Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

Star Man posted:

The only reason Pablo isn't going to be trapped in an iron maiden after this season is because the FO will be like: "Well, at least we weren't as bad as DC" and it will be another 997 years of darkness.

It's a deadman's switch, Ben and Pablo Blood Pact

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

Gigi Galli posted:

Imagine if the Revs won an away game. Just think about it.

Y'all travel to RFK at the end of the month. You will win.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
So we signed a new team and spent money. Huh.

So Paul Arriola comes at a discount because he's a youth DP, Zoltan can actually finish, We Got Our Defensive Midfielder, and we signed one of Travis Worra's high schools flings. Neat.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

whypick1 posted:

DC-RSL got rained out yesterday and resumes today.

And $10 tickets and free parking, which is basically how it should always be.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
Alright D.C., you're up

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
Stadium news: DCU front office has informed all the supporter groups that there will be 2,000 tickets total between them all. The regular crowd at RFK is easily triple that, likely 4-5x (and always half or more of the total attendance). No safe standing, as promised by the architecture company. So let's jam half your fanbase into half of one end of the stadium and continue with the lie that every game will sell out with regular folks on the same Saturdays that the Nats are in town.

These folks are astounding in their ignorance, and they're about to lose their shirts for incompetence.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

clandestine cactus posted:

The Connecticut Yankees in Don Garber's Sport

Oh my god

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

all-Rush mixtape posted:

My guess is so as to get more people watching on TV. Your average Joe is going to be watching the NFL on Sundays and college football on Saturdays.

If we had a traditional day like that, it'd be fine. Instead, ain't nobody know there's a Tuesday playoff game unless you're already a hardcore junkie. Can't grow the game that way.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

camoseven posted:

DCU have won three games in a row, and all were shutouts. What the gently caress.

Jalen Robinson has played his way onto the starting XI. He's everything they hyped him to be.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
D.C. Held a season ticket thing today, complete with players answering inane questions about why they love DC (in 2017, of all times). To my knowledge, they refused to answer definitively whether the supporter section was safe standing, as originally promised, but selling tickets at nearly double the price from this year.

Me and the Queen Vic on H Street are gonna get real cozy.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
I'm still rooting for Providence.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
D.C. released their ticket plan for Audi Field today. 1,500 spots in the supporter section, and the only way in is through a season ticket.

There's about to be a precipitous drop in supporters next year.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
If Baltimore gets a USL team, I will become a Baltimore supporter.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

Dallan Invictus posted:

Yeah, um, individual lovely owners/lovely FOs will always be with us whatever the structure of the league (barring the revolution and the dictatorship of the proletariat, anyway). Hell, sometimes it is the SAME lovely owners.

That said I'd like to reiterate:

Fancy, how's that compare to the supporters' section at RFK though (aside from the ST requirement anyway)?

It's not 1,500 people strong. The supporters side is the TV side, and I would wager they're about 2500-3500 on any given match day. We buy game by game from our various people; Barra and Ultras make it a bit more unstructured, and the Eagles have it more orderly. We can order our tickets day of, or reserve ahead of time without penalty if we don't take them all.

It's been very loose and lasseiz-faire and it's worked for 22 years. In terms of advertising, our word of mouth is all they've had since probably 2011, because there were bus ads for Dax McCarty (THE ENGINE) the last time they tried.

They really, truly believe that the stadium is going to solve all their problems, and that season tickets are going to fall like rain instead of game day purchases. They're gonna be right for a few games, and then the pile of three-a-week home games to make up for the nearly full away game slate to start the season is going to make RBA look like the Big House. It's gonna be bad, and they don't care, because they can still report a profit compared to RFK.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
Like, the only reason I show up now is for my friends, because eight years of Benny Ball and an increasingly hostile front office has made this feel like a chore, and they're counting on us to be addicts. And gently caress y'all, I know how to kick that poo poo.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

Considering we're still paying Chris Rolfe to live in the Safeway in Alexandria, that's some poo poo. gently caress the Quakes

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
Jay Heaps is out in New England.

Only Peter Vermes is longer tenured at his club than Ben Olsen.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
[citation needed

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

Nostradingus posted:

Up the sportings, etc. This will make our first round playoff exit more palatable, again.

They're consistently Good. Is that more or less frustrating?

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

Crazy Ted posted:

In MLS, consistently good is fine because as long as you're consistently good you can stumble your way into some silverware.

unless you root for the New York Red Bulls

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

Audi Field will look great on TV.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

Ungratek posted:

It's a U-12 game where it is pay to play. They don't bother actually cutting players until the u-13 level

I somehow get the uneasy feeling that my tax dollars are supporting his soccer career

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

Jermaine Dildoe posted:

Couldn't you say something similar about any government employee that puts his kids into any after-school activity?

Sure, if you wanna get into the false equivalence game

Look I know full well that this is not the biggest or even halfway relevant thing to get angry at DC United for, but it's something new every loving day with these assholes. Jose Andres had to record himself promising he was gonna hire the pupusa ladies from RFK to make pupusas for Audi Field, and I don't even believe him.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

Tigren posted:

I don't understand what the issue is here. A kid is playing soccer in your team's childrens league. What's the problem?

gently caress the Trump family?

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

Tigren posted:

Agreed, but imagine how many other racist parents have children on that team.

gently caress them too?

