Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

Jordan7hm posted:

Curtis Lazar is going to turn it all around and make Ottawa look foolish.

nah

I still like Lazar from his Oil Kings days so I hope he's able to turn it around, but at the same time he's now with Calgary so I hope he doesn't. Why couldn't he just go to a non-Edmonton team I didn't hate so I could just 100% hope for him? :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

Mind_Taker posted:

How did Carolina not move on from Cam Ward last offseason? It seemed like the most obvious thing in the world to do and instead they gave him a 2-year $6.6M contract to be one of the worst goalies in the league (again).

They're still enamored by the fact he won the Conn Smythe with them in 2006.

DuhSal posted:

I'm thinking if the Leafs make the playoffs they're going to get curbstombed. They've shown themselves to not be able to handle strong offensive pressure too well when the game gets really hard this year and it'll only be harder during playoff time. I would like to be pleasantly surprised of course. Still pretty happy with how the season has went though.

Hey, you never know. They might get 3rd in the Atlantic and make the second round before getting curbstomped by whichever Metro team ends up as the first Wild Card. :v:

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

corn on the cop posted:

colorado is on pace for a 48-point season.

the last non-expansion team to finish with fewer than 50 points was the 1998-99 Lightning. darcy tucker led the team in points.

Considering they do things like this it shouldn't be much of a surprise:
https://twitter.com/PeteBlackburn/status/838204041633103872

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

Even though this would never happen nowadays, I'd love for the NHL to go back to having the top 16 teams in the league make it, regardless of conference/division. Then 1 faces 16, 2 faces 15, etc.

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

Las Vegas has their first ever player:
https://twitter.com/reporterchris/status/838829679419277312

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

MVP: Connor McDavid
Norris: Oscar "dreamboat" Klefbom
Selke: DA NUGE
Vezina: Cam Talbot
Calder:Matt Benning

:yeah:

To add to this:
Lindsay: Connor McDavid
Lady Byng: Oscar Klefbom
Adams: Todd McLellan

And after the playoffs, we can also have:
Conn Smythe: Leon Draisaitl

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

Then again, it's not very hard to be better than Kris Russell. :v:

I like Larsson, and while acquiring him has helped the Oilers D, that doesn't mean the Hall for Larsson trade is suddenly fair value (unlike what many others think now). I still hate the trade and wish we could've traded somebody else for Larsson instead of Hall. I'm just thankful the Oilers are doing well this season so that way I don't have to think "but what if we still had Hall?"

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/Real_ESPNLeBrun/status/839555515600486400
https://twitter.com/Real_ESPNLeBrun/status/839555637193363456

But how will we ever know what bad protections the GMs made? And better yet if there's any players who are hurt over not being protected?

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/IneffectiveMath/status/840755024972070912

Sorry Avs fans, the dream's dead.

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

corn on the cop posted:

elite tank game

Wow, look at how bad New Jersey's become thanks to that locker room cancer Taylor Hall!

Miss you Tay Tay :(

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

So after the Oilers got dominated by the Habs and got lucky they didn't lose 6-1, this loving quote comes out:

https://twitter.com/Sun_Tychkowski/status/841125000652369920

Like holy poo poo. That quote basically sums up how the Oilers have been playing ever since the All-Star break. They're way too complacent with where they are. They've been playing like poo poo in most of their games. They're 7-9-1 since the All-Star break, 2-4-1 in their last 7, they've gone from fighting for 1st in the Pacific to being in a wild card spot and being within striking distance of LA. They have 14 games left, 7 against the California teams and I seriously doubt they can win any one of those games. Hell, I even doubt they can win more than 1 of the 3 games they have against Vancouver right now.

Like, gently caress. This team is just so loving bad right now and they're going to miss the playoffs yet again after having a playoff spot for the entire season. And even if they do make it they'll just get swept by whoever they face. :smith:

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

Sharks Eat Bear posted:

MAF getting beat on a wraparound?! Why I never!!!

Johnny Hockey is legit tho, think I'm going to have to pull for the Flames or the Sharks from the west this year

If you're gonna cheer for an evil team out of the West you might as well go all in and cheer for the Hawks. At least they have a chance of winning the Cup.

