSprague24 posted:

Bob has to be under consideration if for no other reason than the CBJ don't have the season they have if McElhinney or Forsberg is starter. Korpisalo's decent enough to make them an alright team, but not second in the Metro. I feel like it's between Bob and Dubnyk.

Torts is going to win the Jack Adams and the rage is going to be entertaining. I hope somebody puts Greg Wyshynski on suicide watch when it happens.

e- Wow, I didn't realize Holtby had gotten around both :cop: and Dubnyk in GAA.

Since Therrien's firing, Carey is second in SV% and GAA (to Holtbeast who is noticeably ahead in both categories). If Carey finishes the season the way he started it, he's going to put his name firmly back in contention.
Which is absolutely loving terrifying.
Considering how bad Carey was for how long (if you limit his stats to only the games between December 1st to February 14th - when Therrien got fired - he's .898 with 2.93 good for 45th and 43rd respectively), it really indicates how otherworldly he was to start and how much closer to back he is.

Schlesische fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Mar 7, 2017

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Gunjin posted:

The last shove was well before the goal, he had opportunity to leave the crease and instead boxed Holtby out. You can't just keep standing in the crease and block the goalie, even if you're pushed several seconds earlier.

He got pushed into the crease initially, then pushed back into the net again. He had a stick in his back until just before the goal was scored.

This isn't a bad call, it's atrocious defending.

Suspicious posted:

Price also has a much worse team in front of him.

He isn't winning the Hart this year.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

mennoknight posted:

Wideman has been munching popcorn since the arrival of Mike Stone. Coincidentally, when removed from Dennis Wideman, TJ Brodie looks like an NHL defenceman again. Wideman has played his last game of NHL hockey.

And the Flames look GOOD. People should watch them.

They're going to want to either be in the Pacific or in the first wildcard come the playoffs, but considering I never thought they'd make the playoffs until they destroyed the Isles that's a big step up.

Who's caught fire for them?

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

JawKnee posted:

Nashville -> Tampa -> Florida -> Carolina -> LA -> Detroit -> Isles

Not exactly tough competition

I mean the Isles, Tampa and Florida have enjoyed a healthy resurgence after their sub optimal starts to the season, the Kings are doing really good considering how bad Kopitar has been and Nashville are both good and hard to score against.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Suspicious posted:

Isn't he also using Markov less? Markov's still good but when he's tired he's pretty bad.

Markov-Weber is a D-pairing. So if one is getting decreased use, they're both getting decreased use.

Also, fun fact about the Habs for all of HAS: Emelin got punted into a D-pairing with Nesterov, and is likely the 7th D for the game against the Canucks.

https://twitter.com/JFChaumontJDM/status/839198870873714688

I'm not sure why, but the Habs D-pairings no longer look like absolute garbage.
(We'll ignore the fact Ott is almost certainly a 4th liner for the remainder of this season).

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

eXXon posted:

Would you like to read hfboards Oilers fans earnest argue about how Larsson is/was a better fit for the Oilers than Subban would have been?

Subban was not going for a Larsson. Not without some major pieces as well.
Bergevin may have made a colossal blunder, and one that has tanked his popularity in Montreal to "you'd better win the loving cup you hack" levels, but I genuinely believe the only reason he traded PK was because the Nashville GM came to him and said "PK for Shea?".

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Being on Team Tank and then watching the games doesn't really work. I get confused when the Canucks score.
Also going to the game on Thursday and not sure how to react. I mean, I want them to lose, but if I'm there, I want them to win!!.

Firstly, the best (?worst?) the nucks can do is 3rd last - the Canucks straight up aren't losing enough to get close to the Yotes and the Avs started tanking like 3 games in.
Secondly, Vegas is going to add a complication. I think they get a weighted lottery chance as if they came third last?
Finally, this draft, in general, is pretty poo poo according to most people who actually bother to watch 15 year olds play hockey.

Enjoy the game. Cheer for the Canucks.
This is literally the worst year in a decade to be bad, but to have not learned that until the deadline. And besides, if the Canucks do decide to do a total rebuild it's not like you're going to have a lot of reasons to be happy next year.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Kale posted:

Hey HAS turns out Emelin sucks. My God I had like no idea. :psypop:

But seriously what are the upsides at this point. He can be physical but not too physical cause he has a plate in his face (not that it's scaring many top players cause they can just dance around him), he insists on taking the body instead of the puck every single time it's loose in front of the net possibly because he can barely stickhandle at an NHL level anyway, he's slow as poo poo bordering on pylon status AND takes the dumbest D-Zone penalties because of all of the above. It's like 50/50 the Habs are gonna get scored on any time he's out for a shift but no we gotta trade Pateryn and Tinordi away and give this guy the ice time and now we have gently caress all in St. Johns.

