Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
Soccer is on tonight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
We're still waiting for comment from D.C. as to their opinion on credentialed supporters punching women. It's of great interest to the rest of us at the moment.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

I love explain-RFK-to-yuppies articles

camoseven posted:

Did someone get punched at the game, or...?

A woman was assaulted in the parking lot by a credentialed supporter for not giving back a flag. You know. $3 worth of vinyl and PVC.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

JFairfax posted:

hahaha loving hell

also. what the gently caress is a credentialed supporter?

The various leaders of the groups who have field level access to grab stuff and enter/leave as needed. Usually given to long timers and service oriented folks. Not lady punchers.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
WHY DID YOU HIRE PETKE

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
Seriously Petke is a great hire and he'll get RSL back to where they belong quick enough. He's good, and anyone who's taking a spot some useless Adrian Heath type might try and fill is a net benefit for the league.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
So former D.C. (And now retired) GK Charlie Horton is suing the team, Olsen, and Fabian Espindola for his career ending concussion suffered...after a film review.

Everyone on my team needs to wear Kevlar helmets just to survive.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
It's that new Petke bounce.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
Yes, better to be joyless and disdainful of everything, quietly annoyed by all you see

I know D.C. is a miserable place to be these days but sheesh dude

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
The NFL is collapsing in upon itself in a wave of gently caress The NFL.

We did it guys.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

Shrapnig posted:

MLS: We Have Concussions Too

Speaking of, thanks for killing Birnbaum with a Curse of the Black Spot. Concussions in DC are the equivalent of Michael Corleone's kiss of death.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

I mean they had nowhere to go but down. And it's happening faster than I anticipated, which suits me.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
D.C. still at the bottom of the league in payroll, which still shows you what's up with this league. It's not blowing out the bank for Euros, though it doesn't hurt. It's all about team construction and good management. And we've had the most consistently brain dead manager in North America for eight god damned years.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
Don't worry guys, soon you'll have a place that costs too much in public funding that rips your culture from anything connected to the thing you like

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
You know how bad Curt Onalfo is?

He's the guy Ben Olsen replaced

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
Seltzer it's okay, I like my affordable seats and history too, let's be friends on this point

Audi Field is gonna be a sad place to be, since it's clear that the FO and MLS at large think they'll finally get the well-to-do defense contract Republicans they've been trying to market to this whole time. And RB at least has the luxury of being a joy to watch. DC plays ugly, workmanlike football on a good day, and it's the fresh talent who wasn't taught Bennyball who make the team work.

I want to love my team, but man, they make it hard.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
Nobody cares about an underground Marxist group except weirdos on the internet, who then complain about weirdos in real life

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

Aves Maria! posted:

on the plus side for the Fire, they can actually score goals

What the gently caress is a goal

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
So we all know DC United is a bad team, but we're on the cusp of history this week!

We've reached 665 minutes without a goal in the run of play. The record is 824 minutes, set by Toronto (naturally). DC will reach this milestone in the 69th minute (nice) of their match at Philadelphia, should they fail to score against Atlanta on Wednesday. Atlanta, of course, is the last team DC scored against in the run of play. That was April 30th.

Of course, my figures aren't factoring in injury time, and I don't know if we should, because it would be even funnier.

E: we're past protests. We need guillotines.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

trem_two posted:

DC will definitely score against Atlanta

I'll bet you twenty (20) American dollars that they won't. Proceeds to the charity of your choice.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

trem_two posted:

Cool, I'm in, you name the charity if they don't score.

I'm feeling good about your chances now, because oh man. Oh man. Here come those reinforcements.

https://twitter.com/soccerinsider/status/877190357766811649

A Rowdy on loan. That's how cheap we are.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

camoseven posted:

Deleted tweet, what did it say?

Said we got Deshorn Brown on loan from Tampa Bay.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
Oh my word it's even better, we traded allocation money and an international roster spot to Houston for the right to use the allocation order for THIS guy.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

Star Man posted:

I mean, Deshorn Brown was one of the Rapkids in 2013 and was runner-up for rookie of the year, right behind teammate Dillon Powers and has the third fastest goal in MLS history. Not that it means Brown will make DC a top-flight team, but he's not that bad.

