Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
https://twitter.com/TheAHL/status/837128970093146112

Play the Buch, AV. Do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Zodijackylite posted:

Buch is awesome, a bit more playing time should help him get more used to making plays like that on narrower ice.

I mean that's the AHL so it should be the right size ice. With several guys injured he should really be back in

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

haha watching the highlights from last night and so many of the Bruins great chances were Staal and Holden just straight up loving up. Wow that pairing is terrible

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Rangers back to sucking eh

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Rangers decided they also needed more lovely players on their team and called up Glass

gently caress everything

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Av was really pissed at how they played last night but this is a bit much

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

To be fair Fast and Grabner are out and everyone looks like rear end and you at least know Glass will skate fast and try to hockey even if he can't

Ok that's not really an excuse

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Zodijackylite posted:

He starts against weaker competition, often in the offensive zone, and has success in the most sheltered minutes. He has offensive skills that are great in a certain role, but he's bad at defending in general. Last night, he deflected the first goal, went into the corner too late to support McDonagh and left a cross-ice pass open for the second goal, and missed a poke check on the third one (goal wasn't his fault, though.)

when he's good he's good when he's bad he's really bad. he's fine as a sheltered 3rd pairing guy but him defending is an adventure and despite everyone claiming "oh but he moves the puck so well out of his own end" it's often an adventure guessing where his passes are going to go

then again the whole rangers team seems to have gotten themselves stuck into the trying ot be fancy as gently caress but no one can make any passes and refuses to fight for pucks or forecheck worth a poo poo

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Brodeurs Nanny posted:

Interesting about Clendening. I haven't watched him closely but I've been hearing about how AV is nuts for not letting him play more because his possession stats are so good, but you've just described some of the downside with those metrics. It's why I always look at things like zone time and quality of competition; some guys shouldn't be playing more than 3rd-pairing sheltered minutes and I suppose he's one of them.

On the other hand, Brady Skjei has been getting better and better all season and boy does he look awesome right now. Rangers fans are lucky to have him.

I mean they'll then tell you that zone starts and QoC isn't important in these situations because *reasons* but yeah

thing is often when guys like Staal or Girardi are out there they aren't usually giving up high quality chances against because they committed really bad errors or turnovers (usually). But they give up the puck so much in other ways that their possession stats are bad and they are bad. Clendenning drives shots well I think and he is pretty good in the offensive zone and following the play, but when he fucks up oh boy he fucks up and he does it often enough that it's noticeable.

That said, I'm still kinda "eh" about evaluating the whole situation. Yeah you don't want him out there having to defend against really good players. Maybe he can move the puck out if he gets it but in the meantime he's going to be bad and his outlet pass might be a terrible turnover. I think with hard minutes you'd see his fancy stats crater, but who knows maybe I'm still blinded by the bad turnovers and defense without the puck

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

oh hah Reid Duke was a prospect camp/Traverse City invite for the Rangers last summer. I knew his name was familiar for some reason (I'm not a nerd who likes Magic)

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

ok seriously he has to have some relation to a member of the organization right

e: what in teh gently caress is this

https://twitter.com/J_Tasch/status/838883158678507521

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

fits posted:

holtby hasnt lost in regulation since december. hes Good

Having the best team in the league in front of him might have something to do with that?

Wins are a stupid measure of a goaltender, cmon now

Gunjin posted:

Orpik wasn't touching him after the second shove, they showed another angle on TV. My issue is he mad no effort to leave the crease, how long after you're pushed can you camp in there and block the goalie?

Yeah it should have been a waived off goal but no penalty IMO.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

I might hate the red wings specifically because of that play and their stupid terrible announcers

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Caps lose one game, fans freak out, water is wet

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Ginette Reno posted:

Why is he still in the league

he wasn't but now he is

has actually looked decent in two games but I'llnot be fooled

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Mind_Taker posted:

Sounds like Tanner Glass needs some top 6 time IMO. Can't ever have enough grit at the top of your lineup, especially in the playoffs.

Kreider's on the top line and he injured someone last night so close enough?

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

NHL GM's and owners are the worst and have no idea abou twhat's best for the game

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

oh god a dan girardi av lol

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

like, GMs are totally against the blueline being a plane which makes more sense and would speed up the game (I think linesmen have gotten more conservative about calling offsides after the review went in because they don't want to have to keep calling poo poo back) but oh no putting in more rules about icing and poo poo is the way to go and while we're at it gently caress your olympics

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

got so tired of looking at your other one

e: we are all girardi

thanks dude but when the Rangers buy him out this summer I guess we'll have to get new ones right I mean it's inevitable that he'll be gone...right? :(

e: regarding the cap I think it depends on if the players want to use their option to bump it or not

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Thufir posted:

Also: Stop loving around taking forever lining up faceoffs and kicking guys out and redropping the puck. Nobody in the crowd gives a poo poo if you're absolutely fair and faceoffs don't matter that much anyway.

The linesmen who fake drop the puck to see who's gonna cheat should be shot

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Sestito should probably just be banned from the NHL

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Guillotine

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Ginette Reno posted:

Sid has slowed down a lot lately (because loving Sullivan sticks Kunitz to his hip) but Malkin has gone into god mode to make up for it. First world problems yo.

It's not even out of the question the Pens could have three PPG players by the end of the year. Kessel isn't so far off.