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

A Typical Goon posted:

Lol. Laine could outscore Matthews by 10 points in 8 less games and he still wouldn't win the Calder

Well, it should be Laine if he outproduces Matthews, given the trend of "give the Calder to the rookie with the most points (more GP as a tiebreaker)". Like right now I'd say Laine wins the Calder with the 5 point edge, if Matthews gets within 1-2 points he probably wins because :lol: NHL writers.

I could also see Laine winning if he managed to lead the league in goals, which isn't out of the realm of possibility but it'd be tough with Winnipeg having played more games than any team in the league.

e: Pens got the NCAA free agent everybody wanted:
https://twitter.com/penguins/status/841775568412631040

Kilza fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Mar 14, 2017

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

Bolts win and pass the Leafs for a tie of the 2nd wild card spot with the Islanders. It'd be pretty great if the Bolts made it and the Kings and Leafs, who picked up rentals from the Bolts, didn't.

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/EdmontonOilers/status/842568907705597952

Already set a national record in his 3rd season, that's pretty good.

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

Mike_V posted:

The Blues schedule the rest of the season is laughably bad:

ARI-COL-VAN-CGY-ARI-ARI-COL-NSH-WPG-FLA-CAR-COL

I really don't see any way they miss the playoffs with that schedule.

The winning percentage from the opponents of all those games combined is 39.5%. It's almost impressive how easy a schedule the Blues have been given.

A bit late to this, but although the Kings are more than likely to miss the playoffs, they still have 3 games against Calgary and 3 against Edmonton left. So in theory if they win all 3 games they have in regulation against Edmonton or Calgary then they'd only be 2 points behind Edmonton (even number of games) or 3 points behind Calgary (with LA holding a game in hand). But even then they'd need some help to pass one of the two teams.

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

JawKnee posted:

I cannot cheer for the Oilers

What if the only way for Jim Benning to get fired was to cheer for the Oilers?

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

Caps are the first team to clinch a playoff spot. Only 15 more spots to go!

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

Martytoof posted:

I'm waffling between CBJ and Preds for my west team this year.

Good news! Columbus is an East team! You no longer need to waffle between the two.

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/NHLFlames/status/843569385398710272

The mumps continue to spread.

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

Oilers are now only 13 points away from clinching a playoff spot. If they can beat LA in regulation tomorrow, their biggest game of the season to date, then they'll only be 9 points away.

This is such strange territory and I can't believe how close they are to ending the playoff drought. I just hope they don't pull an Oilers and gently caress this all up.

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

Doctor Butts posted:

I got this funny feeling that the expansion draft is going to set the Blue Jackets back a number of years.

I seriously doubt any team is going to be set back a lot by the expansion draft. Well, except for Pittsburgh when they can't get rid of Fleury.

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

The Golden Man posted:

Matthew Tkachuk owns

Counter point: He's the biggest piece of poo poo in the league and therefore sucks.

https://twitter.com/NHLPlayerSafety/status/843986239619584014

Glad he got some kind of suspension for that garbage, even though he could've (and should've) been suspended multiple times through the season.

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

Holy poo poo, Oilers actually beat the Kings in regulation. That's gotta be it for LA, then. They're 11 points behind Calgary for 4th in the Pacific, 6 points behind the Blues for the 2nd wild card spot who have a game in hand + the easiest schedule and 8 points behind Nashville. It's hard to see them able to overcome the deficit and knock anybody out.

As for the Oilers, 9 more points (either won by them or lost by LA) until they officially clinch now. They're so close to officially breaking the playoff drought now, I can't believe it.

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

Powershift posted:

Talbot only 3 wins away from the most oiler goalie wins in a season ever. Mcdavid with a fire lit under his rear end is a magical thing. Mcdavid playoff hockey is going to be a treat for everybody.

McDavid was insane during the first period last night and could've easily had 5 points from that period alone. He also went around Norris Trophy Winner Drew Doughty like it was nothing:

https://twitter.com/EdmontonOilers/status/844002896945410048

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

Avalanche have 43 points with 10 games remaining, all but 1 of those are against playoff teams. They aren't reaching 50 points.

