Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

shirts and skins posted:

Man, if that's Zardes at his best this year then I'd hate to watch him at his worst. He looked awful.

Was gonna post this, he's a loving donkey.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Wrong thread.

Holy loving poo poo that looks bad.

It's like they took the movie Goal and Playmakers (ESPN show that made the NFL threaten to pull their support of the channel) and mashed them together and threw in a Quebecois accent.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

JayMax posted:

A character talked about being the first female coach in "the MLS", so I figured this was the thread,

The Weekend Web thread is the correct thread.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

How many of those TFC players were actually Canadian?

I bet it was zero.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

camoseven posted:

Cool go watch and post about another league if you're so sure this poo poo is gonna fail

Just because your team is insanely bad doesn't mean you should make insanely bad posts about things.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Dallan Invictus posted:

I kind of agree with this much at least, except that that pessimism extends to the Euro leagues (and basically all other televised sports) as well. Sky is already squeezing blood from stones to pay for the PL's TV deal, and frankly that isn't sustainable either. Even less so, really. I'm not arguing that this leaves MLS in a better position for not having had that TV money in the first place - more that the whole landscape of money and sports is due for a shakeup when that bubble bursts and we'll honestly just have to see what happens.

Are we really going to compare Sky's four year £5.2 billion TV deal for the Premier League with MLS's eight year $700 million TV deal?

When that deal was signed we're talking about more than ten times the money for half of the duration.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Say we cut both deals in half for the next contract. MLS folds at worst or greatly struggles at best and the Premier League will be just fine because there are 200 other countries that will pay for TV rights to the Premier League while there are two who would pay for MLS TV rights.

No one stays up until 4am to watch Real Salt Lake play but there are plenty of people who will watch a 4am Premier League game in the US.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Seltzer posted:

Shep messing is alright imo.

I chatted with him for a bit at MLS Cup 2008, he's a good dude.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Nostradingus posted:

I'd laugh at this but the last time I made fun of an old guy signing, it was Schweinsteiger and it actually worked out

He's still only 32, goddamn.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Which dos Santos is the good one

Both, but also neither.

Gio featured heavily for Barcelona during a season where they didn't win anything and his career has nosedived since. Jonathan was always supposed to be the better of the two but turned out to be a below average midfielder in La Liga.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

all-Rush mixtape posted:

I don't know why it just dawned on me, but Real Salt Lake has FC Barcelona's colors. THAT'S hosed up.

No it isn't.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Tomorrow's Headline: DC United Extends Ben Olsen's Contract by 69 years

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

binge crotching posted:

:stonklol: What the loving gently caress. Red Bull Stadium is available on the 23rd, but I guess that would have been too easy.

gently caress off, we're full.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

binge crotching posted:

And why the gently caress are the conference finals being played on a Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday?

Because the NCAA and NFL exist in the fall.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

MBison Yes.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Star Man posted:

Someone please find Stan Kroenke and drag him to his stadium in Commerce City kicking and screaming and have him drawn and quartered before a live audience, sell his poo poo team to loving any one willing to buy it, and forget that there ever was an MLS team in Colorado.

Something something Arsenal.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

The good news from that article is that worst team name ever Rayo OKC folded.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

I don't get it.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

NYC3

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Your Boy Fancy posted:

D.C. released their ticket plan for Audi Field today. 1,500 spots in the supporter section, and the only way in is through a season ticket.

There's about to be a precipitous drop in supporters next year.

Tom is right about MLS and it makes me sad.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Papal Mainframe posted:

Open Cup final hype. (Here's hoping that it doesn't go to PKs :eng99: )

Red Bulls gonna win.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Your Boy Fancy posted:

unless you root for the New York Red Bulls

Mods!

Technically the Red Bulls have won two consistency trophies.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Your Boy Fancy posted:

I want the eleven year old boy to gently caress off, yes.

You're irrationally upset about a child playing soccer.

Take a step back and think about that.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Crazy Ted posted:

It's like a U-11 or U-12 team. Those are generally pay-to-play, no tryouts involved.

Of course, not that some adults aren't trying to ruin youth sports even more. I recently saw a Facebook posting in SE Minnesota advertising U-10 traveling baseball with a tryout schedule. We're now making nine-year-old kids audition for teams.

I started playing travel soccer when I was 9 and there were most definitely tryouts.

Y'all are soft as gently caress.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

I'm glad the Red Bulls haven't won in like two months. Really really glad.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

I wonder if Cyle Larin went.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

The MLS business model is a disgusting cash grab and the level of the play regresses every year they add an expansion team.

