Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The press box.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I heard it's free dog whistle night at the Bell Center.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Checking an old man in the hip is super rude.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

JawKnee posted:

when does Columbus have to decide which 2nd they're sending to Vancouver for Torts? Do they have right up until the upcoming draft round in question?

Didn't they wipe that rule?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I thought Torts was more recent than that.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I think Montreal wouldn't mind giving up a 2nd to hire Julien.

Now or in 3 years in exchange for a Steve Ott, not a big difference.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Dalton Prout made a good defensive play on Marchand last night.

That's one more than Kyle Quincey ever has, so I guess we know who won that trade.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

We're just trying to tell you in your weird Columbus bubble that Quincey is way worse.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

That wouldn't be fair either. The only way to truly determine team rankings is if every team plays a control team an even number of times.

The current middle ranked team is the Islanders. So if every team played them 82 times a year, we'd know for sure where they really placed.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Gunjin posted:

The last shove was well before the goal, he had opportunity to leave the crease and instead boxed Holtby out. You can't just keep standing in the crease and block the goalie, even if you're pushed several seconds earlier.

You usually can and this is what teams who don't have the league's current darling have to deal with.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The Subban deal is fair in the average NHL exec and even fan's perspective.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Plus the Subban trade is great if you're looking at it from the Nashville side. They got a better, cheaper, younger guy for their franchise player trade.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I doubt the Canucks would agree to retain salary because that would impact their ability to win now.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

That totally changes the strategy of coach's challenges too.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

xzzy posted:

The hard part is the joints and seams, but I would think a species that can send humans to the moon could figure something out.

Well once we do, we'll start working on it.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They could call interference.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Levitate posted:

thanks dude but when the Rangers buy him out this summer I guess we'll have to get new ones right I mean it's inevitable that he'll be gone...right? :(

At least we still have Aaron Rome.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

If you ice the puck but make it to the bench before the whistle, that's okay and you can change.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Jamwad Hilder posted:

do you know who has the most points in the NHL since January 1? That's right, the wonderful Brad Marchand. 22 goals and 17 assists in 28 games. Also he's tied for second in the NHL in scoring which still surprises me every time I look at it (unrelated, Pittsburgh with two 70 point players already is stupid). Really glad he signed his contract last summer.

Second in goals and points.

Not assists though because like teaching, assists are for those who can't do.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Even if the award was most valuable goalie to his team, it would be voted as best overall.

Holtby should actually be out of the running since they seem to only care about SV% unless it's mitigated by some huge lead in another category. He'll probably get 3rd place. Darling's a backup so he won't get any consideration.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Yeah he didn't deserve it last year at all, but he had 8 more wins which was an entire 20% over the next guy and tied a record.

This year, Dubnyk is solidly ahead in SV%, just behind him in GAA, and about even in wins. 3 more shutouts shouldn't be big enough to push Holtby ahead.

The top SV% and a solid near top showing in every other category on the stats page should be a sure bet.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Mar 9, 2017

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

As a pretty, rich goon I am offended by this implication.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Also those fingers in it probably ruin the taste.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Blashill will be unhireable after he loses The Streak.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I know you guys want to think well of them, especially "Won't someone think of the children?!" Lemieux but the Penguins management is just as garbage as anyone else's and would have still used Sestito in the future were he not suspended.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The only way to settle this issue is to throw Malkin into a volcano.

Both teams will have gotten their blood, and Pele the fire goddess will be satiated for another generation.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Top faceoff guys in the league are like 55%. It's nearly dumb luck.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

fits posted:

i think most of his stuff is lost to time, but hes back writing for the athletic on similar topics

https://twitter.com/dellowhockey/status/839341527730110465

Considering a d-zone win usually means a clear, only seeing double the rate seems fairly minor.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Jehde posted:

Sid is right handed but shoots left, Ovie is right handed but shoots right. Sid has won 2 cups, Ovie has won 0 cups. Ergo you're poo poo if you don't shoot opposite of your handedness. QED

Checks out. Brad Marchand, the best player in the NHL, shoots left.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Not so fast, Claude.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I'm okay with that.

My blood circulates by hate alone.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

pseudodragon posted:

This actually seems legit though. If scalpers are getting $100 or whatever per ticket, why shouldn't the team cut out the middleman? If I'm paying for a game I'd rather it go to the team than some random dude...

It's not like anyone got tickets for face value anyways.

Because the scalpers are just going to raise their prices, Toronto can't control that.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I want to see Ovechkin fail and my opinion is worth more to advertisers statistically.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

DJExile posted:

Mason's likely gone after this year. They knew they'd have to choose one and it seems like they cast their lot with Neuvy. Lord knows why.

Hextall doesn't want to be responsible for Gudas shooting him.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Hockey will never leave you*

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Ginette Reno posted:

Apparently Mark Streit got hit in the balls last game or something so even the Pens' replacement d are getting hurt now. It's kinda stupid how this team can have like half of its roster out and still keep winning year after year.

e: for reference

hurt:

Matt Cullen C Undisclosed
03/14/17 Patric HornqvistRW Concussion
03/14/17 Mark Streit D Lower Body
03/12/17 Carl Hagelin LW Lower Body
03/08/17 Kris Letang D Upper Body
03/07/17 Bryan Rust RW Arm
02/23/17 Trevor Daley D Knee
02/17/17 Olli Maatta D Hand

Four top six d and three top nine forwards plus our best fourth liner :psyduck:

And yet Beau Bennett is fine.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Chows posted:

Krejci scored between Brad's 2nd and 3rd

There's 2 kinds of natural hat tricks. All in one period is another people use.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

An elite goalie makes at least one of them regardless.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

When I think coaches who will bench bad defensemen for good ones, I certainly think of Claude Julien.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Rivalries can't exist without enforcers.

• Locked thread