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

I'd be fine with the Jackets winning the Cup. They're not my first choice, but I'd much rather they won the Cup than some teams that will/could get in (Pittsburgh, Chicago, Calgary, Toronto to name a few).

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

xzzy posted:

Yeah but we don't understand the specifics of the process. Does credit go to the first person who announces it in a season, and their team gets the championship?

Clearly, in order to truly test this, we must all say that our team is going to win the Stanley Cup. This will surely ruin the N/V threads forever, turning it into complete chaos as people only post "THE [my team] ARE GOING TO WIN THE STANLEY CUP", but science dictates this must be done.

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

Powershift posted:

ducks suck, refs suck, Mcdavid got 3 points so it wasn't a total waste.

Now the oilers have 20 hours until they have to play again in colorado.

McDavid has been on the ice for all 7 goals the past 3 games, including getting points off 6 of them. Maybe the other 3 lines should consider scoring again?

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

Jamwad Hilder posted:

I think the playoff teams we have now are the ones we're going to end up with. The West is pretty much set and in the East the Islanders are the only ones who might sneak in, over either Toronto or Boston depending on how their last few games go. Tampa was looking hot for a while but I think they're too far back now.

I think Tampa still has a shot, given that they play Boston twice and Toronto once. But they're still going to need help from other teams even if they win those games. And if they can't win tonight's game against Boston that's probably it for them.

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

Well the Oilers are going to lose to the Avs. It's been a fun season, see you in October.

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

Kilza posted:

Well the Oilers are going to lose to the Avs. It's been a fun season, see you in October.

Oh, oops.

Seriously, though, that was one of the Oilers worst games of the season and the only reason they won was because the Avs are very bad. They need to be much better on Saturday.

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

corn on the cop posted:

it's actually 20

And they locked up last place since they can only get 18 points max.

I mean, jesus. How do you even begin fixing the Avs aside from waiting for the next Crosby/McDavid? Roy fluking that team into a playoff spot in 2013-14 has set them back several years.

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

In addition to McDavid having a 6 point lead for 1st, Draisaitl is now 10th in points with 69 (nice). They're also have the highest combined point total at 156, 3 better than Crosby/Malkin.

Draisaitl's gonna get paid.

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

Krime posted:

What body part will Crosby attack next?

Tune in tonight to find out!

Crosby will decapitate Ho-Sang for taking Lemieux's number. The refs will just stare and eventually let play continue as Crosby holds the head of his latest victim. Tomorrow, it'll come out that the decapitation was deemed a good hockey play, resulting in no discipline towards Crosby.

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

Stretch Marx posted:

Whoever ends up in WC2 is going to be so beat up.

It's okay, Washington will win the President's Trophy and whoever is the 2nd Wild Card will still take the Caps to 7 games. :v:

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

Thanks to the Sharks falling apart down the stretch, there's now a 3 way tie for first in the Pacific between the Ducks, Oilers and Sharks. Oilers play the Ducks once more, and the Sharks twice more. Ducks and Sharks don't play each other. We could see the Oilers go from 29th a season ago to winners of a bad division. :getin:

Also the Oilers can clinch a playoff spot on Tuesday with a win vs. the Kings. Unbelievable.

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

achillesforever6 posted:

I also hate whatever gypsy curse was put on this team this year with the injuries.

Turns out that's the price you have to pay after winning the Stanley Cup last year..

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

Good news: Lack is being released from the hospital tonight.

https://twitter.com/eddielack/status/846572022004154369

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

Fun fact: All 8 West teams in playoff spots can clinch by Wednesday at the earliest:
Tonight:
-Oilers beat the Kings in regulation
-Nashville gets at least a point against Boston
(Oilers, Sharks, Ducks clinch)

Tomorrow:
-Flames beat the Kings in regulation
-Blues get at least a point against Arizona
(Flames, Preds, Blues clinch)

The West is bad, and the non-playoff teams are really bad.

• Locked thread