MLS should be a 12-16 team league at most.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Crazy Ted posted:

I can't remember: isn't one of Garber's unofficial official positions that new stadiums need to be artificially small in capacity to create the fake image that there's a lot of demand for ticket sales?

Red Bull Arena is an absolutely fantastic stadium to watch a match in and it's always half empty.

10000 people is still a pretty good number for the caliber of play MLS produces.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

10000 is 40% of the capacity for Red Bull Arena.

And yes, the prices are too high. You could pay $60 for tickets in the first 10 rows or just walk down there a half hour into the game with your $15 ticket.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

No one cares about the TV if the product is poo poo.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

bewbies posted:

I honestly don't know what youth soccer is like in other countries, but now i'm pretty curious. It was pretty fun for me as a kid, I played at the highest skill level available locally until I lost interest. Parents were generally cool, it wasn't that expensive, and it seems now like a good developmental environment.

cut to today, it seems absolutely awful to me as a new "competitive" soccer parent. Like, why are 9 year olds traveling to different states to play in 3 day long tournaments? is your 9 year old so good at soccer that he can't find sufficient quality competition in your hometown? also, why am I paying over $100 a month for prepubescent soccer? why do people think you can tell who is going to be good at soccer when you're 9?

Youth soccer is a money making scheme, not a development process in the US, and to be fair every other country. The few extraordinary talents who actually make it fuel that. There's a .0018% chance of making it as a professional athlete across all sports.

The difference in the US and other countries is the structure, mostly that the US has none. Marcus Rashford has been a Manchester United "player" since he was five, Lionel Messi has been a Barcelona "player" since he was 12.

The biggest detriment to US Soccer in my opinion is the high school and college game. The emphasis on technique and tactics stagnates and the quality of play drops off a cliff. NCAA soccer's level of play is shockingly bad and if I were talking to a kid who was high school age and had the ability to be a pro soccer player I'd tell him to skip the NCAA entirely and go on trials at European clubs and get into their setups.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

bewbies posted:

point being, there's no earthly reason why pro clubs here couldn't use the same approach as european clubs do. they might even end up making money on the deal...sell a quality player to a european club and fund your youth system for a decade!

The fact that MLS is a Ponzi/Pyramid scheme doesn't really incentivize the clubs to really push youth talent because they then have to share the profits with everyone else. Most if not all MLS clubs now have a youth structure but it's very much the part-time, go to high school/college, play with us on the weekends approach that doesn't work on the international stage and doesn't develop players technically.

The biggest failure of US soccer is that they don't develop players who are technically gifted. Obviously there are the rare exceptions, we can go back to players like Claudio Reyna or John Harkes, and through to Dempsey or Donovan(and even that's a stretch since he spent a couple years in a European youth setup) but don't think for a second that US Soccer had anything to do with the type of player Christian Pulisic has the potential to be.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

B.B. Rodriguez posted:

Well, NASL is folding so it seems we're doing ok on that front.

MLS is dogshit so what does that make the folding NASL?

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

paddyboat posted:

Make Austin Great Again

Austin is Cascadia except it's hot and miserable instead of rainy and miserable. I'm sure they'll have the same pants on head retarded fans too.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

G-Hawk posted:

For one last thing on that point:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017_FIFA_U-17_World_Cup_squads#United_States
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_FIFA_U-17_World_Cup_squads#.C2.A0United_States
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2005_FIFA_U-17_World_Championship_squads#.C2.A0United_States

Compare where the kids on the u17 team right now are playing compared to the team 6 years ago, much less 12. The majority of the current team are playing either in a MLS team, academy or a European academy, with a couple exceptions. They're already in a professional structure. 2005 looks like a whos who of pay to play youth programs that fed into college soccer. Its a big difference.

One of the exceptions on the 2017 list, Josh Sargent, signed a contract to move to Werder Bremen in January.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

XyrlocShammypants posted:

They are all poo poo. All of them

And yet they're still a better route to developing into a professional soccer player than the NCAA.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Crazy Ted posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it's not even a full-scholarship sport in the NCAA, which is why players can transfer without having to sit out a year, right?

True, but to be fair only baseball, basketball, football, and hockey have that rule.

Baseball, basketball, football, and hockey...

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Imagine having push notifications on at all, let alone for MLS. Jesus wept.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Robot Danger posted:

It looks like he has a single dreadlock rat tail

Oh he definitely does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

MLS, still leading the world in domestic violence arrests.

http://www.espnfc.us/houston-dynamo/story/3255227/houston-dynamo-keeper-tyler-deric-arrested-and-charged-with-misdemeanor-assault

• Locked thread