Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
green chicken feet
Nov 5, 2015

spray-paint the vegetables
dog food stalls
with the beefcake pantyhose
Grimey Drawer
... are you legally or morally culpable for the aftermath?

You may have read the story of a partially-clothed Florida man (of course) who killed two people in their own garage and was found chewing on the face of the man he had killed. Later, in an interview, Austin Harrouff stated that before he attacked the couple, he had been fleeing from a demon named Daniel.

No drugs such as bath salts were found in his system. However, Austin lived with his parents, and his mother mentioned that he claimed to have superpowers and had moved his bed to the garage because he was afraid of demons in the house. Also, earlier on the day of the attack, she'd found him trying to drink a bottle of cooking oil. She stopped him but later discovered him eating a bowl of cooking oil mixed with cheese.

I wondered how it was that his own family could let this go on. The demon thing could be a religious belief, but many insane people have committed murder because they suddenly decided a person was demon-possessed? Worthy of some kind of evaluation, anyway. And superpowers? And also you have him trying to drink something that clearly isn't intended as food?

Austin was a bodybuilder who majored in exercise science. He would know that you don't drink cooking oil - if he were in his right mind, that is. He might as well have been trying to drink a bottle of bleach except that cooking oil wouldn't directly kill him, only make him sick. Interestingly, in the garage after the murders, he drank a caustic chemical that burned his throat.

I think there's some culpability on his mother's part because she saw all of this going on and apparently shrugged it off. I wouldn't just tell my college-educated adult son to stop drinking cooking oil and then go "oh well" when he did it again later. As harsh as it would seem, I think he should have been Baker Acted until he could be formally diagnosed and treated. Then again, if he had been receiving help from the "I have superpowers" point, more drastic action might not have been necessary. His mother said he'd been acting strange for weeks.

I don't have any legal background, but I bet someone here does. And morally, what do you think your responsibility is if a close family member is going insane in a may-hurt-himself-or-others way and you don't take meaningful action?

http://www.wsbtv.com/news/dr-phil-interview-of-facebiting-suspect-to-be-released/498205298

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smoking_Dragon
Dec 12, 2001

WOE UNTO THEE
Pillbug
The best part of that story is everyone assumed he was on bath-salts but he turned out to be completely sober!

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

The free market would sort it out if we'd just take a step back from regulation and let it.

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

i heard that he had marijuana in his system and that he ate that guy's face because he had a bad case of the munchies.

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

cooking oil ---> cooking oil + cheese ---> ??? ---> man's face

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
loving florida

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...
SUCK THE SHIT STRAIGHT OUT OF MY OWN ASSHOLE.

BUY IT.
you're telling me this Daniel demon is still out there? :ohdear:

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

what were his powers

green chicken feet
Nov 5, 2015

dog food stalls
Grimey Drawer

Hell Yeah posted:

cooking oil ---> cooking oil + cheese ---> ??? ---> man's face

"cheese + man's face" is the missing phase, like eating cheese on broccoli to mask the strong flavor, and then you graduate to man's face sans cheese

Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib

green chicken feet posted:

I think there's some culpability on his mother's part because she saw all of this going on and apparently shrugged it off. I wouldn't just tell my college-educated adult son to stop drinking cooking oil and then go "oh well" when he did it again later. As harsh as it would seem, I think he should have been Baker Acted until he could be formally diagnosed and treated. Then again, if he had been receiving help from the "I have superpowers" point, more drastic action might not have been necessary. His mother said he'd been acting strange for weeks.

I don't have any legal background, but I bet someone here does. And morally, what do you think your responsibility is if a close family member is going insane in a may-hurt-himself-or-others way and you don't take meaningful action?

It isn't like she saw him doing something illegal, like smoking a joint. America is all about living your life with unlimited freedom.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
that op feels like d&d to me op

just basing this humble opinion on the first line + responses

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I think I kind of liken it to when your family member is really sick or injured and needs you to take them to the hospital but you don't.

Sucks that mental healthcare is so stigmatized and hard to get in this country. Sucks about our healthcare in general really.

Neutrino posted:

It isn't like she saw him doing something illegal, like smoking a joint. America is all about living your life with unlimited freedom.

Ordinarily sure but at some point you are not of sound mind and thus not capable of making free decisions on your own.

Like if someone just had their arm ripped off and is shock and says "I'm fine I don't need to go to the hospital" you don't just go "ok then" and walk away.

Gay Weed Dad
Jul 12, 2016

cool dude, flyin' high
Maybe he was constipated? If you're going to call the cops on everyone who seeks relief from constipation I've got a long list of names for ya pal!

