Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Speaking of MLS losing things,

http://deadspin.com/is-mls-a-ponzi-scheme-1797509617

Wow, could not possibly see that MLS is only afloat by bilking billionaires out of overpriced franchise deals, who in turn bilk taxpayers out of money for stadiums due to MLS's insane "you must have a brand new soccer stadium to join MLS" rule. Wonder how long this can last.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

R. Mute posted:

Maybe looking at your league as a business venture first is the problem.

I hope it dies and we get a normal league like any other country. I doubt the Costa Rican Super League or whatever the gently caress gets over-the-hill star players from Italy or England but they don't seem to have problems beating Trinidad.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Dallan Invictus posted:

I can't believe anyone is simultaneously arguing that US soccer culture should Punish Failure More Harshly but also fiercely defending the head coach that abjectly lost the first two games of the Hex after failing miserably at the 2015 Gold Cup (something which could have gotten him fired on his own in a country that cared about the continental tournament). :psyduck:

Multiple people have said he was a bad coach but his criticism of how bad the youth/league system is in the US was correct.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Popero posted:

Pro/rel and professional sports being operated for some undefined public benefit what else is on the wish list

a soccer league that is not dogshit

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Interesting point. I think it's really bad.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

XyrlocShammypants posted:

The only reason outside country size, relative interest in the sport, financial interests and entanglements, fickle fans who haven’t supported a club for 80 years not sticking around after relegation, having big city teams get relegated because we’re a dumb league of bad coaches and players and gaining poo poo markets to promotion.

It’s like saying you can build a new Hollywood all you have to do is mimic what they did and it’ll all work out

It worked for Japan, and South Korea despite the similar lack of soccer culture in those countries.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Who the gently caress is crying out for a broken down David Villa or some poo poo. Those people are dumb and should not be listened to. I do not want a retirement league that pays lots of money for old frauds and skimps on American talent, we should want a league that is very good at developing our players.

e) I checked and Australia, who have a similar awful soccer league to the US didn't even manage to automatically qualify from awful division AFC, that's really bad. They couldn't even beat Saudi Arabia. Maybe they should also implement pro/reg.

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Oct 19, 2017

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

camoseven posted:

Uh most people agree that MLS teams shouldn't sign old broken down Euro stars just to put butts in seats, but Villa has been a dominant player in MLS and has scored 20 goals this season. TBH using him as an example makes me think you don't actually know much about MLS

He is playing in a very very bad league full of awful teams and players.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Why do we think p/r would kill interest in the league when like half the teams looking to get an MLS franchise these days are because a bunch of assholes decided they wanted to get in on the tifo action at their local minor league club

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

G-Hawk posted:

has anyone looked at what happens to MLS attendance when teams are bad for a season or 3? What do you think happens when they're relegated?

I mean if the stereotype is that MLS fans don't actually care about the on-field product is true it shouldn't matter if Toronto FC is playing NYCFC or if they're playing the Carolina Railhawks or whatever

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Dallan Invictus posted:

It's great if you already HAVE too many competitive teams and need a way to sort them out (though it is not the only way to do so), but it's not going to make people start more teams in places that don't actually care about the sport enough to make those teams sustainable even when the team is bad, and it's not going to make people care about the sport that don't already care.

one of the entire points of the J-League moving to their current structure was to encourage people to start professional soccer clubs. You know what discourages people from starting pro soccer teams? A $100 million dollar franchise fee.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

camoseven posted:

You called him "broken down" and a "fraud", so then I point out that he's actually been very, very good, and you say it doesn't matter? You could have used Pirlo as an example of a terrible signing (he's even on the same team as Villa!), but you didn't which makes it clear you don't actually watch MLS and just enjoy talking poo poo. So thanks for your input, but maybe go back to the pro wrestling threads cause frankly we have enough know-nothing poo poo talkers passing through here already.

Do you think me picking an old player who has actually been successful in MLS has anything to do with the broader point of MLS's drawing value being focused on old past-their-prime players to the detriment of US talent, or are you just trying to make a zinger

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

G-Hawk posted:

On the other hand it encourages people to start clubs who have the financial capability of keeping those clubs going and a long term plan

I think you have a far more generous outlook on people who will spend $100 million dollars on a team in a league that loses lots of money than you probably should.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

G-Hawk posted:

and yet in the multi decade history of soccer leagues and teams in the United States, MLS is the only league that has ever managed to be stable, and majority of its clubs have been stable.

There's a term for a money-losing investment scheme which stays afloat by finding more and more dumb rich people to buy into it, and I'm pretty sure it's not "stable".
'

e) the charitable thing to say is that they're loss-leading until they land a big money TV deal but there's no guarantee they can get this, and no guarantee that they can continue to get people to buy in indefinitely

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Oct 19, 2017

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Dallan Invictus posted:

The more useful critique of your point is that it is massively out of date: there are basically three people in the entire league that fit that stereotype today ("old, past-their-prime, and only acquired to sell tickets"), and only one of them has actually been bad (and he is retiring). The new hotness for international signings is "twentysomething fringe players from better leagues or tiny South Americans looking for a bigger stage" - and that's actually worked out rather well.

It was brought up specifically because someone said MLS fans were "crying out" for big name marquee players from overseas.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
The reason people are lining up to pay $100 million to become a sports franchise owner in a money losing league is that rich people are very stupid and like spending lots of money on status symbols like sports teams. I can't believe you've lived in America for this long and not realized this.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
as said before the real money stream the league and franchises will depend on is TV revenue which has yet to materialize.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Perhaps promising teams with large fanbases would do better in USL if there were some sort of big incentive for finishing top. Not sure what that incentive could be though.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

This league is very bad.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
What if we did the best of both worlds and potentially had like, an American version of a popular Mexican soccer club in MLS

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

he's an aston villa legend op

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
There was a famous rumor that the city of Baltimore was going to seize the Colts by eminent domain right when they moved out of town overnight.

• Locked thread