Would you pay that price?

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

joshtothemaxx posted:

Has Ben Olsen been fired yet?

Every time someone asks, he gets another year on his contract

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

Shrapnig posted:

Freddy Adu is available for free.

Seems like a DC front office kind of move to me.

God drat it don't say that they'll hear you

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

B.B. Rodriguez posted:

Mwahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!

:cawg:

Your coach was so bad we fired him IN FAVOR of Ben Olsen.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

B.B. Rodriguez posted:

Just. Yeah. Embarrassing. Outscored 17-3 in 4 days and 3 games.

Onalfo out.

Hey remember when you thought you were better off than DC

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
992 minutes in between scoring against Not Atlanta in the run of play is over. Multiple goals away from home, and all it took was sacrificing our brand new striker that we overpaid for.

We're actually tied for worst GD now with RSL and Minnesota, which says less about their ability to defend than it does about our inability to score. This team can't overcome a two goal deficit. Can't pass, can't defend, can't shoot on frame. We're now into the ninth year of defensive-third triangle passing between the DMids and GK. The only spark of creativity comes from a mid season import that we'll hammer the spark and life out of in the offseason.

There is no hope until the ownership flips this franchise like they've meant to this whole time. Until then, there'll be happy moments, a fun game somewhere against a trash team, and then the inevitable season-ending bollocking against some team with a competent manager and attacking flair.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

B.B. Rodriguez posted:

I still think we are. You're going to keep your coach.

Ha, you've still got hope

That's the real mind killer

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
Went to work, sad I was gonna miss the game. Checked the score at halftime, sad I missed the game. Saw the final, decided not to buy tickets for Saturday because Jesus Christ

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

joshtothemaxx posted:

Ho boy do I have a Saturday game for you.

I talked myself into it. Toxxing now: I'm staying the gently caress away on August 5th. These bitches don't get my loving money anymore

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

Dallan Invictus posted:

Who is scripting this season? I owe them a beer.

The Marquis de Sade, I think.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
Aww, baby has hope

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

joshtothemaxx posted:

Hope you stayed away today Fancy. What the gently caress was that.

I was at a wedding in a forest park, no signal, no data, just lovely people dancing badly and a rousing rendition of Bohemian Rhapsody (or "BoRhap," as the bride described it). It was a great day. I regret nothing. And I regretted nothing BEFORE seeing the score.

Guillotine them all.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

Crazy Ted posted:

Not MLS but hey it's US soccer related...

Apparently some crazy fucker made the 27-hour drive from Indianapolis just so he can see Indy Eleven play in Edmonton. Surely there's more efficient ways to see your favorite futboal team

Oh word, is that all

Seeing the continent from a car is one of the most fun things in the world, and everyone who believes otherwise either hasn't done it or had a terrible road trip partner.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
So all the DCU news dropped this evening.

1) We actually pursued Wayne Rooney. It didn't exactly go well.

2) We're in serious talks with Nigel de Jong. Hide your ankles, bitches.

3) Ownership actually IS trying to sell, which is awesome. They reached out to Ted Leonsis (Wiz/Caps/Mystics/40% of Arena Football) which would be legit incredible. They also reached out to Dan Snyder.

If they sell United to Dan Snyder, I'm out. I'll support Baltimore, I'll support Philly, I'll get ten friends and suck in some NPSL feeder league. I don't care. But Jesus Christ that would be everything awful in the world.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
Hey man, I've had Carlos Ruiz on my team

It's not fun

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
I like soccer. Am NOT going to tonight's game due to bronchitis and general anger at D.C. (MLS isn't a Ponzi scheme, but my club is run like a timeshare scam.) I like soccer which makes watching my local side painful. If Baltimore gets a USL side, I'll probably try them out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

whypick1 posted:

Are you forgetting the Univision English announcers?

They're bad but entertaining in their badness. Fox are just bad.

• Locked thread