Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Calaveron posted:

Has anyone had to recharge their pro controllers since release

I haven't HAD to but for whatever reason plugged it in Friday and Saturday night. Haven't charged it since Sunday though and I'm gonna see how long I can go. I think I'm still well over 50%.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Just wanna say that Kass owns and so does his accordion music.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
And ANOTHER thing Nintendo! There's this weird orange dust all over my Sw-

Nevermind.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Yorkshire Tea posted:

Because the last time I put a screen protector on my Wii U I ended up living with bubbles over my screen for four years.

Are there any protectors that are actually worth a drat?

Screen protectors have always and forever been hot garbage on resistive touchscreens. Probably because resistive screens actually have some give to them so there's more opportunity for the screen protector to peel away from the surface of the screen. A good screen protector on a capacitive touch screen is about a billion times better if its done right.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
So many hidden fees and costs with this Switch. More like Reggie Fees A-may Apply. :smug:

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
For large swaths of this game, BotW feels nothing like a Zelda game. Then you'll come across a goofy character with a goofy storyline, or enter a new area and hear some familiar music, or you'll be looking around on the map and see a mountain or a lake named after a character from an old Zelda game (or just flat out named after an old Zelda game) and you feel that overwhelming feeling of nostalgia and HOLY poo poo THIS A ZELDA GAME.

GotY.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Yeah I should really clarify that I mean nothing like a 3D Zelda game. Which were pretty much all paint by numbers as far as the style of gameplay goes.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
They should've called this game The Legend of Zelda: Side Tracked

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
I worked at Best Buy for like 3 years....if it seems like someone is bullshitting you they probably are. Retail is full of lovely workers that don't give a gently caress about customers or being good at their jobs. They aren't rewarded for good customer service in any meaningful way.

They don't deserve to be treated like poo poo but they shouldn't be rewarded or coddled for lying to customers or being too lazy to provide customers with accurate information.

Just last weekend at launch night of the Switch I asked some blue shirt if they were going to have any Special Edition Zeldas and he fed me some line about how "we're not allowed to reveal any stock information" which I knew was bullshit (the dead giveaway was that he stood there without verifying it with anyone else even when I asked if he was sure). So I just walked over to customer service and asked that guy who said "no those were preorder only".

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

deadwing posted:

Lol my buddy who works at best buy told me that corporate was telling them to not reveal any switch related stock when asked for the launch but alright assume the guy was a dick

Except I didn't ask how many they had, I asked if they would have any at all. And this wasn't like a week before, this was at like 9pm the night before launch.

The irony is I drove straight over to Wal Mart and I asked the lady at the electronics department about the Zelda Special Editions and she said "Yeah we have six but I've already passed out 20-some tickets for Switches so they'll probably already be gone if you wait".

Compare that to blue shirt who expected me to wait in line for over an hour on a cold night only to walk in and find out "oh no we never had those unless you preordered one".

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
So, like 10 days in and I still have never used the JoyCon Grip for anything other than showing people how it works.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Nintendo just posted on their Facebook that there's a 30 minute behind the scenes making of Breath of the Wild. Premiering tomorrow morning at 9am ET. It says its a 3-part series, so I'm not sure if its three 10-minute episodes or three 30-minute episodes. Either way, should be cool to watch how they made this amazing game. Looks like they're gonna delve into the music as well which is awesome. That drat Rito Village theme is just :allears:

edit: its actually on the Legend of Zelda Facebook page, not the Nintendo Facebook page.

Here is the link to the preview: https://www.facebook.com/LegendofZelda/videos/1336831513044642/

Mahoning fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Mar 13, 2017

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Winning the holidays against a system that's already sold 50 million is like winning a fight against someone who just lived through a bear mauling.

We shouldn't be shaming Nintendo for doing the smart thing by not trying to go toe to toe with Sony.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
"I'm gonna take a 'wait and see' approach with this new console from Nintendo."

*Waits a week*

"WHY CAN'T I FIND A SWITCH ANYWHERE, JESUS CHRIST NINTENDO GET YOUR MANUFACTURING poo poo TOGETHER!"