I'm pretty sure Pens fans still really have no idea how lucky they are to have Crosby and Malkin and Letang all on teh same team. I mean, the gods have decided to make things fair and usually prevent them all from being healthy at the same time, but holy lol that they basically have two generational talent centers and that's after having two other of the best players to ever play the game

loving pittsburgh

DJExile posted:

I think Vezina's mostly just been straight up best goalie.

Except when Holtby won it last year for most wins instead of best goalie

And possibly a few that Brodeur won for the same reason

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

I'm actually pretty sure I read somewhere that Torts doesn't drink

e: and cool now Lundqvist and Nash are injured

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

I'm going to make Teamu Pokemon mad and say that I think Smith has been real good (at least for the last two games I watched) and he instantly became one of the best defenders on the Rangers because he actually loving has a clue about gap control and how to pressure people in the neutral zone and how to loving stay in position goddammit I'm looking at you Marc Staal

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

grack posted:

New York's D is a loving garbage fire so Brendan Smith being an improvement isn't much of a surprise.

the Rangers D is fine right up to the point where they actually have to play defense in their own zone and then it all goes to poo poo

So...yeah

But I haven't seen Smith do anything egregious at least lately and like I said he is actually good at some aspects of defense so that's nice

Matt Zerella posted:

McD and Skjei own bones and I like Smith but yeah, it's not fun with the wonder twins being idiots and Klein being awful this year.

McD, Smith, Skjei, and Holden would be 4/6ths of a decent defense then throw in a Shattenkirk signing and some random guy on the third pairing and it magically looks pretty good

McD-Shattenkirk
Skjei-Smith
someguy-Holden (or the other way around)

I'd take it

Too bad about Staal and Girardi and Klein

Levitate fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Mar 9, 2017

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

why wouldn't resellers just raise the price they resell for unless I'm missing something. If there's demand then people will still pay

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

zegermans posted:

So when's OV going to do that late season back-to-back hat tricks thing and leave everyone else in the dust?

Never, his days as an elite goal scorer are over. Crosby's both a better player and goal scorer and better playoff performer

RIP Ovechkin, you scored for awhile

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Mike_V posted:

Tarasenko is going to quietly win the Rocket Richard this year

The better Russian

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

JoelJoel posted:

He was on pace (more or less) until the injury and never seems to have hit his stride since coming back.

That said, I stand by my dumb opinion because zbad owns.

Yeah he said it has taken him a bit to get comfortable and not hesitate at times because of the whole broken leg injury.

He has also produced better than the guy he was traded for so woo

ThinkTank posted:

Why? I couldn't care less that Brian Gionta is on pace for 16 goals instead of 12 this year. This is the entertainment business. I want to see the best guys getting 50 goals and 100pts. There won't be either this year. I want to see players pushing each other for the scoring lead late in the season with constant big nights. Crosby has 3 points? Well, Ovie just bettered that with a hattrick and two assists.

Why has it become in vogue among hockey fans to say "there's nothing wrong with the sport and if you disagree you don't appreciate it right?" There have been three 50 goal seasons and two 100 point seasons in the last five years. Why are we all supposed to pretend that the Art Ross winner barely scraping 90 points is fun? It's not.

Ovechkins not even vaguely on Crosby's level anymore so lol at comparing them like you're NBC

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

JoelJoel posted:

Dallas last season was the most entertaining non playoff hockey in decades. Every other game would end 6-5 with the lead changing hand multiple times in the third.

I like a close checked game and blah blah, but all else the same, I'll take the game with more goals, every time.

Let's not talk about this season.

Rangers have also been pretty fun but what usually happens in the last part of the season/playoffs is that refs put away their whistles, obstruction and poo poo goes up, scoring goes down and every team tightens up so most goals are scored off of grinding it out in the corners and boring poo poo like deflections from crappy wristers off the blueline

Pens were actually pretty fun last year in the playoffs though as I recall

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Chad Sexington posted:

Why are you being mean to Ovi?

because he's mean to Lundqvist :mad:

Wonderllama posted:

Levitate will like ovi when he's 43 and playing for the rangers.

Maybe if he can still just stand in one place and hit dingers on the PP

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

whoa whoa I'm not supposed to know what you weirdos look like

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

xzzy posted:

Cleaning up some crux on an old hard drive, saw this.

http://i.imgur.com/vFUy5Yh.gifv

I think it deserved more attention than it got.

oddly enough I just watched JT Miller trip himself with his own stick between his legs

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

The Dirty Burger posted:

July 1, 2019 is gonna suck balls

As if we needed more proof they think of the players as property

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

ElwoodCuse posted:

Melnyk is right, there is no benefit at all to teams having guys go play in the Olympics

his reasoning behind it is really dumb though and they're going to have to deal with players who just say gently caress you I'm going and ditch their NHL teams (maybe...not sure this would happen but the Olympics are a big deal to a lot of players from countries not Canada or the US)

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

People forget that the Caps can get out of the first round just fine, it's the 2nd round they blow it in.

Also, Price can absolutely steal a series or two even if the Habs in general aren't a very good team. Even if the Rangers get that 1st wildcard and are arguably a better overall team than the Habs I can easily see them losing because Price went into gently caress you mode

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Overwined posted:

I tried to cry, but I just ended up laughing really hard then I blacked out and all the neighbors cats lay beheaded at my feet.

It's OK they're going to buy him out before it becomes an issue

Right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Guys that cheap shot other guys are only fun to have in the league if the league allows other guys to jump them and beat the poo poo out of them

since the league doesn't allow that then cheap shots are lame :(

• Locked thread