He's too expensive for St Johns, his cap hit is too high for him to be gone without significant pieces moving along side him. You can sit him, but you're sitting a reasonably large chunk of the salary and limiting advertising his limited skillset (he can check hard).

We're literally down to hoping that LV takes him, which they might if there's not enough salary to take elsewhere.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

He's actually pretty buyout friendly at $1.4 for 4 years. That's not terrible.

I don't know why, but buying a bad player out never seems to be an option if you're a GM.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Good Canadian Boy posted:

If you all aren't rooting for the leafs to slip into the playoffs and play against Montreal or Ottawa you have no heart.

On the one hand, I want the Habs to extend their winning streak over the Leafs to over 17.

On the other, I don't want Toronto to have nice things.

Either way I get a Steve Dangle meltdown, so I'm okay with either. The Ottawa option does not appeal to me though.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Suspicious posted:

It's all Roy's fault.... wait, he's gone.

I'm so happy Julien was hired because it spares us the ignominy of "Patrick Roy, Canadiens Coach and GM" for at least another year or two.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Captain Internet posted:

I mean, why don't they wait until the third round of the playoffs when they won't need him at all?

:iceburn:

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Vincent Van Goat posted:

Made that worse for you :angel:

FTFY.

Duke Chin posted:

Hi everybody.

This post was from 2 days.

I just wanted to quote it just to show you all what a stupid post/idea this is.

Don't change the loving nets.

Welp thanks for listening.

It's real sad when you get a Habs fan and a Bs fan to agree on something. Don't change the nets when there are easier and better ways to fix what's not really problem to start with.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

hifi posted:

glad we could make this all about the pens

Until Murray gets injured and the Pens flame out in the first round, this season is all about the Pens.

Comedy option, Murray gets injured and Fleury carries the team to the cup. The Pens then choose to expose Murray and keep Fleury.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

CBJSprague24 posted:

I'm amazed at what a logjam the battle for the Metro crown has become. Again. Washington was gone not even a week ago, but Pittsburgh is closing with a chunk of their NHL roster dead (because they're the Pens) and Columbus is within striking distance with a largely favorable schedule they've handled mostly as they should to this point the rest of the season. I think the only "hard" games Columbus has left are one each against Washington, Pittsburgh, and Chicago. :suspense:

I don't think this point last year had as many neat storylines as this one does. Worth noting that as a Habs fan I wasn't paying attention to it at this point and was instead under my desk with a collection of strong alcohol.

It's not just the Metro though.
In the Pacific you've got that delicious potential Battle of Alberta first round meeting.
In the Atlantic you've got a musical chairs with 5 contestants and only 3 or 4 spots.
In the Central there's the "can the Blackhawks reel in the Wild?".

Then there's all the wildcard spots (although that's definitely more of an Eastern conference thing... lol Iginla got traded to a team that's probably not even making the playoffs this year). Then there's all the player storylines.

This year is pretty batshit.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

CBJSprague24 posted:

On that note, how far away are the top three in the Metro from clinching? All three are north of 90 points and it has to be in the next couple weeks, right?

Theoretically both New York teams can still make a serious challenge for that 3rd seed. And theoretically the top 3 metro teams are in real danger of being the team that gets punted.

I'd say Pittsburgh and Washington should probably clinch sometime this week with Columbus being about a week after that. I'm assuming a two things:
1) The Rags lose a few games in Henrik's absence.
2) All three teams don't go on late season slumps.

Right now the Isles are ~9 wins behind with 15 games left. That's not insurmountable yet, just absurdly (Habs 2015-2016 levels of absurd) unlikely.

Schlesische fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Mar 12, 2017

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Spelling Mitsake posted:

I would say Pacioretty has a good chance too.

Literally everyone above 30 has at least a semblance of a chance.
Laine in particular, since teams often rebound a game or two after they've been mathematically eliminated from Playoff Contention and he could easily ride that wave.
Patches could potentially get up to 40, but the Habs just seem to be struggling to ignite their offence and the 1C is still up in the air.
Crosby should defo get it.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

eXXon posted:

I missed the 3rd period of the Leafs game and only now noticed that Rielly managed to hit -25 on the season while Gardiner is +25. Plus/minus is dumb and all but that's something. And to think Gardiner is the one who's prone to brain farts...

Isn't it also possible that Rielly is the one who has to defend far more behind such 2-way playing luminaries as Mitch Marner, William Nylander and Auston Matthews

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Sharks Eat Bear posted:

Not to rain on your parade, but even the 2017 Flyers shouldn't have a problem beating the current Pens roster. If MAF had played it would have been at least 7-0

I mean come on. Sid played 20:59. Malkin played 17:24. Kessel played 14:39. They were a combined 0-0-0 -5 with 5 SOG.