I'd feel bad for these people if this didn't happen all the time with like every new popular video game thing. Especially NIntendo products.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

I've been at work all day and I just wanna go home and play more Zelda. I would bring it with me but that would set a poor example for the people I am technically supervising. At least with a laptop I can pretend to be working.

I am listening to the soundtrack though, man this poo poo is great. I love piano.

Open your laptop up and set your Switch up in tabletop mode on your keyboard. Then use the JoyCons from under your desk.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

The Bloop posted:

I haven't opened the CD that came with my special edition because I am afraid of spoilers and et cetera

Can confirm there are no spoilers on the CD. The track listings are literally like:

Kakariko Village (Day)
Kakariko Village (Night)
Riding (Day)
Riding (Night)
Kass' Theme

And on and on. Now that I've gotten pretty far in the game I realize there's a lot of cool stuff they left out. Probably for spoilery reasons.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
When it warms up a little bit and I start jogging outside again, I'm just going to load up the Guardian Battle track on loop since I'm now completely conditioned to run for my life as soon as I start hearing those piano notes.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

I know someone else said it earlier but god drat the Rito Village music is magical. Bonus points since I have always thought Pirates of Dragon Roost Island is the best Zelda song.

The night AND day themes are awesome. Day theme features I think a hammer dulcimer or something of the zither family, and night theme is more of like a Spanish guitar-type sound.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

enojy posted:

Oh, I guess play times are starting to show up on your profile today.

Uhhh welp I'm a goon I guess. I'm also only about halfway through the story of the game.

Oh boy, I can't wait to get home and realize how little meaning my life has.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Spellman posted:

Ugh if I don't put down Zelda I'm not going to get anything done, it's overwhelming

Ocarina of Time made Zelda 3D and is a drat good game, but Breath of the Wild seems like a real evolution of Zelda in every regard. And it's the first Nintendo game in a long time that has had this much meat to it.

I hope they keep making big open world games like this

You don't realize until playing Breath of the Wild that every 3D Zelda since OoT is just a re-skin of OoT (which was itself copied almost completely plot-wise from LttP). I have had fun playing every Zelda game, and I have played almost all of them, but this thing is on another level than all the others.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Report: After last charging my Pro Controller Sunday night March 5th, it finally gave me the low battery warning about 2 hours ago. My guess is I got at least 40 hours out of it if not more.

Also, I plugged it in next to the couch and was about to grab the Switch out of the dock when I realized I could keep playing with the Pro Controller while it was charging. For whatever reason that never occurred to me. Also, the placement of the charging port on the top of the controller makes it not a pain in the rear end to play and charge simultaneously.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Goons: leave your disgusting houses before applying any screen protectors.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
So I've been so engrossed in Zelda that I forgot to ever check the status of my left JoyCon. Tried it a little bit ago and I tried everything possible to get it to disconnect or whatever while I was on that control stick test screen. I was about 18-20 feet away with the JoyCon behind my back and it was still perfectly synced with my movement.

I ducked the JoyCon behind the couch and covered the JoyCon with my right hand. Only then was there a slight hitch in the on-screen movement. And that was at least 10 feet from the Switch.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

I Am Frick posted:

:siren: Splatoon 2 Global Testfire IS LIVE :siren:

Yeah, could you perhaps re-word that to "available for download". Since, y'know, its not actually live. It is, however, available for download.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Olivil posted:

To whoever watched the BoTW making of videos, are they spoilery? Haven't played the game yet but I'd like to watch them.

Not at all.

edit: Actually.....maybe a liiiiittle if you consider showing off some creative combat techniques to be spoilers. But story wise? Not at all.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Bombadilillo posted:

Maybe challange runs could be fun? Seeing how underpowered you can beat the game. I don't know and the answers might spoil things for me.

