Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Leafs lose by failing to trade Polak. Did GMs watch the last playoffs and notice how godawful he was with the Sharks or what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

CBJSprague24 posted:

I love when I have an excuse to post this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vggxJedsJw4

Jason Blake and Justin Pogge in the same video make me shudder and twitch a little.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Would you like to read hfboards Oilers fans earnest argue about how Larsson is/was a better fit for the Oilers than Subban would have been?

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I missed the 3rd period of the Leafs game and only now noticed that Rielly managed to hit -25 on the season while Gardiner is +25. Plus/minus is dumb and all but that's something. And to think Gardiner is the one who's prone to brain farts...

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Schlesische posted:

Isn't it also possible that Rielly is the one who has to defend far more behind such 2-way playing luminaries as Mitch Marner, William Nylander and Auston Matthews

Gardiner gets more favourable usage, yes, but it's not extreme enough to warrant a 50-goal swing. I meant mostly that it's ironic that that the guy accused of having no hockey sense and single-handedly causing goals against is rocking the barely-above-2 5v5 GA/60. Possession wise they're both about the same (50% for Rielly and 52.5% for Gardiner) considering usage.

Also Rielly gets most of his matchup minutes with Kadri. Meanwhile, Rielly's GA/60 is a splendiferous 4.79 with veteran two-way leader Tyler Bozak.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Good Canadian Boy posted:

They hold the second wildcard again though :') The team really needs Matthews to heat up again though. This cold streak has gone on for too long now.

Ungluing him from Zach "4 points in his last 23 games including a short-handed goal" Hyman might be a radical experiment worth trying.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Leivo could easily take Hyman's spot, even on LW. Hyman's already a RW playing on his off wing so why not give him a shot? Move Hyman to 4th line RW where he belongs and sit Soshnikov for a bit.

I'm not convinced that Leivo-Matthews-Marner and JVR-Bozak-Brown wouldn't work. Or hell, put Nylander with Bozak if they can't survive without a good skater/puckhandler. Kadri does fine stapled to Komarov anyway.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Koopa Kid posted:

Hyman is an actually ok PKer iirc, which is something. I don't think he should sit, just that he's over his head the way the team is currently constructed.

The elephant in the room when talking about the Leafs roster is always going to be Matt freakin Martin. Pretty crazy how a deal like that ripples through the entire team.

He scored a goal last game so he's immune to criticism for the rest of the season. Also hits. We know nothing's going to happen to him until a new, younger, smarter GM gets hired so whatever.

Actually, since Boyle came along, the 4th line has been running about ~60% CF%, so they're no longer a massive liability, although I assume they're still heavily sheltered.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

The Leafs just signed Miro Aaltonen, a slight 23 year-old playmaking left winger who had a good KHL season and was productive in Finland before then.

I think we've solved the Matthews left wing problem his playoff stats are baaaad though

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Stretch Marx posted:

I didn't get to watch the game but all I can say is

:bisonyes:

It was great and you should feel shame for missing out.

Kalenn Istarion posted:

Yeah what a stupid move, I hope he gets 10 so he has time to think on the morality of hurting other people over a game but doesn't miss playoffs

If there's one thing that Roman Polak excels at (there isn't) it's playoff hockey.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Nah gently caress you and gently caress the Oilers. McBackup's gonna lead the Leafs past the first round for the first time since let's not talk about how long it has been ok?

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Hand Knit posted:

How the hell is Taylor Hall giving an interview this interesting and articulate?

Maybe he studied hard and finally passed his bananna boating license test.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Any astute hockey mind would rather have Larsson and Lucic than say Hall and Demers, sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Hand Knit posted:

He plays on the top pair, but that has to be understood in the way that teams these days tend to split their 1 and 2 D, and for Toronto those two are clearly Rielly and Gardiner. Zaitsev is fine as a defenceman -- even possession in fairly tough minutes while producing on the powerplay -- so 4.5 million a year is fine short term, but 7 years makes me uncomfortable.

Yeah I'm not liking this trend of giving everyone salary and term. Why commit to 7 years of a defenseman you've only had 70 games to evaluate unless you see untapped potential? He's okay as a top four guy and young enough but I don't see him having a huge breakout season to make this a bargain and there's plenty of risk considering he doesn't really have a standout skill. The booming one-timer he was supposed to have in the KHL hasn't really shown up here.

• Locked thread