I get that the defence is a tire fire, but if I am able to eat the fact that Carey "I am still the best player the Habs have had in over a decade" Price had a rough month in February, I think you can eat that your superstars had a bad game.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Aye Doc posted:

https://twitter.com/amandacstein/status/842770481031843840

what a Dick. look at this Bad attitude. how could a player like this ever represent the legendary Habs fanbase?

The Habs have too many defensemen and are literally running a rotation to figure out who they want to play. Beaulieu should never have been press boxed, and it led to a return of quite possibly the worst 2nd pairing d-combo in the League in Petry-Emelin.

I wish I could I was joking, but the Habs lost largely on the back of goals where Emelin drifted over to Petry's side and let a man go free.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Martytoof posted:

On the bright side Emelin wasn't in pairings at practice today, reportedly, so maybe Julien is finally wising up.

And my phone autocorrected "emelin" to "smelling" today when I tweeted the same. I had to think twice about whether I wanted to correct it or not because it has a point.

The pairings were a mess, I read at least one of the usual suspects saying "don't read anything into this".

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

HABS WIN!

Ohfuckohfuckohfuckohfuck.

(seriously though, I don't envy the Sens run home... Habs, Bruins twice, Isles, Rangers, Philly, Minny and the Jets. But hey, at least they get a home and home against Detroit!)

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Sharks Eat Bear posted:

Gotta admit the leafs are pretty likable rn

Then you remember the "Toronto" part of it.

Don't worry, if you don't the wider hockey media will make sure to remind you 60 quintillion times during the playoffs that "THE LEAFS ARE IN THE PLAYOFFS THE LEAFS ARE IN THE PLAYOFFS i guess the oilers break their own decade long drought and are in the playoffs too THE LEAFS ARE IN THE PLAYOFFS THE LEAFS ARE IN THE PLAYOFFS".

Followed by the inevitable "THE LEAFS ARE SWEPT BY WASHINGTON, WORLD CRIES REAL TEARS".

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

DuhSal posted:

Media shouldn't affect how a team is liked because it's not the players' fault. If they're a cool and fun team then that should overtake whatever bullshit media thing there is. Why are you a Montreal fan when their media is dogshit too?

He's a Pens fan not a Leafs fan. If someone wants to be a leafs fan because they're a fairly fast, fairly fun team then that's their choice.
If a Pens fan wants to enjoy hearing about the Leafs during the Pens parade, then enjoy.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

For the record, this isn't a "I HATE THE LEAFS BECAUSE THEY ARE TORONTO AND I HATE TORONTO", and - as noted the last time this came up - I don't read the Montreal Gazette and it's brethren, passing it over in favour of TSN, SN and the NHL website (the latter of which likes large market teams and superstars, fancy that).

Every sport has that team who eventually does well enough to the point where you're going to see a bandwagon the size of the moon ("They've been my second team this whole time, I swear" and reporters who usually seem pretty non-biased come out of the woodwork to fellate their team (and reporters who are biased to other teams will usually hop in on the love-in). And when it falls apart the media is going to hellfire and brimstone it down to try and reclaim their "unbiased values". Either way, this massive love-fest and bad poetry recital ends up generating a ridiculous and insulting amount of noise for the team that does it.

It's rarely the most successful teams because they tend to generate their own horrible, incestuous, shitfest of a media culture (see: Canadiens, Montreal; Yankees, New York; et al)

Hell, the Oilers are having a breakout year, but by comparison to all the "MATTHEWS FOR CALDER" and "LEAFS CAN MAKE THE PLAYOFFS IF..." talk, they're a loving submarine. Same for the storylines on the Flames and Islanders (who recovered from impressively bad starts), Wild and Blue Jackets (who seem to finally be overachieving/delivering on all that promise after years of underachievement and disappointment).

Schlesische fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Mar 21, 2017

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

grack posted:

Has anybody let Ryan Miller know that the Canucks are trying to lose? Because the 'Nucks got outshot 44-15 tonight and still won against Chicago

I'm pretty sure that game was a display that even when the Canucks are trying to lose, the Blackhawks come out on top.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Kilza posted:

Avalanche have 43 points with 10 games remaining, all but 1 of those are against playoff teams. They aren't reaching 50 points.

Of all the years to bottom out on, holy poo poo.
Gabriel Landeskog is really living up to his draft number as well, isn't he.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Powershift posted:

Boston only has 9 games left to the islander's 10, is only up by 2 points, and is 3 games into a losing streak. Are they even going to make the playoffs?

The only thing that would make me, as a Habs fan, happier than watching the Leafs eat poo poo and get humiliated in 4 games by the Caps would be watching the Bruins eat poo poo and not even make the playoffs.

So you could say we're in a win-win situation right now.

• Locked thread