But I really think the trick to this game. And its a great trick. Its the unrivaled sense of discovery and freedom I've never experienced. Wind wakes hinted at it. But I quickly realized there was one thing a grid space. Besides I'm pretty sure this dwarfs the whole windwaker ocean. Its amazing and unique. But I will never again unknow what's waiting around the next corner or even better what's on top of the next mountain. Its that singular experience that I'm all in for and not challenge runs or the combat trials. Its discovering the world. I'm kind of sad to unlock my last 2 uncharted regions. I don't want it to end so I've taken to exploring and grinding for outfit upgrades.

It is kind of a bummer to unlock all the map sections at first. But then when you feel like you've gone everywhere, you look closely at the map and realize there are tons of areas you've never explored, or it's literally been a week since you last visited that one area. It's crazy how awesome this game is.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Infinitum posted:

The US is weird.

I just walked into a store, preordered, and knew I was guaranteed my order, because that's how poo poo works in a sane country.

How much did you pay for your Switch and all the accessories again? :smug:

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
So, apparently plugging a USB-C extension cable into the dock works for playing your Switch in TV mode without having to actually put it in the dock.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Speaking of light guns, I wish they would make another console Point Blank. That poo poo was awesome. I still have the DS version somewhere in my house, but that wasn't as fun as the guns that came with the PlayStation version.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

inferis posted:

I'm not carrying around a cd binder, I can carry all the games in the case I'm already carrying my switch. Is this some fantasy scenario where everyone wants to play Mario kart but not if it takes 10 seconds to put the game in?

I was gonna say this.....what the gently caress are you guys carrying your Switch in that you wouldn't also always have all your cartridges with you?

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Kaboobi posted:

Will one of the iPad power bricks with a USB-C cable plugged into it eventually charge the switch?

Yes. I think I went from 40% to around 97% in about 2 hours. The Switch was in sleep mode. And it was the cable that came with the Pro Controller.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Oh holy poo poo I almost pissed myself. :lol:

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Viewtiful Jew posted:

So the good thing about this video about whether there is a pro-Nintendo bias in game reviews is that this is the one time I can say "Have I got good news for you." if you watch this and for some reason are so mad at the guy in the middle you wish he was reprimanded in some way...

Like first of all take a step back and realize how much energy you're putting into about getting mad at somebody's opinion about video games.

But then hold on because like I said before you are gonna get some good news.

Edit: "Nobody would have given a poo poo about Splatoon if it came out on PS4 or Xbox One."

Woo boy. That is some logical thinking there.

"Everyone in the gaming media is biased! Not me though. :smug:"

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
I don't get it.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
For the life of me I can't understand why that comic is some repeated joke that people think is funny. Is there some backstory to it that I'm missing? Otherwise, it's not good enough to be famous for being good, yet not bad enough to be famous for being bad. It's just there. And nerds for whatever reason think it's hilarious. Because "webcomic" lol amiright.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Oh, poor guys, did I make fun of your favorite internet in-joke dead horse? I'm sure the poor web comic required you white knights valiantly jumping to its defense.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

You're getting pretty huffy and rude over a simple internet joke, dude

Is this Something Awful dot com or am I on the wrong website?

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Mario Kart Wii is the sixth best selling video game in the history of video games. I think if the Switch sells significantly better than the several dozen Wii U's that were sold in its lifetime, that Mario Kart 8 Deluxe will sell a ton of systems.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Harlock posted:

We all want Wii Sports

Everyone says this but I think Wii Sports Resort was way better. It had a better version of Bowling, and the best thing nobody ever talks about : the basketball 3-point shootout. My siblings and I played the poo poo out of that every time they came home for holidays.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Pants Donkey posted:

I'd still like discounts on Deluxe games so Wii U owners who felt burned are encouraged to pick up the Switch. Something like "Hey, you registered these games on your Wii U account, so here's 50% off on Mario Kart and Smash Deluxe, thanks for supporting us in spite of our garbage fire system."

Not that this is going to happen. Not from the company that charges five dollars for the privilege of owning Super Mario Bros. on another system.

Nobody should be rewarded for buying a Wii U.

• Locked thread