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
I mean I'm not going in, I wasn't going in before that, they tried to sell the team to Dan Snyder and I've been to like one game since that came out

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
That sounds awesome actually

E: just saw the Make A Wish thing and seriously, it's so easy. Do good works and serve your city. Good for the Timbers and good for that kid and it's not the league that sucks. It's D.C.

Your Boy Fancy fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Sep 23, 2017

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
This may come as a shock to some, but it's nice to have hobbies that don't involve politics and current events, and this is mine

I don't like the latter reaching out to the former to drag it in

I'm not saying shoot the kid, I'm saying I want him to gently caress off

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
I want the eleven year old boy to gently caress off, yes.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

Dallan Invictus posted:

This is literally the logic Team MAGA uses to complain about Colin Kaepernick, you realise? Except that this kid is literally doing even less that's objectionable than Kaepernick is.

Oh word, what was Barron Trump protesting

Look, I'm freely admitting this is a stupid rear end hill and I'm not fully reasonable, and I simply don't care, please let me be unreasonably mad online

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

Dallan Invictus posted:

But yeah, agreed, this topic is going nowhere useful so I'll drop it. :psyduck: I hope Olsen is fired and Thohir/Levien sell anyway, you guys deserve better.

We're at eight and a half seasons of Ben Olsen, who's won one (1) trophy in that span. And there's this amazing blindness from inside and outside the organization - the long time supporters love him from his playing days and genuine devotion to the club, and his contract is for peanuts. And that's what the shame of it is; he really does love this place inside and out. I'd love to shift him into Frankie Hejduk mode of being the man who gives a gently caress and tells stories before games. He's legitimately a nice guy and a good guy. I love him to bits as a human being. And I wish he had a different job.

Whomever they sell to, it will be for a profit, and I'm terrified if we get some other Bain Capital rear end Motherfuckers.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
Hey, if the talent pool can bear that, I'm all about it.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

joshtothemaxx posted:

I agree with this banner.

It's our personal favorite.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
DC has won four of their last five, and are still rooted to the bottom of the East.

It's almost impressive.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

Gigi Galli posted:

Being worse than New England this year is very impressive actually.

I wonder which team actually has more hope for the future. Both fanbases are just sort of praying for ownership changes, it sounds like.

I've seen a few Revs games this year, and you're at least watchable, just not very good? We've gotta live with 688 minutes of no goals (except the Ortiz flop). Would building a set of bleachers somewhere in fucken Portsmouth or something be better than the current hell?

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
Sarvas is the hottest trash. Like a poor man's Dejan Jakovic.

Marinate in that thought.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
The whole system of American soccer needs a complete rethink, and it's not going to happen until the money marks collapse. Introduce relegation and allow those baby teams to grow naturally. The Original 96 teams are varying levels of mediocre oligarchy - LA didn't win because it bought all the best players, they won because Robbie Keane treated MLS defenses like toys.

Can I tell you guys something hilarious? DC put all its chips on Audi Field coinciding with a World Cup bump in attendance. This was going to be the catapult. And let's be honest - my home team is the perfect example of institutional rot in American soccer. The first dynasty became a blueprint - invest in South Americans with a steady paycheck. And when that dried up, they went to an academy that produced two major talents in Bill Hamid and Andy Najar. Now it's pay for play that lets Barron Trump pretend he's just a regular boy. A stadium that hums with energy when given a chance reduced to literal rubble and rust. And the hope is to Flip This Franchise on a promise of bargain basement internationals and 30something MLS vets. They spent DP money on Paul Arriola on the idea of "hey look, a USMNT player!" And boy oh boy, did that just lose it's loving luster.

American soccer can succeed if it becomes a sporting competition instead of an exhibition in okayness. That's the trick. Give everyone a reason to adapt or die. A lot of these awful business models based on "we're all there is, Love it or leave it" will wither on the vine. It's time.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
Like, we talk about whether the quality of the league has stagnated or not. I legitimately can't tell, because I've had eight and a half years of Ben Olsen soccer, which is the worst quality possible. I see other teams as a legitimate breath of fresh air - Kansas City's long passing game, Jersey's high-tempo press, Atlanta's excellent mix of tempo and flair, Portland's offensive wizardry...there's good teams out there, and all of that is colored by seeing them play against a team that's spent nearly a decade in the backpass-hustle-heart-and-individual-effort style. And because there's no consequences for lacking ambition, we have this melange of teams that can simply exist for their own sake. Our story is an old one, and it lacks no connection to today or tomorrow. The stories of the newer teams are more vibrant and vital, and they should absolutely take the vanguard of what American soccer can be. But instead, we have half a dozen zombie teams with zombie legacies and no real reason to grow. When that sense of need to adapt dies, so does a team, or a league, or a sport.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
Klinsmann failed to develop a generation, got stymied by the entrenched warlords on the youth level, then killed an entire cycle by importing Germans who could pronounce the local US military base correctly. He was brought in to change the culture, and instead he brought about the beginning of the end. It's not all his fault - Gulati is where the buck stops - but he was a disaster disguised as a savior.

Arena took the scraps and made chicken salad out of chicken poo poo. But even he fell into hubris. Not rotating the team when it's all to play for is an absolute crime. His selection of defenders was dire, and the insistence on the old and inadequate was bound to haunt us in time.

Bob Bradley did more with less. He won with Charlie Davies and Benny Feilhaber, for gently caress's sake. So maybe it's the systemic rot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
Ben Olsen For America

• Locked thread