Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

Captain Internet posted:

As an aside, is it a rivalry because Pittsburgh crushed Chicago in the SCF in the 90's?

nah it's because it's a game that happens to be on a wednesday

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

JawKnee posted:

Anyone looking to defend Willie D this season needs to mount a defense of Jayson Megna playing (for several games) on the first line, with the twins.

haha i remember jayson megna. he's on a first line somewhere in the nhl??? wtf

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

this pleases me

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

Ekblad concussed. Poor guy. I didn't see a great angle but hit didn't even look that bad to me? Hope he can recover and stay healthy

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

lol who is that canucks d that totally blows the coverage on guentzel

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

Ginette Reno posted:

I wonder how much TOI has to do with it. The top scorers used to regularly average 20 or more minutes a night. Now look at the top. There's a few guys like Mcdavid and Kane doing that but there's also a ton of guys averaging less than 20. When Ovechkin scored 65 goals he played 23 minutes a night. When Sid hit 120 he played 20:46. This year Sid plays about a minute less at 19:46 and Mcdavid plays just around 21 mins a night which is on the high end of ice time.

Teams just don't lean on star players as much as they used to it seems. And of course there's less powerplays.

e: btw I still find it absolutely insane that Bure averaged 26:52 of ice time in 2000-01. Fuckin lol.

For reference:

Ovechkin
G/60 this year: 1.29
G/60 last year: 1.87
G/60 in 07/08 (when he scored 65): 2.05

Crosby
P/60 this year: 3.53
P/60 in 09/10 (season he got 109 pts and averaged 21:57 TOI. couldn't find data for 06/07 season): 3.68

ovechkin is clearly having a bad season in terms of his scoring rate, which is probably driven by a low S% and is a bigger driver of his underperformance than TOI (i'm too lazy to confirm these assumptions with math). crosby otoh hasn't seen as big of a drop off in productivity in points as ovi has in goals, which maybe suggests that TOI is a bigger driver of lower #s for sid than it is for ovi :pseudo:

OTOH as players age (even the elite ones) they probably can only maintain the same productivity with less TOI

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

MAF getting beat on a wraparound?! Why I never!!!

Johnny Hockey is legit tho, think I'm going to have to pull for the Flames or the Sharks from the west this year

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

Kilza posted:

If you're gonna cheer for an evil team out of the West you might as well go all in and cheer for the Hawks. At least they have a chance of winning the Cup.

Yeah tbh I just root for whichever team is playing the best hockey in the playoffs. Usually winds up being the hawks. Such is life

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

Kilza posted:

e: Pens got the NCAA free agent everybody wanted:
https://twitter.com/penguins/status/841775568412631040

people who follow NCAA hockey & prospects: who are the current NHL comps for a kid like this?

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

Not to rain on your parade, but even the 2017 Flyers shouldn't have a problem beating the current Pens roster. If MAF had played it would have been at least 7-0

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

Schlesische posted:

I mean come on. Sid played 20:59. Malkin played 17:24. Kessel played 14:39. They were a combined 0-0-0 -5 with 5 SOG.

I get that the defence is a tire fire, but if I am able to eat the fact that Carey "I am still the best player the Habs have had in over a decade" Price had a rough month in February, I think you can eat that your superstars had a bad game.

I thought Crosby had a very solid game. Malkin and Kessel could have been better but didn't look outright bad to me. I just have zero expectations for a Pens team missing Letang, Daley, Maatta, and for the 3rd period having only 5D with Hainsey out. Let alone the injured forwards.

I'm not complaining though, they've still found a way to win a bunch of games despite the injuries, largely propelled by Crosby and Malkin.

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

Mike_V posted:

The Blues schedule the rest of the season is laughably bad:

ARI-COL-VAN-CGY-ARI-ARI-COL-NSH-WPG-FLA-CAR-COL

I really don't see any way they miss the playoffs with that schedule.

I just looked at the standings this morning and thought "I wonder what the Blues schedule is like for the rest of the year...". And yeah, they really would have to take a catastrophic poo poo in the bed to miss. With that and CGY's hot streak, looks like LA is boned lol

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

Levitate posted:

People forget that the Caps can get out of the first round just fine, it's the 2nd round they blow it in.

Also, Price can absolutely steal a series or two even if the Habs in general aren't a very good team. Even if the Rangers get that 1st wildcard and are arguably a better overall team than the Habs I can easily see them losing because Price went into gently caress you mode

I'd be real down for a Cowboy vs the King goaltending duel

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

Gotta admit the leafs are pretty likable rn

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

Cartoon Man posted:

I don't care about points at all but I love the three on three overtime and hate the shootout. Get rid of the shootout, make the 3v3 overtime 10 mins, no commercials, and let games end in a tie if need be.

as much as i hate ties, i think i'd be ok with this so long as you don't get a point for a tie. wins = 1 point, loss/tie = 0 points.

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

I will never understand how anyone could be satisfied with ties as an outcome of a competitive sporting event

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

Levitate posted:

tbh since he relies so much on his speed I'm worried that a significant injury or just aging a bit down the road is going to really hurt his ability and production, BUT that's also just me being contrary

agreed, which is largely why he will never, ever, not in a million years, no sir, be as good as crosby. also sid is way more handsome

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

Hand Knit posted:

Because it is more fairly reflective of the teams' relative ability than the same game with a coinflip at the end to assign an extra point.

Yeah I'm not arguing in favor of an extra point. I just find the idea of a sporting event ending in a tie to be dissatisfying, and orthogonal to the whole purpose of sports, which is to separate winners & losers, not to measure teams' relative abilities as accurately as possible (it is not, after all, the Corsi Hockey League).

I agree though that the shootout is almost, if not as dissatisfying as a tie. 3v3 feels like the perfect compromise in terms of being able to quickly determine a winner while still relying on something resembling normal hockey gameplay. I have a feeling if they extended 3v3 to 10 minutes and if that went unresolved the game would end in a tie with no points awarded, we would see very few if any ties and we would see a lot of fun and exciting overtimes.

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

Aurora posted:

If he's so good why can't he beat Kane in points?!

i got some bad news for you

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

The Golden Man posted:

Things that are orthogonal to things rule

your dad's an orthogon

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

I feel like the Ducks are having the most unremarkable season of any team. It's just blah

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

If it's so bad to be missing a bunch of fingers, how do you explain my posting?

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

Crosbys better at everything* than everyone else in the league, including slashing lmao

*except skating really fast, I'll give that to Conn-dogg

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

CBJSprague24 posted:

a potential Calder winner if Matthews and Laine didn't exist this season

CBJ aren't poo poo anymore, we get it,, you don't have to go to ridiculous lengths at every chance to try to convince everyone that they're not total garbage

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

CBJSprague24 posted:

As for my original post, How many of the Pens regulars are expected to be back by the end of the first round? I haven't been keeping track other than Letang being a potentially long-term issue.

AFAIK there's a good chance we'll see Malkin, Sheary, Hagelin, Hainsey and Daley back for the playoffs. Hopefully Guentzel too but I haven't heard anything about severity of his concussion so who knows. And I don't think anyone has a timetable for Letang.

With today's roster, I don't think there's anyone here that could call the Pens a real contender with a straight face. but with a few more healthy guys then they'll be in pretty good shape. If Letang comes back then they'll repeat, of course

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

so it's agreed then. crosby owns and all his dirty plays, past and future, have been forgiven

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

hifi posted:

4.5MM puts you right at 56th in cap hit for defensemen so it's probably right at current market value

I also don't know who this person is, but even if the AAV seems OK, that seems like pretty crazy term for what I'm guessing is not a top pairing player

• Locked thread