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
see this is why you lease children instead of going all-in

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

he must have ate a man's face carved into cheese

green chicken feet
Nov 5, 2015

dog food stalls
Grimey Drawer

Parallax Scroll posted:

what were his powers

Probably the most important question that the article sadly leaves unanswered. Clearly nothing that would be useful in a fight with Daniel, so what good were they?

green chicken feet
Nov 5, 2015

dog food stalls
Grimey Drawer

The Protagonist posted:

that op feels like d&d to me op

just basing this humble opinion on the first line + responses

Maybe it will find a home there after it develops a healthy fear of the demons in GBS.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
I saw the thread title and thought this was gonna be an "if a tree falls in the forest" thing.

Jake Mustache
Feb 7, 2017
Just watched a chick eat 5 pounds of waffles on the youtube. I'm on the phone now with the loony bin on her behalf.

meet girls at the store
Nov 4, 2002
A cousin of mine went crazy when his wife filed for divorce, but all he did was Facebook post approximately 75-100 terrible redpill memes about how women be crazy in the span of about an hour, with increasingly incoherent captions. He also liked all of his own posts, the madman.

The whole family p much just watched and I think now he's in "rehab"

Lawrence Gilchrist
Mar 31, 2010

shes mentally fat

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
What if a family member is becoming a fat shut-in hardcore alcoholic? Should they do anything?

Macasaurus
Oct 12, 2012

Colonel Cancer posted:

What if a family member is becoming a fat shut-in hardcore alcoholic? Should they do anything?

:justpost:

guns for tits
Dec 25, 2014

Maybe he just thought faces taste good?

Jerry Mumphrey
Mar 11, 2004

by zen death robot

(and can't post for 4 years!)

I hear you get free popcorn chicken in jail. Not all you can eat but pretty drat close

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Smoking_Dragon posted:

The best part of that story is everyone assumed he was on bath-salts but he turned out to be completely sober!

sounds like the bath salt companies will easily win the libel lawsuit here.

Jerry Mumphrey posted:

I hear you get free popcorn chicken in jail. Not all you can eat but pretty drat close

Lemon
May 22, 2003

lol no the whole point is that your family members are the only people who know how crazy you really are and vice versa. you don't break that conspiracy of silence just because someone goes off the deep end and gets the munchies for a California Cheeseburger

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

The next Slenderman: Daniel

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Colonel Cancer posted:

Bro just leave me alone fucks sake

green chicken feet
Nov 5, 2015

dog food stalls
Grimey Drawer

Jake Mustache posted:

Just watched a chick eat 5 pounds of waffles on the youtube. I'm on the phone now with the loony bin on her behalf.

I was thinking of putting some kind of disclaimer on my original post because of that cooking lady on YouTube with the forehead so fat it sticks out as far as her nose. If you see a morbidly obese person eat a lot of something unhealthy, they probably aren't insane. They probably just have a severe eating disorder and at the worst they will die an early death but from prolonged illness rather than suddenly drinking bleach. Their bulk also severely impacts the mobility essential for an effective ambush-style attack.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

I was thinking of putting some kind of disclaimer on my original post because of that cooking lady on YouTube with the forehead so fat it sticks out as far as her nose. If you see a morbidly obese person eat a lot of something unhealthy, they probably aren't insane. They probably just have a severe eating disorder and at the worst they will die an early death but from prolonged illness rather than suddenly drinking bleach. Their bulk also severely impacts the mobility essential for an effective ambush-style attack.

what if they attack from uphill

Lemon
May 22, 2003

so wait are you saying you should only report your mental family members in case they are crazy enough to go on a killing spree, not out of concern for their wellbeing? pretty cold, dude

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Parallax Scroll posted:

what if they attack from uphill

please how are they gonna get uphill are you even thinking when you post god

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
Typical parents can be liable for he acts of their minor children if there is a history of violence.

Adults are typically responsible for their own behavior.

At any rate you need a violent history to get anywhere.

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3 fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Mar 3, 2017

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
No civil liability unless if they owed the face-chewee a special duty of care. No criminal liability unless if the jurisdiction has some bizzare and probably unconstitutional statute.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Moridin920 posted:

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Moridin920 posted:

maybe they're already up there

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

like that's where god put them

green chicken feet
Nov 5, 2015

dog food stalls
Grimey Drawer

Lemon posted:

so wait are you saying you should only report your mental family members in case they are crazy enough to go on a killing spree, not out of concern for their wellbeing? pretty cold, dude

Not sure about this but I don't think you can Baker Act someone for having an addiction. As far as maybe rehab being court-ordered, I'd imagine only if their addiction had somehow been to an illegal substance, or a factor in a crime...?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

green chicken feet
Nov 5, 2015

dog food stalls
Grimey Drawer

Colonel Cancer posted:

I'd try an intervention in that case. Might be applicable for alcoholics or food addicts.

• Locked thread